closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which watch to a black tie dinner?

Re: Which watch to a black tie dinner?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanV
    Actually, none of the above. It's a dinner party - you shouldn't be worried about what time it is.
    Qft

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by jd
    I firmly believe that at least 99% of the time, no-one cares at all what watch you have on. It's mostly marketing nonsense anyway.
    No one? Or no one else? I almost always have a marginal interest in what watch I have on, although, often, others don't. Similarly, I almost always have a marginal interest in whether I have a mild headache, although, often, others don't.

Also, although I don't always comment in it, I nearly always take a look at the Friday thread. So, I am interested in what watches others using the forum are wearing, at least on Fridays. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz
    Decided on this -

Superb choice..........mine says hello too, although I tend to wear mine at least three or four times a week...far too nice to keep simply for black tie functions.

inexpensive elegance:

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK
    None of the above. Wear an appropriate dress watch or nothing at all.
    I'd say wear a dress watch if you have one, but if not a Sub or SD would hardly be the worst choice.

Of course you can wear the Sea Dweller. And when you see people looking at you and whispering, they'll be saying 'That twat thinks he's James Bond. Loser'.
    They might, but I wouldn't give a shit what people like that thought of me.

Now if I was sad enough to wear a 007 logo'd Seamaster, they'd have a point :wink:
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims

They might, but I wouldn't give a shit what people like that thought of me.
    I like your thinking Mr Tims, always best to walk your own path.
    For what it's worth I've always worn my sub for the black tie parties I've attended - and a Rolex on my wrist has never failed to put a smile on my face :D

That's right why wear a watch for someone else? ITs about glancing at it and making yourself smile. If by chance someone else appreciates it then great, but when you're out in general that's pretty rare in my experience...

Then why wear black tie at all, if not to please someone else? If you take the 'please yourself and not others attitude' then you could just turn up in a shell-suit and "not give a shit what people like that (i.e. people with taste) think of you".

I agree to the "why wear black tie at all" comment, when i am supposed to wear it for my work/media events i ALWAYS please myself now by going in a crisp black Boss suit with normal long black tie and none of the "usual" extras that everone else seems to wear. (No cumberband, no stupid frilly shirt and definately not a bow tie) I please myself and do the same with what goes on my wrist, even if sometimes someone says, "what's that ugly thing on your wrist" my reply is often, "oh its a vintage Monaco or Silverstone" (delete as applicable). The majority of the time they would probably prefer the look of a Seiko, but as i'm wearing these watches for myself it doesn;t really matter and i know occasionally i will stumble across someone who can see the beauty in them...

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by richardc77
    I agree to the "why wear black tie at all" comment, when i am supposed to wear it for my work/media events i ALWAYS please myself now by going in a crisp black Boss suit with normal long black tie and none of the "usual" extras that everone else seems to wear. (No cumberband, no stupid frilly shirt and definately not a bow tie) I please myself and do the same with what goes on my wrist, even if sometimes someone says, "what's that ugly thing on your wrist" my reply is often, "oh its a vintage Monaco or Silverstone" (delete as applicable). The majority of the time they would probably prefer the look of a Seiko, but as i'm wearing these watches for myself it doesn;t really matter and i know occasionally i will stumble across someone who can see the beauty in them...
    +1 for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by richardc77
    that's so right! we buy watches for ourselves mostly, not to impress others ...

(although it's not that uncommon admittedly)

Thomas Reid

Then why wear black tie at all, if not to please someone else? If you take the 'please yourself and not others attitude' then you could just turn up in a shell-suit and "not give a shit what people like that (i.e. people with taste) think of you".
    I don't habitually dress for dinner. :) But, if I accept an invitation that says "Dinner Jacket", then, to be polite to those who invited me, I wear a dinner jacket. I generally also bathe and shave, although it isn't on the invitation that I should. Some conventions are mentioned, some are assumed. I suspect that I'm very conventional, i.e., I think conventions are pretty important, and never ignore them, although I don't always follow them.

An aside. I do care what people think about me. I want everyone to like me, love me, admire me, and bow down to me as the rightful supreme ruler of the universe. So, for me, the interesting questions are i) what are the chances of it happening, and ii) how much can I gain by trying to make it happen. The answers to each is the same: very little :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Then why wear black tie at all, if not to please someone else?
    I wear the black tie because it's a mandatory requirement for entry into the party - and if I'm to attend the party then I accept the caveat of the dress code. If the invitation said "Black Tie and dress watch" then I'd wear the dress watch, if it doesn't mention which watch I should wear then I make my own mind up and wear something that pleases me (I also choose my own undercrackers :D ).

"not give a shit what people like that (i.e. people with taste) think of you".
    I dispute the "people with taste" comment, I think what you meant to put was people that agree only with your idea of what is acceptable. Personally I'll wear what watch pleases me, better the sheep dog than the sheep as they say.

I might be really daring once the ash clouds lift over europe .... book myself a flight and leave my fleigers at home and wear a dress watch instead .... ooooooo, what will all those other passengers say :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by dulux
    Put a waistcoat on and get a pocket watch. Different. No need to worry about watch under cuff then either.
    Talking of Black Ties :wink:

Thomas Reid

Even I take an occasional stroll on the wild side. The strap for my dress watch is dark, slightly textured brown instead of shiny black patent leather or reptile.

Best wishes,
    Bob

definately not a bow tie
    Why not? I noticed that Thomas Pink have them on sale and I keep forgetting to ask a mate if they are on sale in the shops too, I might go to Jermyn street tomorrow actually and take a look. I am quite taken with the idea of a Bow Tie for a change.

FWIW my missus and girlfriend think i'm crackers anyway.

Simon

Anyone with class / taste should know better than to look at someone and whisper about them in such crude terms as to suggest they were a twat just because they wore "the wrong watch" !!! I mean how very tasteful? To repeat I really wouldn't give a shit what such clearly crass people thought.

Additionally whilst owning a decent Rolex is hardly a guarantee that the wearer is not a twat, it's a fair bet that they're not all that much of a loser.

Wearing what some might consider the "wrong watch" is hardly the same as turning up in a shell suit, not that I've ever worn one of those in any case and lets keep a little perspective; wearing a Sea Dweller or Sub is hardly as unsuitable as a blinged up Jacob, or a massive Graham
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

Sea-Dweller. Let them all know you own a Rolex :wink:

Blog Entries

Been awhile since i went to a "black tie" do but if invited at least respect the occaision and as to watch? i would go with the SD as nobody will care or notice what your wearing or just take your mobile if your that concerned with time and pretend its the cigarette case that occupied your inside pocket all those years ago.

Above all resist the urge to buy one of those "faggoty" dress watches for the sake of it real girls wear a Rollie :wink:
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Journeyman

I wouldn't consider the watches you mention as dress watches, I myself would go for a classic vintage Omega Constellation from the 60's. But since your question was different, I would go for the Speedy!

Regards from Rotterdam!

It's all down to personal taste which is whats so great about watch collecting, having different opinions and liking the different watches and sharing that passion.

I have recently worn a PVD Monaco to a black tie event, pleased me, matched the outfit i thought, but i'm sure plenty would dissagree and who might say a PVD belongs only to casual torn jeans outfit...

Viva la diference.

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier

I don't habitually dress for dinner. :) But, if I accept an invitation that says "Dinner Jacket", then, to be polite to those who invited me, I wear a dinner jacket. I generally also bathe and shave, although it isn't on the invitation that I should. Some conventions are mentioned, some are assumed. I suspect that I'm very conventional, i.e., I think conventions are pretty important, and never ignore them, although I don't always follow them.

An aside. I do care what people think about me. I want everyone to like me, love me, admire me, and bow down to me as the rightful supreme ruler of the universe. So, for me, the interesting questions are i) what are the chances of it happening, and ii) how much can I gain by trying to make it happen. The answers to each is the same: very little :)

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Who'd have thought - an Oxford Don thinking conventions are pretty important (Bob - I'm jesting!).

I tend to agree - If I'm invited somewhere, I will respect the wishes of the hosts and wear "Black Tie" (yes I own the full set, including a choice of black or cream jackets - cruises only for the latter - burgundy or black bow ties and matching cummerbunds) or whatever is required.

I've just been to a wedding and spent well over £1000 sorting out new outfits for myself and my girlfriend - looking at the state of what other people were wearing, I'm very glad I did, I would have felt embarrased if I'd had to turn up in some of the outfits on show (gentlemen - polish your bloody shoes and never wear a comedy multicoloured waistcoat to a wedding!).

But I digress, as far as dress watches go, I wore this:

because it's lovely (IMHO) and, up until Sunday, was the dressiest watch I own.

Now, I might wear this:

but I will often wear this:

or even this:

with a suit and tie.

I think the only real rule is: try it on and see if it works, if necessary ask your other half, she will, I'm sure, offer an opinion (mine certainly does!).

Cheers,

There is a crossover between convention and fashion in that being conventional is following fashions that have endured long enough to become traditions. Whilst being fashionable is following the very latest trends. Either way we are all conforming in some way so are being "sheep".

The fact is that traditional Black Tie means wearing a black, natural fibre (non shiny) dinner jacket with ribbed silk facings, braided matching trousers, white Marcella dress shirt (with fold down collar - not wings), black silk bow tie (and cummerbund with single breasted jackets) and smart, oxford, black leather soled shoes. For those with attention to detail and a sense of sartorial elegance they will choose to wear shirt studs, cufflinks and a watch that traditionally go with black tie (so not a large sports watch). These people will be unlikely to get laughed at in 10 to 15 year old photos of the event.

Those following the latest fashions who don't want to be traditional (and don't mind looking like an X Factor judge or an extra from Reservoir Dogs) will at the moment choose a black suit with shiny lapels, a white shirt and a weird, skinny black, full length tie. They are deliberately making a statement with what they are wearing anyway so are unlikely to care if people think their big, commercial saturation divers watch or giant, busy chronograph is a little over the top for the occasion. They are probably fully aware that when photos are viewed in future years - they will look silly (just like the 1990's fashion for high collar black "chauffeur" suits - made by designers such as Hugo Boss and copied by Burtons etc.).

There are of course people who rarely wear Black Tie who will just make do with what they have available which will probably be a basic dinner jacket and trousers, dress shirt, bow tie and the smartest of their watches (whether it be a divers watch or not). These people are not trying to make a statement and generally look fairly smart - so fair play to them. It is however my preference, if I have the choice, to go with the most traditional look. For the type of Black Tie occasions I get invited to, I think it is polite to the host for all guests to make the best possible effort they can to ensure the evening is glamorous (but a fashionable shout for attention would not be appropriate).

Master

Is this still going on? I go to black tie things frequently and white tie things occasionally. With regard to the former, obsessing over whether or not a watch is, by some arbitrary criteria, right or wrong is ridiculous, vulgar and snobbish. Black tie is, if we're being picky about it, at most semi-formal anyway, so treat it as such.

Wear good shoes, an excellent suit, whatever watch you want and punch anyone that looks at it askance.

Edit: on the other hand, I suppose it's a viable excuse to buy a watch, so why not?