closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Should I sell my watches or am I having a brain fart!

Craftsman

Should I sell my watches or am I having a brain fart!

Hi Guys. I'm having a bit of a dilema I have been gradually collecting watches over about 5 years. I really got the bug and any extra cash went on a new watch at the end of the year a bit like a Christmas treat. Suddenly I seemed to have fallen out of love with them and am pretty much stuck on wearing just one, the full size (blue face) Omega SeaMaster co-Axial. The watch is so comfy on the wrist and has a certain weight to it that gives confidence, and when Im bathing the kids I dont have to worry about the leather strap getting wet which is one of the reasons Im not wearing the Panerai(s). I found I was buying my watches for what I thought was purely practical reasons originally:Rolex Explorer II white face (for holidays), Rolex Seadweller (for business, I know its a bit weird), Panerai 250 (with jeans,its complicated), Panerai 232 (its old school), Omega SeaMaster (for everything)

but now Im thinking of selling the lot and just sticking with one. What should I do any advice??

Re: Should I sell my watches or am I having a brain fart!

Sell 'em if you don't love 'em, but put the money aside and buy the next watch that really gives you the horn.

Master

Sell them and buy a Harley or a convertable for the summer. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by gee-whizz
    Sell them and buy a Harley or a convertable for the summer. 8)
    Now that's a good idea. Get a used Caterham - zero depreciation.

If you're not getting any enjoyment from any of them, then sell them :(

Banned
    Blog Entries

Id say sell your least favorite two first. whatever you do Keep a Rolex (Seadweller!) and keep your Seamaster that you love at the moment.

Dont sell everything at once and dont sell you SD cos even if you put in the draw for 20 years you will make money on her! If you did once love it though, it will happen again. Just be patient with her!

A wise man once said:

"You cant be in love with your entire Hareem at once, but over time you can love them all!"

Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen
    A wise man once said:

"You cant be in love with your entire Hareem at once, but over time you can love them all!"
    Very good! :lol:
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

A wise man once said:

What a great quote that is :D

Grand Master

I`d advise selling them if you're not getting the buzz from owning them. You've got a fair amount of money tied up there.

However, think carefully before letting them go.

Paul

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Jamessh
    Suddenly I seemed to have fallen out of love with them and am pretty much stuck on wearing just one, the full size (blue face) Omega SeaMaster co-Axial. The watch is so comfy on the wrist and has a certain weight to it that gives confidence, and when Im bathing the kids I dont have to worry about the leather strap getting wet which is one of the reasons Im not wearing the Panerai(s).

but now Im thinking of selling the lot and just sticking with one. What should I do any advice??
    How long time are we talking about? A week, a month, a year?
    If you don't feel like wearing any other one than the smp –*sell them off and spoil your kids some.
    It's great – you've found your ulitmate watch :)

Sell the one's which you can make a profit on. Keep the once which will cost you money. That way no harm no foul and owning them has cost you nothing.

Its a buyers market at the moments so no need to rush unless you need the cash. In which case put the Omega away and wear one of the the others - at the end of the week swap it for another - just make sure they all get wristy time.

Oh and enjoy them - you have some very nice watches there.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM

A wise man once said:

What a great quote that is :D

I made it up lads! It must be my best so far. :-)

Yah sell them.

sell some and keep your fav

Craftsman

Some good advice and a cracking 'harem' quote which I will try not to misuse too much. so i think on reflection comfort is the big thing as well as functionality so the Panerai's might have to take the intial chop (nice box, especially the 232), Oh well who wants to buy a few mint watches then?? :bounce:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Get them on the SC mate.

Master

Sell the lot. To me. For a hundred quid.

Problem solved.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy
    Sell the lot. To me. For a hundred quid.

Problem solved.
    Me first!

Master

Id say sell your least favorite two first. whatever you do Keep a Rolex (Seadweller!) and keep your Seamaster that you love at the moment.

Dont sell everything at once and dont sell you SD cos even if you put in the draw for 20 years you will make money on her! If you did once love it though, it will happen again. Just be patient with her!

A wise man once said:

The Seamaster is a great watch, sometimes dismissed due to its popularity and the fact that almost every jeweller on the high street is an Omega AD of some sort. I've been through many Omegas in the past 2 years to settle on an 2531.80 which I'm really happy with.

Two Planet Ocean's, SMP 2254, SMP Chrono, Breitling CA have all been ditched in favour of the Blue Bond, it's all the watch I need. Unfortunately, I've only been able to own one watch at a time and something draws me to the SMP (the 2254 was the first proper watch I owned).

If I also had a SeaDweller though......., the Seamaster would probably not survive. Sell the Panerais but keep the Rollie and SMP

Master

Only sell the ones you don't like or don't wear imho.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I find myself neglecting the bond models. I think its probably for the very reason that bond wears one. Its a bit of a cliche for me, however, im now selling mine whihc is not a bond model because im neglecting it for my recently aquired Tag 2000 Auto. The real truth is that im gagging for a Rolly GMT 2 so im probably just as much of a Brain Fart artist!

In fact, dont listen to me at all. :blackeye:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Jamessh
    Hi Guys. I'm having a bit of a dilema I have been gradually collecting watches over about 5 years. I really got the bug and any extra cash went on a new watch at the end of the year a bit like a Christmas treat. Suddenly I seemed to have fallen out of love with them and am pretty much stuck on wearing just one, the full size (blue face) Omega SeaMaster co-Axial. The watch is so comfy on the wrist and has a certain weight to it that gives confidence, and when Im bathing the kids I dont have to worry about the leather strap getting wet which is one of the reasons Im not wearing the Panerai(s). I found I was buying my watches for what I thought was purely practical reasons originally:Rolex Explorer II white face (for holidays), Rolex Seadweller (for business, I know its a bit weird), Panerai 250 (with jeans,its complicated), Panerai 232 (its old school), Omega SeaMaster (for everything) but now Im thinking of selling the lot and just sticking with one. What should I do any advice??
    My thought as well, but probably around 3 for different purposes.

This will be heresy in a watch forum, but I've sold off everything, except a Seiko cheapy, and a Breitling Steelfish, and feel actually relieved. It has been nice to own many nice watches over time, and maybe it is just the current world economy, but I no longer see money tied up in watches as valuable, and I currently see my prior flipperitis as having been wasterful of money that could have been far better spent. "I'm Larry, and I'm a Watchaholic".

Sell them, let someone else benefit. ALL watches should get a show .

Maybe consider acquiring something else to show the time, that never needs winding, never needs a battery, and that will probably appreciate in value if chosen with care ...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72934&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=atm os
    http://www.gutlin.com/htm/atmos%20clocks.htm

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

best to sell them and put the money into your pension.... :D

Master

one thing worries me, you use the term suddenly fallen out of love. How long have you felt like this?
    might you suddenly fall back in love, as they say absence makes the hart grow stronger and all that....

Though only you know if you really want to thin out the collection, I'd say just move one piece first and see how you feel after that.

hth

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sundial
    Maybe consider acquiring something else to show the time, that never needs winding, never needs a battery, and that will probably appreciate in value if chosen with care ...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72934&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=atm os
    http://www.gutlin.com/htm/atmos%20clocks.htm

dunk
    You can't see the time on this when your running for the train!

I think another important thought for selling off, is no matter how much you want rid, don't sell for less than you paid. nothing serves to spoil the enjoyment of flipping more than making a loss! You should always get what you paid.