closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Native speakers' help needed, please.

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Native speakers' help needed, please.

In the Netherlands, a guy sells a 1957 Saab. The asking price is simply high and he has reasons for that (he thinks, he writes).

In 1957, Saab raced the Mille Miglia. Saab won its class with a two-stroke car. Fast forward, 2009 and 2010: the -then- CEO of Saab did both MM's in those years. The car he used, was not the original car. The original one was scrapped in 1968. (That fact is not in the sales ad). He did both stints in the replica now for sale.

But -and here we go- I find his sales ad very vague about that. He writes:

The car's value is greatly affected by the fact that this particular SAAB was the first to complete the 1000Miglia in 2009 after its class victory in 1957.
    I read '...this particular SAAB...' and '... after its class victory in 1957'. Its (victory) is a reference word in Dutch grammar and refers to something written earlier the sentence: in this case, 'this particular SAAB'. Is that the same in the English language? With this sentence, the seller manipulate the reader to think that the replica he's trying to sell is the real deal, the one that raced in 1957. Or am I wrong? I won't comment 'guns blazing' on what he writes, but I want to be sure that my thoughts are correct and not blurred by translation difference from English to Dutch (in my head).
    Last edited by thieuster; 29th January 2024 at 10:10.