closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: NATO review Eddies vs TSS and RLT

NATO review Eddies vs TSS and RLT

Bought one or two NATO straps over the years and just about to sell off some that I'm not using so thought I'd post some comparisons while I've still got them. Here I'll be looking at straps from Timefactors (http://www.timefactors.com), the StrapShop (http://www.watchworx.co.uk/pages/lwb/NatoG10.htm) and RLT (http://www.rltwatches.co.uk/acatalog/Military1.html).

From left to right - Eddie's 22mm grey Rhino, Eddie's 20mm green NATO; RLT's 20mm sand NATO; TSS's grey 22mm NATO

Eddies Timefactors strap on the left has much neater finishing than the others, doesn't use stitching.

Timefactors NATO has quality sand-blasted finish to the stainless steel fittings, which are nicely proportioned.

Black PVD stainless fittings on the TSS strap aren't as thick as the Timefactors metalwork but well finished.

Shiny stainless fittings on the RLT strap look flimsy compared with the Timefactors and TSS offerings, the metal is thin, but it works well enough.

Closed up of metalwork on Timefactors strap - good thickness of well-finished metal, and nice thick material on the strap - these are very comfortable and wash well.

Thin metalwork on the RLT strap and less dense mesh than the others, but still comfortable on the wrist.

Nice quality finish on the TSS strap, comfortable and washes well.

For comparison here is Eddie's Timefactors Rhino, these are wonderful heavy duty straps with curved rather than angular metalwork. I use a selection of the 22mm Rhinos (not the 20mm one pictured) on my Seiko Darth Tuna. Even after many hours in salt water and regular visits to the washing machine the strap and the metalwork look good with my 22mm Rhinos.

Finally a comparison of the strap hole finish and colours. The top one is the Timefactors green NATO, then the sand RLT NATO, then the TSS grey NATO and at the bottom the Timefactors Rhino. The holes on the RLT strap are not in a straight line. The TSS strap shows uneven melt holes, the two Timefactors straps have the nicest finish to my eye.

Conclusion - I can honestly say that as far as I can see, the Timefactors NATOs and Rhinos have the nicest finish of the ones I've tried from UK suppliers. The RLT strap is similarly priced but not in the same league, unless you prefer shiny metalwork and must have a sand coloured strap. At present I don't think that Eddie sells a tan or sand coloured NATO or Rhino. The TSS strap is pretty good if you want a NATO rather than Rhino that has black PVD'd metalwork, though having tried both I'd opt for the Rhino if you want black PVD and don't mind the thickness of the metal.
    Hope that's helpful to someone,
    Cheers
    Steve

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Re: NATO review Eddies vs TSS and RLT

thanks for taking the time to post, good review.

cheers
    mike :wink:

Master

It's very well documented that.....I HATE NATO'S

But just by looking at them one can see that Eddie's is the better strap.

Great post BTW.

Dave

I've had both Eddie's and Roy's versions, and would say the former are easily the best quality and most comfortable.

Master

Eddie's outclass all others in every respect.Simply the best!!

Thanks for posting that. Nice review - with accurate and persuasive photography.

Nice review thank you. I've been generally happy with my TSS strap, but the webbing itself is substantially thinner than the TF NATO on my Speedbird III

Fab review and confirms what I've known for a long time, Eddies Nato's are by far the best out there :thumbup:

Craftsman

I agree that Eddies NATOs are excellent quality. My only quibble is due to the Nylon being a slightly more open weave than the TSS, they tend to expand when wet. Not hugely but just enough to require a notch up when surfing.

No dispute regarding the quality , customer service, or the value for money of the Time Factors straps;

I only wish that the grey strap, (as that's my Nato of choice) was a darker hue and not so "silver" in colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes
    No dispute regarding the quality , customer service, or the value for money of the Time Factors straps;

I only wish that the grey strap, (as that's my Nato of choice) was a darker hue and not so "silver" in colour.
    Agree with that. I had one for a day and changed it for that reason.

I'm currently looking at some more colour samples but obviously, existing stock will need to be sold first.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I'm currently looking at some more colour samples but obviously, existing stock will need to be sold first.
    Eeeks! I'm off to order some more of those silverish ones for my Damaskos right now if the color will change! :shock:

Have to agree with the review, your NATOs are hands down the best (and I love the large number of holes for that perfect fit).

Edit: Ok that was an expensive set of NATOs.. put in an order for a DA37 at the same time! :lol:

No dispute regarding the quality , customer service, or the value for money of the Time Factors straps; I only wish that the grey strap, (as that's my Nato of choice) was a darker hue and not so "silver" in colour.
    I only wish there was a choice of polished as well as matt hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    No dispute regarding the quality , customer service, or the value for money of the Time Factors straps; I only wish that the grey strap, (as that's my Nato of choice) was a darker hue and not so "silver" in colour.
    I only wish there was a choice of polished as well as matt hardware.
    There is.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

With my housemaid's knee? :lol:

I bought many NATOs and among them I have two Rhinos from Eddie.
    Eddie's ones are by far the toughest I ever found.
    Compared to others and considering the cost is quite the same they're unbeatable.
    Just had some problems with 5 rings rhinos I had to turn into 3 rings by myself.
    Due to high thickness I'd suggest 3 rings rhinos from Eddie.
    Regards

How about the dimensions between the rings (ooohh err!!) I believe Eddies are bigger so work better with larger watches.

I have been very pleased with the TSS natos i really like the black PVD finish, but after all the votes for Eddies i will try his next time.

I think it's time Eddie started putting black hardware on some of his Natos.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

john
    Have you been reading my orders?

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

john
    Have you been reading my orders?

Eddie

I use remote viewing... and I also saw a Bond with black cutlery. :drunken:

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Perfect Nato look^ some black buckles for the retro rubber would be nice too :D

Journeyman

Hi newbie question ,
    Excuse the ignorance ,but I have a Sieko I would like to put a strap onto,whats the difference
    between a Nato and a Rhino.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark EM
    Hi newbie question ,
    Excuse the ignorance ,but I have a Sieko I would like to put a strap onto,whats the difference
    between a Nato and a Rhino.
    The Rhino is chunkier and has oblong hardware.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Eddie's NATO's retain their colour much longer than any others I've had - with salt water exposure it's quite noticeable.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Journeyman

Thanks abraxas,
    Just checked the pics at the start of the post and I see what you mean.
    You know what they say, If youve got bad eyes, Have em out!

Thanks for the review as was looking to get a Nato strap but unsure which.

Master

I'm wearing a black NATO on my PRS-17C at the moment and it's very well made. I'm not a great fan of NATO straps,but I wonder if a sand coloured version from Eddie could be made? I do like the Australian colour which I've seen on this forum.

Steve

anyone any ideas where I can get a dark brown nato?

Craftsman

The only brown natos I'm aware of are Leather ones.
    Might be worth contacting Gas Gas Bones to see if they can knock something up for you.

thanks for that. didnt know of them. website looks good. will research it. thanks again

Hadn't looked at this thread for a while - thanks guys for all the kind words. Looking forward to seeing any new colours/black PVD metalwork from Eddie in the future.
    Cheers
    Steve

This post came in really handy - was just about to purchase a Nato when I discovered that TF was closed for stock take. Nearly went elsewhere but now will just wait till it re-opens. Only a couple of days so I should cope.

Journeyman

Eddie
    I'm about to do my part and help deplete your stock.
    Great thread, the photos show hands down which straps are the best.

Craftsman

Eddie
    would love to see one from the Time Factors in "golden sand".

thanks Steve for your nice review by the way :)

bests,
    Krit

Nice topic as i was going to buy one NATO soon.

A year late (!) but it was this very review that finally pushed me into seeing what all this Nato business was about, so I'll add a quick cheers too if I may. Both the Nato and the Rhino arrived this morning, superb turnaround and quality products.

Bit of an all round winner eh.

Master

I've purchased afew of Eddies NATO'S and have never had a problem with them,very well made and long enough,I've only had one from TSS, even though the qaulity is as good I think that they are a tad too short .

Master

I have 2 TSS straps and one Bond from Eddie. I was looking for a grey NATO and went with one of Eddie's examples. (On its way to me now.)

IMO the TSS and TF are of comparable quality. Im prefectly happy with both.

Master

Eddies are the only Natos I have (except for a couple of ones I was given, and they are way inferior). Wouldn't buy 'em from anyone else. However, I do really like Zulus, but that's a different thing. :D