closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which Broadband Provider? Your thoughts please

Master

Which Broadband Provider? Your thoughts please

Hi

Did a search but could only find results relating to mobile broadband.

I've decided what with COD 4 I'd like to get back online with Xbox live.

I really do not know who to go with and I'm trying not to enter into a contract that's not suitable for me.

I'd like unlimited downloads, broadband only (although looking at Virgin I will need a phoneline). I did speak to Virgin and spoke to a very motivated young lady who was throwing in all sorts of incentives - free router, first two months for £11, free instalation and a 28 day get out for £31 a month

Any thoughts on what's the best package out there will be great.

PS I have looked around myself but I must be getting old as some of these deals baffle me.

Re: Which Broadband Provider? Your thoughts please

If you've got access to cable, Virgin is simply the best deal out there.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    If you've got access to cable, Virgin is simply the best deal out there.

Eddie
    Sadly I don't, did a post code search and it's not in my area :(

Master

£31 seems quite a bit just for broadband, although I hear that Virgin is extremely fast if you have cable, which it seems you don't. I'm on Tiscali (package) which I'm very happy with - quick and free installation, never had any loss of service, seems quick enough.

Try http://www.top10-broadband.co.uk/

There's a feature on that site which allows you to check BB speeds of other homes locally to see which provider are offering the best actual download speeds.

Chris.

Thomas Reid

I've been using Zen for about 8 years now. It isn't cheap, and it doesn't allow unlimited download, however. This is okay for me, as I have a limit of 25GB per month, and I've never used more than about 6. One advantage is that, as far as I can remember, it has never been down or unavailable.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Blog Entries

I have been with BT for 6 years and use COD5 alot and it has never let me down ever. I think I pay £24 for top package with unlimited download. There is cheaper but I have never has a problem and works like a charm.

Another vote for BT, they are pricey but I have never had an issue with them :D

Master

I use sky and have done for the last 2-3 years, no probs and a great deal :)

I have thought about switching to Sky, but where I live is quite remote, and if there was ever an issue they just blame eacother and nothing gets fixed so I would rather pay the extra for piece of mind :wink:

Apprentice

I've used Sky broadband for the last 2 years and it's been excellent all round, especially for the cost. Had to sort broadband out for my in-laws last year and got them Plusnet, who have also been spot on.

Craftsman

I switched from Sky to O2 earlier this year and would happily recommend them. My connection speed increased by c.10%, the service has been stable and customer service has been exceptional (the diametric opposite of Sky!). On top of that it only costs me £7.50 p/m as an existing O2 customer.

David

Master

Quote Originally Posted by DMR
    I switched from Sky to O2 earlier this year and would happily recommend them. My connection speed increased by c.10%, the service has been stable and customer service has been exceptional (the diametric opposite of Sky!). On top of that it only costs me £7.50 p/m as an existing O2 customer.

David
    Thanks for the replies.

What package did you go with O2? I take thats the standard one? Im thinking on 02 at the moment.

Master

Might be worth looking into Bethere as well ( owned by O2 ). If you're in their catchment area you can get up to 24mg down. I've been very pleased with them so far ( over a year now ) - no contract, reliable so far and the customer services isn't actually too bad - in comparsion to Orange, Tiscali and some of the other dire providers I've used before. Not the cheapest though.

Neil

EDIT I've just noticed you can't get the no contract option any more, you have to pay extra to get it in three-month chunks.

Ive been on eclipse.co.uk, rec. to me by an MS engineer as a secure provider, after a corruption and rebuild from something let through from crappy aol.
    Eclipse is about £14.00 pcm, but a puny 2gb pcm limit.

Ive been thinking about 'talk talk', anyone use this? Thier site says £11.95 for line rental and £6.99 for 25 gb pcm, which sounds quite good...... any experiences?

Virgin are great, they also offer some great retention deals. Pretty hard to beat if you can get them.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    I've been using Zen for about 8 years now. It isn't cheap, and it doesn't allow unlimited download, however. This is okay for me, as I have a limit of 25GB per month, and I've never used more than about 6. One advantage is that, as far as I can remember, it has never been down or unavailable.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Zen are a very well thought of ISP, I am wilth Nildram and there was a time when Zen and Nildram were on a par, but i am affraid Nildram is just another also ran

Master

Big up for http://www.fast.co.uk :thumbright:

I have tried a couple of others and imo fast offer excellent customer support and overall service.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger
    £31 seems quite a bit just for broadband, although I hear that Virgin is extremely fast if you have cable, which it seems you don't. I'm on Tiscali (package) which I'm very happy with - quick and free installation, never had any loss of service, seems quick enough.
    I'm with Virgin. I'm pleased Eddie likes them, but i'm off at the end of my contract. Unless I drop my bb speed. I have 20mb, which is £37 on its own without the TV. Now I use my iphone for most things i may stay with Virgin n drop speed. Just been rritating few times it's gone down.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

BT

100% quality service.

Been with Virgin for years with nary a problem.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

PLUSNET - used for about 5 years and only one outage (for about 12 hours) - otherwise super reliable.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

It took me 9, yes 9 phone calls, just to get BT (bloody terrible) just to change address and take broadband with me. each time I rang I got 'ooh didnt the last bt operator tell you to ask for this? or do that?'' dreadful bunch of morons.
    This is why I did'nt get broadband with them.

Been with Talktalk for 4 years, lots of problems initially but been fine for the last 3 years. Left BT after countless problems,worst of which I ended up with somebody else's phone number for a fortnight !!! Seems good value at the moment

Virgin XL!

Another Sky to O2 convert. My experiences are as above - O2 is faster, and infinitely better customer service.

A big NO for AOL. Nothing but problems in the last year. Cancelling when my contract came to an end proved to be just as frustrating. Remember,

Check this site used to be adsl.org. They have a good overview of providers and an area where you can compare them. Have been with Nildram for several years.
    http://www.thinkbroadband.com/

Cheers
    Rob.

Master

I've been with BT for years and would recommend them for a reliable service. However, it's not cheap and I found out recently that my line only supports about a max of 2-3mb (distance from the exchange I guess) yet they happily charge me for their max service without raising the fact that I can't use it - that is NOT good customer service, however you look at it.

As a result, and 'cos I fancy some TV too, I'll either be moving to Sky (cheaper but similar speed) or to Virgin (more expensive but faster) in the new year.

Cheers,

Guy :)