closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 42 of 83 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,100 of 4123

Thread: Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Picked up Caol Ila Moch over the weekend, very nice drop and surprisingly smooth
    Thats basically Johnny Walker Double Black

Blog Entries
    Drinking a Bulleit Rye as we speak, should go to bed, but a melancholic mood makes me watch Bonanza and drink Rye.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Journeyman
    Well I'm up watching Sonic Boom with my son, with not even a glass of wine or beer, let alone spirits. Good work Sir.

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsontoast View Post
    Thats basically Johnny Walker Double Black
    The only drinkable expression ever produced by JW.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Drinking a Bulleit Rye as we speak, should go to bed, but a melancholic mood makes me watch Bonanza and drink Rye.
    I'd be interested to hear how it compares with the standard Bulleit, which is fairly rye-heavy anyway.

No Age Statements...

Might be one for discussion here but I must say I'm not convinced by the no-age statement trend...

I'm not saying that a good whisky absolutely requires 12 years (or other) maturation but I do know that the warehousing & storage costs are a huge cost component of whisky manufacturing and I'm suspicious that one of the more expensive parts of the process has been dropped. I suspect that a lot of no-age statement spirits are very young; less than 3 years and the distilleries know that this doesn't make for good marketing.

You can see the rise in Gin brands out there and I would say this is largely due to the fact Gin can be brought to the market in no time at all when compared to Whisky.

Any thoughts out there on this ?

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    Might be one for discussion here but I must say I'm not convinced by the no-age statement trend...

I'm not saying that a good whisky absolutely requires 12 years (or other) maturation but I do know that the warehousing & storage costs are a huge cost component of whisky manufacturing and I'm suspicious that one of the more expensive parts of the process has been dropped. I suspect that a lot of no-age statement spirits are very young; less than 3 years and the distilleries know that this doesn't make for good marketing.

You can see the rise in Gin brands out there and I would say this is largely due to the fact Gin can be brought to the market in no time at all when compared to Whisky.

Completely agree with you.

Somehow, gin companies have convinced us that their flavoured industrial cleaning fluid (for that is what it is in 90% of "distilleries") should be priced at similar levels to something that requires much more investment in the product.

For something to be sold as single malt whisky in the UK, it must:

1. Be produced as a spirit from malted barley...
    2. ...in pot stills on a single site.
    3. And matured for a minimum of 3 years in an oak barrel.

Gin, however, for the most part is just juniper + any old rubbish you like, boiled up with medical grade alcohol (Bombay Sapphire literally get this delivered in tankers from Germany), watered to down a minimum 37.5% ABV, then bottled. No requirement to produce your own spirit, no requirement as to how the spirit is flavoured, no requirement for maturation.

I only wish that I got into the gin production business ten years ago. They must be rolling in it.

Just emptied this

Thought I'd buy another, but was a bit shocked at the price!

This was a birthday gift from my wife, who won it in a raffle!

M

Master

They can't legally call it Scotch Whisky if under 3 years old. But there's a lot of stuff probably 3-7 years out there nowadays.

^^^^one of the best imho
    Watch out for it at Waitrose-it gets cheaper this time of year sometimes

Putting aside gin for the time being, I think it's highly unlikely that any NAS bottlings in the UK contain whisky under three years of age. This is based on purely anecdotal evidence, but you'd have thought that one of the newer distilleries would have tried it by now (and, from what I've seen, they haven't).

As stocks have fallen, many distilleries have been *forced* down the NAS route in order to keep up with demand - look at Yamazaki, for instance. It's also not a new thing - Abelour has been doing it for almost two decades. What is new, is the blended NAS bottlings that seemed aimed at a new (or at least *different*) market segment. Equally, some distilleries appear to have walked back some of their NAS expressions and reverted to Age Statements.

Whisky is a complicated and odd thing. With global sales continuing to grow, brands are looking to new ways to entice new drinkers - or to move drinkers into a new premium segment. Without the stocks - and without the ability to tell consumers what's in a blend - some may be caught between a rock and a hard place. Strangely, there's a *massive* focus on wood at the moment, and very little on terroir (let alone barley). The few that do talk about the latter (the Laddie, Waterford, occasionally Springbank) are very much on the fringes of the market. The majority of distilleries won't even tell you from where they get their barley (hint: it's not all from the UK, let alone Scotland).

That some distilleries are beginning to walk back their NAS and relaunch their core 10 / 12yo expressions is also interesting. It's also worth noting that over three-quarters of all whisky sold has no age statement.

If I sound as though I'm sitting on the fence, I probably am. I still find that there is more than enough interesting whisky to buy, and while I may quietly lament the lack of certain Japanese whiskies, and more than a few retired Scottish expressions, I'm still a keen whisky drinker. I'm also a supporter of those brands or distilleries that I trust and admire (as you'll see from my Maltventory).

Life's too short to drink bad whisky. Probably.

I haven't bought a single NAS that I'd buy again. I'm wary that I've got some kind of mental bias against them and that a good blind tasting session may teach me a thing or two however I'm pretty sure that I'm done with them now. I've got it into my head that it is, in effect, the leftovers that have been bottled - that's not a good way to approach a whiskey!

Interesting that you mention the focus on wood. I've always thought that they do that (and have done for ages) as the finish imparts more of a distinctive flavour to the whisky than the initial malt. I'd be interested to try different maltings that have been aged/finished in the same way though to see if there was a discernable difference.

I've mentioned it here before, I think, but on a stag do about ten years ago, we were in Aberfeldy looking for somewhere to dry off after a white water rafting trip down the Tay. We popped into the distillery and joined the tour. The introductory video mentioned the "clear, fresh highland air" at least 3 times, and how it was important that the whisky matured up here in the highlands to get the "clean and fresh" flavour of Aberfeldy.

We were then shown around the distillery by a tour guide. Towards the end, we saw an artic lorry loading up with barrels of whisky. I asked where they were going. "Oh, our main maturation warehouse is in Glasgow." She said. "Yeah, on an industrial estate in Rutherglen."

I happen to know Rutherglen, as a company I worked for had a distribution warehouse there which was forever having IT problems. So when I said to her "oh, just over the river from the sewage treatment plant, then?" she swiftly moved the tour on.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I haven't bought a single NAS that I'd buy again. I'm wary that I've got some kind of mental bias against them and that a good blind tasting session may teach me a thing or two however I'm pretty sure that I'm done with them now. I've got it into my head that it is, in effect, the leftovers that have been bottled - that's not a good way to approach a whiskey!
    Some of the Ardbeg expressions are just beautiful.

I do agree that a lot of distilleries seem to be using the current trend as a way of releasing newer spirit at a cheaper price point. I've not been blown away by any of the Talisker or Bowmore "named" releases, but as I said, Ardbeg have been releasing brilliant limited editions for years now, and Laphroaig have had more hits than misses, imo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Interesting that you mention the focus on wood. I've always thought that they do that (and have done for ages) as the finish imparts more of a distinctive flavour to the whisky than the initial malt. I'd be interested to try different maltings that have been aged/finished in the same way though to see if there was a discernable difference.

I've mentioned it here before, I think, but on a stag do about ten years ago, we were in Aberfeldy looking for somewhere to dry off after a white water rafting trip down the Tay. We popped into the distillery and joined the tour. The introductory video mentioned the "clear, fresh highland air" at least 3 times, and how it was important that the whisky matured up here in the highlands to get the "clean and fresh" flavour of Aberfeldy.

We were then shown around the distillery by a tour guide. Towards the end, we saw an artic lorry loading up with barrels of whisky. I asked where they were going. "Oh, our main maturation warehouse is in Glasgow." She said. "Yeah, on an industrial estate in Rutherglen."

I happen to know Rutherglen, as a company I worked for had a distribution warehouse there which was forever having IT problems. So when I said to her "oh, just over the river from the sewage treatment plant, then?" she swiftly moved the tour on.
    Having done a few tours, most distilleries aren't allowed (because of their insurance T&Cs) to mature all the stock on-site. So no surprise they choose massive industrial estates outside of Glasgow because it makes distribution easier. (Not that I condone the practice!)

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    Having done a few tours, most distilleries aren't allowed (because of their insurance T&Cs) to mature all the stock on-site. So no surprise they choose massive industrial estates outside of Glasgow because it makes distribution easier. (Not that I condone the practice!)
    It certainly explains the nasal tang of Dewars.

Take a look at this lot. No idea what the end result will be, but it sounds interesting:

https://waterforddistillery.ie/

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    That'll be why almost none of the 6m OLA of Caol Ila is matured on the island then (and why it's carted off in large tankers to fill casks on the mainland). Probably.

I do agree that a lot of distilleries seem to be using the current trend as a way of releasing newer spirit at a cheaper price point. I've not been blown away by any of the Talisker or Bowmore "named" releases, but as I said, Ardbeg have been releasing brilliant limited editions for years now, and Laphroaig have had more hits than misses, imo.
    I've tried the Laph "Select", I prefer the regular 10 and QC and I've a couple of friends who feel the same. I might give a different one a go and possibly an Ardbeg as I am quite fond of an islay. TBH most of the NAS I've tried have been bottles such as Singleton Tailfire, Jura Superstition and so on i.e. stuff on supermarket special. Perhaps that's where I'm going wrong!

Master
    Cardhu Gold Reserve in Waitrose at £25 at the moment. No idea what it’s like though.

Blog Entries
    Managed to pick up a nice Speyside - not bad for £17 for 1 litre bottle at Berlin Tegel last week...

z

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Cardhu Gold Reserve in Waitrose at £25 at the moment. No idea what it’s like though.
    Not as good as standard Cardhu!

Craftsman
    Good interesting conversation here so I thought I'd chip in as I work in Scotch production operations (I'm an engineer).

Re maturation at central sites away from the distilleries - it's not an insurance issue, it's operating costs. Almost all the bottling sites are in central Scotland so that's where the whisky ends up. If you cask fill at the distillery then you've got the costs of taking the casks to the distillery, employing a bunch of people to work a couple of days a week filling and handling casks then the extra costs of shipping the spirit in wood down to the bottling sites. Much cheaper to ship the unreduced new make in tankers to big warehousing sites. That also makes it easier to disgorge the spirit required for blends with a permanent workforce at one location rather than sending guys all over the country to pull out casks whenever an order comes in.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I've tried the Laph "Select", I prefer the regular 10 and QC and I've a couple of friends who feel the same. I might give a different one a go and possibly an Ardbeg as I am quite fond of an islay. TBH most of the NAS I've tried have been bottles such as Singleton Tailfire, Jura Superstition and so on i.e. stuff on supermarket special. Perhaps that's where I'm going wrong!
    If you like Laph QC, try their Triple Wood, you won't be disappointed.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Managed to pick up a nice Speyside - not bad for £17 for 1 litre bottle at Berlin Tegel last week...
    I had a bottle of this in Q1 this year and I have to say it is fantastic.

I found it to be absolutely charming,; very easy to sip away whilst reading with some complexity also. Opened up well with one cube of ice.

Would love to hear how you found it.

Craftsman
    I'm through and through a speyside malt kind of guy, but this Laphroaig Quarter Cask is just exceptional drinking when the mood is right...

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    If you like Laph QC, try their Triple Wood, you won't be disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_X View Post
    I'm through and through a speyside malt kind of guy, but this Laphroaig Quarter Cask is just exceptional drinking when the mood is right...
    Well, after stating that I'm done with NAS I've just gone and ordered a bottle each of Lahproaig Triple Wood and Ardbeg Uigeadail, the latter of which has style/character notes on thewhiskyexchange's website that are right up my street. To top it off I've just poured myself a large QC, a little ironic given that it's also NAS...

Slainte

Well, after stating that I'm done with NAS I've just gone and ordered a bottle each of Lahproaig Triple Wood and Ardbeg Uigeadail, the latter of which has style/character notes on thewhiskyexchange's website that are right up my street. To top it off I've just poured myself a large QC, a little ironic given that it's also NAS...

Slainte
    I've got a bottle of Uigeadail on the go at the moment. It's unlike any Ardbeg I've ever had - goes very well with sweet desserts, actually!

Jura is swill. Absolutely everything I've tried from there (and I reckon it's probably most of what they've done - friends know I'm "into" whisky, see it cheap in Tesco and get it as a birthday present for me) is undrinkable rubbish.

Laphroaig Select I'm not a massive fan of, but the quarter cask is excellent, Lore is very nice as is the An Cuan Mor.

Craftsman
    The great thing about NAS malts is that they let the distillers and blenders experiment. Some come out really good, some don’t, but it’s interesting to taste what can be done by tweaking the wood policy and blending different ages.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm a big Laphroaig fan, my favourite being the cask strength, which is now sadly impossible to find, with quarter cask second and the standard 10yr behind that. I've avoided 'select' as i read it was a toned down version to have more wide appeal, so not up my street. Not tried triple wood, must give it a go. Ardbeg and Lagavulin are good too, but usually alot more expensive, though i picked up a bottle of Ardbeg for £37 in Morrisons the other day. Another worth a look is Ian Macleod's 'Smokehead', alegedly a young Arbeg, pretty good when you get it cheap on amazon

I've got a bottle of Uigeadail on the go at the moment. It's unlike any Ardbeg I've ever had - goes very well with sweet desserts, actually!

Jura is swill. Absolutely everything I've tried from there (and I reckon it's probably most of what they've done - friends know I'm "into" whisky, see it cheap in Tesco and get it as a birthday present for me) is undrinkable rubbish.

Laphroaig Select I'm not a massive fan of, but the quarter cask is excellent, Lore is very nice as is the An Cuan Mor.
    I wish it were easier to understand how (why?) we all taste and enjoy these things. I agree re the Ardbeg (it's my fave of the core expressions) and I completely agree re Jura (just can't get on with it at all). But I found the Lore and ACM incredibly disappointing. The Select is fine, if you buy it cheap. All this stuff is so bonkersly subjective. There really must be a better way of doing these things. Perhaps "If you like this, try this...?" or "if you hated that, ignore this...?"

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    I wish it were easier to understand how (why?) we all taste and enjoy these things. I agree re the Ardbeg (it's my fave of the core expressions) and I completely agree re Jura (just can't get on with it at all). But I found the Lore and ACM incredibly disappointing. The Select is fine, if you buy it cheap. All this stuff is so bonkersly subjective. There really must be a better way of doing these things. Perhaps "If you like this, try this...?" or "if you hated that, ignore this...?"
    The Lore I was given a bottle of. Having just seen the price, I think I'd be disappointed if I'd paid for it. Assuming it was a £25-30 bottle, I have to say I enjoyed it. ACM I only had a single of in a bar, but remember it being nice.

Glad we agree on Jura though. It's rare that I don't find a single expression I like from somewhere, but I guess there's no accounting for taste!

There's a huge degree of subjectivity to the subject. I'm of the opinion that the more expressions that someone tries the easier it is for them to define what flavour profiles they like and it's this background knowledge that can be used in moving forward trying other whiskies. Regardless, it's nigh on impossible to tell someone that any particular dram is worse than another as it all comes down to personal taste - some things can be agreed upon, others can't.

This reminds me of a Christmas bar crawl with a few friends 4-5 years ago, one of them had never touched a drop in his life and thought that all whiskey was exactly the same with the only variation being the branding. The bar we were propped up against had a reasonable selection of whiskies so I ordered a Dalmore 12 and a Laphroiag 10 - the greatest difference in profiles that I could see - and asked him to just take a sniff of each. He simply couldn't understand that they were both whiskies! He preferred the Dalmore, perfectly understandable considering he was a newbie, and has drunk the stuff ever since.

Edit to add that this isn't a slight on the Dalmore 12, I personally love the stuff. More to say that what some people love (they think is good) can be in complete contrast to others.
    Last edited by CardShark; 12th December 2017 at 12:52.

If you can get it and it’s priced similarly to cost in Spain, around just 15 euro, Dyc 10 yr old is surprisingly good,http://whiskeyreviewer.com/2012/08/d...hiskey-review/

Master
    Just been through Schipohl airport a couple of times in the last few weeks and it was a good opportunity to kill time, looking at the whisky selections - specifically around this whole NAS argument. Unfortunately I have to agree that I think, as consumers, we're basically been taken for a ride by the industry.

Very little stuff for sale was age statemented - and whenever it was, it was priced accordingly. The rest of the time, it's this stupid fantasy name branding, such as the ridiculous names Highland Park and Dalmore are trotting out. Viking Honour? Viking Pride? Valkyrie? Quintessence? Valour? Dominium? Been watching a bit too much of Game of Thrones have we chaps?

Presumably this stuff sells to certain customers, but to me it just cheapens these brands and puts me right off them. Most disheartening is just the sheer cost of even the absolute blandest 40% NAS 'Distillers Edition' stuff - everything started at a minimum of £35.

I'm still relatively new into whisky but even in the 5 years or so I've gotten into it as a drink, I've seen the market change a fair bit. Maybe I've been listening to too much Ralfy but it's already turning me off massively.

Remember, at duty free, most bottles are 1 litre, instead of the standard 700/750ml bottle, and if you're flying within Europe won't be much cheaper anyway.

Master
    Remember, at duty free, most bottles are 1 litre, instead of the standard 700/750ml bottle, and if you're flying within Europe won't be much cheaper anyway.
    Also a lot of it is 'Travel Retail Exclusive' - I think there's certainly more NAS stuff here, maybe they think the average airport customer is less educated/ thinks they are getting a bargain?

Thought this was a great deal.... Caol Ila 2002 Distillers Edition for £50

https://www.thewhiskyworld.com/whisk...catel-fin-p500

That's a very fair price. The Distillers Editions won a few Golds back in the early teens, if I remember correctly.

Going try this over Christmas!

Just opened one of the three 12yr old Highland Parks I have, for domestic quaffing to keep the chill out, as I finished the Conemara I was drinking. The 18yr old can wait it's turn as I work through the Maltventory . . .

Aberlour 10yr old

Glenmorangie, Portwood Finish
    Talisker 10yr old
    Caol Ila 12yr old + 15yr old already open
    Old Pulteney 12yr old
    Bruichladdich 10yr old
    Bruichladdich 1993
    Glenkinchie 10yr old
    Cardhu 12yr old
    Jura 10yr old x 2
    Highland Park 18yr old
    Highland Park 12yr old
    Connemara single Irish peated

F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post

Going try this over Christmas!

Be off with you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsontoast View Post
    Thought this was a great deal.... Caol Ila 2002 Distillers Edition for £50

https://www.thewhiskyworld.com/whisk...catel-fin-p500
    Have you tried it yet?

How would you compare it to the normal bottling?

Some good stuff there - I'm still updating mine in your original Maltventory post...

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Just opened one of the three 12yr old Highland Parks I have, for domestic quaffing to keep the chill out, as I finished the Conemara I was drinking. The 18yr old can wait it's turn as I work through the Maltventory . . .

Aberlour 10yr old

Glenmorangie, Portwood Finish
    Talisker 10yr old
    Caol Ila 12yr old + 15yr old already open
    Old Pulteney 12yr old
    Bruichladdich 10yr old
    Bruichladdich 1993
    Glenkinchie 10yr old
    Cardhu 12yr old
    Jura 10yr old x 2
    Highland Park 18yr old
    Highland Park 12yr old
    Connemara single Irish peated

Some good stuff there - I'm still updating mine in your original Maltventory post...

That's quite a selection you have there . . .
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    That's quite a selection you have there . . .
    There *may* be too much in the 'ventory. If I had any friends, I'd get through it a lot quicker. But I'm grumpy and like Springbank, which is not an ideal combination.

There *may* be too much in the 'ventory. If I had any friends, I'd get through it a lot quicker. But I'm grumpy and like Springbank, which is not an ideal combination.
    Are we related? 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Are we related? 
    Quite possibly! Takes a special breed to like Campbeltown malts. Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Be off with you!!!!
    I hear English Whiskey is making a revival...I'll let you know how I get on

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I hear English Whiskey is making a revival...I'll let you know how I get on
    Tried it the other day. I thought it was rather good for such a young whisk(e)y. Colour on it is impressive too (if it's natural). A light winter fruitiness to it, with a lovely, sweet, smooth mouthfeel. Very easy to drink. Will be interesting to follow their progress.