closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Work watch spotting

Master

Work watch spotting

Am I the only one who partakes in the odd bit of what watches do my colleagues wear?

Save a Rolex Sub, I'm yet to see any mechanicals despite the smattering of Omega, Tag Heuers etc I notice during the week.

I'm sure this is very common, and probably a pointless thread thinking about it!

:drunken:

Master

Re: Work watch spotting

I do, although not at my office as nobody really has (or is likely to have) anything of interest. I was at a meeting on Wednesday and spent ages trying to work out what the chap opposite had - 99% sure it was a black 1675 or 16750 with nice original folded bracelet and pretty unsuitable white gold redial.

Master

I do it more with clients than colleagues. Rolex sports dominate heavily, with a few Tags and the odd more interesting thing.

The big boss is a watch collector but we dont' get to chat that much. Luckily.

my floor is pretty good.
    my subsection has a bloke who has a mad tokyo led thing, cheapo quartz dude, fake daytona dude, my little collection and one guy who doesnt wear a watch at all.
    the only others of note are an air king in the next section and an o&w in another.
    one of the manager chappies has a small but expensive collection of ball, sinn and such - mostly not my thing but he does have a couple of vintage seiko chronos which are quite nice.

Funnily enough I only noticed that a colleague was wearing a Daytona the other day. I deliberately didn't let on that I had noticed and will not let on until I can maximise the comic effect. I had a suspicion that he is a WIS after he asked about a pocket watch I was wearing a few months ago. Other than one other colleague who has a new Seamaster WIS's are thin on the ground here. I had to attend a meeting last week which was attended by a couple of architects - one of whom had a Dunhill and the other had something that looked like a Nomos but was more likely one of those quartz Alessis.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger
    I do, although not at my office as nobody really has (or is likely to have) anything of interest.
    +1. By far the majority are department store/fashion brands with coloured dials and metal braclets. One guy wears a gold coloured Rotary quartz on leather and that's it. Many of the younger guys don't wear a watch at all.

Not that I'm bothered, but in the few years I've been a WIS, no-one has ever noticed the watch I'm wearing enough to comment.

Master

Not that I'm bothered, but in the few years I've been a WIS, no-one has ever noticed the watch I'm wearing enough to comment.
    Same here, although I did get a few positive remarks about my Stowa MO (since moved on).

In my line of work, if there's an important meeting I normally change down from whatever I'm wearing to a Seiko, a PRS18 or an old and fairly battered Heuer rather than the other way round, and the only other "proper" watch you're likely to see is an Oris I bought a colleague as a present.

My business partner wears his KEF (speakers) watch, a freebie, and can't understand why I like watches as I'm usually wearing a different one every day :D Probably the same reason why I don't understand his obsession with Middlesbrough FC :D

Rod

I'm always trying to check out other people's wrist furniture at work! At my company nothing much to note, apart from the MD who has a Daytona and one of the directors who sometimes sports a Railmaster (in rotation with a cheapo Casio).

The majority of my time however is spent at client offices and there it's a different matter. I find the bankers (ahem) love blingy Panerai numbers, Daytonas and the like (pieces that look expensive); the lawyers go for more of a dress watch and the insurance guys are all about the Rolex.

Many times I've broken the ice by noticing and commenting on a watch.

I always look, but rarely see anything good.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

See too many nasty quartz things when I look (mostly look like they were presents bought by wives/mothers), it is fun though when you find a colleague with a decent timepiece.

A lot of blingy watches where I work, Omega and Breitling very common and you see a good few Rolex Sub's as well. Best watch I've seen was a solid gold Rolex Sub. Talk about bling! Random cheap watches also common!

[quote="Lippy"]Am I the only one who partakes in the odd bit of what watches do my colleagues wear?

I think we all do it.
    People you don't really know that well will do it to you, and check out the watch your wearing. They will make up their mind's thinking one of two things, lucky git, or git with a replica.

Master

At the place I'm currently working at, I don't think I have see ANYONE wear a watch, other than the receptionist who seems to wear some 40mm (maybe even 42/44mm it looks large on her!) fashion watch from Monsoon or whever (apologies to her if it is indeed a real Submariner encrusted with diamonds and other precious stones), and the MD, who wears a Seiko chrono. Two tone, titanium by the looks of it. Although sad to report that last time I got a close look at it, it was 5 days adrift.

My wrist wear is wasted on that place :D

Last place though, different kettle of fish. Bloke I was working with wore some very nice pieces. JS Watch Co, Raymond Weil, Movado, and a Corum, where a few of the pieces I saw him with.

Master

At my place there are 4 Rolex, a fake DSSD :shock: a tissot and an Omega, plus whatever I'm wearing :D

I suffer from this affliction and know what everyone in my team and our supplier's team wears. My boss has a Seiko 5 which is simple but nice but he never sets the date which really annoys me. It shouldn't, but there you go.

Serious lack of decent watches here too. I dont have a lot to go at either but it's an ecclectic mix including a couple of auto's with Miyota movements a PRS-10 and a 17q. Quite a few comments over the last year or so but when you go into a little deail they just don't understand. The 17 on a Watchadoo lumpy has always drawn most comments. Have a colleague who wears a fake Daytona and thats the closest it gets to being good because it's actually very well finished.

My Big Boss is a super-WIS. He has probably every watch above the 10k (AP, JLC, PP) mark. And it's really depressing :x
    He was the first person in AT with a Extreme World Chrono.... etc.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

I always check out other peoples watch - just genuinely curious as to the choices other people make.

However, I find it even more interesting watching people clock (ged'it :roll: ) what is on your wrist. Car salesman for prestige brands are masters of this. They do the subtle 'am I wasting my time' glance down at the wrist. It never ceases to amuse me. It isn't just car dealers, the last chap I caught doing it was at B&O.

Not anything good to look at at work (except the boss's 88 DJ, but I am bored of that), however after years (and I mean years) of casually looking at wrists, I spot 2 (yes 2) Breitling Aerospaces in the same week during the lunchtime perambulation (this week) having seen none in years!

Banned

As a scientist (and academic!) I don't think I could have it worse. There's a post-doc on my floor with quite a nice Rado, but otherwise any kind of extravagance is frowned upon, and actually, pretty impractical. My work often involves lifting things, screwing things, fixing things, etc., and there's always a chance of dings and scratches. So, I just tend to wear something durable like my G-Shock Frogman... If I do wear something nice, it's generally not blingy, and no-one's sufficiently knowledgable to comment...sometimes I wonder why I bother... :roll:

For some reason everything in my place is a Tag quartz.

There's one bloke with a Sub date and I have seen a lady who wears a vintage 1680.

Other than that - Tags, Tags and more Tags.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jegra
    As a scientist (and academic!) I don't think I could have it worse. There's a post-doc on my floor with quite a nice Rado, but otherwise any kind of extravagance is frowned upon, and actually, pretty impractical. My work often involves lifting things, screwing things, fixing things, etc., and there's always a chance of dings and scratches. So, I just tend to wear something durable like my G-Shock Frogman... If I do wear something nice, it's generally not blingy, and no-one's sufficiently knowledgable to comment...sometimes I wonder why I bother... :roll:
    +1. I`m a chemist working in industry and I find exactly the same. Most of the scruffy (albeit very bright) gits can`t even be bothered to dress themselves properly. I`m finishing at the end of the year, never to return chemistry.

Paul

Several of my work colleagues are big watch fans & a couple of them have even joined TZ on my suggestion & those guys were different watches to work most day's as do I.

That aside there are loads of very well paid people, who've just no interest & therefore wear some pretty poor stuff - several Georgio Armani, D&G etc.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Grand Master

Car salesman for prestige brands are masters of this. They do the subtle 'am I wasting my time' glance down at the wrist. It never ceases to amuse me.

I deliberately wear the 'wrong' watch to throw them off the scent! However, when I`ve gone in to negotiate I wear something serious and turn up looking smart. I also wear my serious head too, which is a rarity these days :D :D :D

Had to make an emergency visit to a dentist last week. Biting the bullet (pun) I made a private appointment, accepting the cost would bring tears to my eyes. I deliberately turned up in a cheap watch and slightly shabby clothes, parking my motor out of the way to avoid giving a prosperous impression.....typical of the tight yorkshire git that I am!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    +1. I`m a chemist working in industry and I find exactly the same. Most of the scruffy (albeit very bright) gits can`t even be bothered to dress themselves properly. I`m finishing at the end of the year, never to return chemistry.

Paul
    The very reason I left medicine and medical research.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brucey
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958

Paul
    The very reason I left medicine and medical research.
    Well maybe the time I leave the bench and become a proper post-doc / group leader I'll get the chance to change my ways...but for the time being, the nice things only get wrist time at weekends... *sigh

Journeyman
    Sydney, Australia; London, United Kingdom

Work in a investment bank and see some pretty good ones (but a lot of highly paid people have crap ones). Notable mentions are

Omega Bond (quite a few)

Planet Ocean Chrono

Montblanc Chrono

Vintage Omega 321 Speedy and Vintage Railmaster (both impressive)

Omega Seamaster Chrono's

Rolex Explorers

Omega Constellation Double Eagle Chrono

Omega Olympic Chrono / Chronoscope

Omega Deville

Rolex Datejusts

Cartier Tank Americane

Tag Carrera

Best one I have seen was a Vacheron Contstantin which was worn on our former head of securitisation (this is the now dodgy packaged debts that all the banks bought and screwed themselves). It was pretty nice

Yes - I do look at watches at work.

Master

I echo the experience of the the scientists above, I am an engineer at the mo and wouldn't you know it the one day last year I wore my then most expensive watch I had the chance to go on an Apache. I don't think I have ever been so careful.

I have to admit that when visiting companies I do tend to look at wrists etc. can't help it but as a general rule its pretty rare to see a really nice watch on an engineers wrist, although I could have sworn that one guy had a Glashutte Original at a company down in South Wales. Some pilots have nice watches, maybe a Breitling but I have seen the occasional Rolex as well.

Master

Oil and Gas is loaded with Rolex, Subs and SDs mainly. Lots of Breitlings, Tags and Omegas also...

but I have seen the occasional Rolex as well
    It never ceases to amaze me - Rolex produce a million watches annually (allegedley) WHERE do they all go?
    I ocassionally see a decent watch when i travel first class on the trains, but apart from that not "out in the wild". However, in one of my businesses everyone i meet is wearing something quite decent - for example the 21 year old assistant wears a bi metal sub! - from Blancpain 50 fathoms, AP, Hublot, IWC, really unusual stuff. However, most of them are totally without clue as to what they are wearing, a "mate" has usually suggsted it.

Banned

I do watch-spotting at work and when commuting, the best WIS watch I've seen was a Panerai of some description on the tube last month.

You see a lot of Rolex in first class but work is mainly Seiko and the odd Tag at best.

Journeyman

I love looking out for notable watches while on the train but rarely come across anything special though. One of the most notable was a rose gold Hublot Big Bang which was a little too blingy for my tastes. Also had a couple of curious stares from a fellow Panerai wearer while I had my Panerai FER on too :)

I love looking out for notable watches while on the train
    I rarely see anything special on my local commute by train.

But last week the man opposite me had a Daytona!

Craftsman

At work - full of engineers so high street brands dominate - Rotary Seiko & Tissot seem to dominate as regards analogues & there are loads of digital Casios! practical people by nature so have had the "What's the point of spending so much on a watch - my £8.95 job from Argos is more accurate than any Rolex / Breitling / Omega (delete as applicable)" non-argument quite a few times!

The girls seem to be more into their watches than the men - a smattering of Guccis amongst the better heeled of them.

Saw a young chap on the train sitting across from me with a Sub LV on the other day. Bezel wasn't set at 12. The strain of not reaching across to line it up was almost too much to bear!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MAW
    Saw a young chap on the train sitting across from me with a Sub LV on the other day. Bezel wasn't set at 12. The strain of not reaching across to line it up was almost too much to bear!!!
    :lol: I'm always doing this (with people I know). And wanting to do this with people I don't!

Master

In general, no one at my workplace wears anything decent. However, there's a post-doc in my group who regularly wears a Mark XV chronograph. And I've noticed she has a Montblanc automatic for dressier occasions as well. She is also the only one who uses a fountain pen (a 149 Meisterstuck). Apart from that there's a professor who wears an IWC Portofino. I know he's not a WIS but into things like luxury pens/pencils (which we sometimes chat about), and so tends to notice my watches. He wears the IWC like a 10-quid Casio, with scratches all over and the strap torn almost to shreds. My guess is that his wife bought him it.

Craftsman

Rolex sports- Subs and GMTs, an explorer,Tags, JLCs (MCs), Daytonas, and some clients have Pateks and things- very nice!

Islandssill

There are actually some interesting watches where I work on the weekends (I'm a student). It's a small company but two of my colleagues have a nice selection. My boss wears a steel/gold Omega De Ville on a leather strap, It's a quarts though. And he alternates it with an interesting Sjöö Sandström Royal Steel Classic 1 which is quite nice. And there is an other woman who in her rotation has a two-toned Rolex lady datejuste, a white gold (I think) Patek Philippe Twenty-4 and a gold Chopard of an unknown model. She has told me that there is an additional deep blue silk-strap to go with the Chopard for more formal occasions, but she need to go to a watchmaker to get it exchanged. I do hope to see it sometime, I imagien it will be very elegant.

I see Tag 2000,aquaracers & F1s every where igo ! by far the most common swiss watch !

i also see some SMP,PO around and alot of datejusts and the occasinal Ebel!

Know what you mean. I was in a meeting last week and there were 4 people inc. me. Three of us had Rolex's I couldn't believe my eyes. It's not like I work in the City or anything and Rollie's are generally rare here. Completley lost my concentration wtachin gtem (excuse the pun).

no one at my work is a WIS , there's a few Omega and Brietling wearers. I always see what clients wear, can't help it.

Master

One of my favourite hobbies, so far I have spotted three Subs (one LV), one Sea Dweller, two Oysters, One Daytona, three SMPs, one Navitimer and a Girrard Perrigeaux WWTC

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Always look in meetings etc and will comment if I see one I like. My cuffs usually hide mine :roll: :D
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Quote Originally Posted by tekkno
    but I have seen the occasional Rolex as well
    It never ceases to amaze me - Rolex produce a million watches annually (allegedley) WHERE do they all go?
    I .
    Its a big world out there & Rolex have universal status like mercedes benz etc

A lot of people buy the datejusts /airkings are by far the most common watches & some folk will save them for sepcial occassions etc