closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Breitling Super Ocean "Wave" What do you think?

New Breitling Super Ocean "Wave" What do you think?

It's a from me despite an initial liking of it.

It falls short for me on these counts...

1/Rubber bezel insert looks greyish on closer inspection, could fade and/or damage and would be un repairable = costly.
    2/No lumed "pip" on bezel, surely a must on any serious tool diver?
    3/Silly over sized, slanty numerals but that's just my personal taste.
    4/Fully polished case, on a serious diver?

However I do like the following...

1/The colours on the rehaut, I think it looks good (Reminds me of an IWC Aquatimer though?)
    2/The size. At 42mm it's nice to have something that wouldn't have to be strapped to my thigh!
    3/The inevitable Breitling build quality.
    4/Case shape, quiet chunky and looks well built (Does look a bit Seiko MM though eh?)

So from me it's a case of not so close and definatley no cigar! More of a "Doh" than a "Wow" :)

What do you think?

Here's the link http://www.breitling.com/en/index.php#

Neil.

Re: New Breitling Super Ocean "Wave" What do you think?

I like it, i like the silver rehaut version on a bracelet, i can't say i have ever bought a watch for purpose so no lume pip doesn't bother me.

I like the bracelet and i think thsi could be a good seller for them.

Master

The numbers on the dial/bezel make me think of a Marvel comic and because of this, for me personally, it wouldnt age well.

TBH never been a Breitling fan though.

Master

I like quite a few Breitlings but I think that this design makes it look cheap.

I like the idea of the contrasting coloured rehaut/chapter ring (whatever you are supposed to call it) but it really doesn't work for me. I think some people said the same sort of thing about the new Aquatimer (which I quite like).

Actually didn't we have this in a previous thread? I seem to recall posting a similar comment last week.

Journeyman

Like the side profile and bezel teeth.
    Like the hands too

Do not like the all polished bracelet
    The Awful unbalanced ugly italic font on the dial and on the bezel
    The fact, that they are six lines of useless text on the dial.
    The lack of lumed on the bezel too.

So no way I am buying it. At this price level they are much nicer and balanced choises.

Blog Entries

As I've stated before, what a cheap nasty looking piece.
    Another way to expensive diver with an Eta 2824 ticking inside.
    If they don't produce an 3-hands in-house movement, it's never an alternative to a sub I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

IMHO it is 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

When and how much?

I like what they were trying to do with it, but the final execution just doesn't quite work. For me, the font of the numbers on the dial/bezel ruins it. In fact, I'd get a headache looking at it for too long :shock: :lol:

Grand Master

The case and bracelet are carried over from the current Superocean so anyone who's said "I really like the case size and bracelet but I don't like the dial!" can easily sate their desire by buying the current model.

Not a patch on the toned-down Steelfish, which wallops all other sub-£5000 divers for function, purpose, spec and VFM. Only the lack of bigger lume markers at 12 and 6 count against it in very deep water. (And of course, purely subjectively, the brand which some people will never get past.)

On this one, I don't much like the stylised numerals or the fact that only the cardinal points are lumed. No bezel pip seems odd to me in a dive watch that's otherwise massively over-engineered for the purpose - 1500m WR, helium valve. Function just got blitzed by form...

All round, a watch ideal for the 21st Century, then.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    The case and bracelet are carried over from the current Superocean so anyone who's said "I really like the case size and bracelet but I don't like the dial!" can easily sate their desire by buying the current model.

Not a patch on the toned-down Steelfish, which wallops all other sub-£5000 divers for function, purpose, spec and VFM. Only the lack of bigger lume markers at 12 and 6 count against it in very deep water. (And of course, purely subjectively, the brand which some people will never get past.)

On this one, I don't much like the stylised numerals or the fact that only the cardinal points are lumed. No bezel pip seems odd to me in a dive watch that's otherwise massively over-engineered for the purpose - 1500m WR, helium valve. Function just got blitzed by form...

When did the Steelfish get toned down? and how has it been toned down exactly? I've taken a look on the Breitling website and it looks the same as it has for the last 2 years or so at least :?

Not being snippy, I genuinely want to know.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel
    When did the Steelfish get toned down? and how has it been toned down exactly? I've taken a look on the Breitling website and it looks the same as it has for the last 2 years or so at least :?
    Ah, I meant in comparison to the Superocean. It's all-brushed, compared to the polished SO. I had one once (an early 42mm) and the only thing I thought a bit gaudy was the highly reflective 12, 6 and 9 numerals which were very large - better to have stick markers although that might have made it look a bit Sub-ish. The satinated dial was nice too.

I was going to say a word about the size of the 2,000m 44mm variety, which approaches the Rolex Deep-Sea for heft, but that seems to be in vogue these days - so I'll keep me trap shut ;)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

3/Silly over sized, slanty numerals but that's just my personal taste.
    Which I share, think they look terribly over-designed and 'modern'.

I like it - but would prefer to see 3,6,9,12 on the dial of a watch with moved date - I really don't like the numbers set out like that on a dial - would even prefer hour makers - I can tell the time!
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman

Similar thoughts, so I bought the current model yesterday with black dial. I would have preferred that they leave the 12, 6, 9 metal arabics off in favor of lume pips, but of the Breitling line, this is probably the best "lume".

Craftsman

Not being snippy, I genuinely want to know.

Having moved to the current Steelfish from both the Rolex Deepsea, and then the Breitling Super Avenger, the "toned down" aspect is the fact that the Pro II bracelet is brushed steel (think Seadweller) rather than polished, as is the face of the case. Actually quite a bit less noticeable than most of the Breitling line. Other than a titanium chrono avenger, this watch qualifies as "de-blinged".

Master

No, not for me either.

Once again, Breitling successfully over-bling what is quite a purposeful design. Polished case (and when Breitling polishes, it's like looking into the sun !), daft silver numerals, no intermediate minute markings on the 0-15 bezel (something I believe a dive watch should possess).

As someone else pointed out, it reminds me when the last gen IWC Aquatimer went all techno yellow after the clinical excellence of the 3536 GST. And remember when the superb Breitling Blackbird morphed into the hideous 2nd gen 'Big Date' :roll:

Sorry, I go for stealth over shine, anytime.