closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 39 of 83 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,950 of 4128

Thread: Whiskey

Craftsman
    I've just opened a bottle of Dalwhinnie winter's gold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Snap! First dalwhinnie I've had, quite enjoying it.

I'm no whiskey connoisseur and freely admit that, until now, I've found it best enjoyed mixed with orange squash, or a drop in a cup of tea (lovely). Any typical supermarket brand would do me.

However, having read good things about Jamesons on this forum, and after dropping a few hints, I've been bought a bottle for Xmas and thought I'd best try some neat. Wow, what a lovely drink it is and I may well now have to treat the spirit with a lot more respect. Another interest might just be starting

Cheers everyone and hope you're all having a very merry Xmas.

Hic!

Grand Master
    Been a good day so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Tried the new Ailsa Bay the other day. Quite interesting. Ailsa Bay is new - 2007 - and the whisky itself is an NAS, but could be 7-8 years at a guess. The distillery was built at Girvan (inside the huge William Grants complex there), overlooking the island of Ailsa Craig in the outer Firth of Clyde, and from there over to Arran and the Mull of Kintyre / Campbeltown.

It's peated to 21pppm, which compares to 55pppm for Springbank's Longrow, or 30-35 for Caol Ila, and it's been matured in four kinds of bourbon casks, including some from Hudson. The distillery itself is apparently ultra-modern (like the bottle) and there's a very drinkable character to their first bottling: smoky, peaty phenols, but such sweetness. It reminded me initially of Longrow, but far sweeter. Perhaps akin to something from Kilchoman (the Gorm?), but with less sherry. It's not like a Campbeltown malt at all - there's none of the briny notes. Perhaps closer to Glen Scotia's Double Cask? Interesting stuff, but not cheap at c55GBP per 70cl. It's bottled at a shade under 50% abv and needs a little water IMHO.

Master
    Bottle of Glenmorangie Midwinter Nights Dram arriving with the weekly shop tomorrow - will probably get opened at new year - will post some thoughts later but has anyone tried it? Was on offer at Morrisons and seemed rude not to?

Springbank 10 yo just arrived. Just seen the gin thread as well, so may start with the Bombay sapphire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Got a bottle of glenfarclas 15 yr old through a recent amazon offer at £33 and i must say its a thoroughly good dram.
    So next time its on offer i will be buying a few

Dies anybody know if the 10yr old is anygood ?

Craftsman
    Love a good islay - Laphroaig/Ardbeg/Lagavulin!

Two were Christmas presents and the others going away presents from my previous job. Quite a haul for one week but I'm a little concerned that the first thing people apparently associate me with is whisk(e)y...

Craftsman
    Just having a Mckays blended with honey and lemon, and hot water. Got a really bad cold, I was looking forward to trying out the 28 year old Aldi Glen marnoch tonight, but it would be wasted on me with this cold!
    Maybe early NEXT year when I shake of this cold.
    Best wishes for 2017.

Just bought a bottle of Gordon & MacPhail Imperial 1996 (Imperial is a silent distillery).

I have 2 or 3 bottles stored away for big future occasions; I think I will put this away, cant be much of this about anymore. Has anyone tried it ?

Try a bottle of this and you wont be disappointed. You can tell I liked it. I was up there last year as well. Nice part of the world.

Banned
    Edradour Ballechin

A peat monster.

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    Edradour Ballechin

A peat monster.
    Yup. A strange one. I seem to recall it being around the 50pppm mark. Which is toppy, even for Islay.

Journeyman
    Has anyone tried the new release of Dalmore - the Fortuna Merita collection?

the 3 bottles are called the 'Dominium', 'Luceo' and 'Regalis'.

I have the 15, 18 and Cigar malt at home but all are running low. intrigued by these.

Asda's own brand blend but don't let that put you off...it's very, very drinkable. And half price at the moment! £25 for a 30 year old whisky isn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by AMS87 View Post
    Has anyone tried the new release of Dalmore - the Fortuna Merita collection?

the 3 bottles are called the 'Dominium', 'Luceo' and 'Regalis'.

I have the 15, 18 and Cigar malt at home but all are running low. intrigued by these.
    Have tried a couple and massive disappointment .... the 15 is one of my favourites and I hope Dalmore not going in this direction

I picked up a bottle of this blend for about £20 (master of malt), it is very very good, nice delicate peated flavour, slight smoke and great all arounder.

Highly recommended. My second best ever blend (best was the Bailie Nicol Jarvie but thats gone now)...

Craftsman
    Have read good stuff about the Laphroaig Quarter Cask on here before...but having done about half a bottle over a weekend trip with some friends, I have to say it is simply amazing - beautiful balance of peat and deep rich sweet flavour...it may even edge the Lagavulin 16 and that's saying a lot (see my previous post on this thread)...highly recommended!

Master
    At the end of January I popped in to my local Tescos to buy a bottle of Talisker 10yo for £33. As it happened, they had sold out of that particular beverage. On the alcohol clearance shelves were two bottles of Suntory Hibiki 12yo, at £35, reduced from £50. As Japanese whisky is something I'd always wanted to try, and as it was now only a couple of quid more than the Talisker, I thought I'd treat myself and see what the fuss was about. I now wish I'd bought both bottles. It is by far and away the nicest blended whisky I've ever tasted. By the time I went back in the afternoon the following day for the other bottle, it had gone. Still, I'm enjoying the one I have immensely, and will definitely miss it once it's gone.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post

My second best ever blend (best was the Bailie Nicol Jarvie but thats gone now)...
    I had a bottle of this a while ago (maybe 10 years) and have kept my eye open for it over the last few years but never came across it. Is it no longer made?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TZ-UK mobile app

A great blend, for sure (although I may be blinded by my love of all things Campbeltown).

I picked up a bottle of this blend for about £20 (master of malt), it is very very good, nice delicate peated flavour, slight smoke and great all arounder.

Highly recommended. My second best ever blend (best was the Bailie Nicol Jarvie but thats gone now)...

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Jim View Post
    I had a bottle of this a while ago (maybe 10 years) and have kept my eye open for it over the last few years but never came across it. Is it no longer made?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TZ-UK mobile app
    It's still available. MOM has it for a shade over 20GBP. The Whisky Tasting Rooms has is too (at 22GBP).

40% Glengyle malt with the rest from somewhere else.

Grand Master
    Glenrothes Bourbon Cask was on my lips last night and I have to say what a lovely whiskey for £40 or so
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Feeling a bit low all day today to many miles on my cycle in this great weather, so thought I would treat myself, so looked at the Xmas gifts in the cabinet and there was a bottle of 12 year old Double Cask Matured Aberlour, now I am an Islay man but this is bloody beautiful. I am a happy man. Hic hic.
    Last edited by hilly10; 16th March 2017 at 20:02.

Craftsman

Anything Islay

for me, especially Caol Ila or Lagavulin. There are a good range to choose from & it boils down to personal taste, as with most things in life.

Master
    I've just opened a bottle of glenlivet 15 year French oak perfect for this warmer spring weather

Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    for me, especially Caol Ila or Lagavulin. There are a good range to choose from & it boils down to personal taste, as with most things in life.
    If you like Caol Ila, try Waitrose own brand Islay. They were selling it off at £20 a bottle last week, and I'm pretty sure they are one and the same.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    If you like Caol Ila, try Waitrose own brand Islay. They were selling it off at £20 a bottle last week, and I'm pretty sure they are one and the same.
    I'll have a look thanks.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    I'll have a look thanks.

I will check that out as well

This week, oi 'av bin mostly drinkin' Lagavulin 16.

Lovely smooth peat taste, and when you add a drop or two of water, the smell is delicious. I've probably been too keen actually

Had to give it ago eventually and its endorsed by Golden Balls. Its very light and sweet on its own. Possibly good mixed but not got that far yet. I wouldn't pay full price for it as there is too much competition but at £14.99 delivered next day with Prime its worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I've just opened a bottle of glenlivet 15 year French oak perfect for this warmer spring weather
    The Glenlivet is a much underestimated whisky. But - an extremely good dram.

Not tried the French Oak - but I'm sure it would be a cracker. (Send me some in a bottle?)

Craftsman
    Bought a bottle of Glen Marnoch Islay from Aldi last week for £17.49.

Not up to Laphroaig 10 or Ardbeg standards but very drinkable still.

Master
    Been a while since I've been on the thread but I've had a few crackers!

I'd heartily recommend Glengoyne 18 and Glendronach 21 for anyone looking for a great balance of age, depth and sweetness.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

Not tried the French Oak - but I'm sure it would be a cracker. (Send me some in a bottle?)
    I've just had a bottle arrive today - a bargainous £30 from Amazon, delivered.

Craftsman
    Tried a bottle of Nikka pure malt, beautifully smooth. Bought from Byrne & Co in Clitheroe.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Porky View Post
    Bought a bottle of Glen Marnoch Islay from Aldi last week for £17.49.

Not up to Laphroaig 10 or Ardbeg standards but very drinkable still.

I've yet to try the 28 year old Glen Marnoch malt I bought from Aldi in December.

GlenGrant 10

All, I picked up a bottle of this passing through BHX last week & it is amazing, nutty, floral, very easy drinking but with character. A great all rounder.

I'm blown away by this one, I have been drinking SM Scotch as an enthusiast for +20 years, must have gotten thru almost 100 bottles in that time but this one is very very good...

Web image

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Been a good day so far.

Cant believe I've just seen this, superb Dram 👍🏻
    I cracked open my bottle when my son was born.
    Had a couple of 12 year old Dalmores last night watching James Bond 😀

All, I picked up a bottle of this passing through BHX last week & it is amazing, nutty, floral, very easy drinking but with character. A great all rounder.

I'm blown away by this one, I have been drinking SM Scotch as an enthusiast for +20 years, must have gotten thru almost 100 bottles in that time but this one is very very good...

Web image
    Cant go wrong with a Speyside Dram, will have to try this out 👍🏻

I have been drinking SM Scotch as an enthusiast for +20 years, must have gotten thru almost 100 bottles in that time

You've made me realise that I've been taking a dram for 40 years, I daren't do a countback . . . I was given a bottle of Laphroaig quarter cask for my birthday yesterday, but there's a Highland Park and a Connemara Irish peated single malt already open to be seen off first, amongst many others I posted earlier in the thread.
    F.T.F.A.

Lagavulin

End of thread

Mozza

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    Lagavulin

End of thread
    The thread has miraculously survived 1933 posts and more than six years since it was first mentioned.

Damn, I'll just have to have a Bruichladdich now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    The thread has miraculously survived 1933 posts and more than six years since it was first mentioned.

Good point Mr Curta,

There's so many different flavours and style's of Whisky - perhaps my remark was flippant - Sorry.

As my Grandad once said - 'There's no such thing as a bad whisky, just some are better than others'

Mozza

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Damn, I'll just have to have a Bruichladdich now.

I have 2 in the queue . . .

F.T.F.A.

Opened a bottle of Yamazaki 12 the other evening. Perhaps I wasn't in the right mood, but it just wasn't as good as the last bottle I had. I don't tend to keep old bottles, nor make note of the serial numbers, so it's difficult to tell whether I'm unlucky (is there such a thing as a bad batch of Y12?) or just having a bad day...

It's moments like this that remind me how subjective taste and smell really are. I know hearing is even more subjective, and we really can't trust our eyesight, but it's strange that something so good can sometimes taste so middle-of-the-road. Perhaps my memory is failing.

Grand Master
    Talisker Skye down to £25 in tescoes
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!