closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on Steinhart watches

Opinion on Steinhart watches

I'm very tempted by the Ocean 1 GMT Coke bezel but know little about the company or their watches (other than that they look good!), so would appreciate any input or feedback.
    Ta.

Re: Opinion on Steinhart watches

From what I have read and seen ( although not owned or handled ) they appear to be well made and are excellent value. I quite fancy one myself after Santa has deluged me with cash later this week! :wink:
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Statts
    I'm very tempted by the Ocean 1 GMT Coke bezel but know little about the company or their watches (other than that they look good!), so would appreciate any input or feedback.
    Ta.
    Quality is very good, for the money you will not be dissapointed. Here's a pic of my Ocean1

Quote Originally Posted by captainhowdy
    Quality is very good, for the money you will not be dissapointed. Here's a pic of my Ocean1

Lume looks good (I like a bit of lume!). Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    I quite fancy one myself after Santa has deluged me with cash later this week! :wink:
    Lol, you must have read my mind!

Don't know about this particular model, but I'm wearing the 44mm B-Uhr today, and quality is great for the money.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    Don't know about this particular model, but I'm wearing the 44mm B-Uhr today, and quality is great for the money.

Thanks, that's a smart watch, simple and classy.

Master

High praise for the Stienhart brand.

Products very high standard for the price, and great customer service. :)

Master

I've only had one...in fact I'm wearing it today. It's badged Debaufre, but it's the same as Steinhart.

Mine's the Nav. B-Uhr II (44mm version) and it's great value for the money IMO. It houses a decorated Unitas 6497 visible through a large crystal caseback and keeps time to within less than +1s per day.

The straps are great too.

Cheers,

Guy :)

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco
    High praise for the Stienhart brand.

Products very high standard for the price, and great customer service. :)
    Looks like they are a well liked brand. I see you've got the Nav B Chrono, what's it like as that may be on my 2010 wish list too.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkwindmill
    The straps are great too.

Cheers,

Guy :)
    That's a nice fleiger! I hear that Steinhart's straps are well made. All this positive feedback is very encouraging! Thanks folks.

I have only owned one - a 47mm Nav B-Uhr Flieger automatic.

Which apart from being bleeding huge:

was very well made for the money. I was very, very impressed with the leather straps too.

I am seriously considering getting a 44mm model in the New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by quoll

I am seriously considering getting a 44mm model in the New Year.
    V nice fleiger too. Looks like the opinion is positive all round. Now to decide which watch to get shot of as I'm under orders from Mrs Statts that it's 'one in one out' for the collection now :blackeye:

Had the black Triton which was in my opinion great value for money. You will certainly not be disappointed.

Love them! There was a double red Ocean ! in SC for a while; i'm so glad it sold before i could no longer resist! I recently hunted down my old 44mm Nav.B-UhrII and it is the watch i wear the most!

I bought this a few months ago after another TZer showed theres here and I can honestly say it's one of my favorite watches I own and at any price I cannot fault the quality :)

Ta.
    The Steinhart brand is top VFM.
    And if you buy from them directly you are dealing with Mr. Günther Steinhart himself.
    Which watch company can say that.
    Quality is excellent and service is great.
    Go for it!

Currently wearing this Nav-B ChronoII on the bracelet.

Here's a pic of it on my Orb strap.

Master

I quite fancy the bronzey Marine....

Cheers :)

Craftsman

I got a 47mm sterile Flieger for my 30st BD couple of years ago. I don't wear it too often, but can't fault the quality. Great VFM and beefy leather straps. The only thing I dislike is the logo and the font they use. I consder buying their sub hommage to do a milsub project.

Master

I've had two Steinharts and each time I've been impressed by the quality and feel of the watches. I currently have a three year old GMT which recently I picked up on SC and it loses one second a day! So as you can imagine I'm impressed by the movement also.

Master

I must say they all look amazing value for money, even if they are in some cases a little close to another :)

The pilots watches look great value, I especially like the one on the bracelet. Nice one!

Craftsman

I have a Steinhart Nav B-Uhr and I love it! great value for the money...although the strap is very big!
    I'm thinking to buy an AVIATION when I have the money

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaestro
    And if you buy from them directly you are dealing with Mr. Günther Steinhart himself.
    Go for it!

Stop putting temptation in my way!!

Nice to know about buying direct.

Thanks to all the other posters for their comments.

If there any more pics of Steinharts from other posters I'd love to see them!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaestro
    Go for it!

Stop putting temptation in my way!!

Nice to know about buying direct.

Just wait till you start looking at Marcello C, they are a little step up from the Steinharts.

Thanks to all the other posters for their comments.

If there any more pics of Steinharts from other posters I'd love to see them!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper

Absolutely, very nice :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper

Nice dressy watch, thanks for posting.

Just wait till you start looking at Marcello C, they are a little step up from the Steinharts.

TBH I haven't heard of MCs; only came across Steinhart a month or so ago too. Are MCs a step up in terms of movement, finish, QC? You're always learning new things in WIS World.

I have 3 MarcelloCs and a few Steinharts, including the GMT and Vintage Red, and find the Steinharts better. The lume is much better, the cyclops actually magnifies and the build quality is great. Also they cost quite a bit less.

TBH I haven't heard of MCs; only came across Steinhart a month or so ago too. Are MCs a step up in terms of movement, finish, QC? You're always learning new things in WIS World.
    The Steinharts are very good watches, but imo the Marcello's are just a bit better. The Nettuno is a better size at 40mm for this style of watch on my 7" wrist, fit of the bracelet is very good, also the movements are eta 2824-2 and seem very accurate too.
    Either way you can't really go wrong

Master
    Blog Entries

I have owned 3 steinharts in the past and their cost to quality ratio is second to none..(although i have never owned an Eddie Platts watch ) they are superb and Gunter Steinhart is a pleasure to deal with.
    Cant speak highly enough of the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975
    Ta for the link, that's impressive all right!

Quote Originally Posted by omegaUK
    I have owned 3 steinharts in the past and their cost to quality ratio is second to none..(although i have never owned an Eddie Platts watch ) they are superb and Gunter Steinhart is a pleasure to deal with.
    Cant speak highly enough of the brand.
    Cheers from a fellow Omegaphile :D

I (briefly) had a Steinhart Ocean-1 "Vintage Red" - lovely watch, a homage to the "double red" Sea Dweller, with a date, but no cyclops (thankfully...). I had to return it, though, as it just looked too big (at 42mm) on my puny 16.5 cm / 6.5" wrists - wished they'd made it in 39 or 40mm like a real Rolex. I did flirt with the idea of buying a Marcello-C Nettuno, as this would've been a better size for me at 40mm, and they use slightly better versions of the ETA (or Selita) movements than do Steinhart, but in the end decided to buy a very nice pre-owned Omega Seasmaster 2254.50 as my main watch, which although 41mm, fits me very well! Have also just bought a Yobokies modded (with MOD sword hands, see: http://www.network54.com/Forum/17022...w+SKX031K+mods) SKX031K has a Sub-style "beater", I doubt this will be the quality of the Steinhart Ocean-1, but was much cheaper...

I've owned two Steinharts: one a Aviation the other the Gold LE NavB-Uhr.

I still have the gold Nav B. Totally excellent value for money. In fact if someone I knew wanted to spend £200 on a watch, I'd tell em to save an extra £150 and get a Steiny.

Build quality is good, although I've heard some stories of unhappy customers.... Customer service from Gunter is excellent and straps actually are really good - so make sure you order a couple extra when you get the watch.

Here's mine on a Rob Montana custom strap (nearly cost as much as the watch...ouch!)

On an original Steinhart 'lizard' strap:

and on a £170 Kev 'ammo' strap... LOL

Master

I personally think they are excellent value for money and like it has been said before, the customer service is excellent. I have had a Ocean 1 Vintage Red - which is doing the rounds amongst our members - at least 2 of them have had the pleasure of it after me. Then a Nav-B Chrono II and now I have the one you are looking at - the Ocean 1 GMT with the black bezel. It has been on the Sales Corner for a few days now with no takers, so going to keep it.

The build quality is excellent and the lume is good as well :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by oxfordguy
    I (briefly) had a Steinhart Ocean-1 "Vintage Red" - lovely watch, a homage to the "double red" Sea Dweller, with a date, but no cyclops (thankfully...). I had to return it, though, as it just looked too big (at 42mm) on my puny 16.5 cm / 6.5" wrists - wished they'd made it in 39 or 40mm like a real Rolex. I did flirt with the idea of buying a Marcello-C Nettuno, as this would've been a better size for me at 40mm, and they use slightly better versions of the ETA (or Selita) movements than do Steinhart, but in the end decided to buy a very nice pre-owned Omega Seasmaster 2254.50 as my main watch, which although 41mm, fits me very well! Have also just bought a Yobokies modded (with MOD sword hands, see: http://www.network54.com/Forum/17022...w+SKX031K+mods) SKX031K has a Sub-style "beater", I doubt this will be the quality of the Steinhart Ocean-1, but was much cheaper...

I think they now use the same movements for the most part and I would be amazed if there was much in build quality between the two, even though I have never handled either :)

The SKX031 is a classic and very popular and will stand up to most things thrown at it, it just doesn't hack or manual wind, which is a shame. You'll like it I'm sure.

Thanks for the link, interesting and good price too. Congrats on the 2254, I've got a PO.

Quote Originally Posted by PIERS (UK)
    In fact if someone I knew wanted to spend £200 on a watch, I'd tell em to save an extra £150 and get a Steiny.
    Great pics and I wish I'd heard about Steins a while ago as my brother in law was in that exact position last month! He ended up going for a vintage Rado, which is rather nice.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrBond
    ...I and now I have the one you are looking at - the Ocean 1 GMT with the black bezel. It has been on the Sales Corner for a few days now with no takers, so going to keep it.

The build quality is excellent and the lume is good as well :)
    I saw that and was tempted but it is the Coke bezel version I'm after. Nice to hear about the quality and lume, I like lume me :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by stix

I think they now use the same movements for the most part and I would be amazed if there was much in build quality between the two, even though I have never handled either :)
    Not quite, when I asked Marcello-C about the the movement grades, they said that (for the ETA 2824-2 versions, at least) that they use the "elabore" grade, with incabloc shock protection, whereas Steinhart use the 'standard" grade.

The SKX031 is a classic and very popular and will stand up to most things thrown at it, it just doesn't hack or manual wind, which is a shame. You'll like it I'm sure.
    Thanks, I'm aware of the lack of hacking/winding, but at that price I can't complain! :-)

For what I know, Steinhart is using Elabore too. At least in their 7750 powered watches.

Master

I did a quick review of the Steinhart Red here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=93862&p=969981&hilit=steinhart #p969981

Nav B-Uhr 44mm

Must echo all positive opinions here on build quality, lume, service, VFM, etc. £350.00 well spent, and heading for a B-Chrono next - however, IMHO 44mm in this model should wear big enough for most wrists. The 47mm is enormous!

Master

Not quite, when I asked Marcello-C about the the movement grades, they said that (for the ETA 2824-2 versions, at least) that they use the "elabore" grade, with incabloc shock protection, whereas Steinhart use the 'standard" grade.

Thanks, I'm aware of the lack of hacking/winding, but at that price I can't complain! :-)
    Ahh right, I didn't take into account the possibility of different gradings. I wonder if that applies to GMT movements as well?

It also appears the Marcello use the SW200 movements and again, I wonder if they all come in different gradings, no reason why not I suppose? I'll do a bit of research.

Master

Ahh right, I didn't take into account the possibility of different gradings. I wonder if that applies to GMT movements as well?

It also appears the Marcello use the SW200 movements and again, I wonder if they all come in different gradings, no reason why not I suppose? I'll do a bit of research.
    Wow, how cool, just e-mailed Steinhart about movements and got a prompt reply from Gunter stating they only use "Elabore" grade movements in their Divers and GMT watches.

Nice one :thumbright:

Master

Is that a limited edition Mike?

I can't seem to find it on their website, the one I can find is not with the "diamond" crown.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by pinpull
    Nav B-Uhr 44mm

Must echo all positive opinions here on build quality, lume, service, VFM, etc. £350.00 well spent, and heading for a B-Chrono next - however, IMHO 44mm in this model should wear big enough for most wrists. The 47mm is enormous!
    Looks incredible. The crown is really nice too. I find it a bit odd, but nice in it`s own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus

Is that a limited edition Mike?

I can't seem to find it on their website, the one I can find is not with the "diamond" crown.
    Thomas, I actually ordered the standard one, but it came with this crown. And I'm pretty happy with it to be honest ;-)
    They're open for special orders anyway. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by JustaHunch
    I did a quick review of the Steinhart Red here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=93862&p=969981&hilit=steinhart #p969981
    Thanks for the link, nice pics and nice watch.