closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 31 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,550 of 4132

Thread: Whiskey

What whiskey at £35.00?

Some advice please - for Xmas I had a "standard" bottle of Glenmorangie, I know its not up to the level of what most veteran whisky drinkers like but I quite like it, its also gave me a taste for a tipple and my birthday is coming up.

If I was to ask for a bottle in the £35 range what would you advise? I have read a lot about the Nikka from the barrel so thinking of asking for a bottle of this but what else for a beginner is advisable?

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Some advice please - for Xmas I had a "standard" bottle of Glenmorangie, I know its not up to the level of what most veteran whisky drinkers like but I quite like it, its also gave me a taste for a tipple and my birthday is coming up.

If I was to ask for a bottle in the £35 range what would you advise? I have read a lot about the Nikka from the barrel so thinking of asking for a bottle of this but what else for a beginner is advisable?
    I'm not the biggest fan (need to try it again) but its excellent value, and a lot of people seem to like it, the Aberlour A'Bunadh
    http://www.waitrose.com/shop/Display...roductId=36964

Then you have the Glenfiddich 14yr Rich Oak or 15yr Solera Cask which are both excellent in both value and taste

If you are feeling brave, the Caol Ila 12, an excellent entry to Islay malts with Peat and Smoke but quite light
    http://www.waitrose.com/shop/Display...roductId=30360

This going by the 18, this is very laid back for an Islay
    http://www.waitrose.com/shop/Display...oductId=152903

Impossible question to answer. You need to decide what style of malt you like. Try to get hold of the whisky booklet that Waitrose do and look at the flavour wheel. It might also be on their web site.
    If I was going to suggest anything at all I'd say the 10 y.o. Aberlour. The previous poster mentioned the cask strength Aberlour, if you choose these I'd take it with a little water or you will only get the burn of the alcohol.

Master
    If I was buying for me, the Nikka would be a good call (or see my previous post on another). As aldfort says though, you need to define what type of flavours you like.

Opened a bottle of King Car (Kavalan) Conductor tonight. Very impressed! Strong at 46% but well balanced.

Craftsman
    Very good deals on the Glenlivet and Macallan

Grand Master

If you have a waitrose nearby look at Arbelour A'bunadh - cask strength, very dark and highly sherried, and lethally powerful, usually 59-60%. Tastes like a victorian christmas in a bottle! it's currently £36 on offer.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Glenlivet Founders Reserve is £19 inc vat in costco atm

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    If you have a waitrose nearby look at Arbelour A'bunadh - cask strength, very dark and highly sherried, and lethally powerful, usually 59-60%. Tastes like a victorian christmas in a bottle! it's currently £36 on offer.
    That's one hell of a step up from Glenmorangie

And no-where near the £26 I got it for a couple of years back :p

Honestly though, amazing whiskey that one, but make sure it's the last whisky of the night, you won't be able to taste any other tipple afterwards

I had a bottle of Asda Islay Single Malt as a present I didn't think it would be up to much but it is bloody brilliant reminiscent of Bowmore but at only £20 a bottle get some in before it runs out.

Quote Originally Posted by nibby View Post
    I had a bottle of Asda Islay Single Malt as a present I didn't think it would be up to much but it is bloody brilliant reminiscent of Bowmore but at only £20 a bottle get some in before it runs out.
    It probably is Bowmore.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    It probably is Bowmore.
    You are probably right that's most likely reason I like it so much.

A few more on Amazon now. Remember these prices are delivered.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

The Talisker looks a bit special, but check out the today's deals page.
    Last edited by luckywatch; 19th January 2016 at 20:28.

Quote Originally Posted by KNog View Post
    That's one hell of a step up from Glenmorangie

And no-where near the £26 I got it for a couple of years back :p

Honestly though, amazing whiskey that one, but make sure it's the last whisky of the night, you won't be able to taste any other tipple afterwards
    It's cask strength, a little water won't go amiss to open it up a touch. Haven't started my bottle yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    It probably is Bowmore.
    All supermarket own brand single malts are "something else" bought in bulk and bottled by the supermarket. Very often when a distillery closes the remaining, possibly un-aged, stock is snapped up at a good price and then released bit by bit. Lidl are experts at doing this and have been doing it for a few years now, they even invent new names rather than using more generic labelling like Waitrose etc.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    Glenlivet Founders Reserve is £19 inc vat in costco atm
    Going to get a crate!

Very nice, the Talisker Distillers Edition. Certainly the best value Diageo 'Distillers Edition'.

Just cracked into a Duncan Taylor bottling of 14yr old Aberlour. Good stuff, spirited nose, nutty almost minty taste with dried fruit (plum, pear & apple), lovely smooth aftertaste. Clearest colour ever, looks like gin in the glass.

Easy easy stuff...

Got some Whisky vouchers for Christmas, I was planning on getting the Caol Ila Distillers Edition, or possibly the Caol Ila 18 but when in the shop, I tried a bit of this and decided to get a bottle!
    Its nicely balanced, peaty but not overbearing with quite a light finish and despite being 50%, it does not feel that stong.

have some pals coming round Friday night for a whisky tasting ....

have just ordered from Masters of Malt:-

Benriach 16 (won a 2015 award) and everyone who tries it is really impressed
    Dalmore 15 - super smooth
    Laphroaig An Cuan Mòr - for those that like peat

those will supplement current stock of:-

Glenlivet Master Distillers Edition
    Dalwhinnie 15
    Aberlour 18
    Jura
    Glenmorangie La Santa
    Bowmore 18
    Laphroaig 18 (dregs only left !)

....just got a whole week of work to get through until then !

Travelling from Dublin to Geneva this morning and they had these bottles in Duty free... Big big money !!!

Moved to Maltventory Thread
    Last edited by Broussard; 25th February 2016 at 15:47.

Thanks to the duty free shop in Mexico City International Airport, I shall be cracking into this tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Thanks to the duty free shop in Mexico City International Airport, I shall be cracking into this tonight.

Very nice, big fan of the basic Little Laddie

Master
    Mrs bought me a bottle of ardbeg uigeadail for my birthday yesterday will be trying it when I Finnish the ardbeg ten I've got on the go

^Unlikely to be disappointed, excellent choice by your Mrs!

Master
    Id like to give her the credit but I chose she payed

I saw bottles of Johnny Walker Green Label at the airport the other day... I seem to recall reading that it had been discontinued? Sorry if this has already been covered.

Grand Master
    anyone tried the small batch Bowmore yet? i keep looking at it in tescoes....
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Just bought a bottle of glenfiddich rich oak for £25 looking forward to trying it as I really rate the 15 year old solera

I see the Yamazaki Sherry Cask 2016 has English whisky fanatics going nuts. All 198 bottles of it.

Wonder how many there are in Scotland?

Just bought a bottle of glenfiddich rich oak for £25 looking forward to trying it as I really rate the 15 year old solera
    Big fan of both those, a real step above the normal blended and other similar in the price range. Got a bottle of the 15yr Solera open in the cupboard.

- - - Updated - - -

I see the Yamazaki Sherry Cask 2016 has English whisky fanatics going nuts. All 198 bottles of it.

Wonder how many there are in Scotland?
    Is that the 'Whisky of the Year' that they took to the ISS recently?

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsontoast View Post
    Big fan of both those, a real step above the normal blended and other similar in the price range. Got a bottle of the 15yr Solera open in the cupboard.

- - - Updated - - -

The 2013 version was whisky of the year I think.

Master
    I think they will be rebuilding hadrians wall to keep the jap stuff out

Blog Entries
    I did not open my 15yo Solera yet :) but it was rather cheap,some £18 maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsontoast View Post
    Suntory sent a sample into space. Not sure whether it was the 2013 (I'd be surprised if it were). The experiment is similar to the Ardbeg experiment from a couple of years ago: there's been a suggestion that zero gravity effects maturation.

The 2013 Sherry Cask was a sleeper hit before the award, but since then has been nearly impossible to find. There's been a knock-on to Yamazaki more widely, and on Japanese whisky across the board. The 2013, like the 2016, is a no age statement release. There are only 9,000 bottles (there were 18,000 of the 2013).

Interestingly, Taketsuru (the founder), studied in Scotland, and worked at Springbank. I've always liked the latter distillery and in particular their refill sherry expressions. Their latest is a sixteen year old from 1999, made from local barley from Low Machrimoor (IIRC). I know it's from the Southend area, but can't recall where. The 1999 local barley I tried at 14.5yo was incredible and remains my favourite bottle of Springbank.
    Last edited by Broussard; 4th February 2016 at 11:38.

By the way, this thread has claimed another victim: I've been inspired by it to branch out a bit from my habitual Lagavulin, though I haven't strayed all that far in geographical terms. I'm now enjoying a smashing orangey Highland Park, a superbly balanced Talisker 10, a cool, medicinal Caol Ila, and a sensational bonfire-ash Laphroaig. All very different but delicious in their own particular way. As usual, TZ-UK is broadening my horizons (while shrinking my wallet). Cheers!

finished this last night:-

not my usual Speyside smooth type, but have to say its been terrific.

and now to justify £80 on another bottle !

This has put me in the mood for a malt evening. So, off to the cellar.......
    F.T.F.A.

I am 40 next week - what £100ish bottle am i cracking open?

Master
    They had bowmore 18 in my local weatherspoons last year for about the same price as glenmorangie etc

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I am 40 next week - what £100ish bottle am i cracking open?
    You could do a lot worse than this, highly recommended.

Craftsman
    I hope everyone's tried Glenlivet's Nadurra - a cask-strength and non-chill filtered peach of a scotch. They vary greatly in alcohol content, my favourites are around the 43% mark...but this latest one kicks a great punch, while retaining awesome flavour - definitely with 1 ice cube though

Master
    Just bought a bottle of auchentoshan American oak from asda for £20 had a bottle before xmas and it was lovely dram for the price

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    Just bought a bottle of auchentoshan American oak from asda for £20 had a bottle before xmas and it was lovely dram for the price
    Gonna try that one, sound like a great price!

Ok so I'm normally a gin drinker (among other things) and whiskey has never really floated my boat due to the fact that when I've tried some it always seems to be heavily peated and has a burn to it on the way down. I've tried several over the years but generally with the same result. A friend of mine brought me a bottle of Jura superstition for a recent birthday. To be honest I find it bloody awful. It tastes like peat bog water passed through an old sock held over a green wood fire that someone then puffs a B&H into the bottle. Obviously just my opinion as I'm sure some enjoy it. So the question is, is there a palatable light to non peaty whiskey out there that may suit or am I just better off sticking to gin?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Ok so I'm normally a gin drinker (among other things) and whiskey has never really floated my boat due to the fact that when I've tried some it always seems to be heavily peated and has a burn to it on the way down. I've tried several over the years but generally with the same result. A friend of mine brought me a bottle of Jura superstition for a recent birthday. To be honest I find it bloody awful. It tastes like peat bog water passed through an old sock held over a green wood fire that someone then puffs a B&H into the bottle. Obviously just my opinion as I'm sure some enjoy it. So the question is, is there a palatable light to non peaty whiskey out there that may suit or am I just better off sticking to gin?
    Glen Moray, or The Glenlivet 12 yo should suit.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    Subseastu try the auchentoshan American oak I've just bought nothing like Jura although Jura isn't one I like anyway