closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Chainsaw recommendations

Chainsaw recommendations

Hi

Can't saw logs by hand anymore, my shoulder has given up. So I need to get a chainsaw for cutting up logs for firewood, domestic requirements only. Probably needs to be electric as starting a petrol motor can be a problem for the shoulder, also have to consider the noise level.

Any recommendations?

TIA

Re: Chainsaw recommendations

Chainsaws can be lethal if used incorrectly. You might consider having some profesional tuition not only for using but also for maintaining properly - especially as regards protective clothing. Beware of chainsaw 'kickback' http://forestry.about.com/od/chainsaws/f/cs_kick.htm

I did consider getting a chainsaw but settled for an axe and a splitting wedge. Latter can be used with a heavy hammer 'one handed' - but is only useful for splitting along the grain.

Good luck

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

TBH the electric one's are pretty poor when compared to the petrol versions IME.

There is a bit of ongoing maintenance required in sharpening, tensioning and topping up of lubrication oil etc.

Stihl are probably the best on the market but there are others that are more reasonable on price.

If it's only cutting the smaller stuff then a small bar (15") would be ok.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I bought a Bosch electric one a couple of months ago and, having used petrol-driven saws in the past, wasn't expecting too much from it. Wrong! It was very good indeed and cut through trunks almost a foot thick.

Search B&Q website for Bosch SDS35 Electric Chainsaw AKE 35 SDS 1800W £85.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master

For cutting up logs to make firewood an electrical one is good enough, and you'll probably be doing that near your house anyway so there is electricity. Even electrical ones are still noisy, though less so compared to petrol-powered ones. I use a really cheap one to cut up firewood and it does that pretty well; but the better brands are likely more balanced - the electrical motor sitting to the side pulls the thing off balance which gets tiresome for, yes, your shoulders. So it needs to be compact. And due to that motor sitting sideways, many electrical models do not have a grip that loops around to facilitate horizontal use (for cutting down small trees and such). Petrol models often have such grips. OTOH, a petrol one needs to be perfectly designed and regulated to stop quickly once you let go of the trigger (small portable power mowers have the same problem). Electrical ones just stop, period.
    Professionals generally use Stihl or Husqvarna. Getting parts for those should be easy.

id never go for an electric one myself.
    Stihl are the best, Husqvarna are worth a look.
    Id really recomend anyone using a chainsaw to do a short course. most people only have four limbs and they want to keep it that way.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I use a 2 stroke Stihl with a 15'' bar. New a couple of years ago, for cutting logs for the fire. Works fine. Replaced the chain recently, as I couldn't be bothered with sharpening it - £14, which I didn't consider too bad.

Get proper protective gear - helmet, ear protection and gloves. Secure what ever it is you want to cut. Be careful, it will easily cut straight through you...

I'll take my H & S hat off now.

Cheers

Peter

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by sundial
    Chainsaws can be lethal if used incorrectly. You might consider having some profesional tuition not only for using but also for maintaining properly - especially as regards protective clothing. Beware of chainsaw 'kickback' http://forestry.about.com/od/chainsaws/f/cs_kick.htm

I did consider getting a chainsaw but settled for an axe and a splitting wedge. Latter can be used with a heavy hammer 'one handed' - but is only useful for splitting along the grain.

Good luck

dunk
    Axes also can be lethal if used correctly. On my father's side of things, folks called them "tomahawks". ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier

Good luck

dunk
    Axes also can be lethal if used correctly. On my father's side of things, folks called them "tomahawks". ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Should have added I used steel toe cap boots. I have been taught how to use axes properly - splitting axe and felling axe.

Cheers

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

anyone involved in log splitting - get a log splitting grenade. they are basically a special shaped wedge. you can get them from screwfix. absolutely bloody marvellous.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jools
    Any recommendations?
    This model always worked well for me:

Good luck

dunk
    Some years ago, I attended a course run by Husqvarna and it was great - well worth it. You learn use of; safety and maintenace.

maintenance is crucial

Master

Not sure what make it is but this guy swears by it.

Banned

stihl . 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim71
    Not sure what make it is but this guy swears by it.

Whilst reading this thread I was wondering how long it would take before the jokes would start....

It took longer than expected :lol:

Blog Entries

Would never ever consider a chainsaw with a live cable in the vicinity !
    Stihl or McCulloch are top products, and don't forget the protective gear !
    There are some nasty kickbacks if used incorrectly - take some tuition first
    Cheers, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren
    Would never ever consider a chainsaw with a live cable in the vicinity !
    Stihl or McCulloch are top products, and don't forget the protective gear !
    There are some nasty kickbacks if used incorrectly - take some tuition first
    Cheers, Peter

Live cable: RCD's are your friend. :wink:

On the elctric saw I recommended the is a kick back brake which stops the chain in milliseconds - a lot safer than the petrol ones I've used in the past.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Thanks for all the tips and advice folks. I will get myself on some kind of training course and also buy the necessary protective gear.

An electric saw is still favourite, I see Husqvarna do one with an "inline" motor that apparently improves the balance, I hadn't appreciated the significance of this feature until reading Fschwep's response. Having said that I'll try a few petrol saws anyway and if they're relatively easy to start I might be persuaded to get one and worry about the noise later :)

Thanks again everyone!

I live out in the sticks and regularly cut wood,
    However over time I have seen some serious missing digits, wrapped hands, legs etc, (thankfully not mine), all usually caused by 'kick back' from chain saws, however most of these injuries would have been nullified by the correct use of safety wear-i.e. chainmail, re-enforced gloves, helmets/goggles etc.

Unless you are taking down large trees. I recommend the use of electric reciprocating saws, they will cut through most logs and combined with the aforementioned log splitters by other posters, offer a more safer tool to use, however, the same care must be taken, remember, when either of these tools meet flesh, they don't just cut like a straight edged blade, they remove chunks of flesh, sinew and even bone-leaving huge wounds and massive scars! :shock:

Oh and use an RCD-they work!

Andy

Blog Entries

See recommendations for electric tools here, must be something ingrained in me from old.... but guess with the improved sensitive RCD's (not RCB's ?) life has become safer..
    Never really enjoyed when was using mine - glad it & the propery where it was required, has gone to new owners :wink:
    Cheers, Peter

Journeyman

Stihl is definitely the way to go. In terms of protection, definitely the more the better. Surpised no one has mentioned getting yourself a set of protective trousers that cost about £80, not cheap, but cheap compared to losing a leg. loads of options around but make sure they are the ones that will resist a chainsaw!! I never use mine without them.

Master

I saw the title to the tread and thought: perhaps a bad day at the office...

I've seen the results of a kickback of a chainsaw and it wasn't pretty. Take care and some good headgear is essential, good also not to force it if you hit a burl or suchlike.

Take care and best wishes,

AP.

There is an HSE guide, that starts with fitness. Might be worth considereing the strength of your weak shoulder esecially if it is the left one.