closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,250 of 1312

Thread: Let's see your guitars

Master
    Have you seen those cardboard strats? On YouTube. Sound great

I'm seriously considering buying a Les Paul heritage - purely as an object d'art for my lounge. Does that make me a bad person?

No pretence that I can play - but it is an absolute design icon.

Might have a shot at basic learning in retirement too.

Grand Master
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I'm seriously considering buying a Les Paul heritage - purely as an object d'art for my lounge. Does that make me a bad person?

Back in the 90's I had the same desire. The advise I got a stayed with me to this day. The guy in the guitar shop in Farnham said to me just buy the one you like the look of because you want to pick it up and if you pick it up you'll be learning to play.
    RIAC

Master

Absolutely nothing wrong with that!
    Cheaper than most art as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Back in the 90's I had the same desire. The advise I got a stayed with me to this day. The guy in the guitar shop in Farnham said to me just buy the one you like the look of because you want to pick it up and if you pick it up you'll be learning to play.
    This, 100%

Sage advice.

Guitar Village?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Sage advice.

Guitar Village?
    Indeed. Only place to be.

Boss gone mad sales
    RIAC

Indeed. Only place to be.

Boss gone mad sales
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that!
    Cheaper than most art as well.
    Very nice- but would the floor not support a Ducati?

Decided to treat myself.................

Craftsman
    Wow! That top looks lovely. Is it unburst?

Quote Originally Posted by Petewon View Post
    Wow! That top looks lovely. Is it unburst?
    Yes, Unburst - 60s style, full weight.

Master
    I was asked about the stands in my photo, and I’m inclined to enthusiastically promote them, as I really feel they are a step up from the bog standard a-frame.

Kinsman Wooden A-Frame Electric Guitar Stand https://amzn.eu/d/2pE1IPw

Also available in a thicker version for acoustic.

(Not affiliated in any way, just sharing the aesthetic love)

Decided to treat myself.................

That is super ducky. Beautiful colour.

Love the reflectors.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Somebody I knew in a music shop had a customer who collected Stratocasters. Didn't play them just hung them on the wall.

If you're feeling flush, there's a 1960 Gibson triple-pickup 'Black Beauty' Les Paul Custom (one of only 189 from that year) for sale in Glasgow. £65k, so maybe a bit of a bargain...

https://www.theguitartradecentre.co....es-paul-custom

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...beauty-guitar/
    ______

​Jim.

This one arrived about a month ago but has only just come back after a proper set up:

There's an old Framus 12-string in the background. Bought on a whim from eBay, it arrived absolutely reeking of ciggie smoke and had to stay in the shed for a week as my wife wouldn't allow it in the house. Three luthiers have tried and failed to set it up properly, so it just sits in the corner, unloved and unplayed.

This one has been with me 34 years and has the battle scars to show for it. It's about time it went for a spa treatment.

And this is the boy's left-handed SG. He's only been playing a couple of years and considering he has hemiplegia, he's still got all the licks

There's also a 35 year old Fender Newporter accoustic downstairs, which still sounds and plays as good as it did new and I haven't touched it other than adding metal pegs and regular new strings.

Grand Master
    ESP LTD Electro Acoustic.

Might....put it on SC as suggested.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 11th October 2023 at 18:46.

Had these two for a while now. Eastman SB59 and a Faith Trembesi Neptune. The Eastman is by far the best electric guitar I've ever played, and I've had quite a few over the years from the usual big brands!

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

There's an old Framus 12-string in the background. Bought on a whim from eBay, it arrived absolutely reeking of ciggie smoke and had to stay in the shed for a week as my wife wouldn't allow it in the house. Three luthiers have tried and failed to set it up properly, so it just sits in the corner, unloved and unplayed.
    Regarding old Framus guitars, they quite often need the necks resetting to play properly, although possibly not worth the expense.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

Nice guitar. How many cats have you got?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Nice guitar. How many cats have you got?
    Ha, you noticed all that. It's just the one tiny moggy but all the damage was done in about a week after we bought it, and before we discovered scratching posts.

The sofa is no longer on general display downstairs, but fits perfectly in the 'games' room.

Moggy now has a proper garden with shrubs and trees to sharpen the claws, although she will occasionally also have a go at the rug.

Craftsman
    I have 2008 Squier Strat Classic Vibe 50's Maple burst just about to go up for sale.. and I've got this Cort Sunset Nylectric coming tomorrow. Excited to try a hybrid nylon (narrow nut and radiussed fretboard) which my poor fingers will appreciate. Been noodling for 30 years (still got my Fender Gemini 2 acoustic I bought in 92) and tried swapping to non-nickels, but in the last three or so years, I just get very messed up tips.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    A mate of mine recently bought the Tim Henson (guitarist from Polyphia) nylon electric acoustic from Ibanez. He’s loving it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    A mate of mine recently bought the Tim Henson (guitarist from Polyphia) nylon electric acoustic from Ibanez. He’s loving it.
    Yeah, I saw some reviews on that too. I was tempted, but this one came up at a good price. I like the look of the Cordoba Fusion 5 and Stage models too.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Exciting day today! Just picked up my 50th birthday self-gift. An all original 1958 Fender Strat. When I saw it, I immediately knew someone before me must have really loved the sound of this thing! And it does sound great - currently plugged into a 1960s Fender Princeton amp, with just a little bit of reverb and vibrato.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    Exciting day today! Just picked up my 50th birthday self-gift. An all original 1958 Fender Strat. When I saw it, I immediately knew someone before me must have really loved the sound of this thing! And it does sound great - currently plugged into a 1960s Fender Princeton amp, with just a little bit of reverb and vibrato.
    Wow!! That’s a proper treat! Great to see one that’s been played. Enjoy!

Craftsman
    Now that is a 50th present to ones self!
    Congratulations

Master
    That looks amazing. Love the wear on the body and the fretboard - looks like it’s been acquired the ‘right’ way - by being played and played, but also treated with care and attention.

Looks fantastic, what a self-gift! Happy Birthday to you.

Wow! How Do you authenticate a guitar like that?

Thank you all!

In terms of authenticating it, there are several things you can look at on these guitars, like part/serial numbers etc, even down to individual electronic components. But I guess the most important thing, like with anything, is to acquire them through channels you can trust.

What a fantastic gift!

Always best to buy for yourself - then you get what you want!

Lovely pre- CBS.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

What a fantastic gift!

Always best to buy for yourself - then you get what you want!

Lovely pre- CBS.
    Indeed! Then bring on the socks and pyjamas from the wife and kids!

Deleted
    Last edited by jamiej; 20th October 2023 at 18:29.

Just spent a pleasant and productive afternoon fettling and modding my Squier tele.
    Bought it new a few weeks ago and could never find the sweet spot for the G string (fnark). It always sounded either flat or sharp so changed the string, no difference. Messed about with intonation and string height, could make it worse but no better.
    After mucho Google and YouTube activity I decided to try an extra string guide tree for the D and G strings due to the long length on the G between the nut and the tuner. So I ordered a pair of black roller jobbies, and at the same time black Wilkinson aftermarket tuners
    Loosened the relevant strings and fitted the string trees. Bit nervous drilling into the headstock of a new guitar but tape wrapped around the bit as a guide/stop at the required depth to stop going right through did the trick.
    Tuned it back up, G is now spot on. Then took all the strings off and removed the neck. Swapped the tuners, used same drill bit with tape for the screws. The new tuners have a higher ratio than the Squier ones so easier to fine tune, and the black hardware looks so much better with the black Squier logo and finger plate than the original chrome stuff.
    I took the neck off to put a fine shim in to lower the action a little. It was okay to start with but better now, plus it made changing the tuners easier with just the neck on the bench.
    Learned a lot and very happy with the results.

That's beautiful!

Can I ask where you got it from? I'm thinking of something similar for my 50th in a few years (although would probably be looking for a early 60's Strat) but not really sure where to start.... obviously there's the Vintage and Rare site and Reverb but I was wondering whether there's other options and resources I should be researching

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    That's beautiful!

Can I ask where you got it from? I'm thinking of something similar for my 50th in a few years (although would probably be looking for a early 60's Strat) but not really sure where to start.... obviously there's the Vintage and Rare site and Reverb but I was wondering whether there's other options and resources I should be researching
    Thank you! The guitar originally came from ATB Guitars via Reverb. ATB has a great range of vintage instruments. Then I got it refretted (from jumbo to 6105), inspected, and set up by Gerald at the Vintage Instrument Workshop (No. Tom Guitars) in Denmark street. He also redid a small repair by the bridge that had been done poorly before.

Incidentally, after purchasing the guitar, I came across this video partly filmed at ATB Guitars that features my guitar. The video is about a guy’s search for a pre-CBS strat, and my instrument is one of the few he tries: https://youtu.be/HuhOm0EQkmY?si=rpJW1mHA9kiRedV6

Hope you don't mind my asking in this thread... But I'm hoping the guitarist subscribers can help me here.

I've played most of my life, self taught jamming over CDs, but really, never improved in 30 years.

I'm going to have a go at the trinity college rock guitar exams.

I need a way to play, with the option of headphones for quiet practice, a mix of audio track and myself on electric guitar. For the digital exams, I have to record and submit 3 performances and so I need to be able to record the mix to MP4 video. The submission doesn't have to be any more than a smartphone recording mind you, so the real issue is a way to blend me and a track to headphones.

Where on earth do I start?! I only have a selection of pedals (boss mostly) and a marshall valve amp.

I was wondering if a boss multi effects unit would be a good starting point. I see they have aux in and headphone out.

Any advice from fellow players will be much appreciated.
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 2nd January 2024 at 23:26.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding, but will separate audio and video tracks (even if mixed together) be acceptable? Won't they require a straight video recording with 'live' audio?

From looking at other submissions on YouTube, most just stick up a camera phone for the recording. As you rightly say, they'll want to see a raw recording as such.

It's more for the practicing side of things, so I can practice without disturbing everyone in the house, yet getting a nice blend of guitar and track in my headphones.
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 3rd January 2024 at 02:11.

I think something like this would do what you want. https://www.andertons.co.uk/amps/pra...one-guitar-amp

My new toy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think something like this would do what you want. https://www.andertons.co.uk/amps/pra...one-guitar-amp
    I think I'll go for this one... Fender Mustang Micro Amplifier - The Ultimate All-In-One Personal Headphone Amplifier : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Bit more, but lots of fender amp models, some effects, and Bluetooth so you can play the tracks direct from your phone. Thanks for the steer!!

Guitar in Transit Insurance

Thinking about sending a guitar after selling by a carrier any recommendations also how about insurance to cover in transit damage.
    Thanks
    Squashy1

Quote Originally Posted by squashy1 View Post
    Thinking about sending a guitar after selling by a carrier any recommendations also how about insurance to cover in transit damage.
    Thanks
    Squashy1
    Overland Express will properly insure guitars and is recommended for expensive stuff on a UK guitar forum I post on.

Alternatively I have used UPS via Parcel Monkey or similar brokers previously and have always been OK.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Insurance

Overland Express will properly insure guitars and is recommended for expensive stuff on a UK guitar forum I post on.

Alternatively I have used UPS via Parcel Monkey or similar brokers previously and have always been OK.
    Thanks Neil
    Nice to know as I have never sent one yet but considering it.
    Squashy1

When sending a guitar without hard case by post, how do you package it?

When sending a guitar without hard case by post, how do you package it?
    I've done so twice, successfully, but it's still nerve wracking.
    First put cardboard between the strings and the guitar itself and slacken said strings. Then wrap guitar in bubble wrap and put it in a gigbag.
    I then put the gigbag in the cardboard box a newer guitar has come in with extra cardboard added inside, particularly at the ends.
    Clearly mark the cardboard box this way up with the headstock at the top (no guarantee this will have any notice taken of by handlers but can't hurt doing so), and send by Parcelforce, surprisingly cheap for such a large heavy parcel.
    If you don't have a gigbag it's worth buying a cheap one on ebay or amazon (often less than £20) for the job if the guitar you are posting has any value.
    Hope this helps.

Craftsman
    Went through all of this a couple of weeks ago and agree with above (had box from new guitar and reused it). DHL next day door to door Essex to Edinburgh was £14.80. worth booking collection service.. did not want to leave at local shop collection.