closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DSSD ,are you happy with yours

Re: DSSD ,are you happy with yours

I always think that if you love the older Rolex models (size wise) then you're probably not going to like the Deepsea, but if you're are fond of Breitling, Panerai and such like you will wonder what all the fuss is about.

I used to like the look of the previous sport models but they were way to small for me. I loathed the bracelet, the watch felt way to light and the size was not for me. The Deepsea is my perfect Rolex model to date. I have had mine for over a year and still smile when I glance at it, then I have to look at it again to see what the time is :mrgreen:

I remember reading a thread a while ago where there was a passionate debate on how large and ugly the new GMTllC case was. Obviously if that is your view then the Deepsea will be your all time worst Rolex. If you're not sure whether it's for you, go and try one on, if you go wow as soon as you see it then buy it, if not just get something else.

Neil

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sam100
    Sensible stuff...
    Umm, that post was a little too sensible for this thread - please try again. :lol:

Also, Sam100 is an unusual sign-in name for someone called Neil. What's going on there?

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3
    Sensible stuff...
    Umm, that post was a little too sensible for this thread - please try again. :lol:

Also, Sam100 is an unusual sign-in name for someone called Neil. What's going on there?

You're correct it is and I have no idea why, I think I might have been drinking :twisted:

Neil

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Gunscrossed
    Man up! :twisted:
    And yet another reason to like her. :lol:

But saying that, although it is a very nice watch I'd rather have a Daytona thanks. :wink:

When I first saw a Deepsea in a shop I thought the dial was too busy with all the writing....
    but I've had one awhile now and you just don't notice the 'ring lock' talk etc around the edge of the dial.
    I love it, it's 100% quality, but you definitely have to get the bracelet sized properly, I had to get an extra link before it sat right on the wrist.
    Although a big watch I now hardly feel/notice it on, it's very comfortable- it sits on the wrist better than the Pam 243 I had.

I agree that folk need to 'man up' ......Beckham wears one and he ain't exactly Mike Tyson.

Master

I have one. Tried it in the shop and even the missus said, get that! I wear it to work, gym, mountain biking and just generally all of the time. Once the bracelet is sized correctly, it's dead comfy.

I wear the DSSD, the Daytona just sits in the cupboard and is fairly unloved in comparison. Never been so disappointed in a watch as the Daytona.

However, I do have a letter of intent in for the NEW Seadweller due in next year.... :wink:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704
    Ok,
    i think my next watch is going to be a dssd,people of the forum are you happy with yours,worth the cost ?i would have to shift a lot of my collection to fund it and can only afford used , rolex sub, omega broadarrow,tag aqua full kitwould have to go,i hope it would be worth it
    Sold mine. Got a Sub LV and put a black bezel insert on it. Same amount of dial as the DSSD. Same practical depth use. Brighter green lume on the maxi dial, but not as long lasting through the night as the dimmer blue lume on the DSSD. If lume is important, you can get a Seiko SBBN015 as I'm doing, and wear that as well as the Sub LV for the collective price of one DSSD.

I couldn't get over how small the dial was compared to the big, blocky, high watch. I also grew to resent the fact that Rolex used up valuable dial space to print advertising all over the rehaut ring with ridiculous wording such as "original gas valve". It seems as though they built a juggernaut of a case, put it on too narrow a bracelet (although the Glidelock is ingenious and is the reason I'm getting the Seiko SBBN to augment my Rolex Sub LV. For me the Sub LV does the Rolex dive watch and office desk diver duties better than the Deepsea. And if I'm actually in the ocean (I live on the Pacific at the water but rarely go in, and I don't scuba dive any longer, but if I did it wouldn't be in a Deepsea) I'll wear a rugged, and less expensive Seiko with quartz motor and large lumed dial.

I really liked the concept of a larger Rolex but I think the Deepsea failed in the dial department. Still a great watch, but you wanted the long term opinions of actual owners. I've also owned the GP Seahawk Pro II XL, Planet Ocean 45.5 mm, and have just recently decided (this week in fact) on a two watch approach with the Sub LV with black insert serving the general use/dress/play/comfortable overall use, and the Seiko quartz Tuna Can as the rugged, large dial, high lume, reliable "dive" recreational water use watch. Both, together for less money than the Deepsea.

If I were going back to a larger dive watch, I'd buy a used GP Seahawk Pro II XL over the Deepsea, or personally the Seiko GS Diver, which for less money than the Deepsea seems like a far better watch, if you can live without the Rolex name (which apparently I can't since I have the Sub LV.)

Just one former owner's opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS
    I have one. Tried it in the shop and even the missus said, get that! I wear it to work, gym, mountain biking and just generally all of the time. Once the bracelet is sized correctly, it's dead comfy.

I wear the DSSD, the Daytona just sits in the cupboard and is fairly unloved in comparison. Never been so disappointed in a watch as the Daytona.

However, I do have a letter of intent in for the NEW Seadweller due in next year.... :wink:
    What do you mean man :?:

Master

I had another look at one today and although I think it's wonderfully engineered, it's an absolute beast of a watch, especially for my girly wrists :)

If you haven't read this review, it's quite interesting and if you have, apologies:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... 3936&rid=0

Enjoy

Grand Master

Never been so disappointed in a watch as the Daytona.
    :
    The fun is only in the chase with that watch, once its captured it has that effect
    RIAC

Master

Speaking with someone who has a friend/contact in a senior position at Rolex. Says that due to poor sales of the DSSD (comparitively) that they are engineering a new SD, with all of the new style goodies - clasp, maxi, ceramics etc, etc.

Should have a few effects:

DSSD will become collectible
    New SD will be the ONE to HAVE
    Old SD will drop in value due to all the safe-queens, investment purchases etc. hitting the market. only imho!

I have, as said before, a letter of intent in for my AD's first one. :bounce:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    Never been so disappointed in a watch as the Daytona.
    :
    The fun is only in the chase with that watch, once its captured it has that effect
    Cost me £6k to find that out! :blackeye:

Speaking with someone who has a friend/contact in a senior position at Rolex. Says that due to poor sales of the DSSD (comparitively) that they are engineering a new SD, with all of the new style goodies - clasp, maxi, ceramics etc, etc.

Should have a few effects:

DSSD will become collectible
    New SD will be the ONE to HAVE
    Old SD will drop in value due to all the safe-queens, investment purchases etc. hitting the market. only imho!

I have, as said before, a letter of intent in for my AD's first one. :bounce:
    Would be amazing, if true.

Damn a new seadweller, nice :rr:

Master

I can't imagine this is true, but someone did mention that the SD is still included in the latest price list :?

Master

From what I heard Rolex still has parts to assemble new old Sea Dwellers. As for a new model I would speculate that once the new factories in Geneva and Biel are online we can expect to see more new models and much quicker turnaround times.

Banned

When was the last date the Sea Dweller was available. Understand some could have sat in AD's safes etc., but in general terms?