closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Doxa vs Seiko MM300

Master

Doxa vs Seiko MM300

I have been having some debate in my mind recently and hope you can help. I am moving towards owning just one 'decent' watch which is hard enough in itself. But like many of you, am having to route funds into other things at the moment. I have just sold my 'office' watch which I liked, but didn't love. It was a TAG Heuer Autavia - distinctive and classic looking.

I now wear a Doxa Sub750T GMT Sharkhunter, my second Doxa after a Sub750T Pro. I have also owned various Seikos in the past including 6309-7040 (original and modded), Sumo and SKX007s. I came very, very close to buying a Seiko Marinemaster 300 but couldn't justify having two relatively high-value watches at the moment.

What it comes down to is this. Should I sell the Doxa to pick up a Marinemaster? The increasing amount of photos of the Seiko are driving me crazy! I want something distinctive with good quality and accuracy that can be worn with a suit as well as at weekends. The Doxa is great. No, it's fantastic. BUT the pull of the Seiko is sooooo strong.

If anyone who's owned both can comment or post comparison photos it'd be appreciated. As always, it's always hard to judge the size and scale of a watch unless it's compared to one you know really well.

What would you do? Even thought about putting MM300 hands on a Sumo to quell my craving. But don't think that's the answer either.

Please help!

Here's a photo of my Doxa which may help explain why it's hard to let go...

Anthony

Re: Doxa vs Seiko MM300

Personnaly I'd keep the GMT. With the seiko it could be a pasing interest, mIf you still would prefer the seiko in 4 weeks then get it. trying that my help you make the right choice :)

Quote Originally Posted by frp422
    Excellent picture 8) 8) 8)

Keep the Doxa BTW :wink:
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

I would sell the doxa. My email address is jon........

Keep the Doxa and buy a Marinemaster :D

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi
    Keep the Doxa and buy a Marinemaster :D
    +1

Sounds like you would miss the Doxa and even though the MM is just stunning, it's quite different from the Doxa so the two would complement each other well :)

Here are some pics to make the decision harder :twisted:

Been wearing it today actually, on a Nato in this warm weather :)

Keep the Doxa

I haven't owned or handled either but based on lots of pics and reviews, the MM300 appears to be several leagues above the Doxa in every single category. An easy decision for me.

Seiko MM300

From my log in name for sure I will suggest you to pick up a 300MM.

You can see the build of MM.

The Doxa just likes any 6309...looks good but very raw.

Keep the Doxa !
    Sometimes , later on , buy an MM 300 :D !
    If you like it , you keep it :wink: .
    But , trust me , keep the Doxa .

All the best
    Nicolae
    PS To be honest with you , I like Seiko a lot , but that Doxa ... :drunken:

Master

Keep the DOXA and save up and buy the MM-best of both! :D

Master

Thanks for all the comments people. You're right I think I would miss the Doxa. My gf also commented on the Seiko "it looks like the other watches you used to have", but then again she isn't a massive watch fan like us :lol:

The Doxa was not easy to find in this condition and for what I paid and I think it could be a future classic because of its distinctive style. To the poster claiming it's just like a Seiko 6309 - it is several leagues above in every regard, eg case finish, movement, sapphire, bracelet, dial finish, style etc. I think some people knock Doxas because of some reported customer service issues, but tbh both of mine have been perfect and with a quality that has stopped me replacing them with a "high street" watch brand.

I think I'll hold onto the Doxa and plan to pick up a MM300 later in the year. So much for getting down to just one watch eh!

Here's some more pics to explain my decision...

Anthony

The Doxa is lovely, especially with that bracelet and although the Seiko is highly desireable, Ithink in this case I'm inclined to side with your girlfriend. :wink:

|It is lovely but this thread is 6 months old, I imagine hes decided :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood
    |It is lovely but this thread is 6 months old, I imagine hes decided :)
    Well spotted but I enjoyed the thread anyway :)

Keep the Doxa :thumbright:

I don't know if he's kept the Doxa or not, but the MM300 has come and gone. This is a prime example of why old threads ought to be left alone - they've served their purpose :twisted: :twisted:

BTW that old IWC mkXV vs. mkXVI thread has just been resurrected as well. Jeeesus Pleeezus :roll:

Cheers :evil:

Stern

Quote Originally Posted by jason recliner
    I haven't owned or handled either but based on lots of pics and reviews, the MM300 appears to be several leagues above the Doxa in every single category. An easy decision for me.
    +1

I like the look of the MM, not to keen on the Doxa, there seems to be a lot going on with imo. :cry:

Master

Blimey, talk about a blast from the past :shock:

Anyway, both the Doxa and the MM300 came and went. The Doxa stayed longer, but only because I acquired it before the MM300! Ultimately they were only flipped for financial reasons otherwise both would have stayed. Overall the MM300 is a more intriguing piece and of a higher quality than the Doxa, though less distinctive on the wrist.

I am looking to upgrade my collection again soon...but looking at my daily wearer you can guess which direction I might be going in :D

Anthony

Master

The one thing I prefer about Doxa is the feel and precision of the bezel. The bezel on the MM300 to me felt exactly the same as on any other Seiko diver which is somewhat of a let down given the cost differential between the basic divers and the MM300. Having said that though the whole watch has a look and feel to it that even all these great pictures can't capture, I keep telling myself I don't want one but I keep looking. Only a matter of time then :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by NJH
    The one thing I prefer about Doxa is the feel and precision of the bezel. The bezel on the MM300 to me felt exactly the same as on any other Seiko diver which is somewhat of a let down given the cost differential between the basic divers and the MM300. Having said that though the whole watch has a look and feel to it that even all these great pictures can't capture, I keep telling myself I don't want one but I keep looking. Only a matter of time then :D
    I agree about the bezel, although the MM300 bezel has a movement akin to that of a precision safe mechanism running on ball bearings (I imagine!), it was too easily knocked and moved. This would be even more of a nuisance if worn diving. The Doxa bezel has very positive clicks and would only move if the wearer intended it to. Interestingly the bezel mechanism on my 6309-7040, which has been comprehensively overhauled, is also very positive and will not move by accident.

Aside from a niggle with bracelet end-links not quite meeting the case and feeling "loose", the MM300 can stand toe-to-toe with any dive watch in similar price range. I preferred it to the Omega PO in quality, feel and look though the Breitling Superocean Heritage runs it very close apart from the feel of the movement when winding (think it's a derivative of the ETA 2824). Although there are people that know much more than I do, I have always felt the MM300 was a higher-quality piece than the Rolex Sub / Seadwellers I've handled too...

Anthony

Master

The end links where fine on the MM300 I handled, I was left with the odd feeling that everything said about the MM300 both negative and positive is absolutely true. I only have small wrists and the MM300 looks and feels like a beast but on the wrist it somehow looked smaller and sits just right, like it moulds itself to the wrist. The dial and hands have a real 'pop' to them that I haven't seen yet on a Doxa, although a searambler may well do it, my old Breitling steelfish had a similar 'pop' but the dial is better designed on the MM300. I think I will have to get one at some point and I will probably risk it and buy new, I just hope they don't discontinue it soon, its going to come to an end sooner or later and no doubt as with the standard tuna you just know the next variant will be loads more expensive.

That is just wrong. In so many ways. :(

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

I got a new MM300 just after Xmas and I must say its a great watch it feels
    So well screwed together I wear it a lot more than my SD plus the lume is good
    All night long . It runs to with in 2 seconds a day

Master

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

john
    I am surprised you feel that way since all other comments have been complimentary! I assume your view is based on the movement away from original spec. But it's a look I'm pleased with especially after having to sell my MM300 late last year :(

Anthony

Master

Quote Originally Posted by bazza.
    I got a new MM300 just after Xmas and I must say its a great watch it feels
    So well screwed together I wear it a lot more than my SD plus the lume is good
    All night long . It runs to with in 2 seconds a day
    It would be great if you could show some comparison shots as the MM300 and SD are often discussed and compared, but I've never seen them together. The SD has an increasing appeal to me, but not sure if it's worth the added investment (apart from the obvious brand appeal and residuals).

Anthony

It would be great if you could show some comparison shots as the MM300 and SD are often discussed and compared, but I've never seen them together. The SD has an increasing appeal to me, but not sure if it's worth the added investment (apart from the obvious brand appeal and residuals).

Anthony

Comparison pics (you've probably seen them before):

The SD isn't nearly as chunky, which makes it more versatile IMO. And yes, totally worth the added investment :D

BTW I'm with John on the Soxa MarineMaster issue - very wrong :|

Cheers

Stern

camouflage

comparing with SD, MM looks like a giant!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by camouflage
    comparing with SD, MM looks like a giant!
    And a warm welcome to you as well :)

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Doxa vs Seiko MM300
    If you have to ask keep the Doxa. :blackeye:

john
    I am surprised you feel that way since all other comments have been complimentary! I assume your view is based on the movement away from original spec. But it's a look I'm pleased with especially after having to sell my MM300 late last year :(

Anthony
    Please never allow anything I say to spoil your enthusiasm. As long as it functions and tells the time “a bitsa” is as valid as anything else. It reminds me of Indian watch-repairers, where, as long as they can get a watch to work (and sell), they are ready to do whatever it takes. Enjoy your watch … and you can tell me to f-off. :D

Sorry to hear about your MM300. Don’t worry, everything goes round in circles.

john

Master

Doxa vs Seiko MM300
    If you have to ask keep the Doxa. :blackeye:

john

Anthony
    Please never allow anything I say to spoil your enthusiasm. As long as it functions and tells the time “a bitsa” is as valid as anything else. It reminds me of Indian watch-repairers, where, as long as they can get a watch to work (and sell), they are ready to do whatever it takes. Enjoy your watch … and you can tell me to f-off. :D

Sorry to hear about your MM300. Don’t worry, everything goes round in circles.

john
    John you haven't spoiled my enthusiasm, but not sure I agree with the "bitsa" or "Indian watch repairer" comparisons. Having been to India recently the timepieces they cobble together really do bear no relation! Whilst the watch has been fitted with an aftermarket dial, this was the only viable alternative (according to my skills) to fitting a Marinemaster dial. The aim was to build something along the lines of an original Seiko. I went to great lengths to ensure the lume was a good match for the Marinemaster hands (I had the original removed and new lume applied). I believe the overall look is in keeping with Seiko's history, but the best I could accomplish while setting myself a (much) reduced budget.

I know there are those that appreciate "modded" watches and those that see them as an affront to good taste and the manufacturer's original design. I feel comfortable and happy with what I came up with, though share your views on some horrendous examples that are out there! And I should confirm that this is an interim solution - I plan to be wearing another genuine, original 100% high-end Seiko again very soon. :)

Anthony
    !

It is very difficult to choose.
    Although I am very happy with my TISSOT Titanium but I will go definetely for the SEIKO when cash is present sooooon

Master

I think those pictures showing the MM300 next to a sub need to be taken in context, one really has to try one to see how amazingly well it sits on the wrist. It felt far more comfortable to me then either the Doxa 750 GMT I had or the Breitling 42mm Steelfish/Superocean. I am both very grateful and lucky that one of our SWHES brethren has one as I doubt I would ever buy one without trying first as I have always been a bit worried by the size. I only have 6.5" wrists and I came away convinced I could wear one no problem, the lugs came nowhere near the edge of my wrist for example.

Blog Entries

Don't know about the Doxa or the Rolex; I don't own them (well, an vintage Doxa Spirotechnique, but that doesn't count here). The MM is a very heavy watch. Perhaps due to the materials used. These can stand a nuclear blast if you ask me.

The MM is the only Seiko watch with a name on it. We give 'm names, but Seiko doesn't. For one exception: the MM. And I think that it says a lot about Seiko's model policy. I don't think that there will be MM-ish watch again. Doxa (and Rolex) on the other hand are a family of watches, connected by their shape. Pick up a Doxa and you'll have to be a real WIS to see what type it is. Again, there's only one MM. My wife visited New York last September and she told me that she had seen a man in the MoMa wearing a MM! This watch stands out in a crowd. As far as known, there are only 4 MMs in Holland. When wearing a MM you don't have to think that you'll meet someone else with the same watch!

And for the last push towards a MM... A few weeks ago I was on holiday, and I took only one watch: a Seiko Atlas. Sitting in a chair I was wondering what I would pick out of the box after arriving back home. Without a doubt I decided that it would be the MM!

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster

The MM is the only Seiko watch with a name on it.
    The SBCN005 Transocean is a MM with the name on the dial. Some have it on the dial and some don't. What about the ones with SCUBA on the dial?

john

Looking at the photos; it has to be the Seiko.

Blog Entries

The SBCN005 Transocean is a MM with the name on the dial
    I stand corrected! What I wanted to say is that Seiko only puts the name 'Marinemaster' on watches. It's the only watch with a name. I personally think that 'Scuba' isn't really used for as a name. Like in 'scuba diving'
    (But again, I don't mind being corrected! It only adds to the knowledge of the brand and the watch. I like that!)

@ halfscrew: you really must try on a MM. It's a very heavy watch. In fact, I removed the bracelet and I'm wearing the watch on the original rubber strap. (Which is in fact the best rubber strap I've ever encountered!) A while back, I posted a review about the Sumo, 6105 and MM on SCWF http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440...o+%28w-pics%29

One last word about the bracelet: the MM bracelet is by far the best bracelet I've ever come across. The diver's extension is work of art (little steps at the time for adjusting) and the endpieces are brilliant too: when you remove the pushpins, the endpieces don't fall of: they are connected with the bracelet with a secondary pin.

Menno

Master

I stand corrected! What I wanted to say is that Seiko only puts the name 'Marinemaster' on watches. It's the only watch with a name. I personally think that 'Scuba' isn't really used for as a name. Like in 'scuba diving'
    (But again, I don't mind being corrected! It only adds to the knowledge of the brand and the watch. I like that!)

Menno
    There is also the Landmaster with a name on the dial

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus

Menno
    There is also the Landmaster with a name on the dial

Let us not forget the Alpinist - be prepared to stand corrected again :twisted: :P

http://www.gmtplusnine.com/2009/02/14/t ... -branding/

Cheers

Stern

Blog Entries

there are only 4 MMs in Holland. When wearing a MM you don't have to think that you'll meet someone else with the same watch!

Four?, are you sure?
    Well, if that's the case I'm really extra special when wearing that watch 8) :D
    Pro's and cons, but you gotta love that watch!

Cheers,

Daddel.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    there are only 4 MMs in Holland. When wearing a MM you don't have to think that you'll meet someone else with the same watch!

Four?, are you sure?
    Well, if that's the case I'm really extra special when wearing that watch 8) :D
    Pro's and cons, but you gotta love that watch!

Cheers,

Daddel.

Well, there's probably just one in central Greece - man, how cool is that :D

Cheers

Stern 8)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    And there is not a single one in Slovenia, cos' I sold mine.
    How cool is that :lol:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matt
    Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    And there is not a single one in Slovenia, cos' I sold mine.
    How cool is that :lol:
    OK you win, that's über-cool :lol:

Cheers,

Daddel.

I don't know if he's kept the Doxa or not, but the MM300 has come and gone. This is a prime example of why old threads ought to be left alone - they've served their purpose :twisted: :twisted:

BTW that old IWC mkXV vs. mkXVI thread has just been resurrected as well. Jeeesus Pleeezus :roll:
    Humble apologies for causing you such angst, although the number of posts following my faux pas suggests that others may not have shared your view. It's a pity your impressive powers of memory are not matched by the ability to be welcoming and courteous to relatively new members. :blob6:

No worries I didn't take it personally :thefinger:

The MM300 is really an amazing watch... and a slow burner. Two things in particular struck me about this watch:

(1) it carries within it a deep history which reveals itself in different moments (and this is even more so than a Sub, for e.g.). When I wear it, I can't help seeing (the grandfather of them) the 6159-7001, as well as a modern classic, as well as an icon for 'the' diver's watch. Its hard to communicate this because I think it can only be discovered when wearing the MM.

(2) I have to say that I was underwhelmed when I first put the MM300 on, however, after 24 hours I found myself on a rapidly rising curve of excitement in a way that I haven't experienced with other watches, and almost a reversal of the normal progression.

Seiko did something amazing with the MM. Its unlike any other watch, and a proper WIS timepiece. Neither a Sub, nor any variant of Doxa, come anywhere near it (and I have nothing against these latter two...). :)

-flugzeit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flugzeit
    The MM300 is really an amazing watch... and a slow burner. Two things in particular struck me about this watch:

(1) it carries within it a deep history which reveals itself in different moments (and this is even more so than a Sub, for e.g.). When I wear it, I can't help seeing (the grandfather of them) the 6159-7001, as well as a modern classic, as well as an icon for 'the' diver's watch. Its hard to communicate this because I think it can only be discovered when wearing the MM.

(2) I have to say that I was underwhelmed when I first put the MM300 on, however, after 24 hours I found myself on a rapidly rising curve of excitement in a way that I haven't experienced with other watches, and almost a reversal of the normal progression.

Seiko did something amazing with the MM. Its unlike any other watch, and a proper WIS timepiece. Neither a Sub, nor any variant of Doxa, come anywhere near it (and I have nothing against these latter two...). :)

-flugzeit

:hello1:

Well put :)

Cheers,

Daddel.

Craftsman

The MM looks very highly finished - think that would edge it for me over the Doxa.