closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 45 of 83 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,250 of 4128

Thread: Whiskey

Journeyman
    Lately, my favorit is 16 years old Lagavulin.

Craftsman
    Any of you guys into Japanese whisky ?I'm a fan of Suntory Hibiki.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I bought some Eagle Rare bourbon yesterday from Waitrose, had a glass last night over ice, very, very nice.

I'm looking for some recommendations in a modest price range of up to £20 ish.

anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by hicksmat View Post
    I'm looking for some recommendations in a modest price range of up to £20 ish.

anyone?
    Glen Moray Elgin Classic is quite good, in spite of its low price, £20 to £22 in most supermarkets. If you can find it then Aldi's Glen Marnoch Rum Cask Finish Edition Highland Single Malt is exceptional for around £19, next time my local Aldi has it in I'll empty the shelf.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eoghan101 View Post
    Any of you guys into Japanese whisky ?I'm a fan of Suntory Hibiki.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    I am.. but the prices are becoming prohibitive for anything now with an age statement. I was a big fan of the Hibiki 12 year - last year I was able to pick up bottles of the stuff at my local Tesco for £40, and it's now selling for nudging on £200/bottle at auction.. the world has gone crazy. You can pick up some nice non-age statement stuff but it still commands silly prices.. you can buy better bottles of aged, well reputable, Scottish whisky for the same money. That said, 'Nikka from the Barrel' is still very reasonably priced, and is cask strength so good value - well worth grabbing a bottle!

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...barrel-whisky/

That said, I'm currently sitting on a 3cl sample dram of the recently released Yamazaki Mizunara 18 Year.. the single dram cost me £62... crazy purchase, but this recently came out with an RRP of £1,000 a bottle and went straight into the hands of collectors where it's now going for £2,000+ at auction already:

https://www.just-whisky.co.uk/novemb...777303485.html

https://dekanta.com/store/yamazaki-a...-edition-2017/

I figure it's the ultimate opportunity to find out for myself whether the hype is real on this stuff. If I try it and I'm disappointed, I know I can get off the hype train. If I try it and it's amazing, well, then I've had the chance to try an extremely rare and desirable whisky for a not extortionate price :)

I would also say if you like Japanese whisky, check out some good quality American rye - it has very similar flavour profiles to some of the Japanese stuff!
    Last edited by chicaneuk; 26th February 2018 at 17:39.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    I am.. but the prices are becoming prohibitive for anything now with an age statement. I was a big fan of the Hibiki 12 year - last year I was able to pick up bottles of the stuff at my local Tesco for £40, and it's now selling for nudging on £200/bottle at auction.. the world has gone crazy. You can pick up some nice non-age statement stuff but it still commands silly prices.. you can buy better bottles of aged, well reputable, Scottish whisky for the same money. That said, 'Nikka from the Barrel' is still very reasonably priced, and is cask strength so good value - well worth grabbing a bottle!

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...barrel-whisky/

That said, I'm currently sitting on a 3cl sample dram of the recently released Yamazaki Mizunara 18 Year.. the single dram cost me £62... crazy purchase, but this recently came out with an RRP of £1,000 a bottle and went straight into the hands of collectors where it's now going for £2,000+ at auction already:

https://www.just-whisky.co.uk/novemb...777303485.html

https://dekanta.com/store/yamazaki-a...-edition-2017/

I figure it's the ultimate opportunity to find out for myself whether the hype is real on this stuff. If I try it and I'm disappointed, I know I can get off the hype train. If I try it and it's amazing, well, then I've had the chance to try an extremely rare and desirable whisky for a not extortionate price :)

I would also say if you like Japanese whisky, check out some good quality American rye - it has very similar flavour profiles to some of the Japanese stuff!
    I was going to add to that, I have kept my Hibiki 12 bottle with around 1/8th left as its impossible to find now, not tried the non-age expression as yet. The decanter bottle is stunning!

I've tried the Nikka Black, not bad but did not wow me over. I tried one of the Suntory 18yr expressions (possibly yamazaki) it a cocktail bar in Brighton, not impressed at all, no depth to it and again, did not really entice me to look any further....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopsontoast View Post
    I was going to add to that, I have kept my Hibiki 12 bottle with around 1/8th left as its impossible to find now, not tried the non-age expression as yet. The decanter bottle is stunning!
    Funnily enough my Hibiki 12 year bottle is the only empty decanter I've kept as well, of the bottles I've finished :) Plus it's nice to pop the lid off every so often and smell the glorious smell!

I have a Hibiki, Hibiki 12 and a Hibiki 17. All very nice, especially the 12 and 17. But as already mentioned, the prices have gone crazy. I won't be buying again in the near future. I also have 40% tax on top of what I buy here!

I also have the Hukushu 12, Yamazaki Distillers reserve, Nikka Coffey and a Nikka blend.

Yes, I like Japanese whisky!

Craftsman
    Laphroaig (quite intense smokey turfy taste)
    Talkisker Skye and Storm (smokey / salty)
    Dallmore King Alexander III (quite fruity in comparision to the first two)

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    Passing through Heathrow today... I think the Johnnie Walker range is getting a bit out of control...

Red, black, double black, blue, platinum, other type of blue ?, green, island green, explorer, gold... Etc...

Its a bit much really...

Great whisky, my firm favourite being the Green, but theres a confusing range...
    To quote my own post here; I see Johnnie Walker are now bringing out bottles branded Jane Walker to appeal to the female market.

Silly really in my eyes...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    To quote my own post here; I see Johnnie Walker are now bringing out bottles branded Jane Walker to appeal to the female market.

Silly really in my eyes...
    Yeah can’t quite understand this move either.. though they wouldn’t have done it if market research didn’t suggest there was demand.

My missus can’t stand whisky so no chance she would be going anywhere near the stuff, regardless of how it was packaged!

Recently opened the latest springbank 10

This dram lives up to its excellent reviews and well worth a try.

Grand Master
    Bushmills 21 Three Barrel.

Imcredible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp View Post
    Recently opened the latest springbank 10

This dram lives up to its excellent reviews and well worth a try.
    I thought the same. Something about the release in August last year that was rather special. I stocked up on it, and have three unopened bottles.

This Balblair (27) really does take some beating. Silky smooth and full of sweet flavours.
    Smells great too.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    This Balblair (27) really does take some beating. Silky smooth and full of sweet flavours.
    Smells great too.

On the taste list

RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Smells great too.

Ive got a bottle of this to look forward to.
    I was lucky enough to get it for free as I know someone who works at the distillery 😀

Master
    3 bottles of Glendronach batch 16 sourced, eagerly awaiting delivery. Still need to find one of the single cask releases and I'm sorted for a good few months!

Craftsman
    Yeah can’t quite understand this move either.. though they wouldn’t have done it if market research didn’t suggest there was demand.

My missus can’t stand whisky so no chance she would be going anywhere near the stuff, regardless of how it was packaged!
    The Jane Walker is a limited edition bottling for the USA only to tie in with women's day. For every bottle sold money is donated to some women's charities.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    The Jane Walker is a limited edition bottling for the USA only to tie in with women's day. For every bottle sold money is donated to some women's charities.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes, a whisky taking a political stance... exactly what I didn't want from a brand of spirits...

https://www.johnniewalker.com/en-us/...s/jane-walker/

I suspect that hotlink wont last for long, but in it, Johnnie Walker advocates support of "#MonumentalWomen" and "She Should Run". I'm not sure that these qualify as "women's charities".

I'm not here to talk about politics but Johnnie Walker are.
    Last edited by TimeThoughts; 9th March 2018 at 23:27.

This one tonight.

Sláinte

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    This one tonight.

Sláinte
    Great choice.

RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    3 bottles of Glendronach batch 16 sourced, eagerly awaiting delivery. Still need to find one of the single cask releases and I'm sorted for a good few months!
    If anyone manages to still find a bottle, the 15 year old batch 16 Glendronach was truly stunning, well worth it. Thick and oily, big nose of chocolate orange, and a really well balanced flavour. 55% but doesn’t need watering down.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    This one tonight.

Sláinte
    Glenfarclas 105 was a staple of my PhD days!

Was slipping down a treat last night...

Not a bad drop from the old country

Jameson Irish Whiskey £15.00 a bottle at Asda.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/i...FUOM7Qod8zoGrw

I went for a distillery tour a couple of weeks ago as its just a few miles down the road and picked up a bottle of Fior.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...n-fior-whisky/

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Brought a bottle of this Hibiki over from Japan for my dad. It's good, and unlike the Yamazaki 18, still quite obtainable.

Visiting the UK this week and there was still some left, so re-acquainted myself. It's better than good. I may even prefer it to the Yamazaki 18. Not sure. Anyway, highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Visiting the UK this week and there was still some left, so re-acquainted myself. It's better than good. I may even prefer it to the Yamazaki 18. Not sure. Anyway, highly recommended.
    Agreed, it's good, nicer bottle anyway. Quite different to the Yamazaki 18 though, although it's academic anyway as I drank mine and won't buy again at current prices. I have a very nice limited edition 2017 from the Yamazaki distillery though.

Craftsman
    Picked up a bottle of Aberfeldy 12 yesterday from a Sainsburys near Chessington.

It was a Billy Bargain at £20, and well earned reward for the 7 hours following the kids around with their bags at the theme park.

A nice addition to the growing collection

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Hadn't picked this one up before
    A fine dram.

I dont know why i torture myself looking at this thread when i'm stuck at work, only 12 shifts to go.......

Blog Entries
    I had amassed some Morrison’s vouchers over the months - so I just cashed them in for this little selection ...

Should keep me busy for a little while

z

Craftsman
    That Caol Ila is one of my favourite, along with Lagavulin.

I always view whisky as a winter drink, so now it's getting colder, time to review what's in my drinks cupboard …

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    That Caol Ila is one of my favourite, along with Lagavulin.

I always view whisky as a winter drink, so now it's getting colder, time to review what's in my drinks cupboard …

Nice line up for a part-timer.

I was in Dublin late last week and stumbled across the Dingle Whiskey Bar, if anyone here is ever in the area then I'd absolutely recommend stopping off for a dram or two. Mitchell & Son's Green Spot Barton became a bit of a favourite of mine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I had amassed some Morrison’s vouchers over the months - so I just cashed them in for this little selection ...

Should keep me busy for a little while

z
    Have a bottle of the Glenfiddich IPA open currently. I have to say I am rather enjoying it! Really unusual flavour profile but, for me, it really works :)

On the other hand I have heard less than positive things about Penderyn....

Have a bottle of the Glenfiddich IPA open currently. I have to say I am rather enjoying it! Really unusual flavour profile but, for me, it really works :)

On the other hand I have heard less than positive things about Penderyn....
    Yip, the Glenfiddich IPA is top notch, I was pleasantly surprised.

Blog Entries
    I bought these 3 to try something different from my usual (various from Ardbeg)
    I’ve opened all 3 already for a sampler ...

IPA - a bit different - but in a good way, but maybe a little overpriced IMHO.
    Scapa - nice enough, but nothing unusual, so not something I’ll be rushing to get again.
    Penderyn - this is the Celt, so subtly smokey/peaty - not bad, but not exceptional
    (maybe my Ardbegs have set my expectations at 11 for smokey/peaty single malts )

...oh well, it was all free anyhow

z

The IPA marketing is strange.

When they've finished experimenting I might consider spending thirty quid or so on a bottle, but not before.

I've just bought a backup of Glenlivet 15 for 36.90 on Amazon Prime.

Master

A nightcap with this after the Edinburgh Gtg today
    Wife complaining it’s too peaty
    Seems nice to me.

Craftsman

His and Hers

My latest two purchases (cannot recommend the Baileys though, like drinking Nesquik)

Craftsman

Nice..

Did the Teelings Distillery tour last week. It is a fully operational Dublin based distillery and well worth a visit.

I had a tasting session afterwards and I actually preferred the cheapest of those on offer, possibly because it is matured in rum casks: Teelings Small Batch. Good stuff.

Looking forward to trying this when its delivered.

Limited run of 222 bottles. I have bottle numbers 121 and 222.

#121 is for drinking and #222 is for storing.

Laphroaig quarter cask is currently just £24.90 a bottle on amazon deal of the day

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Laphroaig quarter cask is currently just £24.90 a bottle on amazon deal of the day
    Good shout sir, thank you. QC is one of my staples, two bottles now ordered.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Thanks, I snapped up a bottle.

Today they have Ardbeg 10yo for £33.50, which is also pretty good value (this is on one of their Lightning Deals rather than deal of the day).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ardbeg-Year...YBPK8X8WGZ84J3

Master
    Master of Malt have Nikka From The Barrell for about 28 quid which isn't bad at all.