closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dentists

Craftsman

Re: Dentists

Not being to the Dentist for over 10 years, as I hated it. Now go every 6 months, even though I still hate. Cost has gone up due to the practice opting out of NHS.
    Have to look after your teeth. :)

Master

another slog over. The NHS have renewed our contract for 3 more years and to boot I've been asked to be a trainer of newly graduated dentists again. So a fine end to the week. So much paper work nowadays...

^
    Pity you live so far from Doncaster or I'd attend. Then if you got it wrong I could stick you in the Villains section. :P

Quote Originally Posted by cannedheat
    I go to one which I must confess is by far the best dentist I have visited yet. I live 450 km from it but I won't go to any other.

Gorgeous and gentle secretary with huge cleavage at the entrance. Nice, young and beautiful dentists ( almost all are women ). all services done there ( including X-rays ) which saves time and money.

Two implants costed me 3.000 € in total, which here is not a cheap price ( could be got for 1.200 € each ) but service is always optimal. the name is "Ruiz Capillas & Asociados", and it is in Santander, just in front of the ferry terminal from Plymouth.
    Bit far but if it's worth it!

Craftsman

I used to hate the dentist and avoided them as soon as I had the choice. However, some problems meant I needed to have a series of treatments so I had to face my fear.

Important things to remember is that 99% of dentistry these days is genuinely painless (root canal is a doddle). I don't know the ins and outs, but it is definitely different to when I was a lad going for fillings etc. I assume technology has moved on. So, this means the idea of the dentist is the worst thing you have to deal with...

1. Try hypnosis mp3s on your ipod. These can really relax you even if you dont go for the whole hypnosis thing. Listen to it before you go, take your ipod and listen to it when you are in the chair if you need to.

2. Ask questions. It helps me a lot to (semi) understand what is happening.

3. If you don't like things in your mouth, concentrate on your feet. Try to lift 1 foot off the chair by a couple of inches. You'll forget about your mouth!

I end up relaxing a lot in the chair now, I could probably fall asleep if I was tired.

Good luck!

The issue I have is jaw ache after twenty minutes, or if the dentist traps my lip against my teeth. My current dentist is leaving the practice so now I'll have to wait and see what his replacement is like.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx
    I am in hospital on Monday for a cyst to be removed from the upper gum area, close to my sinus...... didnt enjoy seeing the tools of the trade :cry:

I'm sure you won't need any analgesic for that....

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Puller
    quite right in some cases.....system flawed, but due to change to a fairer one next year..
    OK, so this is sounding encouraging....dentists are to be better paid against the treatment they prescribe/deliver?

Will this mean a revision in the Denplan payment scheme - up or down?

(i.e. have I found another delaying excuse, or a reason to crack on getting things sorted?)

I was NHS before my dentist went private.
    I always thought the NHS service I got was quite good till I went for the first private visit,was in the chair for about 3 times longer.
    They didn't do any work at the time but checked loads more stuff than they did when they were NHS.
    Wouldn't go back to NHS now as I wouldn't be surprised if the level of care you get is same for all of them.
    Obviously when they aren't getting paid as much they only look at what they need to to comply.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by tuscanracer
    quite right in some cases.....system flawed, but due to change to a fairer one next year..
    OK, so this is sounding encouraging....dentists are to be better paid against the treatment they prescribe/deliver?

Will this mean a revision in the Denplan payment scheme - up or down?

(i.e. have I found another delaying excuse, or a reason to crack on getting things sorted?)
    fortunately it will be fairer for the patient....
    In one practice we are piloting a new scheme similar to the one to be introduced soon. This has only 60% related to fillings and intervention. The rest involves the type of thing the private guys dont even do. We get the patient into their own welfare with loads of anti-smoking, alcohol and brushing info. We have a learning room, hygenist, extended duty dental nurses who give oral hygene advice and apply fluoride. All of our staff are extremely satisfied with their work and I think this is the future. Our PCT are very progressive but the others are not interested. we are trying to apply for other sites like this one and watch this space.

Quote Originally Posted by tuscanracer
    I am in hospital on Monday for a cyst to be removed from the upper gum area, close to my sinus...... didnt enjoy seeing the tools of the trade :cry:

I'm sure you won't need any analgesic for that....
    It didn't hurt a bit....the anaesthetic was excellent :lol:

I cannot talk, and do look like Elephant Man with my swollen face today though :shock:

Master

I cannot talk, and do look like Elephant Man with my swollen face today though :shock:
    Jon, apart from the obvious benefits of you not being able to talk, I'm glad it went well!! :wink:

....and with regards to the Elephant Man looks, that has nothing to do with the operation, we all know you were just born that way..... :D

anyone know if white fillings are weaker than the normal ones? i'm due a filling and thinking of having a white one.

having my teeth whitened, to try and keep me motivated to stay off the smokes.

My dentist told me earlier in the year when I had a major filling in a molar done that the white ones flex slightly so that over over time they have a greater tendency to work loose or leak. I went for amalgam. Obviously if it showed I'd have gone for the white.
    Additionally and I'm unsure why, he used both in repairing another molar. I think he used the white because he could be less rough with the grinding drill for that part.

the ones i have already have done me proud - 10 years plus. Will probably stick with what i know for the next one as it in a sot you can't see. I've also been told that at some point my wisdoms are going to have to extracted. Deep joy.

Master

what you say is almost completely true...you guys dont need me anymore to adjudicate....

some lab made white fillings dont flex...but very pricey. I know a local NHS dentist who does them they're called CEREC....google them...very impressive.
    just back from seeing franz ferdinand...ears still ringing.

CEREC. NZ$1000 - $1500 a tooth. £400 a filling here.

Journeyman

I must say that I hate them, back in July I lost a filling at the back/lower jaw. I used to use an NHS dentist but because I had not been for a couple of years I was no longer registered with him, and so I had to take an emergency apointment at the local dental NHS clinic. The dentist took a look at the tooth and anounced it could not be saved. The only thing he could offer was to remove it, and so because I was about to go on holiday I reluctantly agreed even though it was not giving me any problems at the time. He subsequently injected the local anastheic and proceeded to extract the tooth, after pushing and pulling and tuging for 10 miniutes he managed to shatter the top clean of the tooth leaving my mouth full of shattered tooth, and both roots still embeded in my jaw. He then set about cutting the gum and grinding around what was left, trying to remove what was still left. 1 hour later I was left with a mouth full of stitches and half the root still in the gum, and an apointment to see the surgeon at the local hospital. I have just visited the surgeon this morning, and as you can imagine I was a little concerned, anyway he managed to remove what was left in about 10 miniutes, no stitches very little pain, just a gob full of blood to deal with on my way home.

Not trying to put anybody of, But sorry what was the question. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    CEREC. NZ$1000 - $1500 a tooth. £400 a filling here.

machine + computer+milling unit costs £70k plus VAT.....loadsa investment. My mate charges them as full NHS price each+£198.00.....basically he does lots of them .They are prepared, made and fitted in one day ...all in house. Excellent.

I'd pay up if I needed it even though they're not covered by Denplan. I don't think my dentist has the equipment though.

Master

there arent many of these around due to cost. but I would love one...

Dont want to even talk about them ,think i may pass out ! :D

Master

I know what you mean about dentists Tuscanracer; I used to hate them, my local NHS dentist is an arse! he goes though about 6 clients in half an hour!! :shock: talk about conveyor belt. anyway, had enough of that and went private (Harley St, London-I know, I know) but they are excellent. Something about paying £150 a visit makes you enjoy it; maybe it's the choose your own cd, the tv, the beautiful irish brunettes he has about the place-alll highly qualified of course! :lol:

Master

as with everything in life....you get what you pay for.

You can't keep avoiding it .All that happens is that you get a proper toothache and you have to go. I went to a nice private dentist in harrogate with dencare and have not looked back. no pain and my teeth and gums are much healthier

Craftsman

I pay 14 pounds per month and have private dentistry through Denplan. Best thing I ever did.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by scubasky100
    You can't keep avoiding it .All that happens is that you get a proper toothache and you have to go. I went to a nice private dentist in harrogate with dencare and have not looked back. no pain and my teeth and gums are much healthier
    excellent to hear. HG has many good dentists.

This just fits it perfectly! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is that you, Puller? :lol:
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Master

where did you get that one from???

my wife will be furious.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by mr1973

Note to self: local anaesthetic only..... :shock:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren
    Am sure 'puller' can correct me if I'm wrong, but a dentist mate recommends to those who don't go private, to ask for 'private materials' to be used rather than the NHS funded stuff ...??
    In fact this guy takes about 20-25 seconds to give an injection, so you never get the 'gum bursting' feeling, which kept me off asking for anasthaetics for ages !
    Good luck, Peter

in same way if I buy a ford fiesta but ask for a mondeo......
    I meant paying extra for 'private' materials but in NHS allocated time

The rubber mask never bothered me. The belt drive drill did though. Anyone remember those?

Master

[quote="hogthrob"]The rubber mask never bothered me.
    quote]

tbh, I still wear mine at the weekend! :shock:

Actually guys, since sharing my concerns about dentists with the TZ old timers, I've had some great advice, both via PM and on this thread....

....spurred on, I'll be booking up over the next couple of weeks, and get those fillings and stumps sorted.

Cheers guys,
    Steve