closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Servicing a Reverso.

Threaded View

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.

Servicing a Reverso.

Servicing a Reverso

Perhaps one of the most iconic watches of all time, the Reverso, was launched in 1932 in response to complaints from sportsmen that their watches were being damaged during their exercises.
    The well known art deco design survived for a few years after that but was then pretty well abandoned.
    The story goes that a large number of Reverso watch cases were discovered in the 70's in an Italian workshop and the Reverso enjoyed a new lease of life.
    During my time working at Jaeger Lecoultre I saw many various models, from ones with hidden erotica on the reverse side to finely hand enamelled and extremely expensive gold and diamond cased models.
    This current model I am servicing is a dual time version. Steel case.
    These watches are a pure pleasure to work on.
    They look gorgeous and rarely give any kind of servicing problems.
    This one was mainly dry of lubricants, had some magnetism present and the case and bracelet needed a serious polish and grain.
    There is a large Reverso clock hanging in the reception area of JleC in Le Sentier.
    I have often asked for one at Christmas time but had to make do with a box of JleC freshly hand made chocolates !
    Not complaining !
    Here are some photos of the procedure:

Dried oil in the jewel holes. The winding was stiff because of dried lubricants in the wheels:

Into the cleaning baskets:

Mainspring lubricants dried out:

Reassembly and initial readings:

Reading after oils have circulated:

Hands were magnetised:

Grained the case back but forgot to take photos of the polished case and bracelet !
    Perhaps the owner will contribute !

Isn't it gorgeous ?
    Who would not want to wear one of these ?

Thanks for looking.

Brendan
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 10th December 2017 at 10:50.