closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is servicing really necessary?

Is servicing really necessary?

As per the title really. I've had my Breitling 4 years or so now and a colleague "pointed out" that it should be serviced every year. I can't really see the point if it's working ok, but what say the experts?

Re: Is servicing really necessary?

Servicing necessary? Yes. Every year? Definitely not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop
    Servicing necessary? Yes. Every year? Definitely not.
    So how often? And where should I take it? I made a quick enquiry at the place I bought it from and they said it would be away for 6 weeks!!!

Master

Manufacturers of most modern automatic movements say that they should be serviced ca. every three years. There are a few threads on service intervals here already; what I've taken from them is that if you begin to notice problems (low power reserve, timekeeping not within spec, horrible noises...) and it's been three or more years, it's time for a service. When I don't notice these things, but it's going on 8 or 10 years, ditto.

Not sure how regularly you should service a breitling. I've tended to get mine serviced every 3 years. Below is the distributor address. I've always brought the watch there directly.

Breitling UK Ltd. (UK Distributor)
    Suite 5.02, Fifth Floor, Morley House,
    314-322 Regent Street
    W1B 3BG London
    Telephone: +44-207-6365200
    Facsimile: +44-207-6375354

They use to throw in a new strap at no additional cost but the last time I brought it there they told me they could no longer give any freebies with a service... :o(

Grand Master

When it stops it needs a service!
    RIAC

In addition to servicing, don't they also tend to recommend checking water resistance every year or two, depending on usage?

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    When it stops it needs a service!
    Ha - that's usually been my thinking too so it'll be staying on my wrist for a while longer yet!

Quote Originally Posted by taotoo
    In addition to servicing, don't they also tend to recommend checking water resistance every year or two, depending on usage?
    I even take mine off when washing my hands!

Grand Master

i think 24 years is my record so far and even then it was only losing 8-9 secs a day!
    RIAC

My Breitling lasted 10-ish years of every day wear (essentially my only watch until I found this place) until it stopped. Took it Breitling UK service centre in Tunbridge Wells, came back looking as good as new (almost - lume on new hands but not on old numbers). I guess next time it stops I'll ask them to re-lume the numbers.

A bit like with a car, I start thinking about a service if a) it's making a funny noise, or b) it's not working.

I'm 7 to 10 years on average with a few more regular wearers closer to 5 years. However, all COSC watches that gain or lose more than 15 seconds per day get serviced regardless.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by nitsy
    A bit like with a car, I start thinking about a service if a) it's making a funny noise, or b) it's not working.
    Tbh, that's usually called "fixing", not "servicing"!

Quote Originally Posted by worldwidewebs
    Perhaps someone else will chime in, but I assumed the o-rings would degrade with age even without exposure to water.

Perhaps someone else will chime in, but I assumed the o-rings would degrade with age even without exposure to water.
    Yes, rather like condoms having a use by date, o-rings degrade over time and become less flexible and prone to cracking and eentually breakage :D

Well, it'll only be going for sprucing up when I can find something to replace it with in the meantime. DA37 anyone? :)

One of the reasons I like a pre-owned Rolex to come with a recent service where possible.
    It's just a matter of time...

Pop off the back and spray in some WD40, should sort it all out.
    "A man of little significance"

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    I'm 7 to 10 years on average with a few more regular wearers closer to 5 years. However, all COSC watches that gain or lose more than 15 seconds per day get serviced regardless.
    That's probably about right, though I`d question the 15secs/day. Maybe the watch was never regulated correctly from new?....if buying second-hand you never know this for sure.

For an everyday wearer I reckon 5yrs right.

Watch servicing is likely to become more expensive due to the demise of independent repairers; sad but true. However, the modern synthetic lubricants are v. expensive so the increased cost is partially justified.

Paul

Craftsman

:shock:
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100

Yes, rather like condoms having a use by date, o-rings degrade over time and become less flexible and prone to cracking and eentually breakage :D
    It hard to say which failure has the more expensive consequences!

I remember reading somewhere that the Rolex Oyster case has a decent degree of water resistance even without the o-rings, so I presume the equivalent Omega's etc will be the same. In fact, I think anything with 100m WR or more is going to far exceed the demands of the odd shower or swim, even many years after a service. A while back I went swimming with my 10-year old Sub Date with the crown unscrewed. I was in the water for about 1/2 an hour before I realized, but there was no harm done! I did get the watch serviced about 6 months later, but it was running fine at that point. I would certainly say even a watch with only basic WR is still "splash-proof" for many years.

I've owned some lovely vintage Sports Rolex over the years, some over 40yrs old with no service history. For me, unless it has timing issues I haven't bothered.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock
    I've owned some lovely vintage Sports Rolex over the years, some over 40yrs old with no service history. For me, unless it has timing issues I haven't bothered.
    I've got my Dad's Seiko 5 from 1971. He wore it every day for the best part of 40 years and it's never had a service. It still keeps to within 15 seconds a day :shock:

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thepoetboy
    :shock:
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100
    Keep up at the back there! viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194794&hilit=Scooby

If the watch is a keeper (and mechanical!) - get it serviced every 4/5 years. Oil degrades over time and therefore loses its lubricating efficiency.

You wouldn't own a nice car and not get it serviced regulalrly and remember, while a watch is running, it's moving parts never stop moving - so lubrication and maintenance of these parts is vital. ;)

Grand Master

With the modern synthetic rubbers being used in seals, I wouldn`t expect significant degradation over time.

However, if I used a watch for serious diving etc I`d be tempted to check the water-resistance regularly.

Paul

Don't know about Breitling as most of my watches are Russian. The official recommended servicing period for a Russian watch (Volmax, Poljot, Moscow Classic, Vostok. VE, etc) is 10 years, no matter what movement is inside. (food for thought? :mrgreen: )

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

5 years is my mark.. that said.. of late ive not had a watch that ive kept for that long. :roll:

i recently forced my dad into servicing his DJ.. bit of a battle since it was still running bang on time.. but he'd had it, untouched, for 20 years.. so even i was having the palm sweats about it.

A recently acquired Girard Perregaux chrono with valjoux 72 made around the mid 60s has just been in the workshop for a full treatment...and my watchmaker informs me that it's never been serviced. Pretty good as it was keeping time within 10 secs a day....