closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Low ball offers - do you make them?

Master

Low ball offers - do you make them?

Expecting a quieter thread than the other one :D

Me?

:)

Re: Low ball offers - do you make them?

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I occasionally make offers but none that I'd consider to be low ball or insulting to the seller. On the whole though the prices here are more than fair and far better than you'll get elsewhere.

As a side note It's increasingly rare for me to luck out on ebay and the likes these days, so I tend not to bother looking. Plus I'm skint which sort of deters me too.

Cheers,

Gary

Master
    Blog Entries

I have had offers refused, but they have always been what I have considered as what I am prepared/happy to pay. What one seller considers low another may not. I have not bothered making offers before as my perception of the seller based on their price (and a quick historical search of how much they paid for the watch originally) makes me think they are trying to make a tasty profit rather than just move something on and therefore my reasonable (IMO) offer would be rejected as a 'lowballer'

Master

Never used to make offers at all (paid asking price) but this year I have, no low balls though.

Master

No, But I think I might start...... There's bargins to be had in a recession :D :lol:

Banned

The lowest I offered was £2400 for a watch up at £2800, I judge the price by what is selling. If this is low ball then I am guilty. Saying that the best I have been offered is £4500 for a watch up for £6250 :roll:

Mart

I have offered somewhat less than asking but not outrageously so. That's what commerce is about.

On the flip side, I have had ridiculous offers when selling, sometimes nearly 50% of my asking price. I just ignore them.

Cheers,
    Steve

Low ball offers.. I always have a problem with this concept as it seems all too subjective.
    A watch that is being offered at USD2000, am I low balling if I counteroffer USD1500?
    Further, I am mostly interested in vintage watches where condition is king, another subjective issue.
    If the above counteroffer is a low ball, yes, I do make them :albino: .

Chye

Blog Entries

I think this calls for an irregular verb:

"I make reasonable offers."
    "You make low offers."
    "He is a low-balling bas&%ard."

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon

"You make low offers."
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

"You make low offers."
    I don't know if it's because i've just got back from the pub but this has had me giggling to myself for 5 minutes now :lol:

Excellent 8)

"You make low offers."
    "that C%nt screwed me down to £999 for M00nw@tch with no history"

;)

Sometimes.

Sometimes when I felt the asking price was way too high. So I offered what I thought was reasonable, which was considerably less.

Sometimes when I felt the asking price was probably too high, but maybe fair, who knows, it is all subjective. But I just couldn't justify spending more than $x for that watch, or didn't have more than $x available at the time, so I offered $x.

The sellers have politely refused, so I assume they weren't offended, and I certainly wasn't offended.

No harm done.

It's not like I was offering a low ball price for a night of hot steamy passion with their SWMOB, sister, or mother. I understand how that could be construed as insulting. :bigsmurf:

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Depends what you class as low ball?
    I've offered what i think is fair ,but lower than the advertised price...but not stupidly lower. It's a market place and haggling takes place. I've seen a newly listed watch,made an offer,had it rejected (fair enough,seller's perogative)and then seen it sit on the SC concerned for weeks before it was slashed in price below that which i offered. It's just life.

it all depends on the item, as a ball park figure, for a watch in production, i would expect to pay 80% of what i could buy it for new (ie with discounts etc), it's what i think the thrill of being the first owner of getting it brand new from the dealer is worth

sometimes i see watches which have been on sale for ages, every week the owner dropping by £50, i think most people who are interested in it would have seen it in a week, if there are no decent offers you're asking too much, dropping by £50 isn;t going to bring anyone out of the woodwork, i've never made one but i think sometimes people need a low ball offer to see what it's really worth, things are after all only worth what someone else is willing to pay for them. Maybe the low ball will make them think twice, not go as low as the low ball, but put it at a more sensible price and will then get the interest and the sale

Journeyman

As I stated in the other thread, an offer of 10-15%, depending on my desire for the watch or what the watch in similar condition has been seling for, is a fair opening offer. If it is accepted, all is good. Generally, if it isn't quite acceptable, it is considered a serious enough offer that it is usually rejected with a counter-offer.

Obviously, if a watch is seriously over-priced, even 10-15% less is over-paying, so I don't bother unless I see the seller coming down in price. Unless the seller has a realistic conception of market value, all negotiating is a waste of time.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

yes

he who dares rodney, he who dares :lol:

anyway, your offer is either accepted,declined or counter-offered

where is the problem?

cheers
    mike :wink:

ive made lowball offers, i dont see what the problem is. if i want something, i offer what i can afford, if the buyer isnt happy he doesnt have to accept my offer or even reply to me. thats his prerogative. simples.
    alot of sellers will pitch there price high initially to allow for haggling room anyway.
    besides , what is lowball? 50% of asking price? 20%? 10%??
    as a seller i have had a few lowballs myself. whats the problem? any offer is better than a low offer. it depends on how much the seller wants to sell.
    if i go to a dealer to px my car, i always get a lowball offer. in this case 'lowball' just means - less than i would like or think it would be worth. what my car is actually worth is decided by the market. where i can influence its price is affected by how i market it. its simply market economics. all this 'insulted by lowball offers stuff' is a bit petulant imho.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

I think one has to be a bit sensible - if you pitch too low, you'll lose all credibility. There should be a bit of negotiation to make it fun, but the happiest medium (IMO) appears to be where the seller drops <a bit> and the buyer goes up <a bit> (unless they state they won't negotiate in the ad).

No different to buying a house or car, only you can do it more often!

Master

To be honest I'd only haggle for about 10-15% off the asking price.
    If I see a watch that I think is overpriced by a fair bit, I won't even bother with an offer.
    When selling I look at what similar pieces have been selling for and pitch my price somewhere around that.

Quote Originally Posted by phil h
    I have not bothered making offers before as my perception of the seller based on their price (and a quick historical search of how much they paid for the watch originally) makes me think they are trying to make a tasty profit rather than just move something on and therefore my reasonable (IMO) offer would be rejected as a 'lowballer'
    Ditto, someone selling the same watch for £1400 that they bought on the SC for £1200 a couple months earlier makes me not want to bother. Whether an offer is a 'low ball offer' is partly dependent on the seller's attitude.

Apprentice

Reasonable not "Low ball" I would say.

Journeyman

FFS can some one please define low ball, and then please define reasonable
    surley one mans reasonable is another mans low ball :roll:

Grand Master

If its reasonably priced and I want it ill pay, however if I have a niggling doubt ill pursuade myself that ill take it for a price i feel appropriate. I am also concious that a firm cash offer whilst not ideal price can help. In other words the seller might need the cash and if no one else offers then being prepared to turn ticking into cash might be a helping hand.

I also think that if you know you have a decent product at a good price it will sell itself, the majority of people will surf Blowers, retail, and search for previous sales to determine a price but if its in the right bvallpark and its proper its a winner, no need to haggle
    RIAC

Craftsman

I don't believe I do but it's pretty safe to assume the seller has added a little "haggle room" to the price so I'll normally knock off about 10% as an initial offer. I don't deliberately try to lowball however, one man's opening "sensible" offer is another man's lowball!

No offence taken if an offer's refused, just part of the negotiation. Remember, [Python mode on] "Your supposed to haggle" [Python mode off] :D :D

Master

Lowest ball (low ballest, lowest ballest...?) offer I've made was £110 for something offered at £130 and the lowest I've received was £500 for a watch I'd listed at £795, it eventually went for £725!

Another interesting (albeit going slightly off the topic) is , offer you make at AD.

If says, RRP for a watch is around £1500 and AD is offering 1 yr. interest free and free gift worth £80~£100.
    You've decided that you need neither interest free option nor gift and decided pay cash straight.
    What would be a reasonable offer?

Cheers.

Thing is, it all depends on what the watch [or whatever] ACTUALLY cost the seller. For instance, in the unlikely event of me shelling out say £500 for a watch, and after a while decide to flip it, just get my money back, being offered £400 could be considered a lowball.
    On the other hand, If someone picked up a vintage Rolex GMT or a JLC pilots watch [it did have a broken strap :D ]for a couple of quid at the boot sale :wink: worth £1.5k, would an offer of £1k be considered a lowball?
    I'm pretty sure most people price up to allow for a bit of haggling, its all part of our world. :)

As I said, its what it actually cost you in the end, and I'm always open to an offer [Please see my SC posts!] No one forces you to accept lowballs.

..............Some do take the p*ss though :wink:

Master

If I really want the watch I will pay the asking price so I dont miss out on it.
    But as a rule, I will offer around 10% less than the asking price, unless it is priced right in the first place.

As I said in the other thread, how do you have time to make a low ball offer.......

I see it
    I panic
    I type a hasty "I'll take it"
    I watch inbox without blinking for next 10 mins
    I either get it and am filled with euphoria or am beaten by some hair triggered member and spend the rest of the day regretting taking my eyes of the SC

Where can I fit in a lowball offer ?????
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary
    I occasionally make offers but none that I'd consider to be low ball or insulting to the seller. On the whole though the prices here are more than fair and far better than you'll get elsewhere.
    What Gary said
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON
    As I said in the other thread, how do you have time to make a low ball offer.......

I see it
    I panic
    I type a hasty "I'll take it"
    I watch inbox without blinking for next 10 mins
    I either get it and am filled with euphoria or am beaten by some hair triggered member and spend the rest of the day regretting taking my eyes of the SC

Where can I fit in a lowball offer ?????
    :D

I have to admit that I have made what could be suggested as "low ball" offers in the past, but the way that I look at it is you can always increase the offer, but not the other way around! ;) :D

Mark

I once made a low "ball" offer. But it wasn't for a watch (and I was drunk, honestly). And it wasn't accepted either :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

I would make offers on any watch i am interested in.
    Unless of course i really really must have it - then i suppose a quick "i'll take it" pm is the order of the day.

An offer isn't meant to insult anybody - its just a normal part of striking a deal with a seller.
    I dont consider any of my offers as lo-balling but if the seller doesn't find it acceptable then he doesn't have to sell to me and i miss out.

I dont think its realistic not to expect offers on an item for sale. But you run the risk of losing out if someone else jumps in with the asking price.

Lo-balling could be seen as just trying it on, but equally the same could be said of sellers, who pitch a watch at a high price and then lower it at each successive bump until they reach the market value for that particular watch.
    Of course i haven't seen too much of that on here but it does happen and surely "hi-pitching" is just as bad as "lo-balling".

In the end a watch will sell for what someone is prepared to pay for it.

Blog Entries

Never giving it a try is allways a miss :D

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master

Its simple, I offer what I am willing to pay which is based on other watches for sale here and elsewhere and the condition. I dont say I will give you a grand for your sub or anything like that :D

Sometimes I offer the full price and I dont even get a reply :scratch:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir

"You make low offers."
    I don't know if it's because i've just got back from the pub but this has had me giggling to myself for 5 minutes now :lol:

Excellent 8)

+1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Master

More waist high than low ball, I would say :)

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by oily
    FFS can some one please define low ball, and then please define reasonable
    surely one mans reasonable is another mans low ball :roll:
    Well, being as no one can define these for me, I must conclude that there is no such thing as low balling in the real world :wink:

So.......Bid em in the bollox I say :lol: