closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Seamaster 300 50th anniversary?

Omega Seamaster 300 50th anniversary?

I don't follow Omega rumours much but is it already a given that Omega will release a new Seamaster 300 for it's 50th anniversary 1962-2012? IMO I suspect they will anyway. I hope they take the opportunity to get rid of those horrible Planet Ocean hands and go back to the vintage Seamaster 300 style.

I see an updated Seamaster 300 with a high domed sapphire replacing the acrylic, the 8500 calibre , sapphire bezel insert. Seems like a no brainer for Omega to me, a really nice watch that they will enjoy charging a premium for an Anniversary Edition.

I'm a bit cynical on the pricing but I bet the watch will be a stunner.

regards

siggy

Re: Omega Seamaster 300 50th anniversary?

It does sound good if they get it right, but it won't be cheap. :(

I don't think they will personally.

They have already had a 50th anniversary Seamaster although it was a GMT.

I guess it was meant as a blanket model as they didn't make the GMT 50 years ago. :lol:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman

Seems more likely than the Yao Project 300 coming out in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by kll
    :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by siggy
    I don't follow Omega rumours much but is it already a given that Omega will release a new Seamaster 300 for it's 50th anniversary 1962-2012? IMO I suspect they will anyway. I hope they take the opportunity to get rid of those horrible Planet Ocean hands and go back to the vintage Seamaster 300 style.

I see an updated Seamaster 300 with a high domed sapphire replacing the acrylic, the 8500 calibre , sapphire bezel insert. Seems like a no brainer for Omega to me, a really nice watch that they will enjoy charging a premium for an Anniversary Edition.

I'm a bit cynical on the pricing but I bet the watch will be a stunner.

regards

siggy

Yes that would be nice

Craftsman

It would also fit well with the fact that Omega seem to maybe possibly (and additional hedging on my part) to be taking a harder line against WatchoCo-style "NOS" SM300s. And even if they are not being more aggressive, they have certainly increased the price of spares making the economy of building NOS SM300s less favourable.

One might argue that the PO has sufficient design clues to be the modern SM300, incl the hands, though I am not sure there were any SM300s made with arrow hands for both the hour and minute hands [though one never knows with Omega]. A remake of the SM300 closer to one of the originals might eat marketshare from the PO.

Grand Master

It would also fit well with the fact that Omega seem to maybe possibly (and additional hedging on my part) to be taking a harder line against WatchoCo-style "NOS" SM300s. And even if they are not being more aggressive, they have certainly increased the price of spares making the economy of building NOS SM300s less favourable.

One might argue that the PO has sufficient design clues to be the modern SM300, incl the hands, though I am not sure there were any SM300s made with arrow hands for both the hour and minute hands [though one never knows with Omega]. A remake of the SM300 closer to one of the originals might eat marketshare from the PO.
    The PO is now a super-duper luxury watch, all shiney with a display back and everything, LiquidMetal (tm), ceramic, burp valve and coloured lume, and as far removed from the original as the modern-day Deep-Sea is from the first Submariner. So it's a good question, if a Seamaster 300 was re-issued - ignoring the current Seamaster 300 - that was seriously cut down in terms of bling. (Somewhat like the Precista PRS-14, which Omega would probably go after Timefactors for.)

If Rolex didn't have the plain-jane Submariner, which is much more like the original, but released it today as a sort of vintage homage to the original, would it be popular?
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew

The PO is now a super-duper luxury watch, all shiney with a display back and everything, LiquidMetal (tm), ceramic, burp valve and coloured lume, and as far removed from the original as the modern-day Deep-Sea is from the first Submariner. So it's a good question, if a Seamaster 300 was re-issued - ignoring the current Seamaster 300 - that was seriously cut down in terms of bling. (Somewhat like the Precista PRS-14, which Omega would probably go after Timefactors for.)

If Rolex didn't have the plain-jane Submariner, which is much more like the original, but released it today as a sort of vintage homage to the original, would it be popular?
    Yes, if Rolex found all the old tooling and started dishing out the old watches, as they were with newly made remake dials etc, they could charge the stupid prices that other brands do for their heritage and vintage lines - only Rolex would/could make and sell a lot more of them if they wanted to - just one of the things you could get away with when you have such a following and a fair market share.
    It's just a matter of time...

Im on that one as well and im not sure i am patient enough not to withdraw.. i am also on the kingston train and its gonna be a couple of months before that one arrives to the station as well..

Craftsman

If my wet dream should come true.

It would be taking the Seamaster 2254.50.00 resizing it to around 43-44 mm, Ceramic bezel, 8500 cal. Inhouse and the new bracelet with screw´s like on the new aqua terra.

I´would order it right now if i could.

Still waiting to see what size the new 330m is - but doubt they would risk it being 42-45 to compete against their PO - at 41mm it covers that selling point for them - but it will have screw in link pins. 8)
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    Yes, if Rolex found all the old tooling and started dishing out the old watches, as they were with newly made remake dials etc, they could charge the stupid prices that other brands do for their heritage and vintage lines - only Rolex would/could make and sell a lot more of them if they wanted to - just one of the things you could get away with when you have such a following and a fair market share.
    The point is moot, I guess, because Rolex already does make the vanilla Submariner (and it's cheaper). Of course they may not for long; if there's not much demand, they'll ditch it, and Omega will definitely take note.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat27

It would be taking the Seamaster 2254.50.00 resizing it to around 43-44 mm, Ceramic bezel, 8500 cal. Inhouse and the new bracelet with screw´s like on the new aqua terra.

You can - it's called the Planet Ocean!

Newbie question, what is a Yao Project 300?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by inkiboo
    Newbie question, what is a Yao Project 300?
    It's a PRS-14 at enhanced cost and a delivery date that beats on, borne ceaselessly into the future.

http://www.mkiiwatches.com/watch-collec ... oject-300/

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat27

You can - it's called the Planet Ocean!
    not even close..