closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches you like, but would never buy?

Grand Master

Watches you like, but would never buy?

I saw a watch in the classifieds that i have loved the look off for the last 2 years, over that time i've almost pulled the trigger on it about 4 times either on ebay, here or elsewhere. But there is just one thing stopping me, to give you more detail it's the IWC Top Gun and for me the dial looks great, the ceramic casing is very nice and i even like the strap, but every single time i see it and think of buying it the words 'you can be my wingman anytime' pop into my head and all i can think of is how i'm not really a fan of the movie.

So does anyone else have an irrational thought stopping them buying a perfectly good watch?

Re: Watches you like, but would never buy?

:lol:

I like the watch, a bit too big for me although there is one thing that has stopped my buying, on the side of the case is the Top Gun emblem :shock: why do that? is it not bad enough it is on the case back!!!

Thomas Reid

I would have even more of a problem. I couldn't bring myself to wear the watch unless I had been at that school. Just like I couldn't bring myself to wear a watch made out of bits of the titanic unless I had been aboard when it went down (and then I probably wouldn't want to).

More generally, that are zillions and zillions of watches that I like but would never buy. (I'm rather promiscuous in my watch liking.)

Best wishes,
    Bob

There are some cheap German watches by Junkers, Messerschmidt that have figher planes on the dial - ugh!

Have liked the Frank Muller conquestador chrono for a few years now, one popped up at a very reasonable price but i feel that i would have trouble moving it on so have never bothered....

corum bubble shark. but im not sure that its due to an irrational reason...
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Plenty. I quite admire some gold watches, how elegant and smart they look, but I never wear gold and I don't really wear dress watches, so I'd never buy one. I've found PVD to be the same, I like the look, but not on my wrist, so now I just admire from a distance.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977
    I saw a watch in the classifieds that i have loved the look off for the last 2 years, over that time i've almost pulled the trigger on it about 4 times either on ebay, here or elsewhere. But there is just one thing stopping me, to give you more detail it's the IWC Top Gun and for me the dial looks great, the ceramic casing is very nice and i even like the strap, but every single time i see it and think of buying it the words 'you can be my wingman anytime' pop into my head and all i can think of is how i'm not really a fan of the movie.

So does anyone else have an irrational thought stopping them buying a perfectly good watch?
    i thought you could get that one without the TG logo ?

karl

Master

I've learnt my lessons I probably wouldn't buy (new) anything I thought I'd really struggle to shift later. Fortunately I usually quite like popular watches

Quote Originally Posted by Karl

karl
    There is the discontinued 3789 which is a 44mm double chrono, which came out before the top gun branding.
    It is serious money on the used market now: £8k+.

Azimuth stuff, and I quite like some of the Schaumburg watches. I reckon they would be difficult to move on although that has not stopped me in the past!

I like so much about the RLT concept. British, customer focussed, short runs and a good community around the watches. Having dealt with Roy I know that it is backed up by decent customer service too.

Then I look at the dials and, so far at least, my credit card stays in my pocket.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by swatch

karl
    There is the discontinued 3789 which is a 44mm double chrono, which came out before the top gun branding.
    thanks, i'll have a search for pics

karl

Grand Master

karl

Yeah, i had the chance of one of those a while back, it's a better size and clean, but as you say they're just silly money now, it was a limited run and then IWC went bigger and dafter :D

There are loads I like but would never buy.
    This is that top of that list:

Unfortunately I didn't choose a career that pays the kind of money needed to buy one of these, nor do I have a rich uncle that might leave me enough to buy one.

Chris

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

I never say never
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade
    I like so much about the RLT concept. British, customer focussed, short runs and a good community around the watches. Having dealt with Roy I know that it is backed up by decent customer service too. Then I look at the dials and, so far at least, my credit card stays in my pocket.
    The barking mad way he runs his forum keeps him from trousering any of the Seamaster73 lucre. Likewise, I've always fancied a Doxa Caribbean, but the same applies to them. Sometimes you have to vote with your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade
    I like so much about the RLT concept. British, customer focussed, short runs and a good community around the watches. Having dealt with Roy I know that it is backed up by decent customer service too. Then I look at the dials and, so far at least, my credit card stays in my pocket.
    The barking mad way he runs his forum keeps him from trousering any of the Seamaster73 lucre. Likewise, I've always fancied a Doxa Caribbean, but the same applies to them. Sometimes you have to vote with your wallet.
    Agreed, which is why I don't have a login there. However, one of Roy's watches was the first one I bought online, the RLT69: which I still enjoy wearing today (5 years later).

I serious love the look of Richard Mille watches, but the prices are just mental with a basic steel at around £35k. Now if they were somewhere nearer the Hublot Bang or AP Royal Oak level of sub-£10k.... :?

For me its a very long list...but i hate the idea of losing money on a watch!

So that rules lots out!

firstly, there aren't a lot of watches that i like, but would never consider buying. the only reasons why i would never buy a watch that i liked is because it's either too big or i think the selling price is too much relative to the watch. (i don't factor resale value into it, just the selling price). the two watches that fit this "like but never buy" category are the G-P Seahawk II Pro and the PAM 249 (Cali dial Radiomir).

the G-P is staggeringly thick and just a little too big for my 6.75" wrist. i also don't think the inhouse movement is all that reliable, but the size & thickness are the primary reasons.

as for Panerai: the history behind the early 'Cali' models model is rather interesting. at first, i hated the California dial. then over time, i accepted it. i'll likely never grow to love it, but at least it is uniquely different from all the other Panerai dials. i wouldn't mind owning a PAM 249, but don't think they're worth the $10K asking price which several sellers are peddling on the FS forums (retail is considerably more). and it's also a little bigger than I think I can pull off too.

By definition if I like a watch then I would consider buying it. It is a considerable lack of funds that always stops me! :cry: :wink:
    F.T.F.A.

I agree with Magirus. If I like it I certainly want it! What stops me is the lack of funds for say, a a vintage P-P Calatrava, new Breguet Tourbillon or A. Lange and Sohn, for example. Having said that I am also aware that the Lange models that I like are too big for me and I am reluctant to get into gold as I much prefer the look and durability of stainless steel. I once saw an inconspicuous stainless 50s P-P that I loved but it was even more expensive than contemporary gold cased versions due to its rarity!

Master

Obviously the 2 most rational points preventing me from buying a watch are an ongoing lack of funds and not seeing the relative value for money, but I think that this thread is more aimed at the situation where you have the funds and see the value... so what stops you buying it?

For me there are normally 2 reasons.

1. I fear that I may feel a bit of a tool wearing it because it looks expensive or flashy.

2. I want something different to the norm and the watch I am considering is too mainstream.

The best example for me are the Rolex divers. I love them and see the quality, but find it very difficult to consider buying one. Totally irrational, but to me that's the nub of the question in this thread.

Craftsman

Gold watches like Rolex 116718. Lovely, but a lot of money and too flashy for me.

Master

Nautilus and Royal Oak chronographs. I like them, but it's just too much money for me to spend on a watch.

I getting more and more mean as I get older.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey
    I never say never
    We're talking about watches not women. :)

karl
    Someone I know paid £12K for one of those, not very long ago.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by patrick
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey
    I never say never
    We're talking about watches not women. :)
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    At the top of the hill, where the land meets the sky and the sea still close behind me.

I would love a Rolex Sub, but I cannot get my head around spending that sort of cash on a single watch. If I could find one for less than a couple of £K I may be tempted though. I really love the look of the Sub though, may get myself a Marcello C or a Steinhart later this year, depending on funds of course.

Quote Originally Posted by SaabMan
    I would love a Rolex Sub, but I cannot get my head around spending that sort of cash on a single watch. If I could find one for less than a couple of £K I may be tempted though. I really love the look of the Sub though, may get myself a Marcello C or a Steinhart later this year, depending on funds of course.
    The problem is , however, you will still hanker after a Sub! :twisted: :wink:
    F.T.F.A.

Possibly Patek of any kind - love a couple of models - but other expenses and wacthes will come 1st - also many other brands Tourbillons - fantastic - but out of my sphere.
    It's just a matter of time...

Franck Muller, quite a few models. Obviously funds play a big part in this, but the image whiffs a little of Championship footballer :(

Seiko Marine Master. I think they're fantastic watches but could never justify spending that amount of money on a Seiko. On the other end of the scale, I like the look of some Rolex watches but would never buy one - they're just a bit too obvious for me.

Master

For me it would be a 5517 Milsub, like is not strong enough... I would never buy it due to the fact that I could never afford it! I wish I had found one in the not so distant past when no one knew or cared when they were pennies. But new watches.. the last time I was in my AD he took out a Patek 5960p, I didnt really want to hold it let alone put it on my wrist becasue I have wanted one for a long time and re the previous argument I couldnt afford it and even if I could I doubt I could handle walking around with 47k strapped to my wrist :shock:

That said all could change c'mon the lottery win :D

Quote Originally Posted by BigD
    For me it would be a 5517 Milsub, like is not strong enough... I would never buy it due to the fact that I could never afford it! I wish I had found one in the not so distant past when no one knew or cared when they were pennies. But new watches.. the last time I was in my AD he took out a Patek 5960p, I didnt really want to hold it let alone put it on my wrist becasue I have wanted one for a long time and re the previous argument I couldnt afford it and even if I could I doubt I could handle walking around with 47k strapped to my wrist :shock:

I thought they were £37 grand ,its slighly more affordable + discount ,Intrest free & re-mortage its a posssiblility? :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonny
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD

I thought they were £37 grand ,its slighly more affordable + discount ,Intrest free & re-mortage its a posssiblility? :)
    That would cost me the missus as well :( !

Journeyman

Could not agree more !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker
    There are loads I like but would never buy.
    This is that top of that list:

Unfortunately I didn't choose a career that pays the kind of money needed to buy one of these, nor do I have a rich uncle that might leave me enough to buy one.

Chris

Corum Bridge in Rose Gold.

Love the idea, can't afford the price.

It won't look good on the wrist.

However it has something? :banghead:

Apprentice

Omega Planet Ocean, I love it and looked very long and hard at it but it just doesn't sit right on my wrist. Pah! :(

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy24
    Corum Bridge in Rose Gold.

Love the idea, can't afford the price.

It won't look good on the wrist.

However it has something? :banghead:
    Gevril make a Swiss made run off (a homage) of the Corum Bridge!