closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Precista PRS 50B how good are they?

Master

Precista PRS 50B how good are they?

Hi all,

I know these are Eddies watches so I am sure you will all love them. I am really into vintage watches now and not so much new ones but I saw this on SC last night and i really like it as it's based on a 60s design I think, are Precista good quality and value and if you sell them on are they desirable watches to own. I would have like a limited edition but Eddie says he is doing 200 of them with the old stock AS2063 movement dating from the 1960s then he will use the ETA2824 movement from then on, which is the better movement or are they both good. Any advice would be appreciated on this make as I know nothing about them if you have one how do they wear as my wrists are only 6.5" I have a Seiko tuna and I can carry that off but the lugs on the Tuna don't stick out further than the case. :D
    Thanks

Andy

Master

Re: Precista PRS 50B how good are they?

I'll tell you later, picking mine up tonight!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

The AS is certainly more authentic but I would say that the 2824 has to be the better movement. As for the quality, I just wish that more major manufactures took the same care over fit and finish as I have found on the three Timefactors watches I have owned.

Master

Hey Lippy i saw you had bought that :D please let me know what you think later, did you sell that omega yet? M4tt thanks for that I just wonder if the AS might be a better bet as he is only doing 200 with that movement is that a swiss movement?

Andy

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

All Eddies watches are good, they dont hang about on SC either ( present or past ! )

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

I guess that depends on what you are looking for. A. Schild certainly were a Swiss company, they merged with ETA in 1978. The movement in question is this one.

http://www.christophlorenz.de/watch/mov ... 3.php?l=en

Movements are always a series of compromises and so it is often difficult to say, without fear of contradiction that one is better than another. However I think many would prefer the 2824 which, while not as authentic, will certainly be easier and cheaper to source parts for and repair.

I would like to add that the 2824 of today is manufactured to the minimum standard required to enable it to perform as it should. The AS2063 was an immensely popular movement and spares are easily available today.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman

hi andy
    i own one from the first batch. if you read through the timefactors area you will find some early comments. the bezel is sloppy (but rotates even undersea). mine seems not to be aligned. eddie pointed out it is an optical illusion, but i use optical means to read the watch so..i was thinking about selling it, despite the fact that i couldn't use the sc (yet, and maybe it is all good for my finance)

after 2 weeks i stopped looking at it and i started wearing it. that was nice. it's really pleasant to use and even to listen to (for this reason alone i would buy the as and not the eta). i got a couple of nice watches but the look and feel of 50b set it apart. i like it more than the 50, it is less of a tool watch because of the more elegant dial

timekeeping was globally better than the speedie at +9s/d but with bigger hikes between out-of-the-wrist nightime and daytime. but what is a "better movement"? a better timekeeping? then buy quartz. for this watch i would buy a vintage movement

in short, it's good. very good. expecially when you factor in the price

now the bad news. i have a 6.75 wrist and i use the smallest setting. so you have to find another strap

I don't own a PRS-50B but i did own a Non-LE PRS-50 and that was superbly made and like a moron i sold it oh and Eddie's customer service is a lesson to all those brand names.To him his clientele always come first.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

*Opens mouth to change feet*

Master

:D

Any further south and i would have wet feet

It's bloody good.....now stop flapping about and buy one! :D

Master

LOL at village :D I am flapping about, that bezel alignment and play in it sort of bothers me a bit i read the thread when the watch came out and a misaligned bezel would bug me but that may be an isolated one, as I am sure Eddie would sort it out. Do you really rate yours.

I have to say there is no play in my bezel at all....

Master

Oh that's good to know and does it align up nicely? I am so into vintage watches I think you are too if I remember rightly but because of the design I love the look of it even though it is a new watch, does it look good in the flesh?

Looks superb.....wears great and is very tactile. I don't have any issues with alignement either. It is a 'new-vintage' watch if you like.
    You won't be disappointed.

Master

Nice shot that village looks great, I just hope it looks ok on my 6.5" wrists it depends how far the lugs go :D

Journeyman

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and I have to say it is such an uber cool watch.

The acrylic takes some getting used to and is awful under the fluoro lights in the office at work (the reflections aaarrgh), but fantastic in natural light (and I forgot how easy acrylic is to scratch - I've already had the polywatch onto it).

I agree the rubber is a bit too long for me too but I managed to cut another hole and this is fine. I've got it on an omega mesh at the moment which is (almost) perfect (i only have a 20mm mesh at the moment, in the market me thinks for 22mm).

Mine is running between 15-22s/day slow which is something I'd like to see improved and it does seem to vary a bit more than my 2824 based watches; but I guess this could be improved with regulation. If I was to be super critical there is a tiny bit of fluff/hair on the dial but this can happen and is easilly fixed up when/if needs be.

My bezel is fine and clicks loadly and robustly and is very tight to move. All bezels in my experience have some play in them and this is no worse than my Tudor Hydronaut for example. The alignment is fine, but yes the acrylic can play games with the optics and does actually make it more difficult to tell the time from an angle (but who cares about that...).

Master

It's a good watch. Mine keeps great time, the bezel is well aligned (I'm still convinced that many of the problems a few people have reported are due to the depth of the rehaut and the effect of the crystal). It's not perfect, of course - the depth is slightly startling at first, but if you live with it, it grows on you, or at least it did on me.

Master

Thanks guys all good stuff, i am going to Sheffield on monday so I will see if i can see eddie and have a look at one [famous last words]

Master

This is my first Precista - picked up from SC and I have to say I'm hugely impressed. I thought it was a bit odd looking when it first arrived because of the depth, but now I absolutely love it - I find it hard to take my eyes off it sometimes, and love the way it changes its look slightly from different angles. There's only the tiniest bit of play in my bezel - but no more or less than any other watch. Timekeeping seems very good on mine - seems to have settled down to about -5 sec per day - power reserve seems very good too. I've just put mine on one of Eddie's Bond Nato straps which I think suits it very well (arrived less than 24 hours after ordering - thank you Eddie). The PloProf style strap it comes on is also rather lovely. I also think it looks great for either smart or casual wear. My only very minor criticism is that the bezel is a little difficult to turn because of the smooth edges. All my other watches are fighting for wrist time at the moment...and losing.

I guess you could say I'm a big fan :drunken:

Craftsman

I think the 50B is an excellent watch. Looks great (IMO clearly!) I've had no problems with "loose" or misaligned bezel. Accuracy is approx +8 sec/day which is more than accpetable. No problems with size/fit with my 6.75" wrists. Not worn a rubber strap before but its very comfortable. I like having a movement diferent from the ubiquitous 2824. Lume is good and looks marvellous.

My only minor issue when I first got it was that the face seemed very small, probably due to the depth of the rehaut (someone described it a like looking through a porthole). I now find my self looking at the whole watch ie including the bezel, if that makes sense :drunken:

If you've made it this far through the buying process you'll only regret not getting one :!:

Master

Hi entity999 any chance of seeing a wristshot of yours as my wrists are just slightly smaller than yours a couple of shots would be great especially one straight on showing both lugs on the wrist, I have a chance to see one on monday so providing I like it which I know I will and so long as it's not too big I will get one. I have a Seiklo Tuna and I can wear that fine I know the PRS is slightly bigger so fingers crossed :D

andy just go for it, i dont think you will be dissapointed. its not 100% perfect in my book, but it has so much charm that chances are you will fall in love with it anyway
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

Hi seikopath, I was just about to PM you and ask your thoughts as I know you have had the passaround one :D

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage
    Hi entity999 any chance of seeing a wristshot of yours as my wrists are just slightly smaller than yours a couple of shots would be great especially one straight on showing both lugs on the wrist, I have a chance to see one on monday so providing I like it which I know I will and so long as it's not too big I will get one. I have a Seiklo Tuna and I can wear that fine I know the PRS is slightly bigger so fingers crossed :D
    Hi Andy, got a bit of a manic weekend lined up but will see what I can do!

Cheers

Nick

Master

Thanks Nick :D