closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 34 of 83 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,700 of 4132

Thread: Whiskey

^^

I'd like to try that Port Charlotte.
    Last edited by Broussard; 22nd May 2016 at 22:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    ^^

- - - Updated - - -

^^

Good choice, it is excellent, cask strength and sooooooooo smoky. The Bunnahabhain grain whisky is rather special too, though my bottle remains unopened as it's a first release bottle - had quite a few drams of it at the society though.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Oh, and Amazon have the Glen Garioch 12yo on offer for £30.10p for a litre bottle with free delivery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/ol/B0...&condition=new

Currently out of stock but will dispatch at that price when stocks arrive if pre-ordered according to the web page.
    Best Regards - Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    ...my bottle remains unopened as it's a first release bottle
    I can't be bothered with whisky speculation. It's there to drink. Not like it's going to get any better.

Just got back from my 15th annual whisky tour....a mate and myself have ridden more of less the same route every year.
    Mainly the Islands....Arran, Islay, Jura, Mull, Skye.....plus whatever else we can fit in, time weather permitting.
    Year 2 he bought 3 casks (futures) at Bruichladdich....had them bottled in 2015. I have a few cases of each.
    Every year has been different....every year has been brilliant....we now have some very good friends on the Isles.
    Here's a few pics to give you an idea...they are not recent, as these days I can't be arsed to carry a camera or take photos....besides...it encroaches into drink time doesn't it?

Ferry from Arran to Clannaig....

Guess where this is...lol

Or this...

More...

Annnnndddddd....

That's me in the background there.....checking out the local wares...

Me...at the Strand on Islay

All in all....Islay easily is my favourite Whisky destination
    Kilchoman....and the new distillery is starting to common tap proper.
    Hopefully, it will remain in family hands and not end up in overseas hands.
    Will have a look for more pics of anybody's interested.
    Last edited by Tifa; 22nd May 2016 at 22:24.

I can't be bothered with whisky speculation. It's there to drink. Not like it's going to get any better.
    Not speculating, just a collectors item amongst other collectables. Not like it's going to get any worse either.
    Best Regards - Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Not speculating, just a collectors item amongst other collectables. Not like it's going to get any worse either.
    Sorry. I just struggle with collecting foodstuffs. Seems an odd thing to do. The bottle was "first issue" whether full or empty. Do collectors keep those too? If so, I have loads of unusual, rare or one-offs I can send you.

Master
    Anybody tried the English whiskey from Norfolk?

Sorry. I just struggle with collecting foodstuffs. Seems an odd thing to do. The bottle was "first issue" whether full or empty. Do collectors keep those too? If so, I have loads of unusual, rare or one-offs I can send you.
    Thanks for the offer, but I think Lynn would be most unhappy if I started to collect empty bottles too The Bunnahabhain will probably get opened on a 'special occasion' as will the bottle of 29 year old Cragganmore which was distilled on my birthday in 1985.

I guess it's no more crazy than collecting watches when a £10 quartz will tell the time just as well. Then again, we don't collect watches just to tell the time
    Best Regards - Peter

Blog Entries

Heads up - Whiskey Deals at Morrisons

I've just snagged 2 bottles of Talisker Skye for £25 each...

... & a bottle of Dalwhinnie Winter's Gold (for Mrs z) - also £25

z

Craftsman
    Did I read one of the guys from lockett bros is in this forum? Just finished off a bottle of their fidra, fantastic stuff!

Grand Master
    Think I located a 1969 Longhorn today! Will be making an offer on it monday
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I've just snagged 2 bottles of Talisker Skye for £25 each...

... & a bottle of Dalwhinnie Winter's Gold (for Mrs z) - also £25

z
    Where was that on offer?
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Morrison's, Gloucester

Journeyman
    Tonight I'm drinking Glenmorangie Original, I also picked up a bottle of the strathspey reserve 21 year old this week from the Manchester airport staff shop, however this is put by for my graduation from uni in November

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Just got back from my 15th annual whisky tour....a mate and myself have ridden more of less the same route every year.
    Mainly the Islands....Arran, Islay, Jura, Mull, Skye.....plus whatever else we can fit in, time weather permitting.
    Year 2 he bought 3 casks (futures) at Bruichladdich....had them bottled in 2015. I have a few cases of each.
    Every year has been different....every year has been brilliant....we now have some very good friends on the Isles.
    Here's a few pics to give you an idea...they are not recent, as these days I can't be arsed to carry a camera or take photos....besides...it encroaches into drink time doesn't it?

Ferry from Arran to Clannaig....

Guess where this is...lol

Or this...

More...

Annnnndddddd....

That's me in the background there.....checking out the local wares...

Me...at the Strand on Islay.

All in all....Islay easily is my favourite Whisky destination
    Kilchoman....and the new distillery is starting to common tap proper.
    Hopefully, it will remain in family hands and not end up in overseas hands.
    Will have a look for more pics of anybody's interested.
    Whoa, what a great trip, I would love to do a Whisky tour, especially on Islay!

I do love the Kilchoman, especially the Loch Gorm. Any new expressions that you found on the tour?

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsontoast View Post
    Whoa, what a great trip, I would love to do a Whisky tour, especially on Islay!

I do love the Kilchoman, especially the Loch Gorm. Any new expressions that you found on the tour?
    I did a boat trip across for N Ireland to visit Bowmore and do a lesson in fly fishing a few years back. Great day on a accounts

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Think I located a 1969 Longhorn today! Will be making an offer on it monday
    Is that a Texan whiskey?

;)

I know not one for purists but there is an e in the title....

Was just introduced to this while driving an ATV in the desert outside Vegas

Redneck Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    I know not one for purists but there is an e in the title....
    Interesting one that....

Purists?
    It's whisk(e)y!!!
    It's ALL good.

I need to take some holiday and after looking at Tifa's trip I could well be tempted with a driving holiday around some distilleries. Any recommendations on routes to take, places to visit?

Thanks
    Fish

If you've not done many distilleries or much of Scotland before, consider Oban as a base.
    From there, you could drop down the Kintire peninsula and do Campbeltown at the bottom....Islay/Jura from Kennacraig (half way down ish) or even Arran...there's a fairly new distillery at Lochranza.
    Oban has it's own distillery...and you're in easy shooting distance of Mull....or Skye if you're happy to travel a bit further.

Master
    Here's my modest collection along with a vintage 10 year glenmorangie and a 8 year old glenfiddich

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Amazon have the Penderyn Welsh whisky in their sale for those interested.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Here's my modest collection along with a vintage 10 year glenmorangie and a 8 year old glenfiddich

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    Stayed in a holiday cottage that came with a bottle of that stuff, unfortunately it hadn't aged well:

The 710 got me this today. Not sure what I have done to deserve it or what jobs I will be given at the weekend. Its jolly nice though....................

Blog Entries
    This looks interesting at tesco for only £25,
    http://www.alexanderandjames.com/whi...728aAg-G8P8HAQ

Master
    Tried some Hazelburn yesterday - no peaty flavour here. I like the Springbank philosophy where they do everything onsite and are still family owned. Good on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Tried some Hazelburn yesterday - no peaty flavour here. I like the Springbank philosophy where they do everything onsite and are still family owned. Good on them.
    Couldn't agree more. Sampled the new Longrow 21 the other week. Brilliant stuff.

Bought a bottle of Hakushu Japanese malt in Costco for £34inc vat. Looking forward to opening it, Never tried a Japanese whiskey before.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tt600 View Post
    Just gave my brother a bottle of Penderhyn - welsh - nice stuff!!
    Is it peaty / smokey in taste?

These are the two I have been enjoying lately

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=Chris H;3992184]These are the two I have been enjoying lately

Love that Nadurra olorosso!

I have a real corker, full on 60.2%...definitely enjoy that with an ice cube!

Last edited by Chris_X; 14th June 2016 at 00:28.

Craftsman
    Was working near North Berwick again and thought it rude not to visit my favourite shop for a spot of shopping. Had to pick up a few bottles for some friends who had various budgets so unfortunately I had to sample quite a few to get the right selection:

I was in Dunkeld on the river Tay all week. Picked up a bottle of this as it was the distillery most local to me. Sadly finished it last night. If you see one grab it, cost about £40.

A birthday bottle from yesterday.

F.T.F.A.

Happy birthday. Still not been to Skye, although went to a random tasting last week of a whisky that's not even been made yet - Raasay distillery broke ground the week before last. They hope to have a lightly peated (14pppm) malt, as well as a few variations...

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    A birthday bottle from yesterday.

Master
    How much do you guys drink? The odd glass as a treat or a lot more? I'm always toying with the idea of getting a decent bottle for those days you just fancy a treat.

I'm absolutely not educated in the world of whiskeys though! So I couldn't even say what type I'd want. Is it even worth me bothering or should I bugger off and get some cheap crap.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    How much do you guys drink? The odd glass as a treat or a lot more? I'm always toying with the idea of getting a decent bottle for those days you just fancy a treat.

I'm absolutely not educated in the world of whiskeys though! So I couldn't even say what type I'd want. Is it even worth me bothering or should I bugger off and get some cheap crap.
    It's an acquired taste.
    Start with a half bottle of a nice blend.
    Famous Grouse takes some beating for the money...it's neutral in taste, and therefore it's a fairly good reference point.

I reckon I get through a bottle every 6 to 8 weeks. Might get through one in a month if it was very appealling. I typically have a drop midweek to reward myself when I catch up on paperwork in the evenings. 2 small glasses of whisky a week has a surprising impact on a 70cl bottle in a month.

If I were you I would get a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label in a supermarket and see how it goes.

If you're anywhere near Harrogate, the Hotel du Vin does a good range of whiskies, including tastings organised with the Scotch Malt Whisky Society. Far better to go somewhere and taste whiskies, than randomly buy something hoping you'll like it. Probably.

It's a treat to be savoured for me. Buy a bottle of Caol Ila for starters, you'll never look back!
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    If you're anywhere near Harrogate, the Hotel du Vin does a good range of whiskies, including tastings organised with the Scotch Malt Whisky Society. Far better to go somewhere and taste whiskies, than randomly buy something hoping you'll like it. Probably.

Good idea. We're extremely north Leeds and go to Harrogate most Sunday's. The wife will love a return 'home'!

Cheers

Start with 'simple' basic blends....THEN move on to the malts.

Highland Park 12 Year Old Orkney Malt Whisky Bottle, 70cl and its £25 delivered at Amazon at the moment. Its one of my all time favorites........................

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Highland-Pa...rhf_ee_s_cp_28

Unavailable already. Did you buy the stock

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg156 View Post
    Unavailable already. Did you buy the stock

Bloody hell that was quick. Only got the one. Good price................

Check again I just put another in my basket.

waitrose often have offers on, just got back from lunchtime walk with a bottle of talisker skye. on offer 25quid.

happy enough. i have 2 main whiskys in, bunahavin 12 and talisker, and then i have up to 3 others that get less use, but on the occasion. currently glen farclas 25, arran 14 and caol isla distillers ed 2013 (i think) plus some rum(angastora 1919) and some armanac(aldi 1973 stuff) some cognac i was given by my boss.

had a dram last night, will see if i deserve one tonight, probably not!!!!

steve

Master
    Folks - my local Tesco (Coventry - Cannon Park) has four more bottles of the Hibiki 12 Year 50cl in stock at the same price of £40. I'm working my way through a bottle and it's extremely enjoyable stuff.