closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Softener for Aligator

Master

Softener for Aligator

Hi
    I have the GC RS2 with aligator strap I think, and because I have girlie wrists its not really sitting right on my wrist.
    Is there a product on the market that can be used to soften Aligator?
    Thanks

Master

Re: Softener for Aligator

I use liquid leather on some of my straps, which should help you.
    http://www.liquidleather.com/

Edit to mention - you might want to watch it on that red stitching though - don't know what effect it would have on that.

Try saddle soap, but be careful of the stitching.

Master

Or how about just using the old "remove strap from watch, hold each end of strap, bend strap furiously in wave-like motions for a couple of hours" technique. I patented the technique by the way, but you have my blessing to use it.

Master

:lol: I like the sound of this method, only problem is I have no means to remove the strap.
    To be honest I dont think I will do anything as I think i would vomit if anytihng happened to the stitching on the strap.

Journeyman

The basic technique for softening, cleaning, restoring vintage leather and delicate hides like gator is to use pure clear glycerine. Glycerine is often a component of saddle soaps, but they often have sustances that yellow the formula. Your local pharmacy should have it in a reasonably pricedsmall bottle. Use only pure clear glycerine.

As my screen name implies, I'm a collector of vintage and rare hide western boots (cowboy boots to the unenlightened). I have restored many pairs of neclected boots where the hide has hardened from age, heat, and lack of use.

Lightly apply the glycerine and gently rub it in, let it set for 20-25 minutes and buff it with a clean cloth. Repeat as needed.

There are two things to remember:
    1. Repeated light coats are better than one heavy coat. Leathers can be over-saturated and them the fibers will tear and in extreme cases, leather rot will set in.

2. Patience, patience, patience. Rushing will lead to over-saturation and over-rubbing when the hide is wet, which may remove the clear glaze coating found on most shiny finishes and lift the dye out of the hide.

The same technique will clean older leathers as it lifts dirt out of the leather, and condition it simultaneously.

Hope this helps.

Master

Thanks for that, very informative, so I presume that there is no issue with the red stitching?

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by sniper-sam
    Thanks for that, very informative, so I presume that there is no issue with the red stitching?
    No, if the red is dyed into the thread and not a sharpie pen DIY, there should be no problem. Probably won't be a problem even then. It shouldn't saturate to the point of lifting dye, and it is clear and does not dis-color anything that I've used it on. I've done probably 100 pairs of boots, dozens of vintage jackets, belts, vintage map cases, you name it. Glycerine is extremely mild.

If you want to be extra cautious, appply it around the stitched area with a Q-tip to avoid getting it on the stitching or do a test rub under the keeper.

Journeyman

Beautiful strap by the way.

Master

Thanks again, and thanks :wink:

Have you had the watch for long? It should soften up nicely once its been worn for a week or two. I also agree with Baz on the gentle bending of the leather to break it in slightly - i wouldnt say you'd need to remove the strap to do this either.

Master

I've had the watch since may, but have a few straps since as there was an issue with the clasp slipping, anyway this strap has been on for about a fortnight now, havent really noticed much softening but im putting this down to the fact that my wrist is so small and the strap doesnt really bend round my wrist as such.
    Anyway i'm sure it will sort itself out, really love the watch!

Patience is the key - it's still early days I suppose if it's only been on for a fornight. You could always try a little 'hand softening' if it's bothering you. I think it's just the nature of gator/croc straps that they are quite stiff to begin with (sometimes to the point of feeling a bit cheap I think) but fear not, it'll be worn in and 'buttery' soft in no time :-)

I have owned a few alligator straps and have always found them to be very supple. Is stiffness a common issue with Alligator (straps)?

I'd say they take a bit longer to break in than a calf strap but after that they are very soft and supple as you say. Thats just my experience though, others may say different.

Try Leatherique oil or a 10 pound hammer :lol: