closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unnecessary inane talk on sales corner.

Unnecessary inane talk on sales corner.

Is it just me or do any other members of TZ-UK find it unnecessary that when folk are trying to sell a watch they sometimes get an endless flow of inane posts from other members who are obviously in no way interested in buying the watch.
    Surely the sales corner would operate in a more professional and clearer manner if people only responded to a posting if they were interested in buying the watch and were asking a sensible question about it.

When I read the classified ads in the Sunday Times motoring section I would not think to contact the vendor of a car that I had no intention of buying in order to make a pointless comment- ????????????
    I have just viewed an ad on sales corner for a Rolex which had numerous replies, all of which were inane.

I think it would be a step forward for the mods of TZ-UK to insist that from now on only questions directly linked to the sale of the watch by interested parties should be allowed. If folk want to write dribble they could do so on watch talk- not sales corner.

farmkid.

Re: Unnecessary inane talk on sales corner.

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid
    I think it would be a step forward for the mod of TZ-UK to insist that from now on only questions directly linked to the sale of the watch by interested parties should be allowed.
    "A friendly place to discuss watches without oppressive moderation"

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood
    I think it would be a step forward for the mod of TZ-UK to insist that from now on only questions directly linked to the sale of the watch by interested parties should be allowed.
    "A friendly place to discuss watches without oppressive moderation"
    +1. Sometimes those comments in SC are useful and informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    +1. Sometimes those comments in SC are useful and informative.
    ...and fun !!

Thankfully, this isn't WUS or suchlike where chat on a sales thread is strictly verboten :wink:

Mods?
    :D

I do think that sometimes Sales Posts are Hijacked with comments that do the Sale no good but I welcome positive/supportative comments about he seller and watch

The last thing we want is moderation of the type found on other forums - Leave it to Eddie to clampdown on extremes and the members to flame lesser indiscretions

Journeyman

Gee, after only 64 posts, which equal 14 posts worth of being able to see the the sales corner, you are going to tell Eddie how to better run his site? That's like being new to a well-established neighborhood bar, and after a couple of drinks, telling the long-time owner how to improve his bar by making it more like every other bar that you've been to.

I've been registered here for about three years after lurking and learning for several years before. I still consider myself to be a relative newbie. Take time to learn the culture around here before you decide that you know better. The Sales Corner is an institution that has been as it is for a long time before you got here.

If you don't like the comments, don't read them. If they still bother you after a couple of years or a few hundred posts, then e-mail Eddie and offer your suggestions.

If I'm mis-speaking, I'm certain that some of the charter members will set me straight. I'm a bit grumpy tonight, so forgive me for answering you honestly.

It's just you :wink:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

As a newbie I, like you, used to think that SC was all wrong, OT sales and chit-chat etc. etc.

I have since seen the light, if you want excessive moderation then go look at Timezone.

If it aint broke then don't fix it.

Dave

Don't forget - every inane comment is a bump :bounce: a :bounce: roonie

:)

Sorry mate but this place is run with a different logic... :cyclopsani: :snorting:
    You don´t like it, you surely find plenty of other places you do.

It really takes a bit time and effort to understand the TZ-UK :drunken:

Journeyman

Still I´m not allowed to post in the sales corner yet, I really like the way it is here. I´m also registered to the German watch forums and there you can´t answer to any sales posts :twisted: I appreciate it a lot reading comments about sales. For me, it´s a little bit like on the flea market, where you can talk about the watch, or something else connected and no seller will be angry, if you don´t take it, but the next time he knows you and has maybe something interesting you really want...

Florian

Most posts I see on the SC are either complimenting the watch or the seller, which at the same time makes for a welcome bump of the thread.
    Posts like "This used to be mine, it´s how the seller described it", or " Have dealt with ++++ before, excellent seller etc" can only benefit the seller, imo.
    You won´t complain about it when you´re selling something, trust me.

Are you "Blakey" from One The Buses? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H
    Most posts I see on the SC are either complimenting the watch or the seller, which at the same time makes for a welcome bump of the thread.
    Posts like "This used to be mine, it´s how the seller described it", or " Have dealt with ++++ before, excellent seller etc" can only benefit the seller, imo.
    Hi,
    I have bought one watch from the SC,i also found the comments very helpful eg ,'deal with confidence','i've seen the watch' etc,comments that i found very reasuring.
    Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H
    More so when you are buying and some of those "inane" comments you refer to give you confidence that you are buying a genuine watch from a genuine seller who is known to other members, trusted and a regular poster of knowledgeable comments which are most definately NOT inane. :cry:

Leave SC as is please.

A nice car for sale can end a bit like "war and peace" !! :P :P

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Boots
    Gee, after only 64 posts, which equal 14 posts worth of being able to see the the sales corner, you are going to tell Eddie how to better run his site? That's like being new to a well-established neighborhood bar, and after a couple of drinks, telling the long-time owner how to improve his bar by making it more like every other bar that you've been to.

I've been registered here for about three years after lurking and learning for several years before. I still consider myself to be a relative newbie. Take time to learn the culture around here before you decide that you know better. The Sales Corner is an institution that has been as it is for a long time before you got here.

If you don't like the comments, don't read them. If they still bother you after a couple of years or a few hundred posts, then e-mail Eddie and offer your suggestions.

Take time to learn the culture? I'm not moving to Tibet in order to teach Buddhism. Er.....it's a watch website.
    I think it's fair to say that I don't require a few hundred posts and a couple of years to establish and articulate that when a watch is being sold it is not helpful to the vendor to receive a stream of posts saying 'blah blah blah I wish I had the money, or blah blah blah already got one! blah blah blah' it is inane in the extreme.

However, I don't wish to be a protagonist, many guys here on tz-uk are obviously very passionate about their freedom to write complete dribble on sales posts
    and I for one do not wish to upset them.

Take time to learn the culture? I'm not moving to Tibet in order to teach Buddhism. Er.....it's a watch website.
    I think it's fair to say that I don't require a few hundred posts and a couple of years to establish and articulate that when a watch is being sold it is not helpful to the vendor to receive a stream of posts saying 'blah blah blah I wish I had the money, or blah blah blah already got one! blah blah blah' it is inane in the extreme.

However, I don't wish to be a protagonist, many guys here on tz-uk are obviously very passionate about their freedom to write complete dribble on sales posts
    and I for one do not wish to upset them
    You just did.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

You are completely on the wrong track here. SC is the best sales forum on the Internet. If you want a more 'professional' forum, I suggest you go to Watch-U-Seek which bores the living daylights out of me. You miss the point too...Sales Corner, like the whole of TZ-UK isn't just about flogging your old watch. Even if you have no money to spend, you can go to the forum, view and comment about the watches on 'display'.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian
    You are completely on the wrong track here. SC is the best sales forum on the Internet. If you want a more 'professional' forum, I suggest you go to Watch-U-Seek which bores the living daylights out of me. You miss the point too...Sales Corner, like the whole of TZ-UK isn't just about flogging your old watch. Even if you have no money to spend, you can go to the forum, view and comment about the watches on 'display'.
    This is what I like about our Sales Corner - I love looking at the Sales Posts dreaming of buying them and its amazing how much info there is to absorb. Since joining this forum my WIS knowledge has increased 1000% and most of it has been from reading Sales Corner

Thanks again Eddie for a great forum

farmkid - No one is forcing you to either read inane dribble (drivel), or indeed frequent this site. If you don't like it you're free to move on, but negative comments such as yours - bit arrogant don't you think?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Grand Master

However, I don't wish to be a protagonist
    Could have fooled me!
    , many guys here on tz-uk are obviously very passionate about their freedom
    Odd that, isn't it, to be passionate about freedom. Where are you from? Perhaps http://www.timezone.north-korea would provide the oppression and control "u seek".

kthxbye
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

and I for one do not wish to upset them.
    I find people very respectful, if you ask for people not to post comments or dribble (I think the term is drivel?) then that is hopefully the reasponse you will get.

I just wonder what has induced (Ironically a word associated with comas) this topic? Are you afflicted by people dribbling (sorry driveling??) on your sales post? If you actually tried to sell something or indeed buy something then you wouldn't have this kind of attitude.

Lots of complementary posts e.g. "If i had the money i would buy that" or "I have one of those, great watches" actually only increase possibility of a sale as it denotes to the seller that the watch is desirable and reliable. It also has the added bonus of bumping your thread to the top keeping the sale recent. Common sense really :wink:

Master

Dont forget that all the "I wish I had the funds" posts keeps the thread bumped to the first page :lol:

Ive never bought or sold on SC but I think the freedom to post is one of the best things about it. Sometimes the sellers find out an extra bit of info about the watch, or they may have got some of the watch facts wrong, etc. You cant really say thats a bad thing. I for one learn a lot about watches just by reading the for sale threads in there.

Sc post crapping is a no no although to be fair a few dubious watches have been spotted by brave souls willing to put thier head above the parapet to which we are grateful. I dont mind the chit chat on a sales post so long as it does not detract from the sale itself and i am sure that positive comments from other members has helped reenforce the buying decision....so for me it's not all bad.

Dave

SC is an extension of the rest of the forum, ie a place to discuss watches. Some of that discussion sometimes takes place in sales threads, that's all. As long as nobody thread-craps for no reason, what's the problem?

In terms of culture, I think that different forums do have differing cultures and versions of posting etiquette. No, it's not as extreme as the difference between the UK and Tibet, but that doesn't mean there isn't any difference.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master

I think there have inevitably been some reply posts on SC that are drivel and have you rolling your eyes but (as we all agree) they bump the post back up so they certainly aren't worthless.

FWIW I avoid posting unless I think I've got something positive/helpful to say, or on the odd occasion where I think/hope it's funny.

I've only sold once on SC but IMO sometimes it's just nice to have a reply as SC can be a lonely place.

I don't think the OP should be criticised too harshly - the same thought crossed my mind after joining, but that's just because I didn't really understand the tradition or envronment I was in.

Never mind the Mods, what about the Rockers? :wink: :D
    F.T.F.A.

I quite like the odd bit of small chat on SC, I think it's part of what makes this forum different. it's also a free bump for the seller. Some of the off topic sales are quite interesting too.

Relax, it's all fun

Cheers

Crispin

I like it when members add helpful comments about the seller and/or the watch, combined with heroes and villains it helps keep the SC a safe place to trade, nips in the bud silly high price (and sometimes low price) offers, and has helped me learn more about great watches I'll probably never own myself.
    Of course sometimes we say such nice things that the seller changes his mind and withdraws the watch from sale :?
    Steve

Master

I'd love one of those. If only I had the cash.

Master

That would be perfect without the cyclops!

Master

I've got one of these and the only time its off my wrist is when I'm having a chop.

I just wonder what has induced (Ironically a word associated with comas) this topic?

That word is associated with another act of life as well, maybe he was a few weeks late... :wink:

Craftsman

Is it just me or do any other members of TZ-UK find it unnecessary that when folk are trying to sell a watch they sometimes get an endless flow of inane posts from other members who are obviously in no way interested in buying the watch.
    Surely the sales corner would operate in a more professional and clearer manner if people only responded to a posting if they were interested in buying the watch and were asking a sensible question about it.

When I read the classified ads in the Sunday Times motoring section I would not think to contact the vendor of a car that I had no intention of buying in order to make a pointless comment- ????????????
    I have just viewed an ad on sales corner for a Rolex which had numerous replies, all of which were inane.

I think it would be a step forward for the mods of TZ-UK to insist that from now on only questions directly linked to the sale of the watch by interested parties should be allowed. If folk want to write dribble they could do so on watch talk- not sales corner.

farmkid.
    The SC has operated successfully for year's and is a wonderful resource for members and offers unparalled value for money so why interfere with it. Unnecessary criticism like this and bitching from new members about not been able to view it until 50 posts could cause Eddie to shut it permanently.

If you wish to purchase a watch in silence then maybe you should walk to your local dealer, just do'nt forget your vaseline.

Quote Originally Posted by stowaJLCfan
    The SC has operated successfully for year's and is a wonderful resource for members and offers unparalled value for money so why interfere with it. Unnecessary criticism like this and bitching from new members about not been able to view it until 50 posts could cause Eddie to shut it permanently.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by stowaJLCfan
    If you wish to purchase a watch in silence then maybe you should walk to your local dealer, just do'nt forget your vaseline.

think it would be a step forward for the mods of TZ-UK[*] to insist that from now on only questions directly linked to the sale of the watch by interested parties should be allowed. If folk want to write dribble they could do so on watch talk- not sales corner.
    * Other forums are available

Master

SC is about far more than just selling watches. Although I will confess that I am addicted to it, I have realised that it is the only watch related sales forum I (regularly) visit. This is precisiely because the posts offered by other members in relation to the sale can be educational, interesting and often funny. I think this is the same for many members on here - if we were addicted to seeing large numbers of watches for sale we would all spend our time on WUS or timezone.

Keep it as it is I say! :thumbright:

Want to see watches for sale with no inane drivel added from other forum members?

ebay, chrono24, or any of the internet retailers might be a better place.

This site is A friendly place to discuss watches
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

How about a free :bounce:

Lovely Friday isn't it :)

Whilst I agree with the sensible comments made here about the reasons why sc is fine as it is, I find the aggressive responses of some people here, a little distasteful. A guy comes along and has an opinion, but because he's not made a thousand posts, he's told in no uncertain terms that he's not entitled to one. He's told to go elsewhere.

The truth is that some of the best ideas come from people who are new to a situation or environment because they have a fresh perspective. Now I happen to think this guy is wrong for all the reasons which have been eloquently put, but to aggressively tell him that hea nd his opinion are not welcome because he's not been around long enough (as some here have done) seems at odds with "a friendly place'" at the top of this page.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1
    Whilst I agree with the sensible comments made here about the reasons why sc is fine as it is, I find the aggressive responses of some people here, a little distasteful. A guy comes along and has an opinion, but because he's not made a thousand posts, he's told in no uncertain terms that he's not entitled to one. He's told to go elsewhere.

The truth is that some of the best ideas come from people who are new to a situation or environment because they have a fresh perspective. Now I happen to think this guy is wrong for all the reasons which have been eloquently put, but to aggressively tell him that hea nd his opinion are not welcome because he's not been around long enough (as some here have done) seems at odds with "a friendly place'" at the top of this page.

I think the point is that the forum as a whole has to date worked really well, it is not like other forums i visit, a nice comment on a sales post or a question that expands teh knowledge of others is great. The tone of the OP comments from the start was to use words like 'mods', 'no talking on sales posts' and to me it came a across a little authoritarian and as for being a newbie...well he is intitled to his opinion but people are allowed to reply, that is why i like it here but i would rather take my advice off the established surgeon rather than the med student doing his 1st operation :wink:

I am not sure i have read aggressive replies, i have read replies that convey just how much this place means to people just the way it is.

I actually think that all this talk about the SC and the forum in general is all a bit negative at the moment especially with the fake crisis unfolding.

At some point the host is going to turn around and just ' Fu@k this' i have better things to do and that will be a loss to all, so lets be a little more considered when we start running around asking for more moderation and additonal rules etc etc etc

Blog Entries

This IS a friendly place, in fact exceptionally so, but newbies who post imflammatory comments ARE likely to get 'stick' proportional to what they post! :twisted:

The vast majority of us :love4: love it here, :love4: any that do not, :tongue4: are free to go elsewhere. :bounce:

Finally, Sales Corner is fine exactly as it is and if anything needs fixing, EDDIE will fix it! :evil:

Master

The talk that is not realted to the seller i.e. for sale, price reduction, bumps etc has saved me from getting burned for a lot of loot on another forum... Someone made a comment that made me question the authenticity of a set that was for sale and as a result I found out laterly that it was not as described and therefore not worth half the money being asked.

I really dont see the big problem personally.

What does p*ss me off is the hundreds of bumped dormant threads around here recently :evil:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1

I think the point is that the forum as a whole has to date worked really well, it is not like other forums i visit, a nice comment on a sales post or a question that expands teh knowledge of others is great. The tone of the OP comments from the start was to use words like 'mods', 'no talking on sales posts' and to me it came a across a little authoritarian and as for being a newbie...well he is intitled to his opinion but people are allowed to reply, that is why i like it here but i would rather take my advice off the established surgeon rather than the med student doing his 1st operation :wink:

I am not sure i have read aggressive replies, i have read replies that convey just how much this place means to people just the way it is.

I actually think that all this talk about the SC and the forum in general is all a bit negative at the moment especially with the fake crisis unfolding.

At some point the host is going to turn around and just ' Fu@k this' i have better things to do and that will be a loss to all, so lets be a little more considered when we start running around asking for more moderation and additonal rules etc etc etc
    I agree.

I think here, as in many walks of life, it's important that people take time to understand the individual culture of the forum before suggesting ways it can be improved, however valid they may be. Not only is it more polite, but it can only help to ensure that your suggestions for change are a) more suitable and b) more likely to be adopted, surely?

Cheers,

Guy :)

I may be on my own here but I like it when I put a watch up for sale and I get comments like "I love it" of "no money now have a bump", it make me feel people are being nice and taking the time to look. :wink:
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON
    I may be on my own here but I like it when I put a watch up for sale and I get comments like "I love it" of "no money now have a bump", it make me feel people are being nice and taking the time to look. :wink:
    Absolutely agree with you. I think the comments keep the sc forum alive. Any kind of feedback is better than silence. At least you know people are reading your ad'.

I think Griff should moderate Sales Corner, and Watch Talk. That'd sort things out, do you see? :cry:

Journeyman

Hi All, This forum works just fine for me and it's always a pleasure to log on and see what's new - including the "inane chatter". There are other sites - nowhere near as good imho - if you don't want that sort of thing.

As it says on the tin "A friendly place to discuss watches without oppressive moderation" ...... :lol: