closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grand Seiko

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Re: Grand Seiko

$8000?

I'm missing something. Never seen one that much.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrcrowley
    $8000?

I'm missing something. Never seen one that much.
    It can be had online for about $6.5K plus UK tax ... which takes it not that far from $8K.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

there are two things which i don't like about the spring drive.

1) the movement is relatively thick
    2) i wish Seiko would design a model that did not have the PR indicator on the dial

i've a bigger dislike for #1 and i might possibly get used to #2 but so far, i haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just
    I believe the springdrive is the greatest innovation in the last 30 years of watchmaking.
    The GS automatic compares to a Rolex. The Springdrive puts it in a different league...
    +1
    Spring drive is an amazing innovation.
    It is not only technically fantastic, it brings a precision never seen before, and a huge power reserve.
    And no need to mention the visual effect of the second hand.

A delightful innovation. One of the early doubters, who I shall not name and shame, has confessed he nearly purchased one recently whilst on a trip of dubious intent to Bangkok.

Answer sir.

Grand Seiko's are seriously 8)

Craftsman

I'm afraid I've never really seen the appeal of the grand seiko. The couple I have tried on left me somewhat underwhelmed.

i like it!!! cheers simon

Master

Quote Originally Posted by daborg06
    I think some of the finish on those Seikos is quite special, but overall, as a sum of parts, they don't impress.
    Given the technical innovation, history and 100% in-house everything, arguably the sum of the parts alone puts them in the top league. Some don't appeal to me at all, but I would love to own one of those that do.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Denizen
    2) i wish Seiko would design a model that did not have the PR indicator on the dial
    Ditto on this. I wish that the PR is a little bit discrete (something like PAM233) or none at all.

In any case, one GS I am saving up for is this baby:

Craftsman

Re: yeah..the dial and bracelet are very ugly and evil...

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic
    pic copied from other watch site.

Other halloween pics from here:
    http://www.grandseiko.net/mechanical/sbgr001.html

Oh god….
    5 more years I am ready to get one of this babies.
    The holy grail for the seikoholics!

Eric

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

i am lucky, i bought this recently in sydney
    beautiful watch and oozes quality
    also gleams when the sun hits those indices

Quote Originally Posted by tmilligan
    I'm afraid I've never really seen the appeal of the grand seiko. The couple I have tried on left me somewhat underwhelmed.
    Yes, I sense sir may be more comfortable with something from the Cartier range.

Hi,
    I have one GS. :)
    I've had (and still have) several differents swiss brands, among them, Omega, Rolex, Iwc and Jlc.

I now have a GS SBGM001.
    The less I can say is : none of the swiss watches I have or had are built like the GS.

The bracelet on my GS is nice, not to heavy, not to light.
    It is not as heavy as the Omega Bracelet, not light as Rolex's, but it is well made.
    Of course it is 316L steel, same steel you can find on the Sumo (or even Chinese replicas)...and on Patek Philip watches..

And don't forget titanium is way lighter than steel, it always produced a strange feeling.

The SBGM001 is one of nicest GMTs out there IMHO. Quite sad that it is discontinued.

All of those who are reluctant to the Seiko image, are the same to claim Spring Drive watches are not 100% mechanical (which is true), and so, not very interesting.
    I'm not reluctant to Seiko ( wearing a MM) but prefer fully mechanical movements. :roll:

At the risk of being accused of opportunism....... mine is still for sale !

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=176598

Craftsman

Beautiful, hope someday a GS "Snowflake" will finish my little collection of :)

Quote Originally Posted by hopak

The SBGM003 is stunning, but from your footer I recon that it was replaced by the GW-M5600?

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by proby24
    ... Build quality was alright but the bracelet felt cheap and aesthetically it looked no different than their 200 buck models.

What's all the fuss about?
    I totally agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Bender
    Beautiful, hope someday a GS "Snowflake" will finish my little collection of :)
    Yeah same here although I think I will have to wait and try and find a mint second hand one.. New prices are a bit too steep for me..

I think the GS (here in western europe at least) is in the "marmite" arena. Engineering and quality control are second to none whilst styling might leave you distinctly unimpressed. Just like the Datsun 240Z back in the day.

Master

If grand seiko watches had a rolex written on the dial they'd cost 50% more and we'd all be raving about the engineering a and craftsmanship. there's still too much snobbery vs non Swiss brands

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHarrison
    Quote Originally Posted by hopak

The SBGM003 is stunning, but from your footer I recon that it was replaced by the GW-M5600?
    Not replaced by, but sitting alongside the GS as another example of Japanese genius.

Craftsman

I've often been tempted by one of these. The one on SC does look exceptionally nice, but what worries is the servicing aspect. Don't these need servicing every 3 years and some sort of extortionate cost combined with a trip to japan?

I used to be a non believer. I wouldn't have spent big money on a Seiko. But after doing some reading and research I'm actually now building a Seiko collection.

Started small with a monster, birth year chronograph, tuna and a samurai. Next up is a white dial springdrive ananta GMT, then hopefully my first Grand Seiko.

Seeing someone with a Rolex does nothing for me, but a high end Seiko wearer would get my attention.

Lovely watches.

Grand Seiko

Funnily enough I just had my first up close experience of Grand Seikos and I have to say I was very impressed. Even from a distance the quality was evident and up close even more so. If funds allowed I'd definitely pick one up.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky7
    I used to be a non believer. I wouldn't have spent big money on a Seiko. But after doing some reading and research I'm actually now building a Seiko collection.

Started small with a monster, birth year chronograph, tuna and a samurai. Next up is a white dial springdrive ananta GMT, then hopefully my first Grand Seiko.

Seeing someone with a Rolex does nothing for me, but a high end Seiko wearer would get my attention.

+1
    im waiting for the right 300m marine master,then onto a gs.

Lovely watches.