closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 82 of 83 FirstFirst ... 327280818283 LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,100 of 4132

Thread: Whiskey

Master

MacAllan price rise

Went into Waitrose today and the highly overrated imo macallan 12 has gone up to £80 I bought some a while ago from Costco for £45 and thought it was only ok for the price nothing more, the talisker 10 is now £50 a bottle as well not quite sure what is happening

Master
    Its ridiculous . I’ve already switched from Lagavulin to laiphroag . Nowadays I’m happy to buy Monkey Shoulder as my tipple even though its a blend .
    Macallan I always found insipid ; single malt for people who don’t like single malt .

Yeah - I'm not a huge fan of Macallan, but have only had a bottle of the normal 12yr old and a bottle of the 1841 which was (as it was meant to be) - a bit 'basic' in style.

Maybe if you imbibe in the more (much) expensive bottlings, it is noteable - but to me the standard offerings are a bit like Glenfiddich - the beneficiary of a hugely-successful marketing campaign.

Master

In Campbeltown for the weekend so decided it would be rude not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post

In Campbeltown for the weekend so decided it would be rude not to.
    It would have been very rude not to! Bought from their shop, I presume? They do a great tour there, as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    It would have been very rude not to! Bought from their shop, I presume? They do a great tour there, as well.
    Yeh
    Got them from the shop.
    I'll do the tour one day.
    Got the last bottle available of the 15yr old so good timing .Pretty dark with the sherry cask.

Master
    There’s a nice wee whisky shop (Cadenheads) in Campbeltown that used to do a ‘living keg’ whisky… basically they just kept topping it up with various single malts as it got down to a certain level. So you would never really get the exact same blend if you went back for another bottle.
    Not sure if they are still doing it… I heard that the authorities weren’t happy about it from a licensing point of view… something to do with them seeing it as being aged on-site in kegs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Yeh
    Got them from the shop.
    I'll do the tour one day.
    Got the last bottle available of the 15yr old so good timing .Pretty dark with the sherry cask.
    The 15 year old is nice our local independent wine shop used to have it for £65 it seems to be impossible to get now

Shackleton is on offer in Waitrose at the moment - £19. I bought a couple for fishing trips away.

This, I think, is my 4th bottle. When it's gone there'll be a 5th.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

This, I think, is my 4th bottle. When it's gone there'll be a 5th.

Tried that at Leeds Whisky Festival. Not a bad drop. Maybe I was overly influenced by the 'Indian' tag and thinking of spices but I am sure I could taste cardamom. Or maybe I was just three sheets to the wind from all the tastings!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Question

Anyone tried the American brand Michters?

Craftsman
    Yes did a tasting evening with the range last year. How come?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Anyone tried the American brand Michters?
    The Rye is really, really nice, Gareth. Very sweet.

I wouldn't personally bother again with the Sor Mash as it doesn't differentiate itself enough from many others on the market.

Blog Entries
    Picked up a litre bottle of this on recent connection through Dubai as Uigeadail is one of my favourites :

Just cracked it open & although it is a bit less aggressive/fiery than other Ardbeg variants I've tried - I'm very much enjoying it.

z

Master
    Enjoying some Glenmo 14 Quinta Ruban. Nice orange and choc from the bourbon and port casks. Dash of water helps open it. Solid midrange single malt that is easy drinking for those who like sweeter fruit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my current favourite, was on offer for £25 at tesco, Islay single malt. :)

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    The Rye is really, really nice, Gareth. Very sweet.

I wouldn't personally bother again with the Sor Mash as it doesn't differentiate itself enough from many others on the market.
    Thanks Jon, will check out the Rye.

Quote Originally Posted by diver527 View Post
    Yes did a tasting evening with the range last year. How come?

Was just a recommendation I had the other day so thought I'd ask the question. Whilst I like Bourbon I have struggled to get into Whisky per se and I guess this American brand, maybe, steers a middle ground between both........or I could just be talking utter tosh of course!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I was given a bottle of Bain's Cape Mountain single grain whisky (South African) at Christmas and it's beautiful.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskie...n-whisky-75cl/

Eddie
    I know this is many years after Eddie's post, but likewise I got given a bottle of Bain's last Christmas (by the mother in law, who happens to be South African and we were in the Cape at the time). Very easy drinking, I don't think I've ever polished a bottle off so quickly - and I only opened it after we had left the M-I-Ls so not related to staying with her ;)

Readily available in the UK.

Must be the best Whisky for £32!! Absolute steal.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    I know this is many years after Eddie's post, but likewise I got given a bottle of Bain's last Christmas (by the mother in law, who happens to be South African and we were in the Cape at the time). Very easy drinking, I don't think I've ever polished a bottle off so quickly - and I only opened it after we had left the M-I-Ls so not related to staying with her ;)

Readily available in the UK.
    Love this stuff too! Shame the aged bottles aren't easily available, would love to try the 18 or 21 year old

Another one bites the dust.

I shan't be replacing this like for like, I'm the biggest fan of Amrut's Fusion though this one is... a bit... meh.

No idea as yet what will replace it, onwards and upwards though.

Another "meh".

Win some, lose some.

Yeah, I would say anything from Fettercairn is likely to be a dud.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    The name alone puts me off - too many fetid whiskies around.

Master
    Just had a sip of Smokehead High Voltage. I love them smokey and peaty and this must be the most smokey whisky I have ever had. Just an explosion in your mouth!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I had a bottle of fettercain fasque and it was crap

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Its ridiculous . I’ve already switched from Lagavulin to laiphroag . Nowadays I’m happy to buy Monkey Shoulder as my tipple even though its a blend .
    Macallan I always found insipid ; single malt for people who don’t like single malt .
    Horses for courses Sir. Amongst the people I've spoken to Laphroaig is the single most disliked drink ever. Often described as disolved dirt. We are generally Speyside aficionados. Glenfiddich, Macallan & Glenmorangie being the tipples of choice and we'd say we're people who like single malt, just different single malt to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bestofthebest View Post
    Horses for courses Sir. Amongst the people I've spoken to Laphroaig is the single most disliked drink ever. Often described as disolved dirt. We are generally Speyside aficionados. Glenfiddich, Macallan & Glenmorangie being the tipples of choice and we'd say we're people who like single malt, just different single malt to you.

Ref Laphroaig - seriously???

I ran a poll on a FB Scotch group 18 months back, I asked everyone to list every Scottish distillery they had in their collection. Islay whiskies dominated by some margin, Ardbeg took no1 with Lagavulin 2nd and I think Laphroaig was 4rh. There were 5.5k contributions to the poll and over 130 distilleries in total.

With regards to my Fettercairn above, I took a chance on it as it was a new-to-me distillery. They were at the recent Whisky Live event in London where I sampled their 16 there, though it was a different batch. I didn't take too well to that one, either.

I tried Laphroaig many years ago - did not like it at all.

It's the only one of the Islay malts I do not like (apart from Bowmore Legend)

Two recently purchased travel retail only bottles.

I’ve worked my way through many a GD18 (24) in the past. The 10 is (obviously) not a patch on it but it holds its own.

I’m still on the fence with the Bunnah. I’ll have to sup some more before deciding.

Journeyman

I ran a poll on a FB Scotch group 18 months back, I asked everyone to list every Scottish distillery they had in their collection. Islay whiskies dominated by some margin, Ardbeg took no1 with Lagavulin 2nd and I think Laphroaig was 4rh. There were 5.5k contributions to the poll and over 130 distilleries in total.

With regards to my Fettercairn above, I took a chance on it as it was a new-to-me distillery. They were at the recent Whisky Live event in London where I sampled their 16 there, though it was a different batch. I didn't take too well to that one, either.
    As I said "Amongst the people I've spoken to Laphroaig is the single most disliked drink ever." I also help out in a bar every now and then. We go through bottles and bottles of the usual smooth stuff, a bottle of Laphroaig might last 6 months.

Sort by popularity. https://www.masterofmalt.com/country...e-malt-whisky/

Quote Originally Posted by Bestofthebest View Post
    As I said "Amongst the people I've spoken to Laphroaig is the single most disliked drink ever." I also help out in a bar every now and then. We go through bottles and bottles of the usual smooth stuff, a bottle of Laphroaig might last 6 months.

Sort by popularity. https://www.masterofmalt.com/country...e-malt-whisky/
    We rarely have whisky in the house but when we do it's Laphroaig,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master

To be fair I've had 3 bottles of laphroaig in my booze cupboard at the one time and hate the stuff.
    People quite often give you it as a gift as it is a recognisable name and often on offer.
    I'm down to one bottle now as I managed to give a couple away.

From the more pedestrian end of the Whiskey marketplace...Lidl offer an 8 year old Speyside single malt, Ben Bracken...14 EURO, hard, maybe impossible to beat at that price, it´s fine if not exceptional...Bought a bottle of the 12 year old Glen Ord Singleton, in our posh supermarket in Cartagena, 28 Euro, definitely smoother than the BB, I do like it a little better than the BB.. though doesn´t quite live up to the heady promise of ´´luscious nectar´´ as described on it´s packaging...but for that money, sub 25 quid, highly drinkable.

Craftsman
    This is from a new distillery in East Kilbride, someone gave me a bottle at Xmas, Was really quite nice, they also do a malt.

https://www.raer.co.uk/product/raer-...scotch-whisky/

Blog Entries
    My current SOTC

something for every occasion

z

That Cotswold whisky is a rather nice dram. I did the distillery tour last year and brought a couple of bottles back with me. Their Gins are rather nice too and they are in the process of are expanding the distillery.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

When I was about 11, I snuck a shot of my dad's bourbon whisky. It was so revolting I have not tasted whiskey during the unsuing 64 years.

^You have really missed out sir!

Craftsman
    My dad hosted us for dinner recently and after the meal the inevitable bottle was brought to the table.

Under much duress (ahem) I was persuaded to have a dram or 3 of this which I had never seen in the wild. Very nice it is too although at 58% I did need a drop or two of water.

Grand Master
    Deanston Kentucky Cask single malt currently only £14.80 on Amazon. Just bought two.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Chin chin, Tee Zeders.

Whisky get together tonight. My contribution

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Another Deanston heads up:
    Popped into Marks and Spencer in Beverley and spotted Deanston Virgin Oak on shelf but not priced. Asked the question and was told it was £15! Bought two. For an unchillfiltered single malt at 46% that’s an absolute steal! Might be worth checking your local branch…
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Grand Master
    opening this tonight.... 49.4% 12 year old sherry monster
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Just opened a bottle of 12 yr old Bunnahabhain. Much to my surprise, this is as peaty as I like things these days. I've this and a Singleton on the go at the moment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Just opened a bottle of 12 yr old Bunnahabhain. Much to my surprise, this is as peaty as I like things these days. I've this and a Singleton on the go at the moment.
    Best Islay malt for me as it is so unpeaty.
    Try a 7 yr old if you can.
    Nectar

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    opening this tonight.... 49.4% 12 year old sherry monster
    I had the 10 year old and really rated it glenfarclas seems a bargain in the current market i have the 21 and 25 bought at a decent price