closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's see your guitars

Hi all

Went to the bootsale this morning and picked up two 'Lectrics, One is a cheapo Strat copy, T'uther, I have no idea what it is, Can't even tell for sure what the name is on the headstock, It has cheapo machines though!!

The red one has Rankine as part of the name, When I googled the name, There was a singer/guitarist called Alan Rankine but I don't think it's anything to do with him..

It seems to be a little bit like an Epiphone junior double cutaway, Probably much worse though! (And with a Rickenbacker headstock flash! )..

They're both tuned now and play OK, The red one is set up better than the blue one, That's a little high but is dead easy to drop the strings a bit..

John

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi all

Went to the bootsale this morning and picked up two 'Lectrics, One is a cheapo Strat copy, T'uther, I have no idea what it is, Can't even tell for sure what the name is on the headstock, It has cheapo machines though!!

The red one has Rankine as part of the name, When I googled the name, There was a singer/guitarist called Alan Rankine but I don't think it's anything to do with him..

It seems to be a little bit like an Epiphone junior double cutaway, Probably much worse though! (And with a Rickenbacker headstock flash! )..

They're both tuned now and play OK, The red one is set up better than the blue one, That's a little high but is dead easy to drop the strings a bit..

John
    Interesting! I'd best stay away from car boot sales or I'll be buying more guitars!

The Strat copy appears to be a Starmaker!

http://www.cashgenerator.co.uk/produ...guitar-DB10427

I think somebody has "customised" the red one John.

Always great to find a guitar at the boot sale though!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

These are my main electrics. Fender Standard USA strat and a standard ES335. Considering getting rid of the 335 but currently undecided

Very nice pair!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Just purchased this one. MIM Fat Strat FSR in Graffiti Yellow.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Just purchased this one. MIM Fat Strat FSR in Graffiti Yellow.

What a cool colour!

Master
    Yeah, it's pretty funky!

Did it come with sunglasses Ben?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Beautiful dark rosewood board on that one!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My current Strat, but I so want a LP.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Did it come with sunglasses Ben?
    It is on the bright side. My wife has nicknamed it Tweety Pie which wasn't exactly the tone I was looking for. I don't know if it's true but apparently Fender Graffiti Yellow was inspired by the Deuce Coupe from American Graffiti.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    Beautiful dark rosewood board on that one!
    Yes, it looks good against the yellow I think. I believe it originally had knurled, metal control knobs so will probably source some. There's so few references on the net to this particular model that's it's hard to find the original specs though.
    Last edited by benny.c; 23rd August 2017 at 23:19.

I've had many over the years... but now have 4 "keepers". Only have pics of three of them for now...

My 1987 USA Fender Strat. My Mum and Dad bought me this for my 16th birthday. I couldn't get enough of Eric Clapton back then, so changed the pickups for lace sensors (as on the Clapton Signature Strats). I also had the control knobs and switch top custom sprayed to match the body. Love this old thing so much...

Here it is, alongside a watercolour that a good friend painted for my study:

My Ibanez JS1200CA (Candy Apple) Joe Satriani Signature Series. Signed by the legend himself when I got to meet him backstage in 2008. This is probably the best guitar I've ever played. Its astounding in both sound and feel. I got to chat to Joe about its development and he told me that Ibanez had given him a clay Strat - and he moulded and shaped it with a knife to create the JS shape. The neck, is made from a 360 degree scan of Joe's own favourite neck - so even when new, it feels like you've owned it for years.

A crappy phone pic of the Ibanez, running through a "Satchurator" pedal.

My bespoke "Pearce" guitar, made for me by a good friend who has worked at Lowden Guitars here in Nothern Ireland for almost 30 years. I got to choose every detail and enjoy a 6 month long build process. I bought the "Bocote" wood myself from South America. I could talk about this one all night... so I'll shut up and leave the pictures instead!

The wood, fresh from South America:

"Adirondack" spruce wood for the soundboard. Paua shell insert in the sound hole and a solid mother of pearl bridge.

The devil's in the detail....

I'm selfish. When I play in the house... I want some sound projected up to ME!! Works... works a treat.

A shot of the back showing off that lovely grain. Busy, but wonderful to my eye.

And finally, in white MOP, my initials.

Last edited by JohnnyE; 24th August 2017 at 01:28.

Master
    Great collection JohnnyE, especially as each guitar has an interesting history attached to it.

Louis Electric Columbia Reverb (6V6s fitted)
    James Trussart Steeldeville. T.V Jones Powertrons and Bigsby.

What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    My current Strat, but I so want a LP.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    They're overrated. ;-)

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Is anyone just starting out or know someone that would have a use for these books and tuner? Just had a cleaout and found them in the loft. Postage is on me.

Master
    I posted the above on PH too and someone asked if the books contained chord diagrams with a link to this video. Very funny IMHO and features some guitar legends (contains one mild swear word).

The Trial of Ralph McTell...."100 easy guitar tunes"

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7e3_1375973597

Craftsman
    https://i.imgur.com/yRudqT2.jpg
    With the slow fading of photobucket. I thought I’d try an alternative and show this. Bought in France as I didn’t fancy a few weeks without noodling.

Hope it works.

Edit. Well half way there!
    Last edited by Neil T; 13th October 2017 at 17:59.

Craftsman
    Well got it up and running eventually

Squier Classic Vibe 60s in Candy Apple Red.

^^^

Congrats on NGD.

Those CV's are supposed to punch well above their weight, I have heard nothing but good reports on them.

I'd like to try one out one day as I have heard they have skinny necks which suits me.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Finally I've settled!

After several ins and outs, I've finally decided which ones to keep and which to sell. I am going to stay with four guitars, three electrics and one acoustic.

Electrics are a Trussart Steeldeville with TV Jones Powertrons and Bigsby. It's pictured above in this thread and is amazing.... another pic...

Secondly, a Classic Players 50s Strat, stock and just brilliant for all my Strat needs.

And my latest aquisition. I've wanted one of these since I tried a genuine vintage version at Vintage & Rare in Denmark Street. However, a new one made to vintage specs is more up my street. The neck on this is just huge and beautiful, the build quality perfect, the tone and playability is amazing. It's a CS R6 Goldtop with P90s. Stunning.

And finally my acoustic, also pictured in this thread. A 1946 Kay archtop, retro fitted with a 60 DeArmond Goldfoil, volume, tone and jack socket. This is probably the most beautiful instrument I've ever owned and sits so well in the "family". I gigged it on Friday and it it just a beast.

So that's where I'm at with my guitars. A few to sell, but all good!
    Last edited by MerlinShepherd; 15th October 2017 at 09:40.

Master
    I need to have a bit of a clearout myself, I've added three PRSes and an SG to the stable since Christmas and something's gotta give.

The SG is a 'faded' model and a very practical guitar. Very light. It does feel a bit cheap, almost like it's been made out of garden furniture but the fretwork is surprisingly well done and it plays very well indeed.

This is the most recent PRS, a Custom 22:

This one is the best factory-made guitar I've ever played - it's so nice to play and look at that it made me feel light-headed. The quality of construction and attention to detail are impeccable and it really sings.

I also have a very nice CE24 with a vintage cherry flame top and an S2 Standard 22 in Frost Lime (if I remember correctly). The S2 is by no means a poor relation, it's a superb instrument.

Master
    Something a little different. Went to our local Indy guitar shop at the weekend to get my boy a Tele as he’s been going on about them for a while. We spent a good hour in there trying out different models and he really liked the look of this Supro. I dismissed it to start with as I’d never heard of them but he loved it and more importantly, really enjoyed playing it.

You can get a really nice tone from it, especially with a small amount of drive - very 60s Rock. Build quality seems pretty decent except the truss rod cover which looks like I made it in the shed. Overall it’s very nice though and significantly different to the other guitars we have.

Last edited by benny.c; 3rd July 2018 at 23:15.

Nice ^^

Pretty sure Joe Perry from Aerosmith has been seen with Supros before. Certainly their amps.

Let's see your guitars

My two main electrics

Last edited by Cyclone; 3rd July 2018 at 15:20.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    Nice ^^

Pretty sure Joe Perry from Aerosmith has been seen with Supros before. Certainly their amps.
    Yeah, a lot of famous faces have used Supro gear the more I look in to the history of the brand (I think the original company folded a while back).

Yeah, a lot of famous faces have used Supro gear the more I look in to the history of the brand (I think the original company folded a while back).
    The amps were pretty famous years back but as you say the original company folded.

When those Supro guitars came out they were pretty expensive but Guitar Guitar recently blew them out at around half price which was a great buy.

They still have one model left....

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/searc...earchoverride=

I guess your model has the plastic top?

They do look remarkably different in a good way.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    My two main electrics

Can't beat the classics.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I picked up a Kemper Profiling amp a while back and I have to say, it's astonishingly good. I run it either into headphones or via a mixing desk into a pair of studio monitors and for home practice it's hard to imagine a better system. It reacts just like a real tube amp and pretty much every amplifier ever made is available via Kemper's Rig Exchange website. It's expensive, but it's one helluva rig.

Master
    The amps were pretty famous years back but as you say the original company folded.

When those Supro guitars came out they were pretty expensive but Guitar Guitar recently blew them out at around half price which was a great buy.

They still have one model left....

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/searc...earchoverride=

I guess your model has the plastic top?

They do look remarkably different in a good way.
    We got ours at just over half price so I reckon it’s a decent guitar for the money. Ours (the Jamesport) has a solid alder body so it’s not one of the chambered models which have the fibreglass top - assuming that’s what you are referring to by plastic top?

I think it’s pretty funky looking and it’s certainly growing on me.
    Last edited by benny.c; 4th July 2018 at 19:26.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I picked up a Kemper Profiling amp a while back and I have to say, it's astonishingly good. I run it either into headphones or via a mixing desk into a pair of studio monitors and for home practice it's hard to imagine a better system. It reacts just like a real tube amp and pretty much every amplifier ever made is available via Kemper's Rig Exchange website. It's expensive, but it's one helluva rig.

That was some test! Those Kempers ain't cheap though are they??!! Something to aspire to...

Craftsman

Finally picked up my first Gibson which is a 2014 125 Anniversary model and was in immaculate condition when I picked it up as the guy had bought it for his girlfriend who used it twice. It came with everything from new.

Then I made a booboo after leaving my capo as I do with my other guitars on the headstock and it marked it...gutted doesn’t cover it. At first I just thought it was Amaro left from the rubber on the capo so tried to scrap it off with my fingernail only to find it was causing more marks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't mess around with nitro.

If you use a guitar stand make sure it is nitro proof or just cover the arms/backrest with an old cotton T shirt, socks etc.

I'm afraid leaving something like your capo attached for long periods is asking for trouble.

Horrible to see that.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Don't mess around with nitro.

If you use a guitar stand make sure it is nitro proof or just cover the arms/backrest with an old cotton T shirt, socks etc.

I'm afraid leaving something like your capo attached for long periods is asking for trouble.

Horrible to see that.
    I’d no idea about it as I’ve always left my capo on my telecaster and Washburn acoustic without issues so never gave it a 2nd thought until it was too late :-(

Quote Originally Posted by hotbaws View Post
    I’d no idea about it as I’ve always left my capo on my telecaster and Washburn acoustic without issues so never gave it a 2nd thought until it was too late :-(

Those guitars use a polyester finish.

Older Fenders and all Gibsons use nitrocellulose which is an old style finish that ages gracefully but can be marked by modern synthetic products.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Just 'won' this 1985 Yamaha 460s 'Flying Dove' acoustic on fleabay!!

Can't wait for it to land, Hopefully in one piece!!

There's nice bits of abalone purfling/rosette inlaid and nice 'Dove' inlaid fret markers, The Dove markers were apparently only used from '85 to '87..

Top is solid Sitka spruce, Back and sides are Indian Rosewood, Neck is nato and fingerboard of Ovangkol..

Sellers pics

Last week I bought a guitar that I never thought I would, An Encore!!

It's an Italian made bowlback with a piezzo pickup under the saddle, It was only £15 and is surprisingly good although it could do with a new volume control as it's quite crackly!!, I'll 'borrow' some cleaner jack tomorrow from work to see if the pot is salvageable but I foresee having to buy a new volume pot to solder in!!

It sounds dull due to the years (Maybe decades) old strings, I'll remove them and at the same time, Fetch the volume pot out to have a look at..

John

Current SOTC, hoping to move up to a Soldano SLO100 at some point.

PRS McCarty Trem

EBMM Axis

Bacchus Imperial Pro

Fender Richie Kotzen Signature Telecaster

Fender Japan ST-62TX Stratocaster

Snapdragon Folding Travel Guitar

Pedal collection

Various NOS and current production pre-amp tubes for the important tube positions in the amp

Soldano HR50+ 2x12 Combo

The Man Cave

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Just 'won' this 1985 Yamaha 460s 'Flying Dove' acoustic on fleabay!!

Can't wait for it to land, Hopefully in one piece!!

There's nice bits of abalone purfling/rosette inlaid and nice 'Dove' inlaid fret markers, The Dove markers were apparently only used from '85 to '87..

Top is solid Sitka spruce, Back and sides are Indian Rosewood, Neck is nato and fingerboard of Ovangkol..

Sellers pics

John
    Yamaha's are always good quality John, hope you enjoy it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    I’ve been after an Epiphone EJ200 for a while and spotted this one locally for £150 for going to see it tonight with the view to buying it.

Master
    Question (sorry I’m very new to guitars)

I bought a squire strat and it was very dirty so set about a deep clean, removed the strings etc. When I refitted them I did the one over rest under trick but it seems like it doesn’t want to stay in tune! Obviously there’s going to be some stretch and retuning I’d assume when fitting strings but while I ‘played’ I kept checking and it just needed more tightening over a couple of hours.

Is this normal or do I need new strings?

If you were to fit new strings, how much tuning and retuning would they take?

I didn’t play it before but I did notice when I got it the strings were very out of tune (loose)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Question (sorry I’m very new to guitars)

I bought a squire strat and it was very dirty so set about a deep clean, removed the strings etc. When I refitted them I did the one over rest under trick but it seems like it doesn’t want to stay in tune! Obviously there’s going to be some stretch and retuning I’d assume when fitting strings but while I ‘played’ I kept checking and it just needed more tightening over a couple of hours.

Is this normal or do I need new strings?

If you were to fit new strings, how much tuning and retuning would they take?

I didn’t play it before but I did notice when I got it the strings were very out of tune (loose)
    Did you stretch the strings when you fitted them? Presume you fitted new strings and didn't re-use the old ones? When I've changed strings (which hasn't been very often so I'm no expert), a bit of stretching while fitting worked a treat and they stayed in tune well. But there is a lot more than that to keeping them in tune - you might need to check neck relief etc. as well. I was recommended to buy a book - Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine - well worth it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Did you stretch the strings when you fitted them? Presume you fitted new strings and didn't re-use the old ones? When I've changed strings (which hasn't been very often so I'm no expert), a bit of stretching while fitting worked a treat and they stayed in tune well. But there is a lot more than that to keeping them in tune - you might need to check neck relief etc. as well. I was recommended to buy a book - Guitar Player Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine - well worth it.
    Thanks. I just refitted the same strings, was that a no, no?!

I just wondered if they were old and refitting them was a losing battle with tuning.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Thanks. I just refitted the same strings, was that a no, no?!

I just wondered if they were old and refitting them was a losing battle with tuning.
    If the guitar was that dirty that it needed a deep clean, chances are the strings are past their best. Definitely worth trying a new set. Look at some of the videos on YouTube about how to do it so that you get the stretch and winds correct. And take a look to see how bowed (either way) or not the neck is, how high the strings are from the frets and the intonation. It can be a bit three-dimensional to be honest. Hopefully a new set of strings will see you right.

There should be others along in a while that have much more experience.

Master
    Definitely fit new strings. They cost buttons so it’s not worth reusing the old ones if you don’t know how long they’ve been on for. A little firm but careful stretching as you’re fitting should result in them settling down pretty quickly.

Craftsman
    Handy thread, I'd just picked up some wall hangers recently to get my guitars on the office/studio wall but hadn't twigged that the nitro finish on my SG might be damaged by it. Luckily I've caught it early enough and ziptied some cotton around the hook!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    If the guitar was that dirty that it needed a deep clean, chances are the strings are past their best. Definitely worth trying a new set. Look at some of the videos on YouTube about how to do it so that you get the stretch and winds correct. And take a look to see how bowed (either way) or not the neck is, how high the strings are from the frets and the intonation. It can be a bit three-dimensional to be honest. Hopefully a new set of strings will see you right.

There should be others along in a while that have much more experience.
    Definitely fit new strings. They cost buttons so it’s not worth reusing the old ones if you don’t know how long they’ve been on for. A little firm but careful stretching as you’re fitting should result in them settling down pretty quickly.
    Thanks gents.

The strings did seem too high to me nearer the bridge end so I adjusted that down lower more inline with how my chibson turned up (which seems easier to handle)

I’ll order some strings.

Master
    Accidentally made a sneaky offer to the seller of this on Reverb. We met in the middle and it arrived a month or so ago. Unforunately in the middle of a house move and not had time to even sit down with it much, let alone plug it in to anything! Can't wait to move into the new place and give it a good bash.

Gibson Explorer 'Golden Axe' Bill Kelliher (Mastodon) limited edition 400 pieces.

^^^^

Oooh, that's saucy Bonesy!
    Cheers,
    Neil.