closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All the newbies

All the newbies

I do think that Eddie's new 50 posts before you can see the SC rule is a good idea. It has clearly made many more newbies (me included) become more active today. I do hope that the newbies will remian active once they have hit the 50 posts. I promise I will try!

Re: All the newbies

Agreed. I have traded a few watches and posted a few WTBs only but check the sales corner every 5 mins! This will encourage me to be more active and as frustrating as the new rule is it does make some sense

Quote Originally Posted by dicky8588
    Agreed. I have traded a few watches and posted a few WTBs only but check the sales corner every 5 mins! This will encourage me to be more active and as frustrating as the new rule is it does make some sense
    I was in a similar position to you. I think being active is better than being described as a lurker!

Journeyman

When will we stop being newbies?

We'll be newbies for long enough!

I've bought half a dozen or so watches from here and check SC very regularly. I'll now make more of an effort to become a more active member....I'll apologise in advance :D

Journeyman

I agree - it's forced me to engage!

When does your rank first change - 50 posts too or 100 maybe? Maybe thats whn the newbie tag gets dropped, who knows ;)

If everyone just lurked the forum couldn't exist. :roll:

Hear hear!

As someone quite new to watch collecting I've always tended to feel a bit out of my depth, but I'll certainly try to ask more questions and gain more knowledge...

"Better to ask and be a fool for a moment than stay silent and be a fool forever!"

just trying not too post simple "nice watch" replys to get my numbers up is quite difficult.

Craftsman

I don't agree with the restriction but as has been said many times on here - the bloke who built and maintains our "playground" is entitled to decide who plays in it and to make the rules. Like it, or lump it, as they say. After 12 months lurking, it was time I started to get out 'n about anyway!

I'm happy to oblige, as I check this forum atleast once a day, and have purchased a number of watches here in the past. Unfortunately, I will lose a couple of days attendance in the sales forum while I chose what to respond to.
    Cheers,
    Scott
    (Sjhc)

Craftsman

Me too :-)

Well it's not hard to foretell there will be lots of "me too" psting in the future and as hard as I try...I just cannot withstand to do so too...sometimes... :lol:

As a Newbie I believe this will be a benefit.

Grand Master

just remember sc isn't the point of this place, it's just a courtesy extended by eddie. get in watch talk, read the threads, take some piccies and start some fights! we love seeing watches and don't care if you paid 50p or £50000 variety is the spice of life!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk
    just remember sc isn't the point of this place, it's just a courtesy extended by eddie. get in watch talk, read the threads, take some piccies and start some fights! we love seeing watches and don't care if you paid 50p or £50000 variety is the spice of life!
    Very true, but SC isn't just about buying watches - I used to look at a lot of posts for watches i had no intention of buying because the pix and descriptions were so informative - I learned a lot. Also, going back through old SC posts using the search has been very useful when I've bought vintage watches from elsewhere but wanted to check minor dial/caseback details etc to make sure what I'm considering is original.

What´s the big deal in making 50 posts? C´mon guys, join the conversation :)

Quote Originally Posted by JCJM
    No big deal, but seems lots of us would rather keep quiet until we have something genuinely useful to say! Better average post-quality for everyone that way. When I can make a useful contribution, I will - I posted an essay on watch shopping in Hong Kong yesterday!

Craftsman

While I understand the reasons for the "new" 50 posts rule and I am sure it will encourage more activity, particularly from those like myself who enjoy the forum but don't feel the need to comment on every thread they read, I am not convinced that the quality of posts will not suffer as a result.

I believe there may now be even more bland me too posts, stupid comments and possibly worse. Time will tell.

Finland...next to a lake...somewhere in the forest.

I'm all for this thread on newbies. What better way to up our post count then to babble on about our position on the bottom of the food chain. :lol:

Journeyman

Like many, I am also coming out of the woodworks.
    Have been around on the forum for some time, even bought somethings too. But never have been active.
    Now things have changed and for me to be able to stroll around in the SC section, like some of the fellow newbies
    I will have to post till I've reached the right amount of post to stoll around again.

Made a small intro of myself in WatchTalk presenting one of my latest buys...

Greetz,
    Feike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2wrists
    No big deal, but seems lots of us would rather keep quiet until we have something genuinely useful to say! Better average post-quality for everyone that way. When I can make a useful contribution, I will - I posted an essay on watch shopping in Hong Kong yesterday!
    I remember seeing a lot of posts by relative newbies, coming out of the closet, that didn't look as if much thought had gone in to them :)
    If after months of lurking the only thing you can come-up with is yet another "why Rolex" or 'tell me about Panerai" or "which one is better than the other" thread, it was a hell of a long thought about F'all!
    Not posting regularly doesn't mean the threads and questions are better.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Journeyman

Well, the main problem of such a restriction is that the SC will soon be useless. :?

Of course, the inactive members like me will now talk. :D
    But the huge majority of potential buyers, I mean inactive one won't be able to buy, as they won't even see the SC.

The result will be easy to anticipate :
    Less buyers => active members will have more and more problems to sell their watches on TZ-UK.

But maybe TZ-UK has to remains a discussion forum, and Eddie is trying to limit the SC, which is easily understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin
    Well, the main problem of such a restriction is that the SC will soon be useless....
    ........the huge majority of potential buyers won't be able to buy, as they won't even see the SC.
    Sorry, but that's utter rubbish.

Additionally I'd MUCH rather sell to an established member, than someone who has no track record and I'd suggest that "the huge majority" :wink: of established members feel the same way.

I know we were all newbies once and I have sold to new members myself, but of all the sales I've made here the only problems I've had have been with a couple of newer members.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I bought 2 watch here:

- seamaster 120 to Pulga69
    - Kontiki Super to CR

But the rules are the rules: only 13 posts missing....

rgds

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk
    Very true, but SC isn't just about buying watches - I used to look at a lot of posts for watches i had no intention of buying because the pix and descriptions were so informative - I learned a lot. Also, going back through old SC posts using the search has been very useful when I've bought vintage watches from elsewhere but wanted to check minor dial/caseback details etc to make sure what I'm considering is original.
    Totally agree with this, for those with less horological knowledge than many who post on here, SC is a great way of researching brands and the sort of prices you can expect to pay for any watches you might be interested in. Its also been a complete eye opener for me into new brands too. In my opinion it is equally useful as a resource as it is a means of selling.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims

Additionally I'd MUCH rather sell to an established member, than someone who has no track record and I'd suggest that "the huge majority" :wink: of established members feel the same way.

I know we were all newbies once and I have sold to new members myself, but of all the sales I've made here the only problems I've had have been with a couple of newer members.

I've been moderator of a french Home Theater forum, when Admins decided to do the exact same thing, with some of your same arguments.
    Two weeks later, the Sales Section was visible again, simply because most of the sellers were pretty unhappy to see that there were no buyer anymore, or not enough.

That's maybe not as rubbish as you think it is.
    And of course, I'd rather sell my 3000£ watch to my neighbour that I know for 15 years, face to face, in cash, than to a perfect stranger who lives in Japan, and who pays with paypal.
    But when the perfect stranger is the only one to buy it...

You do prefer to sell to established members ?
    Good, because you will have no other choice. :wink:

Is this the place I need to boost my post count!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dmcfarlane
    Is this the place I need to boost my post count!!!
    Now that wouldn't be a good way to boost your post count by doing silly posts like this one :lol:

Master

Well, the main problem of such a restriction is that the SC will soon be useless....
    ........the huge majority of potential buyers won't be able to buy, as they won't even see the SC.

Totally agree! :thumbright:

Master

I've been moderator of a french Home Theater forum, when Admins decided to do the exact same thing, with some of your same arguments.
    Two weeks later, the Sales Section was visible again, simply because most of the sellers were pretty unhappy to see that there were no buyer anymore, or not enough.

That's maybe not as rubbish as you think it is.
    And of course, I'd rather sell my 3000£ watch to my neighbour that I know for 15 years, face to face, in cash, than to a perfect stranger who lives in Japan, and who pays with paypal.
    But when the perfect stranger is the only one to buy it...

You do prefer to sell to established members ?
    Good, because you will have no other choice. :wink:
    I've sold maybe ten or so watches on SC now, and probably purchased a similar amount.

I've sold only one watch to a less than 50 post member. Now, that's not to say the sale wasn't welcome, but my own experience says that SC won't grind to a halt because it's no longer visible to members with a low post count.

The whole point is, that SC isn't the only reason I come here. I'm interested in watches, full stop, and I've learnt a huge amount about them by reading and engaging with other members in other parts of the forum. SC is a benefit, not the be all and end all.

If you think the latter, then maybe this isn't the right place for you?

Admins decided to do the exact same thing, with some of your same arguments.
    It may very well happen, and not because members have asked for it but because Eddie has decided to.
    SC and WTB had become a target for spammers, with a peak of activity recently. Eddie's response is aimed at them, not at the lurkers, even thought quite a few more have started posting, and many already have quite a few nice things to show. It may be a temporary measure, or a permanent one.

This is a forum, a friendly place to discuss watches without oppressive moderation, and it does exactly what it says on the tin.
    At the moment, over half of our members (2300) have less than 10 post, 600 have no post to their name, as compiled by GraniteQuarry this morning: where is the discussion?
    If we want to touch a large audience, including Japan, we'll use ebay with a reserve price that takes the fees into account. I'd much rather sell to and buy from somebody who has established himself within the community, if only because if it's a no box, no papers watch I have a better chance to have a good watch than on the bay.
    SC has already been removed, and it can happen again. Temporarily, or permanently, it's Eddie's decision but it is based on the amount of trouble he gets from it.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

HI There

I am new to posting on this forum and I will admit that whilst I have been 'lurking' for a long while now I am only starting to post beacause I am no longer able to look at the sales corner forum.

To be fair I only have limited time to spend posting and responding to posts and a big part of the reason I have not posted is because I might not be able to respond to peoples replies in time for it to be relevent. ( I would like to take this opportunity to apologise in advance if this happens )

Now let me tell you that whilst I have never bought anything from this forum I often look at whats for sale, as it's an interesting way to look and learn a bit about watches you don't see anywhere else, and whilst I am happy to adhere to the new rules concerning 50 posts I feel that it probably won't stop people dicking other people about when selling/buying.

With regards to some comments about established forum members only wishing to deal with other established forum members, surely you can just look at someones post count and choose not to deal with them without the need to ban them from viewing it completely, it smacks slightly of superiority.

Sorry if this is a bit contentious, I am not questioning Eddies decision, just some peoples opinion of why its a good decision.

This is after all Eddies website and he can do what he bl**dy well likes with it

Regards
    Ben

Craftsman

I fully understand this will busy up the main forum, although I have been a member for sometime
    I mainly read rather than post. Guess I AM NOT ALONE!!

Quote Originally Posted by NIGELW
    I fully understand this will busy up the main forum, although I have been a member for sometime
    I mainly read rather than post. Guess I AM NOT ALONE!!
    Nope your not, i agree i mainly read rather than post as i am new to the forum and am enjoying learning from the many informative posts, i will just wait until the magic 50 comes up to view SC again, this should make me more active on the post front aswell :)

No big deal, but seems lots of us would rather keep quiet until we have something genuinely useful to say! Better average post-quality for everyone that way.
    That´s bull if you dont mind me say so!This place is not about quality of postings, it´s all about :D :) :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: And, occasionally also :x :P :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!:

Got it? No :?: - not? Well, in order to get the :idea: you need to :arrow: forget about quality :| and just post! :mrgreen:

No matter what comes out of it :bom:

You only have to loose your image :drunken: :albino: and even so everybody allready know that you are a :bigsmurf: so no probs :blackeye:

now... post! :bounce:

I will - I posted an essay on watch shopping in Hong Kong yesterday!
    Good!

Master

:laughing3:

Sounds like you've had a gutful :lol:

Master

Post and be damned

Post and be condemned

Post and learn

Post and entertain

Post and teach

Post and argue

But keep posting

I am not as prolific as some other members, nor do a know as much about watches as other members, nor do I get into long winded arguments with other members (well minor participation aside) and I have yet to sell a watch on SC. But by posting you get a feeling of participation and you join the community.

Go do it ..its fun! :bounce:

Journeyman

I agree with the op, and hope to me more active in the other forums from now on

Hello

Back with my 50's...

I tried to post quite interesting things...

But now I'm done, lurking back into the sale corner and will post occasionnaly here...

Not sure this rule is a good one but I complied with....

Best :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pepere13
    Hello

Back with my 50's...

I tried to post quite interesting things...

But now I'm done, lurking back into the sale corner and will post occasionnaly here...

Not sure this rule is a good one but I complied with....

Best :)
    Paving your own way to the slaughter-house? :D

Cheers,

Daddel.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Hope not :?

TZ-UK is a place I like to be from time to time but I'm regular in other places (VOF, FAM, MDP,...).

Don't have enough time to split in all these. I made a choice..... and will post here occasionnaly like I usally did ;)

rgds

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pepere13

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Hope not :?

TZ-UK is a place I like to be from time to time but I'm regular in other places (VOF, FAM, MDP,...).

Don't have enough time to split in all these. I made a choice..... and will post here occasionnaly like I usally did ;)

rgds
    Please do, you are more than welcome :)

Cheers,

Daddel.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just
    This is a forum, a friendly place to discuss watches without oppressive moderation, and it does exactly what it says on the tin.
    I understand that, and I also understand Eddie has to face a major problem : we are speaking english on TZ-UK (well, I'm trying).
    I'm pretty sure the Greek TZ does not have the problems Eddie has to faced.

Please do, you are more than welcome :)

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Thanks....

Watch collector.... a big nice comfy family :wink:

I'm happy to be a TZ-UK member anyway :cheers:

Rgds :love3:

Blog Entries

To all newbies - the '50' should not really be a a 'destiny' we have all been there, posts can be in the 'bear pit' / 'george and dragon etc' if you have opinions (which most of us have :roll: ) shortly after I joined I made a few cock-ups (asking questions prior to using the 'search' box option) and was 'politely' pointed in the right direction - dont forget never too old to learn :twisted: !
    However, it's a chummy forum and at times flack is thrown around but mostly it's all in good form !
    (well unless you upset 'griff' (apologies Griff !) in the bear pit.
    I have learned much much more about watches since joining and had many laughs - the only downside is the bank balance seems to reduce rather more rapidly than earlier !
    Eddie runs a brilliant place here, use it, don't abuse it !

(and, if you cannot find your answers in 'search' - post your query - that's why are are all here !, and it is not restricted to questions solely on watches - hifi/computers etc etc !)

Cheers and welcome to you all :lol: :lol:
    Peter

Perhaps Eddie is just (secretly) trying to help out those of us lurkers who don't post before we get in too deep? I only bought one watch through the forum here and a few straps and piece's from Eddie so maybe my descent into watch buying madness isn't yet written in stone....

Your destiny is set my friend. I was mildly obssessed before I joined the forum at which time it became all encompassing. It is a gift and curse in equal measure :lol:

im a guilty as charged with being a lurker... will change now and be more involved

Totally different market place, surely? How many people buy multiple AV amps, for example? This place has lots of 'repeat offenders'.