closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seiko Ananta - beautiful, but 4.5k for a Seiko?

Re: Seiko Ananta - beautiful, but 4.5k for a Seiko?

Quote Originally Posted by Driftwood

Its the "snobs" that still think a 1/2 made in Switzerland watch is the best. Remember seiko spend more in a day than rolex must do in 3 months on RD
    Do you know that for sure?

Although TBH a lot of R&D must have gone into the Seiko crossword solver I have just bought. :lol: :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Driftwood

thats why i will never own a Rolex. Too many are fake or owned by "snobs"
    Pity we can't all have your clear mindedness.

I own a GS and Rolex but then I am probably a split personality. Half snob ....half style monger :lol:

Like a few on here It's a pity you can't just praise the Seiko without putting down Rolex in the same breath. Although TBH I think most modern high end Seikos are pretty ugly in many respects in that they seem to "over egg" the designs I have always been a Seiko fan and own quite a few.

A real WIS will appreciate makers output for what they are, if of course they know what they are looking at. :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

Very gunmetal. Here's a nice wrist shot of it. The non-chronos are better looking.

john
    I would wear the crap out of that one, I think. If the hour hand moves in one hour steps, something like that could be my new traveller's GMT. Time for some research, I think.

Master

seiko have always made" good value for money" watches at all their price points,whether this watch is good value
    only time will tell(excuse the pun)
    i would say that GS watches are as good as they get,and credor are as much works of art as watches

Blog Entries

I would wear the crap out of that one,

:lol: :lol:

That's a new one for me, brilliant.
    'So, you like it I reckon? :D

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    Stunning watch indeed, but not for a Seiko.... :!:
    I don't follow that. It looks like no other Seiko. I'll admit to not being hugely keen on the mushroom pushers: too easy to operate accidentally.
    I'd have one over a Rolex because I'm not yet sixty (minimum mental age for the big staid R).
    Brand snobbery again, guys?
    Eurocentrism is more like it. Grand Seiko standards or COSC, which are stricter? Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper-sam
    I like it, but im embarrassed to say its brand snobbery with me.
    For 4.5K I would rather have my GC RS2.
    Also when people look at ot they wouldnt see 4.5k worth of watch, they would see Seiko and never in their wildest dreams think it cost that much, like a previous poster said it could be a £200 watch.
    I will say again though I do like it.
    The problem is that when people look at your Grand Carrera, they may well mistake it for a £100 Citizen, and allow themselves a quiet smirk of satisfaction that they have the wherewithal to afford their cut-above £200 Seiko.

M

I didn't read everything, but the high end Seikos do not feel like 200 £ watches! I have a Grand Seiko Spring Drive and it is really special and you can compare it easily with Rolex! I had a Breitling Chronomat Evolution, i know the GMT II Ceramic and Deepsea and Panerai,.... and my Grand Seiko is comparable, really! The indexes, the hands, the dial everything is done perfectly!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper-sam
    .....like a previous poster said it could be a £200 watch.
    I would be interested to see which £200 watch looks and feels like a Ananta!
    R
    When you find it let me know I'll take one of those too! :lol:

Blog Entries

Double post. :)

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayo
    I didn't read everything, but the high end Seikos do not feel like 200 £ watches!
    They don't and the GSs are lovely but I'm guessing that most non-WIS would just see the name SEIKO on your watch and assume it's relatively low end. They wouldn't neccessarily get chance to feel it, simply to observe it on your wrist.
    isn't that called understatement? :D

I know what you mean but as far as I know, people are not interested in the watch you are wearing and they have absolutely no idea what you are wearing, so for me, it doesn't matter! If you like it, go for it and if not, don't but it shouldn't be the name SEIKO that holds you off!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC
    The problem is that when people look at your Grand Carrera, they may well mistake it for a £100 Citizen, and allow themselves a quiet smirk of satisfaction that they have the wherewithal to afford their cut-above £200 Seiko.
    That might be a problem for you, but not for me!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries

Oooooh, I still want that Seiko SD GMT 8) :drunken:

Cheers,

Daddel.

Master

I should also add that I have a 12 year old Kinetic and that is prob my fav watch, even over my GC.
    Its currently at Goldsmiths getting brought back to life.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC
    That might be a problem for you, but not for me!

R
    The problem was not mine but the logic employed in suggesting that a £4.5k Seiko would be mistaken for a £200 Seiko just because it said Seiko on the dial. The vast majority of ordinary folk probably view Seiko as an aspirational brand and only fragment of the rest will have even heard of TAG/Heuer (unless they are old enough to remember who Ayrton Senna was or like golf). The reality is that if any of us were to handle either watch, we would almost certainly be hugely impressed with the engineering and so on, if not necessarily with the styling. I have reservations about the over busy dials and chrono pushers on the Ananta but like the case design very much. But you can make similar criticisms of the TAG, which as you might have gathered does nothing at all for me.

Martin

Seiko are really stepping up their game at the luxury end, but there is something in me that just could not pay that for a Seiko. If it had Omega or Rolex on there you would seriously think about it, but Seiko is something I associate with a 30 quid beater.

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt
    Seiko are really stepping up their game at the luxury end, but there is something in me that just could not pay that for a Seiko. If it had Omega or Rolex on there you would seriously think about it, but Seiko is something I associate with a 30 quid beater.
    To say that Seiko can't make a top-end watch is, like saying a great writer cannot also write children's stories. It's up to reader to be able to differentiate the fables from the masterpieces.

You don't just wonder into a watch shop and end up buying a top-end Seiko. You need to know what you are buying. It is the ability to be able to see with “the eyes”, rather than “the mind” which has been manipulated by the advertising industry.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks

That's a new one for me, brilliant.
    'So, you like it I reckon? :D

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Yup, farkin' love it. A cracker. Now I'm just torn between that cheaper Ananta, or that other GS that Jayo posted. Tricky.

But yes, lovely. Shame it's hard to try before you buy. :(

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt
    Seiko have been making luxury end watches for years, and I for one would much rather have a Seiko at this level than a modern Omega.

It seems to me that the problem of image stems from the fact that Seiko market themselves at a low level in Europe. Most people aren't aware of Grand Seiko, King Seiko or Credor outside of markets where they are sold, but they make some amazing watches IMO

Master

This type of thread is exactly why I love TZ-UK - this place is the dogs :D

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol
    If the hour hand moves in one hour steps, something like that could be my new traveller's GMT. Time for some research, I think.
    And it sure does! 8)

Journeyman

After Rolex, IWC, Omega, I've chosen a Seiko.
    Mainly because it offers more for the money, than any Swiss watch.
    Secondly, because it has not a luxuxy image.
    No "it is a real one", no "How must have you paid"...
    In fact, the only comments I have are from watch lovers. :D

And my GS takes 1s every 2 days....I've never had such a precision.

Master

The problem with Seiko is that they are not just one watch company but a large Global watch group. People should see and compare Seiko with the likes of Swatch or Richemont rather than one Swiss brand. They have made the mistake to offer erything under one name from cheap budget to the very highest end like the credor sonnerie. Everything is Seiko. While they are not my taste at all one has to admire the current ultra flat credor line. If you are ever in Japan its worth to handle them and have a look at the level of quality they are and the finishing and detail gone into them. Don't think that Brequet would sell many watches if the dial said Swatch and then very small Breguet. Seiko has had a mess with branding for years, alone the jungle of vintage King, Grand, Lord, Laurel. Seikos is unending.
    I have had everything from Patek via Blancpain to Swatch but a vintage 52 King Seiko is my current favorite. Can't wait to see every night at exactly two seconds past midnight the day and date change instantly in a fraction of a second. Runs within a second per two days and has over 53 hours of power reserve. This all after nearly 40 years of service. No further proof needed.

Just MHO, but some years ago the "Swiss Watch Snobs" wouldn't allow Seiko to submit watches for chronometer testing!!
    What does that say? maybe the Swiss makers were all afraid that Seiko would overtake them in precision, accuracy and robustness.Maybe they have??
    I think that although I would not personnaly pay the price for a "High End Seiko" that I still see them as ultra well made, precision watches
    worthy of the Chronometer accolade if allowed so.
    I think time will eventually tell with these watches, and they may even be seen as great value for money, with negligable servicing costs,
    superb build quality and accuracy.
    The Youtube film associates Seiko with the Japanese Art of "Nihonto"(sword) making, something I am very familiar with, and believe me, Swords
    of 1000 years old or more in Japan look like they were made yesterday. That is true testament to their "build quality"

In conclusion, I would rather pay £4500.00 for the Seiko, than the same price for a SILLY Jacobs & Co
    Neil.

Journeyman

It certainly seems beautifully engineered, but the styling looks a little fussy to me. I have nothing against paying for a high end seiko though.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Austin
    After Rolex, IWC, Omega, I've chosen a Seiko.
    Mainly because it offers more for the money, than any Swiss watch.
    Secondly, because it has not a luxuxy image.
    No "it is a real one", no "How must have you paid"...
    In fact, the only comments I have are from watch lovers. :D

And my GS takes 1s every 2 days....I've never had such a precision.
    Quick question-how much does one like the one in your avatar go for?

It's a beauty!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dibetu
    The problem with Seiko is that they are not just one watch company but a large Global watch group. People should see and compare Seiko with the likes of Swatch or Richemont rather than one Swiss brand. They have made the mistake to offer erything under one name from cheap budget to the very highest end like the credor sonnerie. Everything is Seiko. While they are not my taste at all one has to admire the current ultra flat credor line. If you are ever in Japan its worth to handle them and have a look at the level of quality they are and the finishing and detail gone into them. Don't think that Brequet would sell many watches if the dial said Swatch and then very small Breguet. Seiko has had a mess with branding for years, alone the jungle of vintage King, Grand, Lord, Laurel. Seikos is unending.
    I have had everything from Patek via Blancpain to Swatch but a vintage 52 King Seiko is my current favorite. Can't wait to see every night at exactly two seconds past midnight the day and date change instantly in a fraction of a second. Runs within a second per two days and has over 53 hours of power reserve. This all after nearly 40 years of service. No further proof needed.
    Very good points about the branding of Seiko. It does them no favours. It is interesting sorting out the strata of vintage Seiko though. :lol:

I would like to see a pic of your King.

Here's a Grand Seiko of mine from '69

Cheers,
    Neil.

more pics! The GS on leather:

Quote Originally Posted by neilf1965
    Just MHO, but some years ago the "Swiss Watch Snobs" wouldn't allow Seiko to submit watches for chronometer testing!!
    What does that say? maybe the Swiss makers were all afraid that Seiko would overtake them in precision, accuracy and robustness.Maybe they have??
    I think that although I would not personnaly pay the price for a "High End Seiko" that I still see them as ultra well made, precision watches
    worthy of the Chronometer accolade if allowed so.

Neil.
    Hello Neil

Seiko were allowed the "chronometer accolade" :wink:

Here's a '71 Seiko Chronometer of mine. :D

Oooh look, "chronometer, officially certified" just like those Swiss devils put on their sub standard watches. :lol:

Joking aside, COSC is a Swiss test station, so it would make sense for Japanese to have their own testing station rather than send their watches movements halfway around the world then back again to be finally cased up don't you think?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

If you really like watches, it is the technology and skill of manufacture that counts, not the name. The Spring Drives are a tour de force, a watch far more accurate than any other that isn't quartz. My Monster is more accurate than my Breitlings or my Soritfire Chrono, at 4% of the price. Still doesn't mean I don't love my others, but Seiko, at whatever price, make mean watches and unlike my Spitfire or a Panerai (until recently), at least they make the movements themselves.

Blog Entries

Still going to sell it? :)

Cheers,

Daddel.

Quote Originally Posted by Molle

And it sure does! 8)
    Crap. Might have to buy one, then. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    Still going to sell it? :)

Cheers,

Daddel.
    not sure yet! :)

I love Grand Seiko, won't go into detail here as i've posted enough about my GS Diver :twisted: But tomorrow i will mostly be looking for this new one:

Journeyman

MHO, sometimes we just need to be given credit for something we wear (in this case a watch)... just human nature asking for a sense of approval... it's easy for other sheeples to notice high swiss end watches and give good comments about it... but as for watch afficionados, they (im not yet included since i still have a lot learn yet) don't need approval from pedestrians... they already know that what/why their watch is their watch... so it's really just up to the person's preference... glamor, status, history, etc... but i think it's really unfair that people judge a seiko for being a seiko... but it is reality though, pedestrians think that way (sometimes I do)... just my 2 cents...

That GS is stunning. Might have to shift my Milgauss and get one of those - that rocks 8) I assume that's a ceramic bezel?

it is a saphire crystal bezel 8)

Quote Originally Posted by lowdrag
    If you really like watches, it is the technology and skill of manufacture that counts, not the name. The Spring Drives are a tour de force, a watch far more accurate than any other that isn't quartz. My Monster is more accurate than my Breitlings or my Soritfire Chrono, at 4% of the price.
    I should get your Breitlings or Spitfire serviced then :wink: because the 7S26 is never a incredibly accurate movement certainly not positionally in my experience. It is Seikos lowest quality mechanical movement but does it's job admirably.

Quote Originally Posted by lowdrag

Still doesn't mean I don't love my others, but Seiko, at whatever price, make mean watches and unlike my Spitfire or a Panerai (until recently), at least they make the movements themselves.
    And being in house is what attracts me to Seikos also but of course we have to remember that Seiko is a giant multinational conglomerate (swiss watch firms are tiny in comparison) which makes it far more economic to produce their own movements.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Very good points about the branding of Seiko. It does them no favours. It is interesting sorting out the strata of vintage Seiko though. :lol:

I would like to see a pic of your King.

Here's a Grand Seiko of mine from '69

Beautiful GS there, a classic!

I will take pics of the KS tonight.

Master

Here a couple of pics of the January 1972 made King Seiko Automatic Chronometer Officialy Certified High Beat Special.
    Some experts think that this was the absolute highlight of mechanical watchmaking from the House of Seiko: The 52 special movement. Quartz watches were becoming popular and this calibre was produced in the Seiko Daini factory that was in competion with the Seiko Suwa factory in terms of innovation and success. They thought it would be the last ever mechanical calibre to be produced as Quartz was conquering Earth. So they spared no time, money or effort to make a "Special" calibre, the 52. The Special was put on the dial of these King Seiko Watches that were available in a 3 hand, 3 hand date and 3 hand day date. The cases used were the typical high end Seiko in full stainless steel of superb quality. This one runs as smooth as a mechanical watch can and was adjusted to plus 1 second per two days. The day and date change instantly at two seconds past midnight in a fraction of a second, there is no slow change and click like in most mechanical watches.
    Sorry for the bad pic quality need daylight to get better ones.

More pics: http://home.watchprosite.com/show-forum ... 2536/s--2/

More pics: http://www.thepurists.net/Patrons/Membe ... 005_01.htm

There are elements of Villemont* in the Ananta case and even the crown. 8)

john

* I know they've gone down.

Interesting shot if the Seiko, John - is that a flat sappire I see? That might be enough to put me off it...

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol
    Interesting shot if the Seiko, John - is that a flat sappire I see? That might be enough to put me off it...

If you click on the link I gave, you will get some more pics ...
    http://home.watchprosite.com/show-forum ... 2536/s--2/

Yes it does appear to be flat ... and I like flat, but that's just me.

john

Awesome watch and fascinating history, Dibetu. Would love to see some more pics in better light.

Here a couple of pics of the January 1972 made King Seiko Automatic Chronometer Officialy Certified High Beat Special.
    Some experts think that this was the absolute highlight of mechanical watchmaking from the House of Seiko: The 52 special movement. Quartz watches were becoming popular and this calibre was produced in the Seiko Daini factory that was in competion with the Seiko Suwa factory in terms of innovation and success. They thought it would be the last ever mechanical calibre to be produced as Quartz was conquering Earth. So they spared no time, money or effort to make a "Special" calibre, the 52. The Special was put on the dial of these King Seiko Watches that were available in a 3 hand, 3 hand date and 3 hand day date. The cases used were the typical high end Seiko in full stainless steel of superb quality. This one runs as smooth as a mechanical watch can and was adjusted to plus 1 second per two days. The day and date change instantly at two seconds past midnight in a fraction of a second, there is no slow change and click like in most mechanical watches.
    Sorry for the bad pic quality need daylight to get better ones.

Magnificent watch and some very interesting information. I have never seen a "special" in the flesh.

My similar 5626-7100 chronometer from '71 is one of my most accurate autos even after all this time.

Such an interesting period for high grade Japanese watches and always a pleasure to see more.

Thanks for posting. :)
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana
    Stunning video.

But would you pay that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXNneAi9bDs
    yes i would, seiko's my favorite brand and really like that one. thanks for the link Banana 8)

karl

Has anyone seen some of the other Ananta line, specifically the automatic range. Some very special complications for less than an SMP :shock: retrograde day/dates, power reserve

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D
    Has anyone seen some of the other Ananta line, specifically the automatic range. Some very special complications for less than an SMP :shock: retrograde day/dates, power reserve
    I find the Ananta auto range a bit busy in the dial dept. :(

john

True, they do try to cram a lot onto the dial and it ends up a little confusing to look at, but for the price I think it's amazing. Does anyone know the costs and intervals of service on these autos and spring drives?

True, they do try to cram a lot onto the dial and it ends up a little confusing to look at, but for the price I think it's amazing. Does anyone know the costs and intervals of service on these autos and spring drives?

This one might have been interesting without the "day" and the "power-reserve" and just the date at the bottom. Is it true they are under £2000?

As for service they would be the same as any other mechanical and the SD around 5 years.

john

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    I find the Ananta auto range a bit busy in the dial dept. :(

john

I agree and the price is steep