closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fountain pens who uses them?

Master

Re: Fountain pens who uses them?

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary
    Are these still available to buy or were they a special edition and now sold out? It's probably the latter knowing my luck.
    Not surprised you like them Gary, they do have a strong appeal to those with an eye for design!

The originals were from the 1970s and are now collector's items - they can still be found but as they were Japanese Domestic Market the majority of them have a Fine nib (Japanese standards of fine means an Extra-fine to us) - the Medium nibs command a higher price as writing styles have changed and westerners have 'discovered' them. The Pilot 90 was essentially a re-issue with a few design tweaks (which detracted from the original minimalist aesthetic for me although I still bought one). As I recall it was released in a limited run and at the time there was a clamour for them as people who had been frustrated in their search for an original all leapt on them.

Here are some quick shots of one of my original versions.

Capped - it has a short profile typical of many modern Japanese pens of the era.

Uncapped - you can see the relative lengths look disproportionate to what we are accustomed to.

Posted (the geeky pen term for putting the cap on the end of the barrel - in this case it 'makes' the pen).

The integrated nib.

There have been a few fully integrated nib designs, some here of a certain vintage may recall the Parker 50 'Falcon' which was produced from 1977 to 1983. It was never quite the hit it could have been but I loved it from first sight and have now got a few examples (one of which is in daily use and which always draws comment due to the sleek design - apart of course from the novelty of seeing someone using a fountain pen). The Falcon has a lot of quirks and finding a good example with the clip retaining ring intact is increasingly difficult as they were a design weak point. The nib however is a wonderful performer and that's why it's one of the only non italic/obliques that make it into my regular carry.

Other than that, fully integrated nibs have rarely taken hold - one of the rarest is the Parker T-1 (made of titanium) but they are quite hard to find and there's just something about them which doesn't quite work for me.

And if you drop them it's a good time to practice your metalwork skills or to find a really good repairer...

Master

These days use them for special occasions, writing cards, personal notes and letters etc. My favourite is a 1940's ('47 from the little research I've done) Parker 51 which NeilC very kindly agreed to sell me a while back. Trouble is it's now the wife's favourite pen too :roll:
    <cough>

You are supposed to say that your absolute favourite is a Henry Dreyfuss designed 1940s vintage Eversharp Skyline which an extremely nice chap gave you at a GTG organised by another extremely nice chap (and a lovely lady).

</cough>

Master

I've been using a WHSmith el cheapo fountain pen for exams at college and love writing with it, it seems go get through loads of ink, a large cartridge will only last a day or two of note taking.
    I would love a decent pen but have a habit of losing things.

Journeyman

I have a couple of decent fountain pens but tend not to use them as I fly an awful lot and my pens don't like flying. Something to do with pressurisation that makes them leak.

I love writing with a fountain pen. It makes buying decent notebooks worthwhile as they feel awful on cheap paper, or rather they feel beautiful on good paper.

Quote Originally Posted by IANAN
    <cough>

You are supposed to say that your absolute favourite is a Henry Dreyfuss designed 1940s vintage Eversharp Skyline which an extremely nice chap gave you at a GTG organised by another extremely nice chap (and a lovely lady).

</cough>
    :lol: I know my friend but as you well know I'm a sucker for innovative and well designed items, whether they be pens, watches or anything else for that matter. So the Parker 51, like the Pilot 90, hits all the right spots for me, plus it's so damn smooth to write with.

Thanks of the pics and details of other integrated nib pens. The Pilot 90 does have a pretty short body but I do love the design, it sort of takes Raymond Loewy's streamline theories to the max.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master

:lol: I know my friend but as you well know I'm a sucker for innovative and well designed items, whether they be pens, watches or anything else for that matter. So the Parker 51, like the Pilot 90, hits all the right spots for me, plus it's so damn smooth to write with.

Thanks of the pics and details of other integrated nib pens. The Pilot 90 does have a pretty short body but I do love the design, it sort of takes Raymond Loewy's streamline theories to the max.

Cheers,
    Gary
    No worries chap, after all you did very kindly give me the boots (which are now with Mike). If you get the chance to try a Myu then it's a worthwhile experience, the newer P90 is very close to the original and may be easier to find in a medium nib but as only 9,000 were made you will most likely find them overseas. I know one person who has had their original re-ground to an italic but I just don't have the heart to spoil a rare pen. There is a slightly more easiliy available version called the MuRex (I have one in front of me as I type) but the style is less clean and minimalist (modelled on a quill pen).

Be aware that a lot of people incorrectly interchange the names Myu and MuRex. The one I showed above is the Myu 701, the MuRex is a different (and much longer when capped - slightly longer when posted) pen but a similar design with a similar production period. The MuRexes are generally less expensive due to the lower demand for them.

Myu 701 and MuRex (the MuRex was also available in other coloured trim versions). The black striped Myus are rarer than the plain and command high prices, there is also a white striped 701 but that is almost impossible to find.

Just got my first fountain pen from Parker. Not sure how useful it will be for me if I do write a lot as it uses a lot of ink quickly, but I still love it nonetheless :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by hyl1987
    Just got my first fountain pen from Parker. Not sure how useful it will be for me if I do write a lot as it uses a lot of ink quickly, but I still love it nonetheless :D
    If you are not using bottled ink and a converter then get one, you will save a fortune compared to buying cartridges!

I have a few (36 to be precise filling a case) of all shapes and sizes. Montblancs, CS, Pelikans, yard o led , Visconti amongst others. Currently using a rather splendid Nakaya from Japan.

Craftsman

Public Service Announcement.

It's Sheaffer.

Thank you.
    Unless it's pre-1964, then it's "Sheaffer'S".

I have a meistersteck (spelling wrong) that I used when I sat my professional exams, so its value its very sentimental to me.

I love writing with it, although I dont use it as much as I would like to

Master

I use fountain pens regularly (about 99% percent of the time). At them moment, my so-called collection consists in only 2 models: one Waterman Hemisphere and one Parker Vector.

Master

I mentioned yesterday that I'd post the inks I use, so...

Perle Noire - J. Herbin - black
    Grand Canyon - Caran d'Ache Colours of the Earth - brown
    Lierre Sauvage - J. Herbin - green

I'm by no means an expert on pens, but after a fair bit of trial and error, I've found those three to be pleasant to use and appealing on the paper.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal
    Public Service Announcement.

It's Sheaffer.

Thank you.
    Unless it's pre-1964, then it's "Sheaffer'S".
    There has been a considerable degree of variation in the name imprinted on the pens themselves and to a lesser degree of the trading name of the company, for example, on early models of the 'Flat-top' (not a model name that the company used) the clip was marked as "Sheaffer-clip" changing to "Sheaffer's" in 1922. The inscription on the barrels were generally W.A. Sheaffer Pen Co. as the major text with other information around it. For a time the clip was simply adorned with a white dot symbolising the lifetime guarantee (Parker liked the idea and used a blue diamond on their clips for a while). However, the name of the family of the company was "Sheaffer". The company was acquired by Textron in 1966 and then in 1976 was partnered with the stationery company Eaton at which time the name became Sheaffer-Eaton (a division of Textron).

In 1988 the company was sold again a subsidiary of a Swiss merchant banking interest (Gefinor USA) as the previous owners had failed to see the potential value of the Sheaffer-Eaton brand and overstretched in other areas. Ten years later what by now was known as the Sheaffer Group was sold again, this time to the US arm of Bic S.A. (known for some of the cheapest pens on the market).

However, the heart of the name since the foundation of the Sheaffer Pen Corp. in 1912 and its incorporation as the W.A. Sheaffer Pen Company in 1913, has been Sheaffer.

Here's my ink supply on the bottom shelf...

Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries

I've mistakenly over ordered cartridges for my Waterman Etalon...

Not sure how that happened - but I won't need to re-order for a while :)
    z

I have a Waterman that I've had for years, still an absolute pleasure to use daily.

whats the best way to get started with fountain pens?

any good budget pens to look out for?

Master

Most people get on perfectly well with a cheap starter, the days of ink all over your fingers and leaks are in the past (well mostly in the past). The standard suggestion is usually a Lamy Safari but I have a few issues with the shaped section (the bit your fingers grip) - ebay is the cheapest source for these. You don't need to spend much to get an idea of whether it is for you or not and in time you will probably develop specific tastes with the size of the pen, weight and balance, nib, ink and paper - it's a gradual build of experience that can go as far as you want it to.

I use a lot of those disposable fountain pens you can buy in stationers on railway. Can't remember the name of them, but they write very nicely.

I have a few proper pens but hardly ever use them; a few Conway Stewarts (including one rare one), Wahl Eversharps, Parkers and a few others I think. I wouldn't class myself as a collector necessarily. I keep thinking I should fill them up and use them but the truth is I don't trust myself not to lose them. I'm always leaving the disposable ones in peoples' meeting rooms and I'd hate to do that with a proper pen.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I use 2 or 3 every day (different coloured ink) and I also shave with a DE razor. I don't own a satnav, I use maps and I polish my shoes/boots with real polish. I don't own an e-reader, all my reading is from the printed page.

Eddie
    Yeah, but I bet you don't use Izal toilet paper do you ? :D

I've got a few FP's. Parker, Pilot, Pelikan. But my favourite is the Lamy with a 1.1 italic nib.

As IANAN says, the Lamy safari is a great starter and the one I always go back to.
    They're about £15-£20 and the nibs are a doddle to change.
    Also the Safari doesn't seem to mind being left unused for a while and just fire straight up again. Good pen.
    If you don't like the grip then a Lamy 2000 is a bit more money.

http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/showpro ... i&cat=pens

Let's see.. I have a Montblanc 32, a vintage school pen, aksny Nexx with an Italic 1,1mm, nib, a Lamy Studio with a fine nib, a lousy, Parker IM with a fine nib and a Lamy 2000 that is currently in repair.
    I use Pelican blue, Lamy blueblack, and Noodlers. With a simple, Lamy, writing can be such fun.

Grand Master

I always used fountain pens at work for writing up official Laboratory Notebooks; looked much better IMO and forced me to write more neatly.

15yrs ago the company changed supplier of notebooks; the paper was much poorer quality and wasn`t suitable for use with ink.....despite these notebooks being classed as legal documents Astrazeneca skimped on the quality of the paper. That's when I stopped using an ink pen.

Now I`m retired I don`t do much writing at all.....although I keep a notebook recording all my watch work.

Paul

I've just found this topic while searching for a fountain pen topic and i'm glad to see that there are some penthusiastic people here!

Anyone into the vintage fountain pen flex nib experience?

If so....can you show some examples of your handwriting??

Grand Master

I use a nice Fountain to sign cheques and signatures off, notes are taken in pencil, and ballpoint for everything else
    RIAC

lamy al-star. love it.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Am I the only person who feels guilty for not using one? I love the idea, but in practice I never get round to it.

I somehow overlooked this thread!

I use them regularly as ballpoint writing makes my fingers hurt really soon!

I use a german (Waldmann) pen for basic writing, a Pilot 742 FA (kind of flexy) alternated by a Nakaya when I feel inspired.

I have a parker model 51 which I use occasionally; should probably use it more - not sure if they dry up or not? - maybe someone could advise?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by wadsy
    I have a parker model 51 which I use occasionally; should probably use it more - not sure if they dry up or not? - maybe someone could advise?

Cheers
    Soak it perodically in water and give it a good flush through.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by @lf
    I've just found this topic while searching for a fountain pen topic and i'm glad to see that there are some penthusiastic people here!

I was at the South-West Pen Show a few weeks ago and saw some superb flex nibs but my Spencerian is shaky at best so I stick to oblique and crisp italic nibs.

Here's a hint at a few of the fountain pens I've amassed over about 35 years of collecting them...

Been a daily user since school - have over 400 now (bit of a collector).
    Might well be the understatement of the year.

I just have the one, a MontBlanc le Grande, i have had it in a draw for years & only dug it out because i was in John Lewis nosing around & they had the cartridges on sale (i hate messing around with the ink well) so i bought a twin pack & it is now back in action. Nothing writes quite so beautifully as a quality ink pen.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I use 2 or 3 every day (different coloured ink) and I also shave with a DE razor.
    Pah! New-fangled modern toys. Use a proper straight razor, young man.

I love writing with fountain pens - in theory. In practice, I don't write at all any more. I at most just jot something down, and when I do that my fountain pen isn't around (or has dried up). I have a notebook and a fountain pen to use in meetings, but I try (rather successfully) to avoid going to meetings. So most of my writing will be done with a fisher space pen...

...because it is the most readily available...

I also consider it one of the most beautiful and ingenious writing implements, if it has to be a ballpoint, it'll be this that I'm using.

I don't have a really good pen, I always used the cheap ones you get at the stationer's. Had a couple of Parkers, but only the cheap, not the nice ones. I always wanted a really nice and expensive one, but as I went out to buy one I spent too long looking until the reason got the better of me, I realised that I hardly ever write and that all I'd be doing with it would be cleaning and re-filling every time I want to write a couple of words. So I chickened out and got this cheap Pelikan, which I use for an odd meeting and for work logs:

I guess I should get at least one nice vintage pen with a proper gold nib, if only to look at it... But I'm a bit out of my depth and lack the expertise and knowledge to find one I like.

Quote Originally Posted by @lf

I was at the South-West Pen Show a few weeks ago and saw some superb flex nibs but my Spencerian is shaky at best so I stick to oblique and crisp italic nibs.

Here's a hint at a few of the fountain pens I've amassed over about 35 years of collecting them...
    Will you please stop reminding me how inadequate my own collection is :lol: :lol:

Having seen some of these pens in the, er, celluloid - I can vouch for their total loveliness.

Journeyman

i use a late 40's Parker 51 for all usual jottings, and a fine nibbed Mabie & Todd that was my grand mothers that i recently had re-nibbed and bladdered (pen wizard). i think it's from 1926 and came with a diary. posh grand parents :)

also DE shaving and a singlespeed push bike.

it's the future

Quote Originally Posted by horrovac
    So most of my writing will be done with a fisher space pen...

I also consider it one of the most beautiful and ingenious writing implements, if it has to be a ballpoint, it'll be this that I'm using.

I'm another fan of the Fisher space pen.

I use mine when I am reclining on the sofa and doing a crossword with the pen held vertically (I'm very slothful :lol: )

Any other biro will stop.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I use a obtain pen all most daily. I enjoy writing with it and even more when I get customer to use it to sign orders :)

Craftsman

I use a Mont Blanc pen daily at work, I enjoy the feel of it above a normal pen.

Master

Use them at work all the time.Had a computer in my offce but didn't like it,had them take it away and now if i want to send an e mail i write it out and and give it to my secretary to send.(lol) have - Parker Duofold, Parker 51 and Montblanc noblesse .

I write a lot but I type it all rather than using a pen. :)

The only time I use a fountain pen these days is for cards and hand-written letters. I have a cheap pen in my desk that suffices but it tends to scratch. I haven't spent much time looking but no pens really seem to allow me to write as quickly as I like without the ink going into parallel lines (I'm sure there's a term for that). Perhaps I'm pressing too heavily?

My Father collects pens - IANAN was kind enough to give me a few pointers last year re: potential presents - and it's his birthday coming up so this thread is a good prompt. :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega
    I haven't spent much time looking but no pens really seem to allow me to write as quickly as I like without the ink going into parallel lines (I'm sure there's a term for that). Perhaps I'm pressing too heavily?
    Quite common in people who have mainly used a ballpen or rollerball. The trick of pressing very lightly takes a bit of getting used to and some folk never quite get the hang of it (or forget from time-to-time), if they still want a fountain pen I usually suggest something which has a reputation of having a very firm nib and is a consistent writer. The best I have ever come across for this is the Waterman Carene which has a superb 14k Gold nib which is amazingly resilient to being used with the sort of pressure which would distort a more flexible nib.

Edit: Speech-to-text software doesn't like multi-tasking (or to put it another way - user error).

I haven't spent much time looking but no pens really seem to allow me to write as quickly as I like without the ink going into parallel lines (I'm sure there's a term for that). Perhaps I'm pressing too heavily?
    Quite common in people who have mainly used a ballpen or rollerball. The trick of pressing very lightly takes a bit of getting useful and some folk never quite get the hang of it or forget from time-to-time, if they still want a fountain pen I usually suggest something which has a reputation of having a very firm nib and is a consistent writer. The best I have ever come across for this is the Waterman Carene which has a superb 14k Gold nib which is amazingly resilient to being used with the sort of pressure which would distort a more flexible nib.
    Thanks - great stuff. 8)

Lamy Safari for me , work nicely and easily replaced when your mates take a liking to them ...

Master

Good timing for this thread to come around.
    I use a cheapo Parker Vector, when I'm not using the mechanical pencil and have been thinking about upgrading for a little while, maybe up to £50.

So Lamy seems to be the go to brand for say £10-30?

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008
    I use a cheapo Parker Vector, when I'm not using the mechanical pencil and have been thinking about upgrading for a little while, maybe up to £50.

Well, the Lamy Safari sure is a great starter into the world of fountain pens....and once you get the hang of it it will be as addictive as collecting watches :)

Master

Lamy is pretty well the standard introduction to fountain pen use. The Safari and Al-Star are basically the same except for the body materials. The major advantage is that the nibs can be swapped over in seconds to try different widths and types but the disadvantage for me is that the section (the bit you grip) is shaped for a standard hold - it doesn't suit my style all that well so I prefer a plain section. Having said that there are huge numbers of very happy Lamy users out there. If you do get one, try to get the converter so you can use bottled ink, the savings will be considerable!

Master

Not necessarily....

Check out Parker's range. I rather like this one available from Amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Parker-Fountain ... 25&sr=8-11

Rob

Quite common in people who have mainly used a ballpen or rollerball. The trick of pressing very lightly takes a bit of getting used to and some folk never quite get the hang of it (or forget from time-to-time), if they still want a fountain pen I usually suggest something which has a reputation of having a very firm nib and is a consistent writer. The best I have ever come across for this is the Waterman Carene which has a superb 14k Gold nib which is amazingly resilient to being used with the sort of pressure which would distort a more flexible nib.

Edit: Speech-to-text software doesn't like multi-tasking (or to put it another way - user error).
    Interesting- my handwriting is normally appalling but since graduating to a fountain pen I think its become more legible because I've slowed down.