closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Spyker buys Saab

Blog Entries

Spyker buys Saab

The grocer around the corner has bought Tesco. That's about the idea, I think. "Nulla tenaci invia est via" ("For the tenacious, no road is impassable") is Spyker's motto. Perhaps it's more true than the original founders of Spyker had anticipated, back around 1900. (Spyker means 'nail' as in 'tough as nails')
    At the beginning of the 20th century, Dutch coach builder Trompenburg built the first Spyker: a 4X4 6 cylinder engined car. They used a Maybach engine back then. Worlds first 4x4. It participated in the original Peking to Paris rally. Later, Spyker built planes too. Hence their logo: a spoked wheel with a propeller. They went backrupt at the end of the 20s. And the brand was resurrected back in the 90s by Victor Muller

Victor Muller is one of Holland's wealthiest men. Completely selfmade. He owns the company that lifted the Russian Kursk submarine. In fact, almost all world wide maritime engineering and salvage is done by his companies. He always wanted to have his own car company. A Dutch designer built the first prototype, back in the 80s, early 90s. That started the ball rolling. Spyker cars were originally built in Zeewolde, in the center of Holland, but nowadays, his cars (with Audi 8 cylinder) are built in GB, near McLaren and the other Fast Few. HQ is still in Zeewolde though.

His move to buy Saab has also to do with European Emission laws: car companies have to invest in low (zero) emission cars. (That's why Porsche has an interest in of Volkswagen). I don't know if it will survive. But I like the entrepeneurship of Muller. For the tenacious...
    I don't know what watch he's wearing. He's on Dutch tv later tonight. I'll try to have a look. We do share one thing: our glasses: his and my glasses are British made by Algha of Saville Row.

Anyway, being Dutch and being a Saab owner (Saab 96, Saab Sonett and a modern day 9-3), it makes me really glad thing worked out this way. To celebrate: here are two YouTube links. Turn the volume of your speakers as high as possible for the best effect. Automotive heavy metal :D :D

Menno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXVRdSbKDT8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmkOjyGDm-U

Re: Spyker buys Saab

I hope it's a big success.

I studied a modern Saab estate as it spead past me on a roundabout and I actually thought it was terrible looking :cry:

Hopefully this news will transform the fortunes of Saab. A nice brand that had lost it way a bit I feel.

I'd still love to own one some day.

I taxi drive in an 04 Toyota Avensis 2.0 D4D....

Master

I hope it is a success, the world would be a poorer place without Saab :)

I think it's a good thing. Spyker love cars, it's not one of those multinationals, they still have some sort of passion. I really hope it's going to be a success story this time!
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola
    I hope it is a success, the world would be a poorer place without Saab :)

Totally agree - the SAAB 96 and the 99 Turbo's were classics. They just know need to loss their GM underpinnings and get back to making a car like the Saab 900.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I was checking out a Spyker last year. Nice cars, hmmmmm

Happy days! Good to see Saab back in ownership that will treasure its brand. Incidentally, I also rather like Spykers. Pleasingly odd :).

Grand Master

Maybe they will make a better looking car than SAAB ever did hey.

Master

Mmmm... Marine Salvage Engineer with an interest in beautiful cars. Inspired by or inspiration for the legendary Dirk Pitt character from Clive Cussler's novels?

Dave

Happy to hear this 8)

But still not as cool as STRAKER's auto:

:D

Quote Originally Posted by Nalu
    Happy to hear this 8)

But still not as cool as STRAKER's auto:

:D
    Brilliant... 8)

I used to have SAAbs but of course they lost all their originality quite quickly once the GM designers got control. It will be a tough job to keep the factory at anything like its present size unless the new owners want to carry on with the losses that GM have swallowed for several years.
    Still if they can source some decent powertrains SAAB might go back on my 'consider' list.

Regards

Peter

Master

Really hope things work out for Saab, they're a great brand that was right royally shafted by GM.

I nearly bought one of these last year for a bit of cheap topless fun. For sure they're not the best cabrio in the world but there's just something about them...

Why GM ever bought Saab, and then starved it of investment and diluted the strong brand it had will remain one of the mysteries of the corporate world I guess. When you compare it to the billions Ford invested in Jaguar, its a pretty poor effort.

I hope Spyker turn Saab around - they used to make great cars before GM came along with their Vectra underpinnings.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ari
    Really hope things work out for Saab, they're a great brand that was right royally shafted by GM.

I nearly bought one of these last year for a bit of cheap topless fun. For sure they're not the best cabrio in the world but there's just something about them...

Ari,

I bought one of these in November. It has been a lot of fun to drive.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy
    Why GM ever bought Saab, and then starved it of investment and diluted the strong brand it had will remain one of the mysteries of the corporate world I guess. When you compare it to the billions Ford invested in Jaguar, its a pretty poor effort.

I hope Spyker turn Saab around - they used to make great cars before GM came along with their Vectra underpinnings.

Presumably they were trying to do a VAG Group thing and re brand less attractive/aspirational cars with a more attractive badge i.e. Passat = A4 v Vectra = 9-3

I hope it works out, like the Saab brand and would consider the 9-3 2.8 4 wheel drive estate as next car, and, i have to say having seen Spykers at Le Mans over the last few years the finishing of the interior is sublime, if only i had the money i think this would be my left field choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nev
    Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy

Presumably they were trying to do a VAG Group thing and re brand less attractive/aspirational cars with a more attractive badge i.e. Passat = A4 v Vectra = 9-3

I hope it works out, like the Saab brand and would consider the 9-3 2.8 4 wheel drive estate as next car, and, i have to say having seen Spykers at Le Mans over the last few years the finishing of the interior is sublime, if only i had the money i think this would be my left field choice.
    Yes, but GM went about it in such a cack handed manner! Ford were on the right lines with Jag, Aston & (I think) Volvo but they ran out of cash and gave up before they got a return on their investment. VAG, as you say have got the strategy broadly right, GM though, has been mismanaged for years, and I don't think they had a strategy for any of their acquisitions.