closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: cleaning acrylic crystal

Blog Entries

cleaning acrylic crystal

i have a small,light scuff on the crystal of my speedy reduced :cry: .what's the best option for polishing it out?i've heard toothpaste is a good option :?:
    many thanks as usual,

mick

Re: cleaning acrylic crystal

You can buy Polywatch, which is like a cutting paste - search eBay, alternatively Brasso pads work well - they're pre-moistened, easily available and I have used on my acrylic 5513 crystal with great success.

Blog Entries

thanks very much matt,just the answer i was looking for.just wasn't sure if polywatch may have been too caustic for acrylic.i'll get some ordered.
    cheers,

mick

I find Brillo pads to be a little too abrasive, I will make sure I get Brasso Pads next time!
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall
    thanks very much matt,just the answer i was looking for.just wasn't sure if polywatch may have been too caustic for acrylic.
    Worry not, I'm a saddo with a degree in plastics chemistry, Polywatch works mainly by a mechanical, abrasive action like wet and dry paper or jewellers rouge so no fears of any caustic/chemical degradation. Brasso pad works because it has both a solvent and a slight abrasive action so would probably err on the side of Polywatch for long term use.

Craftsman

what is acrylic?

Quote Originally Posted by agriniofc
    what is acrylic?
    Poly methyl methacrylate (PMMA) is its chemical name. Also known as Plexiglass. Most famously used in aeroplane windows, craft kits for making paperweights with dead animals etc etc... And in its fibre form for low rent clothing.

Much prefer it to sapphire for watch crystals, you can buff any scratches out, and has a relatively 'warm' look and feel.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by MattMM
    Quote Originally Posted by agriniofc
    what is acrylic?

Much prefer it to sapphire for watch crystals, you can buff any scratches out, and has a relatively 'warm' look and feel.
    That's an interesting point re preferring acrylic to sapphire. I've thought sapphire was the aspirational glass. But this makes acrylic sound both a practical and desirable option (I think I recall Eddie posting somewhere that he prefers acrylic too but don't take that as gospel :) )

Craftsman

then the new steinhart red is better than the one with saphire?or not?

Craftsman

Yesterday I polished a chipped sapphire crystal on a Longines Dolce Vita, and now it looks like new. It took me a good few hours with some diamond lapping paste, and I've got a blister on one of my fingers

The chip was on the edge, about 0.5mm across and 1 to 1.5mm towards the centre. It was deep enough to catch you finger nail in, and made an annoying shadow on the dial. Being curved rectangular sapphire it would probably be expensive to replace. I wish I'd taken photos of the damage.

It's more time consuming and expensive (cost me £16 for the paste), to polish a sapphire crystal, but they very rarely need it. This was the first time I'd ever seen a marked one. Unless you want acrylic for the lovely warm vintage look, I would go for sapphire every time. :)

Quote Originally Posted by MattMM
    +1 it does not need AR coating and is cheap enough to change if damaged (comparatively)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Grand Master

Disagree with the comments favouring acrylic crystals; too easily scratched for my liking.

As for repolishing acrylics, I`m a polywatch convert. I reckon it does have a solvent effect on the plastic and is superior IMO to Brasso. I`ve used t-cut successfully in the past but I still favour polywatch.

Paul

with this , i use it for my plexi

Miror or polywatch

Never had to use it but have heard good things of Polywatch.

Does the toothpaste thing work too or is that just hearsay?

Mmmm.....sapphire just aint got the mojo of acrylic IMHO, and removing chips from sapphire sounds painful. Another benefit is that you can get away with wearing an acrylic crystal in a workplace with a glass control policy.

I have tried the toothpaste therapy on my Prs-53 acrylic crystal. 80% of the scratches have been removed. :P

T-Cut works miracles. Used toothpaste, polywatch etc and T-Cut is the best!!!

Try it!
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Thanks everyone - Great thread just what I needed to know to get the scratches out of my Reduced Speedy.

Any fine car polishing pastes or compounds. As a bonus the watch will smell great after.

i always thought i would "upgrade" one of my rolex's to a saphire one day, perhaps this forum has saved me some time and money.