closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Made my first strap!!!! What da ya think?

Journeyman

Made my first strap!!!! What da ya think?

First attempt.

Don’t really have the faintest idea what I’m doing but seems to have turned out ok (IMHO).
    Could probably get some better thread and tools and finishing products but all in good time.
    Seems like a better way to pass time than tying flies or brewing beer :twisted:

Leather was from vintage military saddle bags.

Thanks to watchscout and other for tips and inspiration!!!!

Journeyman

Re: Made my first strap!!!! What da ya think?

Oh, and here's a link to watchscout's thread
    (much better work)

:bounce:

Master

That's a great effort, well done!

for a first effort i think its absolutely brilliant. how long did it take? how thick is it? i love the colour, thats my favourite colour for a strap. keep 'em coming!
    if i have any 'constructivecriticism' it would be that the keeper looks like it might be in danger of sliding off - this happened to me recently and its a pity.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Journeyman

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    for a first effort i think its absolutely brilliant. how long did it take? how thick is it? i love the colour, thats my favourite colour for a strap. keep 'em coming!
    if i have any 'constructivecriticism' it would be that the keeper looks like it might be in danger of sliding off - this happened to me recently and its a pity.
    Yeah I rushed the keeper and need to get some different buckles (it's an officine panerai one I found at my watchmakers).

Work time is a few hours but that included stitching most of one twice when I stuffed up and made the thread too short. I practiced a line on a scrap bit first.

It's way thick, like 4-5mm - lucky the lugs are long on the PRS-3!! I really want to wear it on my frakenmonster but can get it on!! I tried to thin it a bit for the lugs but one side is still hard to get in (not as hard as that damn prs3 bracelet though). I've go a bit left so I may do another one to make a longer tail.

The glue takes awhile to dry to it's probably best to do that bit the day before at least. IT's really hard to get the awl through straight in the thick leather so the back side is all over the shop.

I actually prefer the colour a bit lighter (like the original pams) but haven't found any leather like that yet. most of them darken when you lube em up anyway

Journeyman

MOAR

Turned out really well, congrats :D
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Banned

EXCELLENT JOB! I admire your skills actually 8) Wish my first effort was like this :mrgreen:

Grand Master

Great result .. although not 100% on it with that watch though ..
    /vince ..

I think it's great!

Beautiful. I especially like the colour - the way it works with the orange hands.

I can only echo coments already, i think it is excellent 8)

Craftsman

Very nice indeed. When are you going to make
    them for sale...... :?: :lol:

Thomas Reid

That looks to be a very tidy strap. I like the colour.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Good first effort - keep us posted on how you get on with the next strap(s) you do :)

Journeyman

Lovely job! Thats some thick Leather! What do your thumbs look like now? :P
    Cheers Jules...

I like the look of that. Very nice work. You are going places with this.

Looks very thick. I have backed down a little from app 5 mm to 4 mm as I find that easier to work + sometimes the thick leather looks overpowering on some watches.

Thanks for the nice words in regards to the link to my straps.

Quote Originally Posted by armatus
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    Yeah I rushed the keeper and need to get some different buckles (it's an officine panerai one I found at my watchmakers).

Work time is a few hours but that included stitching most of one twice when I stuffed up and made the thread too short. I practiced a line on a scrap bit first.

It's way thick, like 4-5mm - lucky the lugs are long on the PRS-3!! I really want to wear it on my frakenmonster but can get it on!! I tried to thin it a bit for the lugs but one side is still hard to get in (not as hard as that damn prs3 bracelet though). I've go a bit left so I may do another one to make a longer tail.
    About the keeper: As I have gone from liking fixed keepers to floating keepers, I disliked the floating keepers when they went all over the strap when wearing it. So I devised the following method, when making the keepers: I have made dedicated straps (sections of straps) in various widths, that I use for making keepers only.

Just after stitching and applying leather colour to the keepers (which I make with a VERY tight fit, so I am just able to slide them on the strap), I put the keepers on the dedicated straps/sections of straps while still wet. They then conform to the strap whils drying. This makes for a very nice tight fit + plus with a little shaping of the keepers while still wet, I can make them "angular" instead of round (-ish), if you understand. One can achieve a very square look of the nkeeper, if desired. Or just let it dry in place without shaping. The result is the same: A very nice tight fit thus a keeper that stays in place where you want it.

Insufficient thread length: Been there done that! Ones surroundings really learns some new words, when one comes to the end of the stitching job and discovers that the thread is too short for the strap. Measure twice and all that ..... I have learned my lesson in that regard.

About fitting it to the lugs of your PRS3: Is there a problem with the width or the thickness of the leather? If a problem with the width, I just thin it a little with a blade.

Some watches need a thin strap neat the lugs. For the PRS20 I work the strap on the inside with a Dremel tool. I only do this in a very narrow track, where the strap folds near the lugs. This way you can fit a thick leather strap to most watches. Cosmetically no one will notice that the strap is slightly thinner at that point.

For buckles, check out Heroic18 and strap Culture.

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

Tattifilarious !!!! , Good Job , I like it.

Journeyman

Appreciate all the compliments! Thank you all.

@Diaboliq - Thanks! It doesn't look like your first go was that bad at all.

@WatchScout - Thanks for the advise, I'll take it on board for the next project and have some left to make some more keepers.

Turns out the leather is from a 1940's latigo tie from the US 1st Calvary Div. so I'm glad I didn't mess it up.
    (If I had know that I might have had a bit more practice)

I was still short of thread on both sides after making extra, extra sure it was really long but I just started a new piece down form the other end and overlapped them. I guess I could re-stitch at some point anyway.

Any advise on thread? The stuff I got from a leather shop isn't what I want. I was thinking about the inner strands from nylon parachute chord. Need something the doesn't fray.

It's the thickness in the lugs (not width) that's a bit high even though I had beveled/thinned out the leather inside the end before i glued (I was worried about making it too thin). I might thin it out some more - do you treat the inside of the strap where the sringbars go with anything?

I guess the other approach would be to use a seperate, thinner backing material - anyone got tips on that approach?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by armatus
    It's the thickness in the lugs (not width) that's a bit high even though I had beveled/thinned out the leather inside the end before i glued (I was worried about making it too thin). I might thin it out some more - do you treat the inside of the strap where the sringbars go with anything?
    I guess the other approach would be to use a seperate, thinner backing material - anyone got tips on that approach?
    Actually - no. I just impregnate it so it could retain its flexibility. If it's too dry, it will break. (that's for ammo leather)
    You can however use something inside (cloth or synthetic cloth) to maintain lug piece flexibility while wearing watch.
    Other than that I use genuine Jaguar Interiors leather fresh from the factory so it can last for decades. 8)

I will post a strap I made for my dad; still after 6 months of everyday wear and tear it looks great -- I know what he does to his watches and his straps especially and so I made one that could outlast even the watch itself.

Master

Impressed with the result and the fact that you did more than toy with the idea which I'm sure many of us have done. well done!

Apprentice

Nice strap! Not just because is first!

Could probably get some better thread and tools and finishing products but all in good time.
    I am also interested to make my own straps, but unfortunatelly I don't find materials (especially deployant clasps and buckles, cotton, etc)
    I know, google, ebay, but for 4-5 diferent straps is n ot a solution!
    May be after I made some...

Master

very good would never have thought it was a first attempt 8) if i was wanting that sort of strap i'd be pestering you for to make me one :)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Karl
    very good would [b]never have thought it was a first attempt[/b] 8) if i was wanting that sort of strap i'd be pestering you for to make me one :)

Ditto! 8)

Craftsman

What a lovely strap. well done mate.

Wow - that's an impressive first job! Well done! :D

Very, very nice strap. Good work.

apeks

good job / choice of colour - very vintage look.

Journeyman

Well done! Do you sell them?

Master

Doesn't look like a first attempt, looks great.

Journeyman

Thanks all for the kind words!