closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 46 of 83 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,300 of 4132

Thread: Whiskey

Master
    Master of Malt currently have Nikka Whisky From The Barrel at £29.83 - £9 off the usual price for a 50cl bottle: https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...barrel-whisky/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Master of Malt have Nikka From The Barrell for about 28 quid which isn't bad at all.
    GAH! Posted as I was writing my reply. Obviously great minds think alike!

Craftsman

Walker

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    To quote my own post here; I see Johnnie Walker are now bringing out bottles branded Jane Walker to appeal to the female market.

Silly really in my eyes...
    Whether it be Johhnie or Jane, they have a great product . After many years of going down the single malt route and in some cases following the single malt hype it was an absolute pleasure to arrive at Johhnie Walker and my monthly guilty pleasure of a bottle of Blue

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Whether it be Johhnie or Jane, they have a great product . After many years of going down the single malt route and in some cases following the single malt hype it was an absolute pleasure to arrive at Johhnie Walker and my monthly guilty pleasure of a bottle of Blue
    I'm hearing good things about Johnnie Walker Gold Label just now.
    If you can find it.

My two bottles turned up yesterday, good enough reason to polish off the one I already had... To be honest I marginally prefer the regular 10yr however the QC is still very fine indeed.

Slainte.

Look up Dalmore 15 on Amazon today. £42.49. Utter bargain

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

Good price, that. Dalmore is the only Scottish distillery I've visited (and twice at that), I've a bottle of their 18yr at home.

On a separate note, and along with the two bottles of QC I bought earlier, I've just completed my Christmas whisky preparations by ordering a bottle each of Amrut Fusion (Indian) and Mitchell & Son Green Spot Leoville Barton (Irish) to the mix. I've had the Fusion before though it was a few years back, I find it a perfect blend of sweetness and smoke, and I thoroughly enjoyed the Green Spot when I tried it in Ireland last month - both will add dimension to the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

Argh missed it! At 54.85 again. I love that stuff and that's a great price. Have been watching the price but not closely enough obviously.

Craftsman
    There's a Deanston 18 on sale on Amazon and MoM for £49. Unusual to get an 18 year old for this price I reckon. A few weeks wait on Amazon.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by andytyc View Post
    There's a Deanston 18 on sale on Amazon and MoM for £49. Unusual to get an 18 year old for this price I reckon. A few weeks wait on Amazon.
    Thanks for the heads up I'll pick a bottle up!

Three of us had a very pleasant evening a week or two back with this little lot, we even did some blind tasting which was a first for us. Quite a mix of whiskies in that 'photo (and a bottle of tequila that managed to sneak in), and only part of the entire collective collection. I think we drunk our last dram at around 4am...

That's not me, I'm rubbish at growing beards

Bowmore 18 on a good deal at Costco at the moment. Circa £60 when normally £90 plus. My favourite winter dram - smooth, smoky, treacle and chocolate..... not your typical Bowmore taste

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Three of us had a very pleasant evening a week or two back with this little lot, we even did some blind tasting which was a first for us. Quite a mix of whiskies in that 'photo (and a bottle of tequila that managed to sneak in), and only part of the entire collective collection. I think we drunk our last dram at around 4am...

That's not me, I'm rubbish at growing beards
    Curious to know how you got on with the blind tasting. I'm a relatively recent inductee into the world of whisky drinking but I got fairly into it in terms of reading books, watching videos and of course most importantly drinking as many varieties of the stuff to try and educate my palette a bit.

My missus thought it was pretty amusing so last year, she set up a blind tasting from my own collection - and I totally hashed it up in terms of trying to work out what they were, which was the cheapest / nastiest. It was quite an eye opener and I took plenty of stick from her about it! :D Clearly I have a way to go on my education.

Interesting to know how you got on with yours and whether, without any idea of what you were drinking, whether you got it right... and had any surprises?

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post

Interesting to know how you got on with yours and whether, without any idea of what you were drinking, whether you got it right... and had any surprises?
    We did ours slightly differently. On the basis that we thought our opinions as to how "good" a whisky is may be swayed/biased if we knew what we were drinking beforehand (knowing the distillery, how much it cost etc) we each brought along 3 random whiskies that we hadn't brought along on previous whisky nights, we then each took it in turns to pour a measure for everyone without the other two knowing what they were getting. I'd pour 9 measures (25ml, 3*3), then the next person, then the other, so we'd all try 9 different whiskies in total. As we'd go along we'd discuss the merits of each drink and make an attempt at ranking them, only once all 9 whiskies had been drunk did we reveal what we'd sampled.

It certainly made for an interesting night. The JD Black, for example, was something that one of my mates really enjoyed yet he'd previously had a biased against both the brand and to blends. The two Lidl bought Ben Brackens were ranked near the bottom by all 3 of us, we all felt that whilst they were obviously of a particular type they both had a slight unpleasantness to them. The Hogwash was, IIRC, the cheapest from the lot yet I thought it one of the better ones we tried even if it was middle-of-the-road, and one of the most expensive pictured, the Few (a bourbon bought for £55), I thought smelt and tasted like damp, mouldy dough. I thought it was foul, yet the other 2 thought it lovely!

As for if I could identify my own drinks... I'd like to think I could, however that's probably wishful thinking.

Edit to add that we're certainly no connoisseurs, we do like trying out new whiskies though and working out what we do and don't like. It was a great craic and the evening was as enlightening as it was enjoyable.
    Last edited by CardShark; 11th January 2019 at 16:53.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I'm hearing good things about Johnnie Walker Gold Label just now.
    If you can find it.
    A fantastic whisky I get mine from costco

Master
    A quick question for the whisky lovers here. I need to buy a really good bottle of 'special' whisky for one of my team as a prize. Can anyone give me some pointers for bottle around £300.

Thanks!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    A quick question for the whisky lovers here. I need to buy a really good bottle of 'special' whisky for one of my team as a prize. Can anyone give me some pointers for bottle around £300.

Thanks!
    For that price you are spoilt for choice. I'd recommend Glengoyne 25 or you should be able to get a nice 24-28yo single cask Glendronach, or slightly younger Glenfarclas family cask for that price. If something smokier is needed then Talisker 25 or Bowmore 25 are within budget.

Personally the Glendronavh single casks would be my choice but they will generally be stronger so perhaps for a more seasoned whisky drinker? They also have some really nice packaging.

Hope that helps.

I’ve been given a small bottle of Glenfiddich Gallery Cask 10534 1991 Refill Hogshead Cask, by a friend who knows I like whisky.

A long name but it really does taste special to me. I generally prefer a bit more peatiness but this tastes very well balanced to me. A really nice caramel flavour comes through. Apparently ‘Refill’ means it is stored in barrels that have been used before, so the flavours drawn into the whisky are more mellow.

In any event I really like it. I wondered if any other members had tried it or something similar, or could tell me any more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I’ve been given a small bottle of Glenfiddich Gallery Cask 10534 1991 Refill Hogshead Cask, by a friend who knows I like whisky.

A long name but it really does taste special to me. I generally prefer a bit more peatiness but this tastes very well balanced to me. A really nice caramel flavour comes through. Apparently ‘Refill’ means it is stored in barrels that have been used before, so the flavours drawn into the whisky are more mellow.

In any event I really like it. I wondered if any other members had tried it or something similar, or could tell me any more.
    According to Whiskybase there were only 66 bottles, and it's 23 years old, 55.9abv, and worth £1500 a bottle!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    For that price you are spoilt for choice. I'd recommend Glengoyne 25 or you should be able to get a nice 24-28yo single cask Glendronach, or slightly younger Glenfarclas family cask for that price. If something smokier is needed then Talisker 25 or Bowmore 25 are within budget.

Personally the Glendronavh single casks would be my choice but they will generally be stronger so perhaps for a more seasoned whisky drinker? They also have some really nice packaging.

Hope that helps.
    Thank you, will have a look at those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Thank you, will have a look at those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    no worries - if you need a hand please feel free to send a PM.

According to Whiskybase there were only 66 bottles, and it's 23 years old, 55.9abv, and worth £1500 a bottle!
    Mine isn’t a full size bottle, but a nice gift anyway :).

I highly recommend the Pot Still in Glasgow to fellow whisky lovers. It’s the best whisky bar I’ve been in.

Master

A little bit of tasting this afternoon and one for later

Just finished this one off this evening. One of my all time favourite drams

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    Just finished this one off this evening. One of my all time favourite drams
    Big fan of the single pot :-)

I was gifted some Kavalan Soloist Vinho Barrique for my birthday, lovely. This time of year (nov to about now) I guzzle far too much. Macallan 12 rotated with the lower end Nikka's and Yamazaki - the wife now has Jameson (actually I quite like it as well).

Quote Originally Posted by maccer View Post
    Big fan of the single pot :-)

I was gifted some Kavalan Soloist Vinho Barrique for my birthday, lovely. This time of year (nov to about now) I guzzle far too much. Macallan 12 rotated with the lower end Nikka's and Yamazaki - the wife now has Jameson (actually I quite like it as well).
    I've only had a couple from the kavalan range but was very impressed with the sherry oak. I really need to try a few more from the range.

Craftsman
    Great offer on Amazon for the Lagavulin Distillers Edition - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007UOLH..._.3RNCbVRYNEBQ

This was by a long shot the best whisky I had at last year's whisky festival...the regular lagavulin 16 is a classic, but this one is further matured in PX sherry casks...sublime!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    Great offer on Amazon for the Lagavulin Distillers Edition - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007UOLH..._.3RNCbVRYNEBQ

This was by a long shot the best whisky I had at last year's whisky festival...the regular lagavulin 16 is a classic, but this one is further matured in PX sherry casks...sublime!!
    Standard price of £75 showing for me. Was it cheaper last night?

I rather liked the Kilkerran HP. Pretty good for a young whisky.

The latest 12yo was superb, as usual. Probably the best single malt out there under 40 quid (along with the SB10).

A little bit of tasting this afternoon and one for later

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Standard price of £75 showing for me. Was it cheaper last night?
    Oh gutted, yes it was 15% off so about £64...sorry i didn't share earlier

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I've only had a couple from the kavalan range but was very impressed with the sherry oak. I really need to try a few more from the range.
    I try and keep a bottle around and have tried a few different variants, all lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    Oh gutted, yes it was 15% off so about £64...sorry i didn't share earlier
    No probs - Amazon is telling me I last ordered a bottle in November 2017, but I think I've still got a bit of it left!

I finished off a bottle of Kilkerran 12yr a few weeks back, I have no doubt at all that I'll replace it. Lovely stuff.

I am a keen whisky lover but have recently started to dabble in (cheap) Cognacs. Do we have many sippers as it may be worth a separate thread?

Grand Master

Nice to have your services appreciated by some on the forum.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

Nice to have your services appreciated by some on the forum.
    nothing better than a nice single malt to show appreciation, sounds delicious too!

Seen this is Lidl last night, was only £16.50 so thought it was worth a punt.

Just an ok drinking whisky certainly helped along with the 42% abv. Nice to try it but I wouldn't be rushing out to buy another bottle.

I am keen to try the peated offerings in Lidl to see how they fair, harder to get hold of though.

Just purchased Oban Little Bay Reserve from Heathrow. Was quite nice tasting a few before the flight :)

https://wikiofthrones.com/22326/game...rones-whiskey/

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    I got lucky in a competition and got to try Mortlach 47yo last night. Mind-blowing stuff, insanely complex, waves of different kinds of flavours.

I got lucky in a competition and got to try Mortlach 47yo last night. Mind-blowing stuff, insanely complex, waves of different kinds of flavours.
    What an opportunity to try such an old whisky. I bet it was amazing alright!

I wouldn't like to guess how much a full bottle of it would be.

So far I have only had the 21yr old and thought it was rather tasty.

Craftsman
    Seen this is Lidl last night, was only £16.50 so thought it was worth a punt.

Just an ok drinking whisky certainly helped along with the 42% abv. Nice to try it but I wouldn't be rushing out to buy another bottle.

I am keen to try the peated offerings in Lidl to see how they fair, harder to get hold of though.

After trying the BenBrackens from lidl I dont think ill be trying any of their wiskeys again without some solid recommendations.
    In fairness to the speyside malt, it was grand for Irish Coffee but the Highlands malt is just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    After trying the BenBrackens from lidl I dont think ill be trying any of their wiskeys again without some solid recommendations.
    In fairness to the speyside malt, it was grand for Irish Coffee but the Highlands malt is just awful.
    Tbh if had of been only 40% abv instead of the 42 it was bottled at, I wouldn't have even given it a second glance. But for the money its reasonable.

I have bought many bottles at 3 or 4 times the price that where barely drinkable.

I'd still like to try the peated bottling a go, I do like the peat!

Master
    What an opportunity to try such an old whisky. I bet it was amazing alright!

I wouldn't like to guess how much a full bottle of it would be.

So far I have only had the 21yr old and thought it was rather tasty.
    A cool £10k a bottle!

I also tasted the 16yo and 20yo from the new core range. I also have an independent 25yo bottling at home. All very different, it's a great distillery.

This was far more delicate than I expected, but not over-oaked. I could write for hours about the waves and waves of flavours, but if you do get the opportunity, have a dram. It's exceptional.

Tbh if had of been only 40% abv instead of the 42 it was bottled at, I wouldn't have even given it a second glance. But for the money its reasonable.

I have bought many bottles at 3 or 4 times the price that where barely drinkable.

I'd still like to try the peated bottling a go, I do like the peat!
    I spoke about a couple of Ben Brackens a few posts back, I tried them blind and really didn't think much of them at all, at least nothing positive. By all means try out the peated, it's possibly cheap enough to take a gamble, however after trying it myself I wouldn't buy a bottle regardless as to its price.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    I tried a particular expression of their Glen Alba a few years ago and it was very drinkable!

A cool £10k a bottle!

I also tasted the 16yo and 20yo from the new core range. I also have an independent 25yo bottling at home. All very different, it's a great distillery.

This was far more delicate than I expected, but not over-oaked. I could write for hours about the waves and waves of flavours, but if you do get the opportunity, have a dram. It's exceptional.
    Thats crazy money for the the bottle but peanuts to some people I'm sure.

Still really nice to say you have tried it

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I spoke about a couple of Ben Brackens a few posts back, I tried them blind and really didn't think much of them at all, at least nothing positive. By all means try out the peated, it's possibly cheap enough to take a gamble, however after trying it myself I wouldn't buy a bottle regardless as to its price.
    I hadn't noticed your thoughts on them, I'll read back on them. Thanks for the heads-up, I think I'll maybe pass on the peated ones then.

Birthday coming up next month so I'm on the the look out for something special.

A few drams of Bulleit Rye while I catch up on this week's episode of Billions.

Took delivery of these 3 a few days ago, a repeat order of the Kilkerran and Amrut along with a new-to-me tequila - will be sampling each of them tonight with a few friends

Whisky and Tequila by CardSharkLotus

Craftsman
    I will be spending a few days in Islay this summer and am planning to do a few distillery tours while I am up there. Has anyone on this thread got any recommendations for which ones shouldn’t be missed out? Or any suggested bottles to pick up while I am there which may be difficult to come by otherwise?