closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What's too small these days

Craftsman

What's too small these days

There's lots of talk about what is too big for a watch size these days, but what is too small?
    I tried a rolex explorer on not so long ago and was surprised it seemed so tiny on my 7" wrist.

Grand Master

Re: What's too small these days

Nothing, it all depends on what YOU like, be that vintage 34mm or modern 46+mm. Big watches have been around for decades, as have small watches. Just wear/buy what you like ..
    /vince ..

What Vince said. Don't be swayed by the big is better brigade, imho it comes down to dial size and legibility.

Cheers,

Gary

Blog Entries

Agreed with Vince.
    Can't give you an answer on that one.
    If you are worried if other people think your watch is to small........well, don't, buy what YOU like :) .

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    Nothing, it all depends on what YOU like, be that vintage 34mm or modern 46+mm. Big watches have been around for decades, as have small watches. Just wear/buy what you like ..
    +1 8)
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman

I had a Rolex Cellini once which was I think about 32-33mm. Just about worked but could'nt go any lower.

Master

I regularly wear vintage Art Deco tanks at 22mm wide.

Regards

Tim

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 146edward
    There's lots of talk about what is too big for a watch size these days, but what is too small?
    I tried a rolex explorer on not so long ago and was surprised it seemed so tiny on my 7" wrist.
    The official Government Style Guide issued by the People's Policy Unit stipulates a minimum of 42mm for men, and 28mm for women, unless the woman is in the public eye, in which case the minimum for men applies. A quango has been set up - the 13,000th, I read - to determine whether a sliding scale based on wrist and arm size and/or shape can be adopted. The inquiry, led by John Hutton. is expected to take nine months.

Sorry, what were you expecting to hear :D
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I can't come to terms with a big big watch, with a tiny movement inside. Had a 48mm chrono once, opened the back, had a 26mm movement and a huuuuge spacer ring. Put me off it, went on sc after that...

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by 146edward
    The official Government Style Guide issued by the People's Policy Unit stipulates a minimum of 42mm for men, and 28mm for women, unless the woman is in the public eye, in which case the minimum for men applies. A quango has been set up - the 13,000th, I read - to determine whether a sliding scale based on wrist and arm size and/or shape can be adopted. The inquiry, led by John Hutton. is expected to take nine months.

Sorry, what were you expecting to hear :D
    ...you jest... but it's probably only a matter of time (since pretty much EVERYTHING else is regulated)... but funny!!

Thing is, perspectives change over time - for an individual as much as for fashion trends. When I bought my Seamaster Professional in 2001 (I think), it was my first real foray into more expensive watches (a couple of Oris's were my only previous purchases) and at the time, I felt the full size looked way too big for my wrists, so I went for the mid-size (at 36mm). However, I now regret this, having bought some larger watches - including a Panerai and I think this is way too small and just looks/feels wrong on my wrist. As such I never wear it... in fact, it just sits idly in the safe.

I think the old rule of trying stuff on and seeing how it 'wears' is best, although I would start at say 44mm but you need to wear something of this size for awhile to see whether it feels comfortable - just trying it on in a shop isn't good enough... (the 43" plamsa looked huge when I first put it on the wall... now it looks quite small... relatively speaking).

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

6 inches
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey
    6 inches
    Yeah, she mentioned that to me too. But I said you would be a nice guy and so...
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

its your choice.

thats it.

cheers
    mike :wink:

My choice for me - 38mm is the smallest I care for 40-42mm my optimum.

But I do love the Blancpain 50 Fathoms and other big pieces.

When your mates ask if you're wearing your better half's watch then it's too small.

The only small watch I own or wear is my G10, everything else is fairly chunky.

Depends on the shape, personal taste and even the dial size. I have some small(ish) watches that wear a lot larger due to having big dials. Square watches also seem to wear larger and tank/oval cases are always odd.

Having said that I find that while 40mm is a good fit for my wrist I can go as low as 32mm for a round watch and 28mm for a square one. But your taste may vary.

Cheers,

BB

I have 6.5" wrists but I don't think I would feel a watch much less than 40mm would not sit right on my wrist

My Universal Geneve Golden Shadow is my favourite wacth.
    Proper small at 38mm or so.
    Gold though.
    J.

I also have a 7" wrist and my opinion is that 34mm when it is a round watch is the smallest that fits me. But I do prefer a little bigger somewhere around 38 mm is the best according to me.

best regards
    Anders

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey
    6 inches
    I'll get me coat then.................. :D

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    +1 8)
    This is very much down to the wearer and the watch, I tend to have watches in the 40mm - 44mm range. But saying that, I like the Submariner style of watch and bought a Steinhart Ocean at 42mm, while this was a great watch, I always felt it was a bit on the heavy. I sold the Steinhart and got a Marcello C 40mm, this had a much better feel to it on my wrist.

So I guess my point is, it's not really the size, but how well it fits and feels on your wrist.

Master

My wrist is only 6.5inches, I have watches ranging from 31mm to 41mm, as long as the lug to lug size is no greater than 50mm I can wear it, its the lug to lug size that determins what I wear not the width.

Craftsman

I find that after wearing larger watches 44mm plus, and then putting on a 38mm Breitling heritage B seems somewhat strange. Anyway each to their own i say!! :lol:

Smiths 33mm works and seems practical under cuffs etc. Hopefully, the possible Smiths from Eddie will not exceed 38mm. Any larger and it will start to look like any other military style watch on the market.

Craftsman

Master

Ideally I'd buy/wear 38-42mm watches, but would consider anything from 36mm-44mm. But then I have fat wrists 8.5 inches+

Blog Entries

I've had 46mm watches that sit like a two foot dustbin lid, and 41mm watches that sit like a 44!!

Each to their own, so long as it suits you and you're happy with it.

Five to ten years ago I was happily wearing mid-size Omega Seamasters as the full size version looked too big on my 7.5" wrist. Now I think the mid-size is right for my wife and full size SMP/PO at 41/42mm looks right for me. I guess fashions have shifted a bit. Having said all that my watches range from 36mm (PRS10) to 48mm (Seiko Darth Tuna) and all look just fine on the appropriate strap or bracelet.

Wrist shape also plays a part?

Quote Originally Posted by Revolvingjones
    My wrist is only 6.5inches, I have watches ranging from 31mm to 41mm, as long as the lug to lug size is no greater than 50mm I can wear it, its the lug to lug size that determins what I wear not the width.
    Absolutely right. Lug to lug makes all the difference. I've small wrists but a Sinn U1 works for me because even at 44mm diameter, lug to lug is 50mm. I've tried smaller watches with longer lug to lug and they just don't work at all.

regards,
    Nick

Craftsman

42mm is about as small as I would go