closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Jenson Button

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Jenson Button

I know there is another thread but he deserves his own.

Is he English? Yes. Is he British? Yes. Would I celebrate it even more if he was Scottish? No. It's irrelevant, he drove like he wanted to win and he did win, top bloke!

Pleased for his Dad too, great shots of them together at the end, had a lump in my [s:1agsacxu]trousers[/s:1agsacxu] throat :D

Well done Jenson :)
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Master

Re: Jenson Button

I totally agree....two brits in a row. How good is that. I can see some more wins to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey
    had a lump in my pants
    Not again?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob
    had a lump in my pants
    Not again?
    surgery may help? :shock:

I know there is another thread but he deserves his own.

Is he English? Yes. Is he British? Yes. Would I celebrate it even more if he was Scottish? No. It's irrelevant, he drove like he wanted to win and he did win, top bloke!

Pleased for his Dad too, great shots of them together at the end, had a lump in my [s:avr5l8uj]trousers[/s:avr5l8uj] throat :D

Well done Jenson :)
    Good to see an F1 driver/team win the honest way.

The Gaffer for brawn (forgot his name) needs a medal TBH

had a lump in my pants
    Not again?
    was it the front or the back though :shock: :lol:

The Gaffer for brawn (forgot his name) needs a medal TBH
    Ross Brawn (funnily enough).

Cheers,

Yes, fantastic achievement - as an Englishman, i see it as a British victory too.

Certainly consider Jim Clark & Jackie Stewart as great British champions too though may have drawn the line at DC!!

Ross Brawn deserves a knighthood!

Cheers

Paul

PS - dont mean it about DC - think i even had one of his hats at one stage!!

As an englishman I always supported Coulthard so it makes no difference to me, we cant afford to be too picky let's face it :wink:
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Great Job Jenson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really pleased for him but have you noticed how it's not been given as much press coverage as when Lewis Hamilton won last year. He should be up for BBC Sports Personality of the year hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by richardhurst
    Really pleased for him but have you noticed how it's not been given as much press coverage as when Lewis Hamilton won last year. He should be up for BBC Sports Personality of the year hopefully
    Probably because he's not sha**ing some money grabbing ugly bint from Pussycat Dolls.

Well deserved for Jenson, he actually made F1 worth watching this year.

Craftsman

Some of the driving yesterday was superb, and JB's overtaking was brilliant, edge of the seat stuff. If F1 could be like this over a whole season it would be the spectacle it should be as the supposed pinnacle of motorsport. Anway, well done Jenson! Top marks for Ross Brawn for mentioning the people the team had to let go too.

Good post Derek, i was thinking the exact same thing yesterday, what is it with the "English" vibe - aren't we all BRITISH :?: :?

(BTW clearly i am no SNP fan...)

Master

had a lump in my pants
    Not again?
    was it the front or the back though :shock: :lol:
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fantastic race from Button, I for one was glad to see the chamionship sorted before the last race as I didn't want a repeat of last years tension. Wish we could have overtaking action like that in every race though.... Jensen has provided a fair bit of the action in that sense this year - it beats the processions that have been F1 races for too many years.

There's an interesting article on the BBC website for those still in doubt about his abilities.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 312844.stm

Cheers,

Gary

Interlagos was fatastic race - rather than the usual procession.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and was very pleased Button fulfilled his potential. Just goes to show that nice guys don't have to finish last.

Well done JB.

Master

Jenson Button - a truely worthy and deserving World Drivers Champion 2009, having led the Championship from start to finish....................it doesnt and can't get any better than that in anyones books.

FANTASTIC ACHIEVEMENT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary
    There's an interesting article on the BBC website for those still in doubt about his abilities.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 312844.stm

Cheers,

Gary
    Interesting read Gary

Thankfully a world champion with a bit of character unlike boringpants Hamilton, I loved his Yeah Baby Yaeh when he was being interviewed. Top bloke who you could go down the pub and talk watches and cars to with no "check me out" I'm brilliant. Well done Jensen :D
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON
    Thankfully a world champion with a bit of character unlike boringpants Hamilton, I loved his Yeah Baby Yaeh when he was being interviewed. Top bloke who you could go down the pub and talk watches and cars to with no "check me out" I'm brilliant. Well done Jensen :D
    I totally agree. Hamilton is a master wheelman who has grown up no-end this year after having to come back to the real world. He is just a marketing machine though, never any real emotion or much insight into him as a person.
    Button struggled with his reputation early on (and who wouldn't with millions in the bank @ 20yrs old!) but has shown himself able to deliver and maintain consistency when it matters.

The race yesterday was excellent, the start had me right on the edge of my seat and some of those overtakes required balls of steel!

Lets hope Abu Dahbi is interesting and can see Rubens reclaim second place.

Jenson must get BBC sports personality?

Master

Sniff Petrol got this one wrong but it made me chuckle at the time

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by fivesixseven8
    I totally agree. Hamilton is a master wheelman who has grown up no-end this year after having to come back to the real world. He is just a marketing machine though, never any real emotion or much insight into him as a person.
    Button struggled with his reputation early on (and who wouldn't with millions in the bank @ 20yrs old!) but has shown himself able to deliver and maintain consistency when it matters.

The race yesterday was excellent, the start had me right on the edge of my seat and some of those overtakes required balls of steel!

Isn't this normally the case with any driver whilst there with Mclaren.
    There not allowed personalities whilst driving for them.but when they leave its a different story, DC went a bit wild looking when he moved on to Redbull.
    Might be a bit different now that Ron Dennis is not running the shop anymore.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Good post Derek, i was thinking the exact same thing yesterday, what is it with the "English" vibe - aren't we all BRITISH :?: :?

That was me who made the post about the english remark! (i think) I just hope it wasnt taken the wrong way. :o

I am not saying anything bad against the scots, welsh, irish (i have scottish and welsh in the family) but it bugs me to see DC with the st andrews flag on his helmet yet button flies the union jack! I suppose it is his helmet and he paints it how he sees fit too. 8)

It is just one of my pet hates. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by pete higham

That was me who made the post about the english remark! (i think) I just hope it wasnt taken the wrong way. :o

I am not saying anything bad against the scots, welsh, irish (i have scottish and welsh in the family) but it bugs me to see DC with the st andrews flag on his helmet yet button flies the union jack! I suppose it is his helmet and he paints it how he sees fit too. 8)

It is just one of my pet hates. :lol:
    There were a few comments like this, so not just you mate :wink:

I just find it odd how people make this "he's ours" type comment - and i realise Scots/Welsh/Irish do it plenty too - but put it this way, i'd paint my helmet with the Union Jack before the Saltire, as i consider myself to be a Brit first and a Scot second :D

but put it this way, i'd paint my helmet with the Union Jack before the Saltire, as i consider myself to be a Brit first and a Scot second :D
    That was the first thing I noticed about Coulthard. Put me right off him. It's like down here in the south, people have little Saltire stickers on the back of their cars. If they like the place so much, they should go back and live there ffs. :)

as i consider myself to be a Brit first and a Scot second :D
    I understand the sentiment but totally disagree. I am Scottish first (with a bit of German and Russian thrown in :lol: ) British second. Nothing wrong with being proud of where you are from IMO

completly agree with the post, well pleased for Jenson and Brawn, am happy for any british driver to do well although i more of a fan of Lewis this season than i was last season, in the face of defeat he seems to have become a more humble person.

Funny thing is that F1 is one of the only sport i see no difference in British vs english. Now without upsetting any of my scottish friends on the forum when it comes to other sports such as tennis and Andy Murrary for example, to me he is a Scot, i dont care if he wins or loses and i don't much care for him, if he is playing Nadal i cheer for Nadal not becuase murray is a scot but becuase he comes across as a moody tos@er! Although that said, even if he was a nice guy him winning wimbledon would mean nothing to me becuase apart from F1 i dont really support British, i support England.

Nothing wrong with being proud of where you are from IMO
    I have my location as UK, rather than England, but that's probably just to confuse the Americans (who, coincidentally, think Scotland is somewhere in the middle of France).

Blog Entries

that's probably just to confuse the Americans (who, coincidentally, think Scotland is somewhere in the middle of France).
    I find that most Americans I meet do seem to know where Scotland is -- so many of them claim to have Scottisah ancestors so they see Scotland as 'home' and actually know a few facts about it (although many of them still seem to think that ATMs and central heating won't be found there). But do they know where Wales is? Not a chance. Never heard of it.

And as for the Germans... I used to work in a factory in Wales and we had very long term Gerrman business partners. They'd regularly send shipments over addressed to "factory name, Maesteg, Wales, England". No matter how much we told them that Wales was not in England but was, in fact, part of Großbritannien, they still couldn't get it. This did not endear our Welsh employees to the Germans.

P.S. I apologise to any American or German readers who may be offended by my experiences. ;-)

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by herusix
    Quote Originally Posted by fivesixseven8

Isn't this normally the case with any driver whilst there with Mclaren.
    There not allowed personalities whilst driving for them.but when they leave its a different story, DC went a bit wild looking when he moved on to Redbull.
    Might be a bit different now that Ron Dennis is not running the shop anymore.
    Completely! A close friend of my wife worked for McLaren and quite closely with Ron for a good few years in the early 00's. Some of the stories of control and behaviour that were dictated and had to be strictly adhered to were bordering on the bizarre.
    The McLaren F1 team seem a totally different entity now, music blaring from iPods in the paddock, cocktails being served from the motorhome, these would never have happened under RD. It is good to see Whitmarsh can really make the team his own.
    I'll be curious to see how Kimi is if he goes back there as rumoured. Mr Magnum is famous for his dislike of PR crap and just wants to drive, have an ice cream then go home to drink some vodka. I wonder how it will balance with the McLaren PR machine second time round?

Journeyman

well done Jenson and all the team at Brawn - a fantastic job all season.

Master

Well done to all of them on the team. Amazing to say that none of them had jobs a few months back. Ross Brawn stood above the parapet, took it off Honda's hands who lost interest, 600 guys jobs at stake, honour at stake, money at stake, pride at stake, turned it around and won. What a fantastic success story