closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 'Vintage' Perforated Leather PLEASE!

'Vintage' Perforated Leather PLEASE!

Would someone a bit 'Handy' at strapmaking please start making these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180717618174? ... 1423.l2649

There's a huge market to be tapped here, as they are so hard to find :bounce: 24-22-20-18mm but MUST have 16mm buckles ONLY 8) for that sexy taper. No thick horsehide jobs either, a supple calfskin would suffice.

I'll have one of each as a commission for allowing you to get rich :wink:

Banned

Re: 'Vintage' Perforated Leather PLEASE!

I've often thought this. They are always a demand for these with the Heuer guys. The original ones sell for stupid money.

I mentioned in another post that I will buy plain vintage ones & punch my own holes.

Tried that a couple of times....and trashed a couple of very nice straps in the process :evil:

I reckon these could pe pumped out at £50 a pop :D

Discussed this with Mel last night, think we will have a go at making some, so if there is interest please let me know colours/stitched or unstitched and actual lug widths.

Cheers,

James.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dreamboat10
    Discussed this with Mel last night, think we will have a go at making some, so if there is interest please let me know colours/stitched or unstitched and actual lug widths.

Cheers,

James.
    If you guys can get this right, you'll clean up mate.
    I'd start with 20>16 no stitching, with rally holes, (pattern like the Monaco straps). This would capture 90% of the Heuer models. Then do 22>16. Oh, with one very wide keeper.

Also, James.. if Mel can make some custom tools (maybe squeeze/flattern some round hole punches) to replicate the Swiss Tropic Sport rubber straps, but make identical ones in leather - you'll clean up again!!

(send my 10% commission in the post)
    :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by europa
    I'd start with 20>16 no stitching, with rally holes, (pattern like the Monaco straps). This would capture 90% of the Heuer models. Then do 22>16. Oh, with one very wide keeper.
    Agreed. Decent 20>16 rallys are so hard to find. Black

22>16 for Monacos and Silverstones - colour matched to the 3 Silverstone variants will be good.

If you can get hold of a Rodania (or an original Corfam - I've got a 19>16 if any help) as a guide for thickness it would be a good reference.

Banned

Agreed.

The pattern of the holes is very important, as I found from punching my own. Very slight differences in hole size & positioning can result in a completely different look. I got some interesting results - I will post some pics on the weekend. I did my own, as I was after a 21mm size for my 11063 skipper and Autavia, as these are impossible to find.

Yeee-Haaa :D Dragons Den here we come!

20-16 for the MK2 Speedy (on the 'moonwatch', anything other than a J B Champion or original bracelet is punishable by death)

22-16 for Flightmaster- 1045's - large chrono's etc

Already got a 24-16, just need an old Ploprof :lol:

NO overdone/obvious stitching please, discretion is the word :)

The leather must be supple, NO half inch thick ironing boards :wink:

The non buckle end, the tip must be the same shape as the Rodania. Not rounded or arch shaped.

Colours- Black-Navy Blue- light and dark brown.

Make it so :drunken:

'Vintage' Perforated Leather PLEASE!

20/16mm rallye style, not too thick, with subtle same colour stitching and you can certainly count me in. Especially for blue and light brown straps :)

Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point
    http://www.atgvintagewatches.com/accessories

8)
    :bounce:

Holes all wrong, too stiff and to make things worse, padded :bounce: Lets keep it simple & understated.

Still, how often do you get to use the words 'holes' & 'stiff' in the same sentence :drunken:

Sounds like enough interest to make a start, Mel is going to look at sourcing leathers and if anyone has samples we can work from then it would be even better. :wink:

This would be to ensure correct hole sizes and placement.

Cheers,

James.

Sounds like enough interest to make a start, Mel is going to look at sourcing leathers and if anyone has samples we can work from then it would be even better. :wink:

This would be to ensure correct hole sizes and placement.

Cheers,

James.
    Just answered your PM - samples on way with something else for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point
    http://www.atgvintagewatches.com/accessories

8)

Plus the padding makes these split after a little wear and they don't taper to 16mm - the 22 and the 20 taper to 18.

For reference, exhibit 'A'...the Navitimer is 22/16mm....the loose one, 24/16mm

Just to keep those interested updated, i've been loaned some lovely straps, corfams, rodania's from Thomas and Darren to get some measurements from, Mel currently has them and hopefully he can weave his magic soon...... :D

Master

Cool project!

I tried to persuade Eddie to do some Corfam-style straps. I prefer straps where the holes come up close to the lugs and naturally the centre line of holes needs to be bigger. I'd be interested in 20mm and 19mm, black.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    2 sold! :lol:

Journeyman

Wow, that's pricy for a leather strap. With these prices it's hard to imagine that no one is making these! Sell one and buy a omplete cow for it's leather.

Craftsman

Wow, amazing price :shock: . And I don't mean this good way.

The prices have gone up as stock has gone down. I didn't buy a black one when they were £200. I never felt comfortable that they were originals (although in the seller's defence, I don't know that they weren't). Would be very happy to buy two or three if someone makes some good replicas...

Ok'd this with Eddie .... he does a perforated 18>16 by the way!

Just received these, not multi hole, but the large hole type, narrows to 14mm for that old school taper, available in 18, 19 & 20mm.
    Made in UK on 1960's dies/cutters....were made for and delivered to Smiths in large numbers at the time....

NB, I could get them made in other colours if there was enough demand....

Rgds
    Jim

Just to keep those interested updated, i've been loaned some lovely straps, corfams, rodania's from Thomas and Darren to get some measurements from, Mel currently has them and hopefully he can weave his magic soon...... :D
    Very interesting project. Agree with the input given regarding type of holes etc. ... and hope to see it succeed.
    If so, I would buy 19, 20 and 22 mm (with 16mm buckle-end) all in both black and "vintage-brown".