Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jeremy Clarkson on Watches

Banned
    Blog Entries

Re: Jeremy Clarkson on Watches

Quote Originally Posted by paul.in.kendal
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock
    Top man in my book.

Not afraid to say what he thinks regardless of what others might say, which in a world of fear mongering and PC bullshit, I find rather refreshing.
    This just points up the dangerous ambiguity of Clarkson's media persona. On the one hand we critics are told we shouldn't take him so seriously, as it's all just lighthearted banter from a comic alter-ego. But on the other hand it's clear (as above) that even some of his own fans seriously think he genuinely believes what he says!

As for dumping 'PC bullshit', it's about time we recognised that PC is really about requiring us all to dump racist and sexist attitudes that underpin the sorts of crimes that Gary Dobson and David Norris have now - finally - been convicted of.
    FFS! :roll:

Master

Clarkson is ace, have to agree with some of his comments, although I won't disclose which! He's just forthright and gives his opinion, I respect him for that. It doesn't mean you have to agree with what he says!

Grand Master

Top man in my book.

Not afraid to say what he thinks regardless of what others might say, which in a world of fear mongering and PC bullshit, I find rather refreshing.
    This just points up the dangerous ambiguity of Clarkson's media persona. On the one hand we critics are told we shouldn't take him so seriously, as it's all just lighthearted banter from a comic alter-ego. But on the other hand it's clear (as above) that even some of his own fans seriously think he genuinely believes what he says!

As for dumping 'PC bullshit', it's about time we recognised that PC is really about requiring us all to dump racist and sexist attitudes that underpin the sorts of crimes that Gary Dobson and David Norris have now - finally - been convicted of.
    Now there's a man who doesn't understand the menacing nature of Political Correction!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Are we all agreed though that Richard 'The Hamster' Hammond is a complete waste of (very little) flesh! :D :D

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries

What happened to Stephen Lawrence has no place being discussed in this thread. To link a racially motivated MURDER to a tv personality with verbal diarrhea is shameful!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Top man in my book.

Now there's a man who doesn't understand the menacing nature of Political Correction!

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R
    What happened to Stephen Lawrence has no place being discussed in this thread. To link a racially motivated MURDER to a tv personality with verbal diarrhea is shameful!
    You protest too much. I claimed that Clarkson's racism/sexism is not merely 'harmless banter', and that those who dismiss political correctness as 'bullshit' ignore the fact that PC is a determined attempt to address (among other things) the racism that underpinned the attack on Stephen Lawrence. That seems like a perfectly legitimate line of argument to me.

Grand Master

You protest too much. I claimed that Clarkson's racism/sexism is not merely 'harmless banter', and that those who dismiss political correctness as 'bullshit' ignore the fact that PC is a determined attempt to address (among other things) the racism that underpinned the attack on Stephen Lawrence. That seems like a perfectly legitimate line of argument to me.
    Again, you don't know what Political Correction is, or why so many people detest it. You've smoothly linked it to racist murders, and very much in the wrong forum too.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Well said. Your comments have been entirely appropriate and in context.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    Well said. Your comments have been entirely appropriate and in context.
    Please justify that fatuous statement and inform the board just who Clarkson has murdered. :roll:

And tell the board if you believe Clarkson was actually inciting the murder of the strikers.

If you do then you really need to get out more. :D
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Master

Clarkson is a knob!!!

Quote Originally Posted by watchmad
    Clarkson is a knob!!!
    True. :mrgreen:

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

Blog Entries

Clarkson is a knob!!!
    But not a racist murderer.....

Seems like a totally ludicrous argument to me and invoking the case to prove a point about a controversial TV personality is not in very good taste, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bond
    Clarkson said:_

Have you noticed something odd about Rolexes? Especially the modern ones that wind automatically when you move your wrist about?

So whats in his seamaster or railmaster? Quartz? Thought it was only seamaster in quartz and railmaster was the co axythingy? How else does he think other autos work ?
    He just said it to make a point. See the following couple of sentences.

This is all getting very silly indeed. I didn't for a moment suggest Clarkson is a racist murderer, and of course I don't believe Clarkson was trying to incite the murder of strikers.

I tried to make two points; one, that when Clarkson uses racism as 'lighthearted banter', some people - alarmingly including quite a few people posting on here - think he actually means it. I don't think he means it, for a moment. But that ambiguity in some people's minds (does he mean it or doesn't he?) makes his use of non-PC racism and sexism unhealthy, to say the very least.

And second, I was making the wider point (and NOT directly linking Clarkson with murder, for goodness sake) that it's important not to forget why PC really matters, that
    PC is really about requiring us all to dump racist and sexist attitudes that underpin the sorts of crimes that Gary Dobson and David Norris have now - finally - been convicted of.
    To be clear, I'm saying PC matters because it addresses genuinely held the racist attitudes which were behind the motivation for Stephen Lawrence's murder. Not in poor taste at all.

Blog Entries

You, sir, are an idiot.

Political correctness is completely different to MORAL CORRECTNESS. I am in no way racist or sexist, i work for a living and pay my taxes and my way, because I have been brought up with a moral compass. Political correctness is people toeing the line because people are watching..... Nick Griffin can be PC when he wants to be (and people are watching) does that make him and HIS skewed views acceptable if he states/discusses them in a PC manner??

This is all getting very silly indeed. I didn't for a moment suggest Clarkson is a racist murderer, and of course I don't believe Clarkson was trying to incite the murder of strikers.

I tried to make two points; one, that when Clarkson uses racism as 'lighthearted banter', some people - alarmingly including quite a few people posting on here - think he actually means it. I don't think he means it, for a moment. But that ambiguity in some people's minds (does he mean it or doesn't he?) makes his use of non-PC racism and sexism unhealthy, to say the very least.

And second, I was making the wider point (and NOT directly linking Clarkson with murder, for goodness sake) that it's important not to forget why PC really matters, that
    PC is really about requiring us all to dump racist and sexist attitudes that underpin the sorts of crimes that Gary Dobson and David Norris have now - finally - been convicted of.
    To be clear, I'm saying PC matters because it addresses genuinely held the racist attitudes which were behind the motivation for Stephen Lawrence's murder. Not in poor taste at all.

Erm, this is still Watch Talk isn't it? :wink:

Top man in my book.

Are we still talking about the future Prime Minister (Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear) or have I missed something? :lol:
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

To me, Clarkson is the pub bore you'd be edging away from if you met him at the bar. Amusing for a few moments perhaps, but strictly limited in content,
    particularly when you've heard it all before. In fact, his comments on the "One Show" showed me that he is, in fact, a poor Ben Elton ("Oooooh, a bit
    political there..."). He's not a comedian, he hasn't got the timing.

I do like his xxxl Railmaster though.
    ______

​Jim.

You, sir, are an idiot.
    As already pointed out, you're not in The Bear Pit now - even if you do prefix the personal insult with a 'sir'.
    Political correctness is people toeing the line because people are watching.
    No, that is a crude and inaccurate caricature of PC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663
    I do like his xxxl Railmaster though.
    I haven't seen him wearing that for ages. For at least the last 3-4 years, he's been wearing an XL Planet Ocean. Still a prat though - albeit an (at times) entertaining one.

This thread seems to have decsended into a storm in a tea cup. Some like him, some don't (I do). But surely anyone with any common sense knows what to take with a pinch of salt and what not to......

Blog Entries

You, sir, are an idiot.
    As already pointed out, you're not in The Bear Pit now - even if you do prefix the personal insult with a 'sir'.
    I love edited quotes!

If we were in the pit, you'd be a ****!

Political correctness is FALSE. It is, by definition, correcctness for political sake.

You, sir, are an idiot.
    I love edited quotes!

If we were in the pit, you'd be a ****!

Political correctness is FALSE. It is, by definition, correcctness for political sake.
    Get a room you two.

This is Watch Talk, not Trash Talk. :roll:

Jeremy Clarkson is cool to watch.

Great he is an Omega-man..But I expected him to wear a Speedmaster, instead of a Railmaster.

Jeremy Claskson is cool.

Craftsman

This thread really has evolved. My tuppence worth:

I really enjoy Top Gear. Not as a car show but as an entertaintment programme. Clarkson is bright and amusing IMO. He says things to create a reaction. That's how he works. Anyone who thinks he really would shoot a public sector worker is not living in the real world. It may have been bad taste but it was a joke.

As for the 911 as a 997 Carrera 2 owner there isn't really a better daily user super(ish) car. Yes the back can flip out if you don't know to drive them but no one can doubt that the 911 is an icon and just beautiful to look at from all angles.

All I know is, after reading that Jeremy Clarkson punched Piers Morgan in the face. :blackeye: He is beyond cool at this point. 8) Piers Morgan replaced Larry King on TV in the United States. :usa2: He is so bad as an interviewer you actually miss Larry King. :sleepy2: :lol: Not only that. Piers Morgan seems mean too. He worked for a tabloid in England that treated people like meanly. So, forget him. :evil4: It is so true. There are two types of British people. The snobby British people. :pottytrain1: And the British people that would give the shirt :tshirt: of their back to help you. :salute: 8)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

:roll: :roll: watch talk, i think you really should edit out the swearing. :roll: :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408
    :roll: :roll: watch talk, i think you really should edit out the swearing. :roll: :roll:
    I hope Jeremy Clarkson didn't break his Omega watch when he punched Piers Morgan in the face. :blackeye: :lol:

Master

the only thing in the world worse than a fake Rolex is a real one.
    :lol:

I really enjoy Top Gear. Not as a car show but as an entertaintment programme. Clarkson is bright and amusing IMO. He says things to create a reaction. That's how he works. Anyone who thinks he really would shoot a public sector worker is not living in the real world. It may have been bad taste but it was a joke.
    absolutely, and he knows that some will take it all too seriously and think he is an arse, but for the others it's a bit of entertainment, and that is what he is thinking just before he checks his bank statement again and then thinking "I must be doing something right".

What i can't understand is why chaps on here fall out over it.

Master

in fact just wondering what Clarkson's comments would be if he was reading this thread, probably "haven't they got something better to do" :roll:

Could we stop being so outraged when somebody says something stupid?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ing-stupid

All the wankers on this forum should fuck off and die. :twisted:

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

john
    I'll take that as a personal insult! :evil: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by BSB

john
    I'll take that as a personal insult! :evil: :lol:
    :lol:

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

the man says something wise from time to time...

Craftsman

I know Clarkson oft' drives people to it, but there is some rather choice language around here at the moment.

john
    Don't hold back - say what you really feel. :)

Master

So let me get this straight. A man whose job is going on the telly and saying stuff which isn't necessarily his opinion, but is intended to provoke a reaction, has said something about a watch. And this thread runs to ten pages? :roll:

I like Top Gear, but I wouldn't want to sit next to Clarkson's TV persona at a dinner party.

.....................................with verbal diarrhea is shameful!
    I didn't know that diarrhoea could also be spelled diarrhea until I checked on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diarrhea. This thread is truly educational. If I ever have to self certify I shall do so with increased self confidence.

Cheers
    Dave

On that same page 'traveller' is spelt 'traveler', 'organisation' is spelt 'organization' and 'anaemic' is spelt 'anemic'.

Diarrhoea is spelt 'diarrhoea', NOT 'diarrhea'.

Master

Top man in my book.

As for his personal tastes, that's his choice.
    OK, so don't be afraid, go into the office/place of work/street/pub/chess club and tell everyone what your views are on them, politics etc etc..

At best you'll get into and argument, arrested or at worst have your head kicked in. Saying what you think isn't always "refeshing" as can and will offend people...hence why most people think Clarkson is a goon/knob/tw@t/ahole.

I'd be at the front of the queue.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims
    Clarkson wears Omega. Hardly a positive marketing statement is it?

He doesn't like 911's either. Shows what he knows.
    :-) .... 911 is my dream car!!

Top man in my book.

OK, so don't be afraid, go into the office/place of work/street/pub/chess club and tell everyone what your views are on them, politics etc etc..

At best you'll get into and argument, arrested or at worst have your head kicked in. Saying what you think isn't always "refeshing" as can and will offend people...hence why most people think Clarkson is a goon/knob/tw@t/ahole.

I have no problem expressing my viewpoints in life but guess that's down to confidence. As for Clarkson, his telly persona is used to get a reaction which is the reason it's amusing and occasionally he's spot on which is why I find him refreshing, just don't believe everything you hear!
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Banned
    Blog Entries

Top man in my book.

I disagree about the "most people". If that was true then he wouldn't be doing why he does very successfully. Those who don't like him are actually in the minority, although ironically they are the ones who shout their mouth off about it. Most people just watch him on the tele and leave it at that. It's Top Gear not question time. Oh god, now that's an idea!!!

Quote Originally Posted by williams
    the man says something wise from time to time...
    unfortunately not about cars anymore... :blah5:

Journeyman

Have to admit, I look forward to reading his column in Top Gear magazine every month. Usually get a chuckle or two.

Top man in my book.

He pulls in 2 million a year. :shock:

Not bad for a goon/knob/tw@t/ahole. :lol: