closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega '53 possible purchase expert views needed

Craftsman

Omega '53 possible purchase expert views needed

Hi All

I'm potentially going to buy this watch. As you can see it's been in a drawer for decades and could do with a thorough clean and a service, although I am told it's runing and keeps good time. Before I take the plunge I'd welcome the views of our resident Omega military experts:

Are the dial and movement protector suffering from oxidisation or is it just muck?
    Are the hands correct?
    Are the caseback markings (internal and external) correct?
    Are the movement, cal number and serial number correct for an Omega '53?
    Finally what do you think a fair price range would be for one in this condition?

Cheers

Ian

Re: Omega '53 possible purchase expert views needed

Should it not have a 30T2 movment with movement ring inside?

Looks like all the other bits are ok, im sue someone elese will confirm the movement issue, but even so if the price was right and it is indeed a 30T2 movement that is required you could get one fo a couple of hundred quid.

Craftsman

Thanks for the input Dave. I realize it's not too clear from the compressed size photos but it's a Calibre 283 with a 12xxx serial number which I think (but I'm not sure) are correct for an Omega '53.

Regards

Ian

i just went away to my book and your right a 283 is corect, i have to say the watch looks good to me, a new glass and it will tidy up quite nicely. I do have one other nagging question which is why the movement is damn clean compared to everything else, i know it has a seperate intenal cover - but even so.....

How much is the asking?

The movement should be a cal 283 (30T2 was in the WWW) and looks OK to me. Case markings are good. The case tension ring (a small spring that fits in the ridge on the case back) is missing and they are impossible to get hold of (not a deal breaker). Hands look right. Dial condition is impossible to judge from these pictures; there is a difference between the two you have shown and I wonder how much is due to a reflection off a background. If it is oxidised, I would pass as a good '53 isn't that rare.

Prices? A good one about 1200; under 1000 if the dial is in a less than excellent state, I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut
    why the movement is damn clean compared to everything else, i know it has a seperate intenal cover - but even so.....
    All the pictures I've ever seen and my own '53s have a clean movement like this. I think the dust cover must do an excellent job.

Craftsman

Thanks for the responses chaps. The seller is being a little optimistic on price but I'll see how flexible he's willing to be over the weekend.

Cheers

Ian

A bloke at the recent Uxbridge Watch Fair was offering a very clean example for £1,200, so that might be a guide.

I'd be worried by the pitting on the dust cover and the state of the dial looks bad - faded around the edge and spotted (I assume that's these marks are on the dial and not the crystal). I too would pass - £1200 should buy a perfect example and these are, as has been said, not rare. If you are determined I wouldn't pay much to reflect the condition.

Master

I agree that the price is high and these are not rare.

Br,

AP.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by A.Pottinger
    I agree that the price is high and these are not rare.

Br,

AP.
    Well, the seller has lapsed into silence following my (IMHO) reasonable offer so I suppose my hunt will have to continue elsewhere. They may not be that rare but they are sure as hell hard to find in decent nick - unless anyone here knows of one that's avaialble now or even owns one they'd be willing to sell?

Cheers

Ian