closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Alternatives to stowa

Alternatives to stowa

Hi,

I really like some of the stowas, particularly the clean looks of the Marine Automatic.

I have a sinn 556 (from this very forum) which I like for the same reason.

However, the stowas are a little more than I want to spend at the moment and don't come up for sale second hand very often.

Any suggestions for something similar?

cheers,
    Mark

Master

Re: Alternatives to stowa

You could buy the parts from Roland Kremmer (ebay 'Erkahund') and build your own (or get a watchmaker to do it like I did :wink: ).

High quality S/S case with AR sapphire, enamel dial, blued hands & ETA or Seagull movement....

Cheers :)

Quote Originally Posted by marg
    Hi,

I really like some of the stowas, particularly the clean looks of the Marine Automatic.

However, the stowas are a little more than I want to spend at the moment and don't come up for sale second hand very often.

cheers,
    Mark

Keep your money. save a little more. Get the Stowa.

If the Stowa is what you want, and you go for anything else, you will always have a small voice telling you you have an ersatz.
    Although I must admit Dapper's is a beauty :D
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Journeyman

That erkahund kit watch looks great. How does it wear on the wrist? I was thinking of buying it myself, was just a bit worried it might be too big.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrFranklin
    That erkahund kit watch looks great. How does it wear on the wrist? I was thinking of buying it myself, was just a bit worried it might be too big.
    Here's a pic of it on my 8" wrist........

........42mm & 22mm lugs is probably just right for this style :D

Journeyman

Thanks for the photo. I think I might just get away with a watch that big. I normally prefer smaller watches, I just love the clean style and blue hands of that one.

It's a no brainer for me, it's got to be a Parnis. £50 delivered from ebay.

Master

Stowa, the poor mans Dornbleuth IMHO

Dave

Picture borrowed.

Kemners homages are worth a try, as already said above:

The Erkahundmariner :lol:
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales

Dave

Picture borrowed.

Is this more expensive than the Stowa? :?:

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Wales

Dave

Picture borrowed.

Is this more expensive than the Stowa? :?:
    Just a little bit.

About 3 times the price. Or even 4 times. :lol:

Master

HOw about a Steinhart Marine B-Uhr

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/index.ph ... _ID=26#185

See, I'm trying to convince myself I'd be happy with the Stowa and don't need a Dornbluth. Then you go and call the Stowa a "poor man's Dornbluth". You've probably just cost me a couple of thousand pounds! :roll:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by dan d
    See, I'm trying to convince myself I'd be happy with the Stowa and don't need a Dornbluth. Then you go and call the Stowa a "poor man's Dornbleuth". You've probably just cost me a couple of thousand pounds! :roll:
    I'm sure you wont regret it :D

Dave

Guinand (Helmut Sinn):

İ basaltkopp @ watchlounge

Eur 395.

nomos tangomat

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Unfortunately I can't see most of the pictures at work (it blocks the typical image hosting sites), but I can see that Nomos and it looks really good. Googling now...

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just
    Hi,

cheers,
    Mark

Keep your money. save a little more. Get the Stowa.

If the Stowa is what you want, and you go for anything else, you will always have a small voice telling you you have an ersatz.
    Although I must admit Dapper's is a beauty :D
    Actually what I'd really like is an IWC of some persuasion, not knowledgeable enough about them to know the various models though. The stowa's my fallback :wink:

Oh wait, not to worry, they're going for £90 now...

http://www.gumtree.com/london/85/47323985.html

:lol:

Came across this while googling, seems like there's barely a legit watch on the whole of gumtree :roll:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper
    You could buy the parts from Roland Kremmer (ebay 'Erkahund') and build your own (or get a watchmaker to do it like I did :wink: ).

High quality S/S case with AR sapphire, enamel dial, blued hands & ETA or Seagull movement....

Whilst I very much like the end result doesn't this work out quite costly if you go down the Seagull movement route when the Parnis can be brought built for less? If there is a difference in teh quality of the two options I would like to know as I could be tempted by oe or other routes (miss my Stowa but needed the money :-))

I've been looking at some of his auctions, but not speaking German or knowing anyone who could put this together I feel a bit out of my depth.

The one you've got looks really good though. How accurate do you find it?

Love the look of the top one, and looking on ebay right now...

Do you have one?

Love the look of the top one, and looking on ebay right now...

Do you have one?
    Not yet, but I'm almost there. Here's the one I've been watching, comes with free delivery as well :D
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Master

I've been looking at some of his auctions, but not speaking German or knowing anyone who could put this together I feel a bit out of my depth.

The one you've got looks really good though. How accurate do you find it?
    Steve Burrage at 'Rytetime' built mine. He also regulated the excellent Seagull movement so timekeeping is spot-on :)
    He'd give you a quote on the phone so you'd be able to work out the overall project cost.

Craftsman

See, I'm trying to convince myself I'd be happy with the Stowa and don't need a Dornbluth. Then you go and call the Stowa a "poor man's Dornbluth". You've probably just cost me a couple of thousand pounds! :roll:
    I ordered a 99.1 after initially falling in love with the Stowa MO. Then I spotted the Dornbluth on this forum and realised I would never be satisfied with the Stowa. I'm sure the MO or MA is beautifully finished - I have a Stowa Flieger and it is fantastic (and their customer service is great).

The Dornbluth is in a different league though. I ordered one in July and I spoke with Dirk today. He is expecting to assemble my 99.1 next week. After 4 long months of waiting, it should be delivered in the next two weeks.

You can't go wrong with either of them. Good luck

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tenpasten
    I ordered a 99.1 after initially falling in love with the Stowa MO. Then I spotted the Dornbluth on this forum and realised I would never be satisfied with the Stowa. I'm sure the MO or MA is beautifully finished - I have a Stowa Flieger and it is fantastic (and their customer service is great).

The Dornbluth is in a different league though. I ordered one in July and I spoke with Dirk today. He is expecting to assemble my 99.1 next week. After 4 long months of waiting, it should be delivered in the next two weeks.

I have a Stowa MO, and am more than happy with it for the lineage, the Dörnbleuth will be a far better watch, but it has no military lineage. If anything, the Dörnbleuth is a higher qualIty homage to the Stowa MO IMHO, rather that the MO being the poor mans Dörnbleuth.

Stowa are nice watches - I've just the one, a Stowa Antea. Nice simple design , very clean and easy to read. Went for the COSC option - just because I'd never had a COSC certified watch before.

Nick

I could also make you up those same watches with ETA or seagull, And as people said in a previous post they dont know about my quality, i would be able to assemble and post you the watch, and if you were not happy you can simply return it in original condition or make the payment, at least for one member of this board, I am sure that you would be happy as all my parts come from the same supplier as Stowa ect.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by bydandie
    Quote Originally Posted by tenpasten

I have a Stowa MO, and am more than happy with it for the lineage, the Dörnbleuth will be a far better watch, but it has no military lineage. If anything, the Dörnbleuth is a higher qualIty homage to the Stowa MO IMHO, rather that the MO being the poor mans Dörnbleuth.

The Dörnbleuth is a handsome piece but I'm not convinced that it's a 'far' better watch, though certainly far more expensive :D

The 'Erkahund' case is probably as good as you'd find anywhere :wink:

Master

The Dörnbleuth is a handsome piece but I'm not convinced that it's a 'far' better watch, though certainly far more expensive :D

The 'Erkahund' case is probably as good as you'd as you'd find anywhere :wink:
    With the Dornblueth you are paying for the amount of semie manual labour gone into the movement, finishing and decorating giving the watch a superb look and finish. German Labour costs money compared to Chinese and Swiss mass production in the watches like the Erkahund and Stowa.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Schuhren
    I could also make you up those same watches with ETA or seagull, And as people said in a previous post they dont know about my quality, i would be able to assemble and post you the watch, and if you were not happy you can simply return it in original condition or make the payment, at least for one member of this board, I am sure that you would be happy as all my parts come from the same supplier as Stowa ect.
    Hi Andy, please excuse the stupid question but what's the main differences between ETA and seagull movements?

As a result of this thread I've ended up buying 2 watches from ebay already, but you never know there could be room for more... would you be able to PM me any ideas on typical prices?

cheers,
    Mark

The ETA movements are made in ETA factory's (i tend not to believe that every thing labeled ETA is made in Switzerland) some were in the world and the seagull movements are made in asia and are a direct copy (legal as the patent has expired) of the ETA/Unitas 6479/8 pocket watch movement running @ 21600 beats per hour, the cheapest ETA i can get with a basic flat finish costs twice what the decorated seagull costs but only runs at 18000 bph the newer ETA 6497/8 running @ 21600 are generally twice the price of the slower beat movements.

I have found that the seagulls out of the box are well made, reliable and very hard wearing with a number of interchangeable parts from its ETA version. Personal y i would rather have the value for money over the ETA label.

Thanks, that's very informative

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Steve's Dad
    Just looked that up and its very cheap. Do you have one, or know much about them?

And its the same price for a chronograph!

http://www.hercwatch.com/en-us/products ... H%20217BK/

Master

That's not a chronograph, the subdials are 24rs, date & day - the 'pusher's are for setting :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve's Dad
    Just looked that up and its very cheap. Do you have one, or know much about them?
    SHORT HAND SYNDROME!!! :x

Don't know much about HERCs I'm afraid but I'm sure someone here must or possibly on the Watchuseek forum. As far as I know they will have chinese movements similar to Alpha perhaps?

Edit: found this review:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=230942

That's not a chronograph, the subdials are 24rs, date & day - the 'pusher's are for setting :wink:
    Ahem, I'll er, get me coat...

Well some Parnis arrivals kept me happy for a while, but not for long.

After a few attempts to buy a secondhand Stowa from the classifieds I bit the bullet and ordered one a few months ago.

Well, now its sitting on my wrist 8)

Very happy chappy

Mark

Master

Well some Parnis arrivals kept me happy for a while, but not for long.

After a few attempts to buy a secondhand Stowa from the classifieds I bit the bullet and ordered one a few months ago.

Well, now its sitting on my wrist 8)

Very happy chappy

Mark
    Fascinating thread as have been effectively toying with this dilema myself for a while.

Ordered a Stowa MO 6-7 weeks ago, one came up on here last week which i bought, got my email saying the new one was ready to go today! That order now cancelled.

Absolutely delighted with the one i bought from ZIM of these parts.

Dilemma is that i have convinced myself over the last 4-5 months that i need a 99.1 & to fund it (after much grief from Mrs W) will need to sell my trusty old Rolex Air King that i have had for 10 years.

Cannot decide whether:
    a)the Stowa is good enough & therefore keep the Rolex
    b) the 99.1 is such a thing of beauty, craftmanship etc that there is no comparison with Stowa & i should go for it & sell the Rolex
    c)stop worrying about B) being wrong if i miss it as i can always flip it.

I have a Stowa MO, and for the money you can't go wrong. However, I am drawn to Dörnbleuth, what does a 99.0 or 99.1 cost?

Master

A 99.0 is 2,900 euro & 99.1 3,400 before you start talking about bracelet 300, strap 130, quatro arret 400, dial with appliques 200, deployant 80

Quote Originally Posted by luckyal
    A 99.0 is 2,900 euro & 99.1 3,400 before you start talking about bracelet 300, strap 130, quatro arret 400, dial with appliques 200, deployant 80
    Hmm, so that's 3,230 I'm looking at there then! Maybe try a Stowa Chrono first :P

Master

The problem i have is i cannot decide whether that would be money well spent!

There is only one way to find out...

Master

Option c from my earlier post then. This forum has taught me all about flipping if I a wrong.