closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: leaving a chrono running

Craftsman

leaving a chrono running

Hi all..

Two people have told me not to leave a chronograph second hand and timing function running because it knackers the movement. Just wondering if this is true or can i start actually leaving thm firing all the time :)

many thanks

ug

Master

Re: leaving a chrono running

Hi ug,

if you do a search I think you will find a few posts on this have a look at them, it is also something that I thought about but from what I remember leaving them running does wear the movement more so I don't leave mine running anymore.

Andy

This has been covered a few times Ug and seldom is there a difinitive answer (more to do with the watch/ movement in discussion)
    Have a search as they tend to be quite informative.

Master

There was a thread on this a couple of weeks ago http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96050

Grand Master

I keep hearing this about wear on the movement, but surely the chrono module being used would only add wear to that module, the movement will be in use anyway through the normal running of the watch anyway. I dare say it will put additional pressure on certain parts, but i'd hope most manufacturers factor this in when building a movement?

If the movement is handwound eg. a Speedmaster, then you would lose your 40hr power reserve .
    C.

Every time this question pops up, I can't help but wonder why anybody would want their chronographs running all the time. They're supposed to measure specific stretches of time, so having them run continuously kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? :?

Cheers

Stern

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    Every time this question pops up, I can't help but wonder why anybody would want their chronographs running all the time. They're supposed to measure specific stretches of time, so having them run continuously kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it? :?

Cheers

Stern

it looks cool :albino: :bounce:

Recently read about this somewhere sometime ago .
    This is a practice that is not recomended because the mechanism is designed for use for timeing whatever you wish to time and therefore may cause more where that you would normally get to the parts used between the recomended service times as suggested by the watch manufacturer.
    Hope this makes sence

Grand Master

Depends on the movement. An old Seiko vertical-clutch chrono should be run all the time, IIRC, and was designed to be run constantly when not in use, IYSWIM. Whether this applies to other vertical-clutch chronos, I dunno.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

Andrew you have thrown me now! i have 3 old seiko chronos 2 6138s and a 6139 are you saying these chronos should be running constantly?

Andy

Master

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage
    Andrew you have thrown me now! i have 3 old seiko chronos 2 6138s and a 6139 are you saying these chronos should be running constantly?

Andy
    Aye, Whilst there will be some additional mechanical wear, the clutch is the weakest part of the mechanism, so you should leave them running to save the clutch.

My brother liked to see the chrono hands running on his Tudor Oyster Prince. When I took the watch to a local repairer he said the chrono wheels were totally worn and beyond repair ... and he showed me the amount of play visible ie showed me the wheels wobbling. Subsequently I sent the watch to another repairer, Time Services, and the wear was remedied - maybe new jewels were fitted. The repairer had a photo essay on his website of this type of repair in progress. As the Tudor Prince chrono uses a 7750 base caliber, it seems leaving this movement's chrono hands running is not to be recommended.

The actual repairer still has some strip down photo essays on his website http://www.timeservices.co.uk/repairs/repair.html ...

Cheers

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by catflem
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage

Andy
    Aye, Whilst there will be some additional mechanical wear, the clutch is the weakest part of the mechanism, so you should leave them running to save the clutch.

Yes, I have been told that I must leave my Seiko chronos running so as not to wear out the mechanism, this is from a very experienced Seiko technician.

regards

Can someone please tell me what is the point of leaving chrono wheels running constantly? Leaving them running constantly does not achieve anything apart from making the statement, 'Hey! look at my smart chronograph - and see the little hands going round!' If you really wish to measure the elapsed time, the watch will then require zeroing before you can do that. Maybe some would say they like to see the flyback working - especially if they want to treat their chronograph like an amusing toy.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master

I never leave the chrono function running on any watch and have had no problems , could be because I have mild OCD tendancies and like to see all the hands lined up. :lol:

To me though it's like leaving the taps running in your house when not using the water. :?