closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,300 of 1312

Thread: Let's see your guitars

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Hope you don't mind my asking in this thread... But I'm hoping the guitarist subscribers can help me here.

I've played most of my life, self taught jamming over CDs, but really, never improved in 30 years.

I'm going to have a go at the trinity college rock guitar exams.

I need a way to play, with the option of headphones for quiet practice, a mix of audio track and myself on electric guitar. For the digital exams, I have to record and submit 3 performances and so I need to be able to record the mix to MP4 video. The submission doesn't have to be any more than a smartphone recording mind you, so the real issue is a way to blend me and a track to headphones.

Where on earth do I start?! I only have a selection of pedals (boss mostly) and a marshall valve amp.

I was wondering if a boss multi effects unit would be a good starting point. I see they have aux in and headphone out.

Any advice from fellow players will be much appreciated.

I have a Boss GT-001 - it's ideal for live recordings over backing tracks. You don't need to use the aux in.

So: for this my setup is:

1. set the output of whatever you use to play the backing track to the GT-001.
    2. modify the settings of the Boss unit so "loop" mode is on (it's off by default). This sends the backing track + guitar to the USB as output.
    3. set the guitar level so it's mixed nicely with respect to the backing track, using the sensitivity setting on the Boss, and for fine tuning, the guitar volume control.
    4. connect the headphones and put 'em on
    5. Select your desired patch on the GT-001
    6. start a webcam recorder app, with the audio input setting assigned as the GT-001
    7. hit 'record', start the backing track, widdle away. You'll hear your guitar over the backing track through the headphones, and the webcam recorder will get the same audio via USB.

Let's see your guitars

Got myself new setup for Christmas, a Ibanez RG prestige - 2nd hand but in great condition, booked in to get it fully set up. The floating trem took some getting use to but it’s nice and holds tune really well even when using the whammy. The quick tunes can go to drop D which is nice without having to unlock the top nut. Happy with my choice and I love how it looks. It’s a well made guitar, the neck is so smooth and it’s a joy to play.

Also picked up a katana mk2 100 and airstrip foot switch, a huge improvement over the old fender, but man it’s way to loud, I have it on 0.5W power and volumes down to 20% ish and it’s about right indoors, tries it on full power and it’s just insane. The 50W would have been a better buy but I wanted the loop in that is only on the 100. Hooked up to a laptop you have access so loads of inbuilt pedal effects, and can download other people’s tunes/ patches . which I have done, not quite ready to be making my own patches. Really clever amp when used with a laptop.

Had a little play with the looper and it’s fun. The polytune is a smart bit of kit, would recommend it for anyone looking for a tuner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NikGixer750; 6th January 2024 at 18:40.

Let's see your guitars

Not a purchase, but a kit build I did recently- my first one. As a young un, I was brought into guitars and rock music by Status Quo, and I always really liked Rossi’’s green telecaster. So when I was looking for a project a little while back I decided to try and build a bit of a replica. Rossi’’s original has evolved many times during its lifetime so I settled on the Live Aid era incarnation. Had a lot of fun building this. Had to fit a tune-o-matic bridge, fabricate a tailpiece and cut a fender bridge plate in half. Dulled all the chrome down, bashed and scuffed the body a bit, drilled the famous body hole, Lego car tyre on the volume knob, and tried loads of different greens in order to get something vaguely like the original. Settled on a yellow stain base from Crimson, with a green stain over that. It still wasn’t right so in a gung ho mood I hit it with some vintage amber nitro and it worked a treat. It took a bit of setup work but it now plays really nicely. Very happy with how it turned out.

Last edited by nr73; 7th January 2024 at 00:33.

I’m now working on my second kit, a Les Paul using the Viking Blood Eagle as a theme. This is just being freestyled as I go. If it turns out ok I’ll replace the supplied chrome hardware with black hardware. The wood grain was not up to much, a regular burst stain would have looked plain and I don’t have the patience to sand and paint a regular finish.

And then we have this, my latest acquisition! A Solar Canibalismo in, I think you’ll agree, a very stealth paint job. Plays fantastic! This was my Christmas present, to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by nr73 View Post
    Not a purchase, but a kit build I did recently- my first one. As a young un, I was brought into guitars and rock music by Status Quo, and I always really liked Rossi’s green telecaster. So when I was looking for a project a little while back I decided to try and build a bit of a replica. Rossi’s original has evolved many times during its lifetime so I settled on the Live Aid era incarnation. Had a lot of fun building this. Had to fit a tune-o-matic bridge, fabricate a tailpiece and cut a fender bridge plate in half. Dulled all the chrome down, bashed and scuffed the body a bit, drilled the famous body hole, and tried loads of different greens in order to get something vaguely like the original. Settled on a yellow stain base from Crimson, with a green stain over that. It still wasn’t right so in a gung ho mood I hit it with some vintage amber nitro and it worked a treat. It took a bit of setup work but it now plays really nicely. Very happy with how it turned out.

That's a corker fair play!

:
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I have a Boss GT-001 - it's ideal for live recordings over backing tracks. You don't need to use the aux in.

So: for this my setup is:

1. set the output of whatever you use to play the backing track to the GT-001.
    2. modify the settings of the Boss unit so "loop" mode is on (it's off by default). This sends the backing track + guitar to the USB as output.
    3. set the guitar level so it's mixed nicely with respect to the backing track, using the sensitivity setting on the Boss, and for fine tuning, the guitar volume control.
    4. connect the headphones and put 'em on
    5. Select your desired patch on the GT-001
    6. start a webcam recorder app, with the audio input setting assigned as the GT-001
    7. hit 'record', start the backing track, widdle away. You'll hear your guitar over the backing track through the headphones, and the webcam recorder will get the same audio via USB.
    Thanks for taking time to explain that! I actually ended up buying this via Reverb (great app btw for used gear):

I'm pretty sure you can use the USB connection to record output on a PC. Haven't got that far in the manual yet! Initial impressions are that this unit pretty much covers everything I'd ever need. Took a short while to explore, but I've found some really great tones already.

Really enjoying getting back into this after neglecting my old Strat that my Mum bought me in 1987.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    :

Thanks for taking time to explain that! I actually ended up buying this via Reverb (great app btw for used gear):

I'm pretty sure you can use the USB connection to record output on a PC. Haven't got that far in the manual yet! Initial impressions are that this unit pretty much covers everything I'd ever need. Took a short while to explore, but I've found some really great tones already.

Really enjoying getting back into this after neglecting my old Strat that my Mum bought me in 1987.

Nice! I have a Boss ME-80 and think it is great. Reminded me to get it off the shelf and plug it in...
    As you probably now, there are loads of patches that you can download from Boss Tone Central.

Journeyman
    Decided to trade in my Sheraton for something simpler. Whilst i loved the neck on the Sheraton I just found the body a little large and was never fully comfortable with it. Not a problem i have with the telecaster, which i find myself picking up with far more frequency
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by fierbois16; 10th January 2024 at 12:01. Reason: failed to insert image

Master
    Not a purchase, but a kit build I did recently- my first one. As a young un, I was brought into guitars and rock music by Status Quo, and I always really liked Rossi’’s green telecaster. So when I was looking for a project a little while back I decided to try and build a bit of a replica. Rossi’’s original has evolved many times during its lifetime so I settled on the Live Aid era incarnation. Had a lot of fun building this. Had to fit a tune-o-matic bridge, fabricate a tailpiece and cut a fender bridge plate in half. Dulled all the chrome down, bashed and scuffed the body a bit, drilled the famous body hole, Lego car tyre on the volume knob, and tried loads of different greens in order to get something vaguely like the original. Settled on a yellow stain base from Crimson, with a green stain over that. It still wasn’t right so in a gung ho mood I hit it with some vintage amber nitro and it worked a treat. It took a bit of setup work but it now plays really nicely. Very happy with how it turned out.
    You could have had the (a?) real one for £119k!

https://www.bonhams.com/auction/2543...tar-late-1965/

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    You could have had the (a?) real one for £119k!

https://www.bonhams.com/auction/2543...tar-late-1965/
    Piece of history - need to go on a wall or in a glass case.

Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Piece of history - need to go on a wall or in a glass case.

Love it!
    Rossi said himself when he announced he was selling it that it had become unplayable and untunable.
    To make it good would totally obliterate the history of it, so display only anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Rossi said himself when he announced he was selling it that it had become unplayable and untunable.
    To make it good would totally obliterate the history of it, so display only anyway.
    The fact a piece of wood managed 50 years of touring, playing smoke filled clubs, sweat, all those changes of humidity and temperature and it lasted so long is nothing short of amazing.

The fact a piece of wood managed 50 years of touring, playing smoke filled clubs, sweat, all those changes of humidity and temperature and it lasted so long is nothing short of amazing.
    And more than a few knocks and drops too. The strength and simplicity of a tele is legendary for good reason.

And more than a few knocks and drops too. The strength and simplicity of a tele is legendary for good reason.
    Very true. I went off them for years, can't say why but they held zero appeal for me. Then 2yrs ago I bought Harley Benton's most basic Tele because it was on offer for £62. Honestly, that thing plays better than it has any right to. I've tried Squiers in the shop and a couple of MIM Tele's, and I can't say they played noticeably better in any way than the HB. I then picked up a dual humbucker version off FB marketplace for £50 and modded it a little to take drop tunings. Then I bought the Filtertron version they have in the sale, and after building the Rossi Tele I find myself with 4 of the damn things!

Very true. I went off them for years, can't say why but they held zero appeal for me. Then 2yrs ago I bought Harley Benton's most basic Tele because it was on offer for £62. Honestly, that thing plays better than it has any right to. I've tried Squiers in the shop and a couple of MIM Tele's, and I can't say they played noticeably better in any way than the HB. I then picked up a dual humbucker version off FB marketplace for £50 and modded it a little to take drop tunings. Then I bought the Filtertron version they have in the sale, and after building the Rossi Tele I find myself with 4 of the damn things!
    I've been fancying trying a Harley Benton, I like their hotrod version but want to wait for a bargain. I've never had a Fender tele (only the telecoustic which was rather nasty). I've had two Squiers, an affinity and sonic, and they were okay but not as nice as an sx I tried recently and barely any better than a sixty quid Donner I also had a strum on.
    That Rossi replica of yours is superb.

Master
    Imagine what Angus Youngs SGs are like he sweats like a bstrd. Saw Springsteen in 1981 and his Tele was being dried with a hairdryer in the interval

Before I looked into it - always thought the Tele was the poor-man's Strat.

Now I think there is a purity in design with the Tele. despite the less sculpted look.

And proper guitarists can really make them sing!

I'm struggling to think what might be wrong with it that couldn't be fixed.

Enjoy!

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I'm struggling to think what might be wrong with it that couldn't be fixed.
    Apparently softening of the wood which is irreversible. To be fair it probably plays well enough and would stay in tune enough for most of us mortals. Rossi is notoriously fussy about tuning.

Apparently softening of the wood which is irreversible. To be fair it probably plays well enough and would stay in tune enough for most of us mortals. Rossi is notoriously fussy about tuning.
    In Pembroke Castle in 2019 he rejected a good half dozen guitars, he said the temperature was playing hell with the tuning. We could see his guitar tech down the side furiously restringing and tuning, he earned his coin that night. A damn good show did eventually start though.

In Pembroke Castle in 2019 he rejected a good half dozen guitars, he said the temperature was playing hell with the tuning. We could see his guitar tech down the side furiously restringing and tuning, he earned his coin that night. A damn good show did eventually start though.
    True to form! I saw him a couple of months ago and he stopped to tune a good few times during the show. Even as a guitarist I wasn’t hearing any tuning issues though.

Let's see your guitars

I've been fancying trying a Harley Benton, I like their hotrod version but want to wait for a bargain. I've never had a Fender tele (only the telecoustic which was rather nasty). I've had two Squiers, an affinity and sonic, and they were okay but not as nice as an sx I tried recently and barely any better than a sixty quid Donner I also had a strum on.
    That Rossi replica of yours is superb.
    Thanks! I put a lot of work into it, especially getting an acceptable shade of green. The TOM bridge was an absolute paint to fit. My press drill is decent but not accurate enough to drill a 13mm bit with precision, and it's really a one-shot deal.

Regarding the HB's, I have a good few. My main player for the last 30 years has been my '89 Ibanez Jem VDY. Amazing guitar. As a Steve Vai fan this was my grail. Just as we entered lockdown in 2020 the jack socket wore out, parts were hard to get and music shops were closed. So I bought a HB 8-string fan-fret as a bit of a change and that got me into HB. Since then I have 3 of their Tele's, a PRS-style and their Brian May tribute which has phase switches for each pickup. All play great, some needed a bit of setup and tweaking but I enjoy doing that. The TE-20 is still a bit of a steal at 77 quid although I don't know what shipping costs. Worth keeping an eye on ebay or FB because they come up at silly low prices every now and then.

Thanks! I put a lot of work into it, especially getting an acceptable shade of green. The TOM bridge was an absolute paint to fit. My press drill is decent but not accurate enough to drill a 13mm bit with precision, and it's really a one-shot deal.

Regarding the HB's, I have a good few. My main player for the last 30 years has been my '89 Ibanez Jem VDY. Amazing guitar. As a Steve Vai fan this was my grail. Just as we entered lockdown in 2020 the jack socket wore out, parts were hard to get and music shops were closed. So I bought a HB 8-string fan-fret as a bit of a change and that got me into HB. Since then I have 3 of their Tele's, a PRS-style and their Brian May tribute which has phase switches for each pickup. All play great, some needed a bit of setup and tweaking but I enjoy doing that. The TE-20 is still a bit of a steal at 77 quid although I don't know what shipping costs. Worth keeping an eye on ebay or FB because they come up at silly low prices every now and then.

I didn't know they did a Red Special!
    There is a HB steel hybrid on ebay now for £150 plus £10 p&p. I keep going back to look....

Just in case anyone's in the market for a new guitar, Mark Knopfler's making some space and selling off some of his collection.

Whilst I'd kill for Lot 17, I reckon Lot 42 is the pick of the bunch... a '59 burst in ridiculously good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    Just in case anyone's in the market for a new guitar, Mark Knopfler's making some space and selling off some of his collection.

Whilst I'd kill for Lot 17, I reckon Lot 42 is the pick of the bunch... a '59 burst in ridiculously good condition.
    Jeez! Is he hard up? There are some stunners among that lot.

122 guitars and amps up for sale begs the question, how many will he have left?

Half-hearted apologies for the quality of the photo, taken some time between the releases of Darklands and Surfer Rosa.

A Westone Thunder I-A. Extraordinarily low action, terrible active electronics.

It's only when I settle down with a mug of tea and decide to restring my guitar I remember what a theraputic and satisfying job it is.
    This Sonoran was still fitted with its factory strings which were very heavy and the bottom three strings were very boomy and bass. Playing a bar F or G chord the E, A, and D strings drowned out the others, so I have fitted a set of Adagio extra lights and the transformation is immense. I also took the opportunity to sand the saddle a little lower which has improved the action (not bad to begin with but better now).
    Now, time to finish that tea.

It's only when I settle down with a mug of tea and decide to restring my guitar I remember what a theraputic and satisfying job it is.
    This Sonoran was still fitted with its factory strings which were very heavy and the bottom three strings were very boomy and bass. Playing a bar F or G chord the E, A, and D strings drowned out the others, so I have fitted a set of Adagio extra lights and the transformation is immense. I also took the opportunity to sand the saddle a little lower which has improved the action (not bad to begin with but better now).
    Now, time to finish that tea.

9-42's?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    9-42's?
    0.010-0.047 acoustic
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 19th January 2024 at 16:00.

Master
    Chance to increase your collection:

https://www.christies.com/auction/auction-21929-cks

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Chance to increase your collection:

https://www.christies.com/auction/auction-21929-cks
    At least 25% of the hammer price is going to charity, it says in the '59 Les Paul lot 42 blurb. Very nice gesture.

Craftsman

Recently upgraded my Fender Princeton Reverb ‘64 Custom Handwired to a Two Rock Classic Reverb Signature 100W

This amp is genuinely incredible

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lawler View Post

Recently upgraded my Fender Princeton Reverb ‘64 Custom Handwired to a Two Rock Classic Reverb Signature 100W

This amp is genuinely incredible
    Looks like a great set-up! Great that you have some dedicated space for your guitars, amp(s), pedals etc.

Master
    Anyone watch the Knopfler auction last night? Almost £9 million with guitars hitting record prices. £30k for a 1953 fender amp. Over £690k for a 59 LP

https://www.christies.com/en/events/...ion/what-is-on

Those auction results are insane. Ok, the ‘59 Les Paul was always going to fetch stupid money but a Schecter telecaster estimated at £4-6k going for £277k? WTF? £113k for an R9!? Bonkers. The bargain, if you can call it that, was a 1960 es335 with a top estimate of £80k only going for £88k. Only goes to show that there are an awful lot of people out there with far more money than sense.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Anyone watch the Knopfler auction last night? Almost £9 million with guitars hitting record prices. £30k for a 1953 fender amp. Over £690k for a 59 LP

https://www.christies.com/en/events/...ion/what-is-on

1983 Les Paul went for nearly at much - £592,000. Why?!

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Those auction results are insane. Ok, the ‘59 Les Paul was always going to fetch stupid money but a Schecter telecaster estimated at £4-6k going for £277k? WTF? £113k for an R9!? Bonkers. The bargain, if you can call it that, was a 1960 es335 with a top estimate of £80k only going for £88k. Only goes to show that there are an awful lot of people out there with far more money than sense.

The Red Schecter was used to record Walk of Life apparently. The '83 LP was used on Money for Nothing and Brother's in Arms.
    I guess the Mark Knopfler connection accounts for rather a lot! I'm guessing a lot of the bidders weren't guitarists!

I was rather hoping to get a bid in on the Pensa Suhr MK1 which had an estimate of £6-8k... ultimately went for £504k

They’re bought as memorabilia, is what it comes down to.

He's selling at the right time, as its men aged in their 50's and 60's at the height of their buying powers who will have the biggest Dire Straits nostalgia hit.
    Leave it much later and those same men will be downsizing, decluttering, passing etc and anyone younger won't know who he is.

Master
    But 400k for a Schecter or a 1983 LP? As someone said memorabilia. Listening to the radio recently Supervet Noel Fitzpatrick has the guitar from the the Monkey Wrench video by the Foo Fighters. He collects memorabilia so I can see why prices were what they were. Some of the acoustics looked glorious. The million pound guitar comes when the instruments owned by Page or Richards eventually come to market. Page has his #1 Les Paul gifted to him by Joe Walsh plus the iconic twin neck. Richards is rumoured to have 3000 guitars with many of them one offs or gifts from players.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    But 400k for a Schecter or a 1983 LP? As someone said memorabilia. Listening to the radio recently Supervet Noel Fitzpatrick has the guitar from the the Monkey Wrench video by the Foo Fighters. He collects memorabilia so I can see why prices were what they were. Some of the acoustics looked glorious. The million pound guitar comes when the instruments owned by Page or Richards eventually come to market. Page has his #1 Les Paul gifted to him by Joe Walsh plus the iconic twin neck. Richards is rumoured to have 3000 guitars with many of them one offs or gifts from players.
    And The Beast - that was up for a million last summer before it was withdrawn from sale.

If you like auctions....................

Gibson in London

Last edited by blackal; 23rd February 2024 at 21:09.

Master
    The same day Gibson announce a Page twin neck. Rumoured to be 100,000 pound limited edition. Price tbc

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Gibson in London

Saw that.

I'll definitely have a nosey the next time I am in town.

As an aside my guitar loving Grandson is a big fan of The Darkness and my son got him a personalised birthday video from Justin and Dan Hawkins - he loved it!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

New guitar day!

I fancied a change and am much more of a Strat man nowadays so I went into GG Epsom this morning to chop in my Gibson Les Paul junior for a new Vintera '60s modified in burgundy mist, a colour I really like.

Had to pay £100 on top which was a really good deal for me as I'd only paid £400 for the Junior.

Lovely staff in there and I managed to chat them up for a Fender guitar stand for gratis.

They had no stock at Epsom so it is being delivered to me from Camden tomorrow.

Just a stock pic at the moment I'm afraid but looking forward to tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    New guitar day!

I fancied a change and am much more of a Strat man nowadays so I went into GG Epsom this morning to chop in my Gibson Les Paul junior for a new Vintera '60s modified in burgundy mist, a colour I really like.

Had to pay £100 on top which was a really good deal for me as I'd only paid £400 for the Junior.

Lovely staff in there and I managed to chat them up for a Fender guitar stand for gratis.

Looks lovely. Gorgeous colour.

Master
    New guitar day!

Sounds like a cracking deal. Although I’d have happily given you a good price for the Junior

So it’s Strat Saturday then tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk