closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: prescription sunglasses????

Master

prescription sunglasses????

I have a new prescription and i fancy a pair of sunglasses, NOT glasses with reactor light, actuall sunglasses as i've been needing a pair for some time for work and for driving, now my quesion is where is best to get these, specsavers? also can ANY frame be used to hold prescription lenses?
    Thanks,
    Andrew

Master

Re: prescription sunglasses????

As far as I know any frame can be used. Specsavers is a good place to get them as with their two for one deal you can get a normal pair of glasses at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by dawson2k5
    I have a new prescription and i fancy a pair of sunglasses, NOT glasses with reactor light, actuall sunglasses as i've been needing a pair for some time for work and for driving, now my quesion is where is best to get these, specsavers? also can ANY frame be used to hold prescription lenses?
    Thanks,
    Andrew
    I used a pretty good (I liked it) old frame and sent it to Glasses2U for fitting prescriptions sunglasses. the only restriction I think was that for varifocals, which I have, the frame could not be rimless. I think Glasses Direct offer the same service. The cost for the sunglasses varifocals lens fitting was £79.00, I'm sure songle vision would be a lot less.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger
    As far as I know any frame can be used. Specsavers is a good place to get them as with their two for one deal you can get a normal pair of glasses at the same time.
    My "2 for 1" deal cost me £192 for my "free" pair last month. Upgrade on the frame (nothing fancy) and an upgrade on the lenses (varifocals). It's almost impossible to get anything you would want to wear for free.

If you've got a new prescription and you don't want bifocals or varifocals, I'd order them online from somewhere like Spex4less.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Correct x 2

Warning - You can buy Oakleys & have your prescription lenses fitted, but you don't get a credit for the non-prescription lens you don't need - makes for a very expensive pair of shades.

Top tip - Polarised lenses awesome for driving (and fishing)
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

My girlfriend did the 2for1 specsavers thing and got a new pair of glasses and a free pair of sunglasses. Saved her loads as she had to get some new ones because she had a new prescription and also she has to have them thinned a lot, so its good if you need that

Master

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    My "2 for 1" deal cost me £192 for my "free" pair last month. Upgrade on the frame (nothing fancy) and an upgrade on the lenses (varifocals). It's almost impossible to get anything you would want to wear for free.

If you've got a new prescription and you don't want bifocals or varifocals, I'd order them online from somewhere like Spex4less.

Eddie
    Fair enough. I wear contact lenses and only use glasses as stand-bys, so just get fairly standard ones. From what I recall the last couple of glasses cost me around £150, which seems pretty much ok to me, although I don't doubt that you can get them online for less.

I'm a happy customer of this lot: http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/

Craftsman

I went to specsavers as require glasses for driving so got one standard lenses and other pair tinted, was going for reaction lenses but they said can be hard to tint in cars due to uv protection from a windscreen.

Peter

Not all sunglasses can be made prescription, especially if they have a curve in the lens - if your prescription is not so strong, you have a better choice and can get a curved lens. D&A are happy to do this but aren't cheap. I got an ordinary pair of Police sunglasses reglazed with polarised prescription lenses from specmakers.net for about 40 quid - I bought another pair of Police glasses from the too and about 2/5 the cost of D&A, so I was quite happy.

I've had a pair of Rayban Wayfarers made into prescription sunglasses before.

Master

Most sunglass manufacturers allow for prescription lenses at least here in the US. The eye doc can special order the frames. Maui Jims are available like this.. top notch makers too.