closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRECISTA Commander Titan

Grand Master

PRECISTA Commander Titan

I bought one of these :)
    Anyone else?..............and what do you think?
    I wont be filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, I am not a number, I am a free man, my life is my own!!!
    Be seeing you
    Toodle pip
    Griff.

Re: PRECISTA Commander Titan

I think Andrew might have one, but I'm not 100% sure.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Don't own one, but have eyed it a few times.

Still debating it...

The problem with these is that the shortish tritium life makes them a poor long term investment. Their value diminishes over time and in 10 years they are essentially landfill. Unless you can get a redial and that will probably cost the same as a new watch.

AFAIK Eddie has had his stock for nearly 5 years so the useful life is around another 5. Thats hard to swallow for a £200 watch.

I've always regarded the sub £100 Trasers as the only sensible permanent light purchase and then only as brand new stock.

Yep - I've had one for about four years now.

Big and light - a great utility watch 8)

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade
    The problem with these is that the shortish tritium life makes them a poor long term investment. Their value diminishes over time and in 10 years they are essentially landfill. Unless you can get a redial and that will probably cost the same as a new watch.

AFAIK Eddie has had his stock for nearly 5 years so the useful life is around another 5. Thats hard to swallow for a £200 watch.

I've always regarded the sub £100 Trasers as the only sensible permanent light purchase and then only as brand new stock.
    I've had them since December 2004 and the life of Tritium tubes is greater than the life of painted Tritium lume. I have only 6 in stock now, all fitted with new batteries.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

I've had them since December 2004 and the life of Tritium tubes is greater than the life of painted Tritium lume. I have only 6 in stock now, all fitted with new batteries.

Eddie
    Talking of batteries, mine needs a new one (the EOL indicator has kicked in) and a re-seal. I'm assuming I can just nip it into a decent watch repairer... is there anything special that needs doing? Sorry if it's a daft question.

Grand Master

I think they are an excellent long term investment.
    The main thing with this version of the Traser is the titanium case and sapphire crystal.
    It is that light and comfortable to wear you can hardly feel it is on your wrist, and even though it is 43mm dia ex crown it is only 11mm thick.
    The lume at night is astonishing.
    I put a new 395 battery in mine..........dead easy and straightforward. Removing the screw back carefully and refitting it carefully doesn't affect the seal and a reseal is just not necessary at all.
    Eddie's comment on the life of lume should be reassuring.............it is to me.........and mine shines like a torch in the night.
    The bezel is very firm and tough and ligns up exactly
    The watch is as tough as they come, and it is very clear why they are looked upon as a true military watch, and I shall be hanging on to mine...........a great bit of kit
    I wont be filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, I am not a number, I am a free man, my life is my own!!!
    Be seeing you
    Toodle pip
    Griff.

It has always seemed to me that Traser could be on to good little earner replacing hands and index phials. I have a £300 Traser Classic, heavy, reassuring and like my Marathon TSAR there is no time, day or pitch-black night when the time is not easily readable. I thought about a Commander but I don't really need another quartz diver.

Yes, you can buy a fibre-cased Luminox for £100 and throw it away after 15 years - the standard life for any cheap quartz - but isn't one of the points of having a watch collection its history, so each ding and mark tells its own story?

A top field/workout watch - wore mine to the gym regularly in 2008 and again when we moved from Baghdad to FOB Normandy (where electricity was a rare commodity. Great for a quick time check in the middle of the night! And as reported above, very light and comfortable on the wrist.

Craftsman

I thought that GLTS was considered too bright for night discipline, IAW an earlier post regarding this. :wink:

I notice you're in NSW now. At RNSH?

Since we were surrounded by a battalion of Strykers and in turn surrounded by a brigade of IA infantry, I figured I was safe. And the only time I went out into town was during the day :wink: I'd still be cautious in recommending one to someone working outside the wire at night on a regular basis.

Just back a couple of weeks ago and have been on hol - need to change my profile. I was living in Nth Sydney and working in Crow's Nest at the Mater. A lot of our anaesthesia folks worked both at the Mater and RNSH, but I'm only sure of their nicknames: Ferret, Sinkers, Animal, Piggy, etc. Going back to the same group (NSOSMC) next year for a shoulder/UE fellowship is still an option. Loved living there and really enjoyed my time.

I recall speaking to H3 Watches a while ago as I have the Traser version of this but find the 24hour indexes make the dial quite busy and asked them about swapping the dial for a plainer version that they also do. This wasn't a problem and he mentioned that for a service they would also replace the vials which would give it another 10 years! Can't recall the cost but it wasn't outrageous - not too sure if they'd do this for the Precista but could try asking - money is money at the end of the day!

Grand Master

Not unlike tritium vials, the electronics of a quartz movement make for a limited-time investment. I assume a lifetime of about 25 years for such a watch (with or without vial replacement), and that's the basis of my calculation. Chances are, some of my mechanical watches aren't repairable by that time, too.

Tool watches are not Pateks which are "just being kept for future generations", they are menat to be used. IMHO, nothing beats GTLS lume at night. 8)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Nalu
    Just back a couple of weeks ago and have been on hol - need to change my profile. I was living in Nth Sydney and working in Crow's Nest at the Mater. A lot of our anaesthesia folks worked both at the Mater and RNSH, but I'm only sure of their nicknames: Ferret, Sinkers, Animal, Piggy, etc. Going back to the same group (NSOSMC) next year for a shoulder/UE fellowship is still an option. Loved living there and really enjoyed my time.
    Crowes Nest is a lovely place to live. My brother used to live in Willoughby, just down the road. Our Anaesthetics College is in Crowes Nest. I have painful memories of sitting in a small room with 20 others, trying to answer 300 MCQs as fast as I could. :D If you do come back to Sydney, do give me a yell, I'm often up there wearing my white apron in the city.

Craftsman

The PRESISTA CoTi is a great field watch. Have hade mine four years-ish. Its light weight and legible in low-light and no-light conditions. The bezel is also very useful. One of my better buys.

Wearing it right now BTW.

rgds,
    /joakim

i find the investment argument a bit odd as this is definitely a watch for wearing and not sticking away in a draw in the hope of making a few quid.
    to me its a bit like saying you wont buy a new bike becuase the tyres might wear out.
    i have a very similar traser, although not as well specced and im very happy with it.
    i have been looking at the possibility of getting new dial / phials fitted as im sure id need these sometime in the near future.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I have one of the Traser line that is similar. It is the watch that gets worn when engaged in outdoor activities and things that might cause damage to a larger thicker piece. Very useful, unobtrusive ( which is a plus point on some occasions ). Does just what it supposed to do. If it suits the purpose I suspect that the Precista is a better buy than the Traser.

Agree with the previous comments about tool/investment watches. This is one that will sustain serious prolonged use in adverse conditions.

All sold now.