closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's see your guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    In a moment of weakness (read madness) I've succumbed and have just bought this.

Pic nicked from the web

Probably shouldn't have really as I already have an early 80's Tokai Springy Sound and a MIM Strat. However I've always liked G&L (George Fullerton and Leo Fender for those that don't know) guitars and it has a coil tap so you can select the bridge and neck pick ups or all three pickups together. You can get a good Telecaster tone out of it. Plus the tremolo system is a lot more stable than a standard Strat.

Looking forward to getting to know it more.

Cheers,
    Gary

P.S. G and L are my initials too, so I just had to really : )

I really rate G&L's too I think the Tribute series especially are outstanding guitars for the money and I definitely prefer them to Fender although I am not a big fan of the G&L MFD pickups which is why mine have all been changed.
    Last edited by Groundrush; 11th April 2018 at 11:54.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    The body is a scaled down version of the Taylor GS Neil, but it's only a little less deep. The scale length is only 23.5 inches, so a full 2 inches shorter than a standard neck. All of this makes it a lot more comfortable for me in terms of what chords I can reach and it sits very comfortably on my lap, of course the larger gent might not like this at all! ;-) The fit and finish is superb, as you'd expect from Taylor, and the shorter scale with a lovely low action makes playing the medium gauge Elixirs feel very light, almost like an electric. The comparatively deep body and large sound hole means the guitar still has a full bodied sound. There's no bracing on the back, which is laminated Koa (as are the sides) for strength and stability and is pressure formed with a curve to it, which helps project the sound. Here's a picture I pinched off tinternet, with a GS Mini between a Baby Taylor and a full sized guitar. I'll take some pics of mine next to my S&P dreadnought and post here in due course.

Very illuminating Bob.

Enjoy your new guitar!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    In a moment of weakness (read madness) I've succumbed and have just bought this.

Pic nicked from the web

Probably shouldn't have really as I already have an early 80's Tokai Springy Sound and a MIM Strat. However I've always liked G&L (George Fullerton and Leo Fender for those that don't know) guitars and it has a coil tap so you can select the bridge and neck pick ups or all three pickups together. You can get a good Telecaster tone out of it. Plus the tremolo system is a lot more stable than a standard Strat.

Looking forward to getting to know it more.

Cheers,
    Gary

P.S. G and L are my initials too, so I just had to really : )
    You like a Strat don't you Gary?

Looks lovely.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I really rate G&L's too I think the Tribute series especially are outstanding guitars for the money and I definitely prefer them to Fender although I am not a big fan of the G&L MFD pickups which is why mine have all been changed.
    Agree completely about the Tribute series being outstanding VFM. I understand that all the hardware is exactly the same as the US built guitars and they're assembled in the US but the body and neck are made in Indonesia.

May I ask why you're not keen on the MFD pickups? They don't seem to offer that high end glassy shimmer as my MIM Strat or Tokai but then I've got that sound covered. I did seriously contemplate getting a Legacy but it would have been more of the same really.

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    You like a Strat don't you Gary?

Looks lovely.
    Thanks Neil and yes, just a bit : )

I think it's because my first serious guitar was my Tokai, bought when I was a mere strap of a lad aged 18. 34 years later and I've tried lots of other guitars but still prefer that Strat sound, it's just so distinctive and it's an incredibly versatile guitar.

Cheers,
    Gary

I don't suppose anyone here can recommend a guitar shop in London can they?

I have a 2008 USA strat which is in serious need of a full set up.
    Sounds fantastic but it's a real dog to play.

Quote Originally Posted by will852 View Post

I think I'm right in saying a forum member here called ghosty has a London based guitar shop. Never dealt with Mike but by all accounts he's a top bloke. Hope that helps getting your Strat set up.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by will852 View Post

Where are you?

Guitar Aid in Putney is my local. Great guys and first rate service.

I use Charlie Chandler in Hampton Wick (Kingston). Can't recommend them highly enough.

Whereabouts in London?

In South London Feline guitars in Croydon is excellent. Does work for names and makes his own highly esteemed pieces too.

Likewise Flame guitars in Sutton.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

benwoodroffe
    this is my fender strat.

its a made in mexico, just checked from 1992 - 1993 - so it's 25 blinking years old ! ouch.

had a few bits done to it over the years - best thing being adding bare knuckle pickups which was money very well spent

love the way it's aged and all that sentimental nonsense i have for the old thing also.

got some others that i might snap and post soon also but this is the one.

^^^

Nice.

I do like Oly white and maple.

Reminds me of Jimi.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

benwoodroffe
    ^^^

Nice.

Reminds me of Jimi.
    Thanks, yep Hendrix was the primary reason for buying, I was mad on him for years, learnt to play little wing, voodoo chile & wind cries Mary all the way through (solos and all) back then. Couldn't even get close nowadays...

^^^

Nice.

Reminds me of Jimi.
    Quote Originally Posted by benwoodroffe View Post
    Thanks, yep Hendrix was the primary reason for buying, I was mad on him for years, learnt to play little wing, voodoo chile & wind cries Mary all the way through (solos and all) back then. Couldn't even get close nowadays...

Yes you can. Just practise a lot, I'm enjoying myself immensely with my new Taylor.
    F.T.F.A.

Yes you can. Just practise a lot, I'm enjoying myself immensely with my new Taylor.
    New stuff always gives me a boost too Bob.

Haven't bought anything lately.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

benwoodroffe
    thanks, yep it's all in there somewhere still.

Master
    I recently picked up an Ibanez RGR420EX which I'll admit I purchased on looks alone (being brought up on 80's metal/rock) but it's actually really nice to play.

My boy has being playing since May last year and although still seven he's outgrown his 3/4 guitar and the old Flying V is awkward to play unless you are standing up. For Christmas we purchased him an Epiphone SG Pro which I got new on eBay for less than £200. Not an exotic guitar by any means but superb value for the money.

As with many kids nowadays he spends time on YouTube and he's set up his own channel for playing the guitar - mainly so he can share with various relatives around the country. His first two efforts are here and even you seasoned players may need some tuition on Long Black Road ;-)

Really good to see your son enjoying it so much. The SG is a good choice too, and your son's about the same size as Angus Young.

One thing that did make me cringe slightly was this; as a general rule, it's not a good idea to drill directly above or below an electrical switch or socket (unless you know exactly where the cables run).

Master
    A little sofa shot.

2010 Les Paul Junior, 1996 American Standard Strat, 2014 Les Paul Classic which has been modded to 'standard' spec. It has a JB in the bridge and the PCB gubbins have been replaced by a traditional wiring loom with CTS pots.

The Junior has a really nice dark fretboard, I have been advised that it might well be ebony (as a special run in 2010) but i'm not 100% sure on that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Really good to see your son enjoying it so much. The SG is a good choice too, and your son's about the same size as Angus Young.

One thing that did make me cringe slightly was this; as a general rule, it's not a good idea to drill directly above or below an electrical switch or socket (unless you know exactly where the cables run).
    Yes, good advice but not to worry in this particular instance. There is a load of AV cabling on that wall and I photographed it all prior to it being dry-lined.

You must be very proud of your boy Benny. Tell him I enjoyed his lesson.

I do find using an angled plug on a Gibson at the guitar can stop catching it on the sofa etc.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    A little sofa shot.

2010 Les Paul Junior, 1996 American Standard Strat, 2014 Les Paul Classic which has been modded to 'standard' spec. It has a JB in the bridge and the PCB gubbins have been replaced by a traditional wiring loom with CTS pots.

The Junior has a really nice dark fretboard, I have been advised that it might well be ebony (as a special run in 2010) but i'm not 100% sure on that.
    Very nice. I like the white Junior.

We have similar tastes.

Cheers,
    Neil.

This arrived earlier, Taylor GS Mini Koa with ES2 electrics, my can this wee thing ring and sustain a note.....

I have a GS Mini as well, a Spruce top, and it's just superb for noodling on the sofa. Still can't believe the sound that comes out of it for such a small Guitar. I pick this up far more than any other Guitar at the moment.

Master
    You must be very proud of your boy Benny. Tell him I enjoyed his lesson.

I do find using an angled plug on a Gibson at the guitar can stop catching it on the sofa etc.
    Very proud thanks mate and I'll certainly pass on your comment

I've told him to use the angled cable as many times as I've told him to use a plectrum but like every seven year old, he knows best!!

Back into guitar playing, sore fingers etc etc, so I start looking around the internet at guitar stuff and chance upon harp guitars. As if it's not already hard enough............. ;-)

F.T.F.A.

Guitar

This was my last 'buying weakness'; don't let people persuade you that standards are dropping, just not true! This LP Supreme looks and plays beautifully; note it has standard tuners and zero fret.

Paultje.
    Last edited by paultje; 28th February 2017 at 22:04.

Master
    Just added this one - Fender Strat "Big Block" - named for the block inlays in lieu of the usual dots. HSS configuration and a single tone control instead of the usual two. Produced in 2005 and probably around 250 or so made (in Mexico). A bit more muscular looking than the average Strat and similar to the LE Iron Maiden version.

Last edited by benny.c; 30th June 2017 at 13:24.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Just added this one - Fender Strat "Big Block" - named for the block inlays in lieu of the usual dots. HSS configuration and a single tone control instead of the usual two. Produced in 2005 and probably around 250 or so made (in Mexico). A bit more muscular looking than the average Strat and similar to the LE Iron Maiden version.

Your pics don't seem to be showing...

Master
    Photobucket are charging for third party hosting now apparently I've just swapped to postimage so hopefully OK now?

Photobucket are charging for third party hosting now apparently I've just swapped to postimage so hopefully OK now?
    Yep, can see them fine.

That looks a bit rockin'.

Re Photobucket, I use them all over the place and have never been charged.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Yeah, no Buddy Holly or 50s pastel shades here

(The photobucket thing has only recently happened I believe - http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...otobucket-p500 )

Yeah, no Buddy Holly or 50s pastel shades here

(The photobucket thing has only recently happened I believe - http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...otobucket-p500 )
    Funnily enough that is exactly what I have Strat-wise....

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Nice

It's funny how the same model can look so different.

Nice

It's funny how the same model can look so different.
    Two different models.

The sunburst is a '89 US Standard and the Cerulean blue is a Classic '60's.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Two different models.

They both look great!

Master
    Betcha no-one else has one of these!

Original Burns Steer. Jim Burns signature scratched/engraved on the neck plate. Said to have been only 40 made. And bought for half the price of a new American Strat.

(Foam insert needs replacing; it's gone off. The guitar is heavy enough and in the flight case it's horrendous!)

^^^

Never seen one before David.

Is it a cross between a spanish acoustic and an electric?

Is it fully hollow?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Two different models.

Sorry, I meant a Strat in general. 1000s of different looks over the years.

Master
    Not sure what the construction is but it is basically solid body with a small chamber. I have no idea if that was just a design feature but it's certainly not acoustic (although I have seen it referred optimistically to as semi-acoustic). I'm not an expert but Jim Burns was a flawed genius who enjoyed some success in the 1960s and I think this model came out as the Burns name was being resurrected briefly in the late 70's/early 80's.

The repro is described here http://www.burnsguitars.com/steer.php as having "two body cavities" but those weigh about the same as a solid body guitar and, as I said, my original weighs a ton!

The neck feels massive so it's not particularly playable for me. Still, a little bit of British guitar history.

^^^

Never seen one before David.

Is it a cross between a spanish acoustic and an electric?

Is it fully hollow?

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Not sure what the construction is but it is basically solid body with a small chamber. I have no idea if that was just a design feature but it's certainly not acoustic (although I have seen it referred optimistically to as semi-acoustic). I'm not an expert but Jim Burns was a flawed genius who enjoyed some success in the 1960s and I think this model came out as the Burns name was being resurrected briefly in the late 70's/early 80's.

The repro is described here http://www.burnsguitars.com/steer.php as having "two body cavities" but those weigh about the same as a solid body guitar and, as I said, my original weighs a ton!

The neck feels massive so it's not particularly playable for me. Still, a little bit of British guitar history.
    It certainly is, and you can bet that nobody here owns one of those!

Never seen one myself.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    This is a rather more recognisable Burns - the Flyte! Concorde inspired, allegedly.

The model used occasionally by Marc Bolan and more rarely by Dave Hill of Slade.

http://www.hendrixguitars.com/Va484.htm

Master
    And my very first "proper" electric, bought new for £235. It's a 1978 so bought '78 or '79.

Master
    And if you can't play 'em, just call yourself a collector.

1963 Lake Placid Blue Fender Jaguar.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    And if you can't play 'em, just call yourself a collector.

1963 Lake Placid Blue Fender Jaguar.

You're a collector alright David!

Some lovely stuff there.

That Jag!!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Got this yesterday, a Godin Kingpin. Always fancied an archtop for my attempts at jazz and blues playing. Early days but so far I'm impressed, sounds good acoustically (not plugged it in yet) and stays in tune well. I might lower the action a tad over the weekend but it's not as difficult to play as I'd imagined. Needs a decent set of flatwound strings as you tend to slide rather than bend.

I love the oiled finish of the body

Looking forward to getting to grips with it a bit more over the weekend.

Cheers,
    Gary

Ooooh, that's lovely Gary - you old jazzer .

Looks like a Gibson ES 125 which is a good thing.

The finish is gorgeous.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Thanks mate

And you're right it's obviously heavily influenced by the ES 125, even the shape on the bridge.

It comes in a natural colour too, which I really like, but then this one came up on ebay at less than half the RRP. In hindsight I think I prefer the cognac sunburst colour of my example. Comes in a substantial but lightweight case too, a kind of compressed polystyrene with a nylon outer.

Cheers,
    Gary

So decided to embrace my inner Jamerson and go down the sunburst/rosewood Fender Precision route. 2008 American Standard, string through bridge, rolled fingerboard, graphite-reinforced neck, great, great sound

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    So decided to embrace my inner Jamerson and go down the sunburst/rosewood Fender Precision route. 2008 American Standard, string through bridge, rolled fingerboard, graphite-reinforced neck, great, great sound

Nice! You got flats on it?

Quote Originally Posted by tredders View Post
    Nice! You got flats on it?
    Absolutely - only LaBellas will do. Can't beat a good Precision with flats.