closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Why do watch companies still use spring bars?

Grand Master

Why do watch companies still use spring bars?

I've always wondered why, with all the new technology they use in terms of materials, designs, etc that a lot of them still stick with spring bars. They are as cheap and nasty as you get, tend to be a real pain to remove in some cases and with some straps are a nightmare to get back in.

So why aren't more companies moving to other ways of securing bracelets and straps to watches, i've owned a few Panerai and their old system was decent, and the new quick release thing is even better, same with AP and the screws, it's a simple case of removing and no worry about slippage or having a nightmare getting a strap fitted.

Re: Why do watch companies still use spring bars?

Works for me - simple, but efficient system.

I am capable of using it myself without damaging the watch or the strap - what is not to like?

Why complicate a system that works?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

The new Pam and IWC systems work very well imo.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by captainhowdy
    The new Pam and IWC systems work very well imo.
    Yep - but I like screws better.

Have never lost a watch with springbars, but the watch gets dings when you change straps all the time.

Torben

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK

I am capable of using it myself without damaging the watch or the strap - what is not to like?

Trying to fit a zulu to the Exp2 was not good, even with bergeon tools it just was a nightmare, major disappointment for me is rolex redesigning the cases of their range and leaving it like this.

Master

Cheap and easy to replace, if your watch get caught on something the springbar will give first, so your hand doesnt get taken off....

If it aint broke, why fix it?

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER
    Cheap and easy to replace, if your watch get caught on something the springbar will give first, so your hand doesnt get taken off....

If it aint broke, why fix it?

So are screws, as for the watch getting caught, the force needed to break either a springbar or a screw wouldn't be a million miles apart, both events for me would lead to case damage and so on, plus it's seriously unlikely that this would happen anyway.

If it aint broke, don't fix it is something that doesn't really apply, we've seen almost everything else being replaced, but spring bars remaining on most, it just seems a simple thing to do that would ease the removal or straps and bracelets, as well as giving an update that little bit more.

Master

I agree - I hate spring bars.

The only watch I bother to change the strap on is my B&R as the system is so quick and easy... with no risk of scratching the watch up.

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Because most (99.99%) people that buy watches do not change straps very often.

Because spring bars are easy to replace without tools (a pen kinfe usually works, and if it doesn't, it is probably a bracelet, then 99.99% of these will never come off the bracelet.)

Because they are cheaper that anything, except maybe fixed bars....

Master

Screws are worse in the real (non-WIS) world - once the heads have been damaged by someone changing straps with some christmas cracker screwdrivers, you have a real problem. At least with spring bars you can get the buggers off.

I think springbars are the best solution for straps to be honest. Maybe not for bracelets.

I agree to a point, the Panerai system is excellent and so simple that it's a pleasure to change straps. There are other watch companies however like AP and Anonimo that use two screws each side and they are even more tricky than springbars and with an expensive AP I find the experience very traumatic. :shock:
    I have the Bergeon spring bar tool and the expensive Bergeon strap removing pliers and it's very easy to remove spring bars without scratching the watch.
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=135670&p=1400352&hilit=+bergeo n#p1400352

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK

+1
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shalako
    I agree to a point, the Panerai system is excellent and so simple that it's a pleasure to change straps. There are other watch companies however like AP and Anonimo that use two screws each side and they are even more tricky than springbars and with an expensive AP I find the experience very traumatic. :shock:
    I have the Bergeon spring bar tool and the expensive Bergeon strap removing pliers and it's very easy to remove spring bars without scratching the watch.
    Yeah, I have those as well, its no problem to remove and put a bracelet on, or most straps. But some straps are a nightmare due to the size bring slightly too big, ons panerai or ap it doesn't matter, but with springbars its a nuisance.

I guess it is also annoying seeing other brands move to new systems and other expensive brands still using cheap springbars.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako
    Yeah, I have those as well, its no problem to remove and put a bracelet on, or most straps. But some straps are a nightmare due to the size bring slightly too big, ons panerai or ap it doesn't matter, but with springbars its a nuisance.

I guess it is also annoying seeing other brands move to new systems and other expensive brands still using cheap springbars.
    If you just want them expensive, have a few made in platinum :lol:

Dont see any downside to the springbars myself. If you cant get them off without damaging the case then perhaps you shouldnt be trying in the first place.... aint rocket science is it.

I don't know about how the modern Panerai system works, but...

What happens if the screw thread gets crossed threaded? Replacement mid case?
    Plus screws work loose over time, so you have to use loctite.
    I can see why some manufacturers prefer to stick with springbars.

Grand Master

Owned a few Panerai, never had a problem, same with AP and others, it's just an easy system to use, the main downside to springbars, not counting the cheap and nasty ones you tend to get, is that you have to fit it into a strap before mounting onto the case, now if that strap is tight between the lugs then how do you pinch the springbar and fit it without leaving a mark?

Springbars are simple, effective and cheap (unless you buy them from an AD). You might as well ask "why do shoes still have laces?".

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".