closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: I spy with my little eye

Re: I spy with my little eye

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3

Really like that Nato John - what type is it?

Khaki. You have PM.

john
    Every watch a story.

Journeyman

Actually those hands aren't that "fat" when you consider the 1953 Omega hands as seen here..

Can't wait for mine..anyone from Canada order one yet?

Cheers,

Konrad

Craftsman

Yep...

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by wainair
    Yep...
    :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    Schwing!

Hi Jon,
    which is your wrist size ?

Thanks,
    Engi

Quote Originally Posted by Engi
    Hi Jon,
    which is your wrist size ?

Thanks,
    Engi
    That there is a 6.75" wrist :)

017 just landed (Q&D iPhone pic):

First impressions, as usual, entirely positive. Build quality, detailing, everything up to Eddie's usual standards. This is a lovely piece.

The NATO strap is not as dark as I would have liked, I had rather hoped it would be the darker charcoal grey the Timefactors website shows, but it does the job and I will probably swap it onto a black one anyway.

The biggest question for me is whether or not my 6.5" wrist can carry it off...

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73

The biggest question for me is whether or not my 6.5" wrist can carry it off...
    I'll tell you how I came to terms with the length ... when I was younger, I used to wear my watches much looser, than the last 10-15 years. At some point yesterday I put it on a loose one-piece (RAF style) and by allowing it to flop (just a bit) ... it helps to disguise the length. By wearing it too tight (or on Natos), it straddles the wrist completely and makes it look ‘long’. By allowing it to move a little, it looks (and feels) much better.

john
    Every watch a story.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    The biggest question for me is whether or not my 6.5" wrist can carry it off.
    I'll tell you how I came to terms with the length ... when I was younger, I used to wear my watches much looser, than the last 10-15 years. At some point yesterday I put it on a loose one-piece (RAF style) and by allowing it to flop (just a bit) ... it helps to disguise the length. By wearing it too tight (or on Natos), it straddles the wrist completely and makes it look ‘long’. By allowing it to move a little, it looks (and feels) much better.
    John, great minds and all that. I had exactly the same idea, and asked Eddie to change an order I had on the system for a couple of NATOs to include an RAF-style one. It's borderline for me, this one. I think the watch is terrific, one of my favourite Eddie creations to date for sure, but my wrist may force another rapid flip. We'll see.

Apprentice

this watch looks so awesome!
    i find it hard to decide which size to choose... each one has some pro and contra..

Quote Originally Posted by toolio
    i find it hard to decide which size to choose... each one has some pro and contra..
    I had the same quandary and ended up ordering both! :twisted:

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon

yeah, i feared to get that answer... :lol:
    do you like both watches the same?

in my opinion:
    36 mm pro:
    - plexi
    - proportions on the dial maybe somewhat better
    - price

39 mm pro:
    - hi-dome sapphire crystal
    - better size to some arms (may count double..) :albino:

:albino:
    Don't know yet, the 39mm is on it's way but I haven't heard about the 36mm yet. :cry:

Master

Any 36's in the wild yet?

I have my 37mm PRS53 on today :)

Journeyman

in my opinion:
    36 mm pro:
    - plexi
    - price

39 mm pro:
    Personally, I ordered the 39mm but it depends what you want. What I was looking for was a modern update in a larger size. I figured, that I may as well buy an original rather than the 36mm..But it all boils down to taste..

The double dome sapphire crystal was the kicker for me. Now that we know the manufacturer made a mistake with his quote, you won't be seeing a double dome glass again at this price. I think that when the 39mm are gone, that's it. All you'll likely be offered in the future again would be the 36mm because of cost etc. Eddie only had 400 movements to work with, so 200 of each and with the way ETA is clamping down on selling their movements outside of Swatch group watches, he may not be able to get any more in the future. I think that's why he's looking at getting that Japanese Miyota movement for future projects..

You can always re-sell the 39mm at not much of a loss if you don't like. Start big and work your way down.. :wink:

Cheers.

Konrad

Journeyman

There is also others swiss movement manufacturers, for example :
    Sellita et Concepto (http://conceptowatch.ch/catalogue-flash/catalogue.php)

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by lambstew

in my opinion:
    36 mm pro:
    - plexi
    - price

39 mm pro:
    Personally, I ordered the 39mm but it depends what you want. What I was looking for was a modern update in a larger size. I figured, that I may as well buy an original rather than the 36mm..But it all boils down to taste..

The double dome sapphire crystal was the kicker for me. Now that we know the manufacturer made a mistake with his quote, you won't be seeing a double dome glass again at this price. I think that when the 39mm are gone, that's it. All you'll likely be offered in the future again would be the 36mm because of cost etc. Eddie only had 400 movements to work with, so 200 of each and with the way ETA is clamping down on selling their movements outside of Swatch group watches, he may not be able to get any more in the future. I think that's why he's looking at getting that Japanese Miyota movement for future projects..

You can always re-sell the 39mm at not much of a loss if you don't like. Start big and work your way down.. :wink:

Cheers.

Konrad

you are having a good point. a modern update in a larger version makes a lot of sense. besides i am very curious to see the domed sapphire, too.
    in other words: 39mm is on its way... :bounce:

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by lambstew

in my opinion:
    36 mm pro:
    - plexi
    - price

39 mm pro:

Cheers.

Konrad

you are having a good point. a modern update in a larger version makes a lot of sense. besides i am very curious to see the domed sapphire, too.
    in other words: 39mm is on its way... :bounce:

.. :P I see that you are in Hamburg..Nice city..my mother is from nearby Bremen :thumbright:

Let me know how you like it! Mine just cleared Canadian Customs and will have it tonight :drunken:

Cheers,

Konrad

Apprentice

you are lucky, konrad! :o
    i guess you will spend the whole evening checking the time... 8)

ps. big part of my family lives near bremen, very nice region...

t*

Craftsman

I got mine on Friday and I must say I'm very impressed as usual! Lucky number 013/10!! The sapphire crystal is stunning.The optical quality is amazing. Next to no distortion or glare. I can't get over how much it is like an acrylic in profile. The new NATO is a great improvement over the one I got on my PRS-5. The weave is much tighter, the thread isn't as shiny, and the fittings just seem nicer...maybe it's just because it is fresh from the box new, but I like it! It's not as dark as I was expecting but is well within the range of "MOD Grey" that I've seen over the years. It's still light but it is on the darker side of the scale if that makes sense. The leather straps are slowly winning me over. Originally I thought they were too busy, what with all the stitching and buckle under pads as extra thickening. But I've been trying them on the watch today and wearing them around a bit. Initially I didn't like the stepped over the lug ends cut but now that I look at it on the wrist the stitching makes the band look thinner from the top because the extra width is under the lugs. Yet it is a wider band so it feels nicer on the wrist. Definitely a high quality band. The leather is superb, and smell like a new leather jacket! Ummmm! And I get a sorta 70's vibe from them which ties in nicely with the age of the original Smiths. I don't know why get that vibe, but I do :?: :drunken: :?: . The hands don't look fat at all when you are wearing the watch. I know some of the pics on the forum gave that impression but really I think that is a optical trick of the macro lens and super close-ups and reflections. Most of the time all you see is the Lume fill and the hands appear very fine indeed!

I really think Eddie nailed the overall dial/hands/font proportions. Everything is as it should be IMHO. From crown size to Luminova marking. I know everybody loves NATO straps, I do too, but Eddie gave us some originally styled, high quality leather bands, that actually work once you've got them on the watch! I'm sure as more people try them, more will come around to like them.

All I can say is "Kudos Eddie!" Another fantastic watch! Now just re-issue a PRS-18a( I missed my chance there :( ) so I can get one of those and I'll be a happy camper!

Congrats on the arrival and great review :thumbup:

Journeyman

PRS29-B number 019 has arrived safely in Australia!

My immediate thoughts are that the NATO -- while darker than Eddie's earlier very silvery ones -- is still a bit light. The leather straps look to be of very nice quality, but I'm not that sure they suit the Smiths as well as, say, the plainer stitched 'aviator' straps Eddie already offers. (but I'll try them out anyway and even if they don't suit the Smiths I daresay they'll find a home on one or other of my chronos ...)

But enough grizzling about straps: the watch looks excellent. Overall size is similar to my PRS-5, although the lugs are longer on the Smiths and it isn't as thick. Doesn't look too big at all and sits nicely on the wrist. Flat crown doesn't dig into your hand the way some larger ones do. Purists might complain that the minute and and hour hands are the same width, but they look fine to me, and the tip of the minute hand just cuts into the 'track' on the dial, making the exact time very easy to see at a glance.

Well done, Eddie, another classic!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Coronel
    ............The leather straps look to be of very nice quality, but I'm not that sure they suit the Smiths as well as, say, the plainer stitched 'aviator' straps Eddie already offers. (but I'll try them out anyway and even if they don't suit the Smiths I daresay they'll find a home on one or other of my chronos ...)

But enough grizzling about straps: .......
    Is there anybody who thinks the leather straps fit the watch? :P

I am sure they would fit other watches nicely ... but why didn't Eddie just sell them separately? Where did they come from? What is going on? Am I missing something? :lol:

john
    Every watch a story.

Is there anybody who thinks the leather straps fit the watch?
    john
    I like them. #14 arrived in the Gulf yesterday, and I've had it for under 24hours, but I'm wearing it on the black leather now. Excuse the phone picture.

I'm looking forward to getting the strap worn in a bent to shape, but I think that it's a good match for the watch. Anyway, John - I thought you only liked this style straps on hooded lugs?

What is going on? Am I missing something?
    I don't know what the fuss is about. I take it they are just a deal sweetener (similar things have been done by Eddie in the past). :)

-flugzeit

Journeyman

a quick and none too good phone pic, but I think the new Smiths is looking good on plain black buffalo; whereas the thick, stitched strap that came with the Smiths is better suited to a chunkier watch with a bezel, such as the Bernhardt Globemaster (42mm dia and over 13mm thick) ... I've put the brown one on a Nivada chrono, but at a dainty 38mm, it's looking a bit overwhelmed!

Looks nice on that buffalo - good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Coronel
    ............The leather straps look to be of very nice quality, but I'm not that sure they suit the Smiths as well as, say, the plainer stitched 'aviator' straps Eddie already offers. (but I'll try them out anyway and even if they don't suit the Smiths I daresay they'll find a home on one or other of my chronos ...)

But enough grizzling about straps: .......
    Is there anybody who thinks the leather straps fit the watch? :P
    I'll be getting one of these Rios clip-ons when I buy the 36mm.

I was initially sceptical but having thought about it the supplied straps are a good deal.

The Rios is cheap as chips to buy retail and probably not that much less wholesale. I prefer this oxblood colour that Eddie would be unlikely to offer as standard so i'd have to buy one anyway for around £10.

The supplied straps would be very expensive to buy singly but certainly much less bought in bulk and supplied as a package. So you get two versatile well made straps that would cost £40 for the addition of probably £10 to the cost of the watch.

Thats a great deal for those of you with the 39mm because there are many 20mm lugged watches that will suit this style. I must admit that i'm struggling a bit at 18mm.

Of course the purist in me says that the 36mm should come with only the NATO in a brown carboard carton for £265, but thats another story :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol
    Failing to find anything good in pig skin ... I am also looking at camels and sheep.

john
    Every watch a story.

Journeyman

I assume it's buffalo: it says 'Piel Karabu' on the back (made by Dilox in Spain, oh, and 'Antialergico' too!) ...

Craftsman

I thought the supplied leather straps looked a bit heavy too. Looking at the watch sitting on the desk they really do, but I found when I looked at the watch on my wrist the stepped leather disappears beneath the lugs and the stitching made it look like a straight 20mm band. Now maybe if I had thicker wrists I would notice the wideness more because I would see it out to the ends of the lugs instead of under. The one thing I have noticed with all the pics of the watch on different bands is that I like it on just about everything I've seen. That oxblood strap is really cool. I think it would look nice on that. Hell I even like it on Brown and I hate Brown straps!! So maybe my judgement is a bit clouded. :lol: It is a very versatile watch that's for sure!

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol
    Failing to find anything good in pig skin ... I am also looking at camels and sheep.

john

i have found some on ebay in the squinky shop
    try pigskin keyword

try: stores.ebay.com/Squinky
    i don't check because i can't accees ebay from office.

rgds

Banned

3 straps is a bonus not a complainer issue :lol:

flip flop,you dont have to put it on the smiths try another watch or sell it,come on chaps are we wingeing poms :lol:

Journeyman

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Today i receive by the post a new barbie doll :lol:

welcome home Nr 27 8)

Master

Congratulations Bestak, some nice photographs there. Enjoy the watch.

Gav

Tks for sharing the pics...wow i need to contact eddie to order both of them ...

Master

They have been despatched :D

Quote Originally Posted by BigD
    Excellent, looking forward to some real life pics out and about :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD
    Excellent, looking forward to some real life pics out and about :)
    Aye they will be no where near your standard Jon :lol:

36mm is for my brother who is built like a racing snake thats been starved so might get some little and large comparison q&ds :D

My 36mm has been dispatched too. Not long to wait now. I have been wearing my Speedbird 3 over this last week in preparation for the arrival of my second Timefactors watch. The Speedbird is an awesome watch - really has the wow factor. I am hopeful that the Smiths will appeal as much.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by joepotts7
    I am hopeful that the Smiths will appeal as much.
    The appeal for me on my 39mm is the simple understated elegance of a true updated classic :thumbright: I've owned a lot of homage watches over the years which ended up falling short of expectations. I can honestly say that for me finally at long last, I have found my own personal "grail".

Eddie has made a cracker of a watch no doubt about it. The Smiths is THE one I have been waiting for. I'm sure though that the 36mm owners will also be just as impressed when they receive theirs..

Here is a quick and dirty shot of Number 16 on a 7inch wrist:

I really liked Jon's shot of his 39mm being worn with a braided Perlon style Nato, and have decided that this is the perfect strap for this watch. Historically the braided strap is what the original came on so having it as Nato is a fitting update.

Jon's picture:

Thanks Eddie :thumbleft: You've really hit the mark this time!

Cheers,

Konrad