So I wanted to pick up something for sofa surfing, some Netflix on the commute, emailing on a beanbag rather than at my desk etc. I was looking to pick up a 2nd hand iPad, probably the 12.9 version. Scrolling through eBay and CEX the price differences between the 3rd gen 2018 A12X and the 5th Gen 2021 M1 seem to be in the 200 range, now going from a 500 iPad to a 700 iPad for the M1 and 3 years less-old is arguably money well spent (perhaps!) but the brand new ones at over 1k are too much for what I want to do really.

I was doing a fairly detailed comparison on GsM arena between all the versions https://m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?...&idPhone2=9387

But apart from the CPU and the LCD to Liquid Retina change there’s not much in it, it seems.

I’m never going to be encoding iMovie films with this, so is there any real reason to not go for the cheaper older one?

Ive been trying to find functional differences which have changed over the generations, like a changelog, but no real success! Anyone know of one? I don’t want to get the older one and find out that it doesn’t support an external display, or some other widget that I end up yearning for!!